Not Just Tellin' Stories [Edreina]

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

An inland sea created by Ivak's cataclismic fury during the Valterrian, the Suvan Sea is a major trade route and the foremost hub for piracy in Mizahar. [lore]

Postby Razkar on March 22nd, 2013, 3:17 am

"I know of it... How much did he charge you to cross? Nevermind... not my business."

Something in Razkar told him he was best letting the question lie, but he couldn't resist cocking his head to one side and saying, "Fifty gold miza. Why, is that lot?"

He didn't often get the chance to converse normally with people. "Normally" in his case being a topic other than "who do you want dead?" or "look, do you want to fight or not?". It was... refreshing.

Then he saw Edreina wince at his words and he sighed, pinching the bridge of his nose and closing his eyes as he did so. How hard he had tried to avoid being the fool easily parted with his money, and yet...?

"Well... best know now for future, yes?"

"Would you like to walk with me? I could show you around, if you would like... Take you to a ship where you can sleep for the night?"

Ah...

Razkar was now, despite what people may have thought of his "savage" people, an especially... shall we say, over-sexed young man. But he was still just that: a young man. And when this rather lovely young lady spoke those words, images and possibilities flashed unbidden and (largely) unwanted before his eyes. His surprise must have registered because she narrowed her eyes slightly... then they popped open as if in realization-

"IhavebunkonCuttlefish!" He blurted out the words even as he knew his haste would make it sound worse, but plowed on regardless. "No, is hammock, really, and... would like you bed-I mean bed, just bed! Ah..."

Finally he hung his head and just laughed breathlessly, shaking his head.

"I... I sleep on ship. But I would love take walk. Still more of this place to see."
My Words | Your Words | Myrian | Fratavan | My Thoughts
Razkar has been cursed by Yahal, and as such finds little acceptance from others; they will instinctively view him as being deceptive and traitorous. However, when close to one blessed by Yahal, the effect is negated. The curse is etched onto his left pectoral, and viewing the mark causes others to feel dirty and unclean.
Razkar
War Is The Answer

Words: 2242619
Joined roleplay: October 8th, 2012, 12:04 am
Race: Myrian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 9
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (2)
Trailblazer (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Edreina on March 22nd, 2013, 3:37 am

Something about what she said must have registered deep within him. Unexpectedly, she saw a subtle shift in his body language, one more personal and open. One more... Oh! Edreina's eyes pop open and she represses a chuckle, placing a slender golden hand over her mouth to hide her mirth. She had not meant it quite that way, but of course she had to take into account the stranger's lack of knowledge of Common and how, with the speed at which she often speaks, he may have been unable to do anything but misunderstand her at first. She is sure that the thoughts had risen into his mind unbidden, instinctual as they are.

When he fumbles with the language, making his thoughts clear, Edreina cannot contain herself any longer. A rather unattractive, unladylike snort sounds as her laughter slips through her grip, turning into a couple of true laughs, full of the mirth that she liked to imagine only those with the footloose blood of a Svefra, before she gathers herself again. In the end, her hand is cupped over her mouth with her knuckle resting beneath her nose, not concealing either side of her broad, light reflecting smile.

After he regathers himself, looking ever so slightly crestfallen, out of his element, her smile becomes more comforting. "Well come along, I would hate for you to get lost or swindled during your time here..." She beckons for him to follow her, turning on her heel to go down the gangplank that leads towards the Flotilla's girth. His look earlier, and his fumbling speech - revealing his thoughts - cause Edreina to become more aware of the way her body moves, stiffening it so that her natural, swaying walk does not confuse her further. She ends up fearing that she is walking like one of the planks she is crossing.
Edreina
Unbound

Words: 1079180
Joined roleplay: March 18th, 2013, 1:40 am
Race: Human, Svefra
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Lore Author (1) Artist (1)
Overlored (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Razkar on March 22nd, 2013, 4:48 am

Razkar was more grateful than he let on for the walk across the decks. That sudden flash of rare embarrassment was... not something he was used to dealing with. He pondered it as the smaller female led him on, pointing out ships she'd been on, or ones with strange stories or crewmen. He'd lived as a warrior for most of his life. Female companionship was a luxury at best and a distraction at worst.

All aside from her. The one he'd walked away from.

Razkar blinked rapidly and realized she was staring at him, face flickering in the firelight. Shyke, she'd asked him something! C'mon, head on straight and stop being rude!

"Sorry, was..." he made a rapid gesture with his hand over his head, giving a sheepish smile "... far away, in head. But it is amazing, this place. I have never seen so many ships, and way they are all join, it is..."

He shook his head and turned to her, frowning.

"How do you make good with not walking on land? I think must be strange, but most Svefra I see, they seem to hate dirt. Born swimming..."
Razkar has been cursed by Yahal, and as such finds little acceptance from others; they will instinctively view him as being deceptive and traitorous. However, when close to one blessed by Yahal, the effect is negated. The curse is etched onto his left pectoral, and viewing the mark causes others to feel dirty and unclean.
Razkar
War Is The Answer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Edreina on March 22nd, 2013, 2:47 pm

Edreina led him from ship to ship, making note of where he could get a good meal, who would give him a good deal, who would try to swindle him. Along the way, she also made note of any funny story she knew, any odd crewman, any legend. Several Svefra that were still up waved at Edreina, smiling broadly, but their eyes were wary of the dark man that followed. Not unfriendly, simply wary, curious of the newcomer.

When they had made a full circle about the Flotilla's inner circle, she pauses, turning to ask over her shoulder if he needed help finding the Cuttlefish now that he had been show around a bit. When he apologizes and claims that he had been far away, she smiles and says in a gentle tone, "I know how you feel, don't worry about it... I was just wondering if you needed help returning to the Cuttlefish?"

His next question puzzles her for a moment as she attempts to understand what he is saying. Is he asking how she walks so well on a ship, or how she transitions to walking on land? She sighs and runs a hand through her hair, at the base of her skull, a nervous habit. "I don't mind the dirt... I enjoy it actually as long as it is in the form of a beach or a cave... Try to take me inland, though, and I don't feel comfortable... I feel as if the ground is too steady, no life in it... Walking upon a ship feels more natural to me... How is it for you? To be so far from your home, what you're used to?"
Edreina
Unbound

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Razkar on March 22nd, 2013, 7:54 pm

"I know how you feel, don't worry about it... I was just wondering if you needed help returning to the Cuttlefish?"

The Myrian shook his head magnanimously, looking around himself once they'd made their circuit. "Oh, no, is fine. I... ah..."

Well, that ship looks familiar... no, actually, that's... oh, could it be... no...

"... ah..." Finally he shuffled awkwardly and realized that cloaked in shadow and darkness, every deck and mast looked the same to him. He marveled anew at how the Svefra saw every single ship as unique, individual, at the merest glance. To him they were all just heaps of crafted wood with sails attached. "Yes. I was wrong. I may need some help."

"I don't mind the dirt... I enjoy it actually as long as it is in the form of a beach or a cave... Try to take me inland, though, and I don't feel comfortable... I feel as if the ground is too steady, no life in it... Walking upon a ship feels more natural to me... How is it for you? To be so far from your home, what you're used to?"

Razkar smiled warmly at her answer. He had never imagined that leaving the Jungle would result in him being fascinated in the barbarian races for any other reason than combat techniques or thrilling new challenges in battle. But after Riverfall, the Sea of Grass, the Suvan Sea... he felt some of that wanderlust that he had seen in Ayatah's eyes many times.

He'd watched her pore over books and tomes, relating to her father's desert home or the shining, mythical land of Syliras and shaken his head, bemused. What was there of interest beyond Falyndar and the light of Myri? Nothing, he had assumed. How wrong he was. To hear Edreina refer to the land as "without life", too staid and solid...

It was making more sense to him. The sea was life, fluid and ever-changing, absorbing and re-birthing. But only living with these strange barbarians had given him that insight.

"Yes, I think... I think I understand what you mean."

Then he heard her own question, and his smile faltered just a little. Falyndar. The Jungle. Womb of his kind since the beginning of the world. Did he miss it? Truly. The Myrian sighed, unconsciously stroking the tattoo on his arm: the sprawling, brawling image of a ferocious tiger battling with two Myrians, male and female, joined at the hip.

"I did not, in past." He said quietly, staring off into the night, eyes glazing as he seemed to dredge the words from memory. "But more I spend out... more I want to go home. World is so big. So many things. Beautiful. Amazing. Always those things. But home is home."

He nodded and left it at that, turning slightly so she would not see the glimmer of pain that cross his face. He remembered the turgid pain he had left his homeland in, the horror and agony his people had suffered during the Djef Storm and it felt like a knife of shame was ripping at his guts when he realized he had left it. Abandoned it.

Home is home... and your people need you...

"But!" He said abruptly, clearing his throat and moving swiftly on. "Am here, and here I am, yes? Is there usual this many? Captain Tonio, he say there are more than is usual. Some... big thing, perhaps?"
Razkar
War Is The Answer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Edreina on March 23rd, 2013, 4:29 am

When he admitted to needing help, Edreina smiled and began to lead him to the area that she knew Tonio preferred to moor. As they walked, she could hear - over her shoulder - a new tone enter the foreigner's voice. It was a tone that would enter her voice after a long time from home. No matter how much she complained about life upon the Flotilla, a week or two on her own would always cause her to become homesick.

But, the homesickness in his voice was stronger than that which would ever enter her voice. It was a painful longing that was almost tinged with regret. The power of it staggered her, and nearly made her stumble. What could make this man so full of homesickness and regret that it would carry into his normally strong visage. During their short time together, she heard mirth, curiosity, and an overall sense of confidence in this Myrian. To see him brought to such a level of lowness was a shock. Eyebrows knitted, she turns and tries to change the subject, "You never told me your name, Myrian. " She is sure that her pronunciation is a bit off, but her meaning would be recognizable - at least she hoped so.

Finally, Edreina has found the Cuttlefish, leading her companion up and onto the deck. Smiling slightly, she walks over to the mast and points at a zig-zagging green bar that wraps around the mast. "You can use this to recognize the ship..." She smiles warmly, having come to consider this former stranger a friend, despite how shortly they had known one another. There was little that Edreina valued more than the friendship of another. "If you need... anything else... Just ask around and I'm sure you'll find me. Remember, Edreina Whitewave." She smiles and walks over, care of her body control forgotten so it appears to be more of a float than a walk, offering him her thin, lightly callused hand. "It was lovely meeting you."
Edreina
Unbound

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Razkar on March 23rd, 2013, 11:45 am

How many petching weeks and you never even noticed it. Goddess save you...

Razkar chided himself afresh and smiled ruefully at the green spiral snaking around the mast of the Cuttlefish. Night still shrouded the Flotilla, and here at least that seemed to mean something: lights were doused and the crew was asleep. It was only when he returned that he realized how tired he was, and how inviting his hammock looked.

"If you need... anything else... Just ask around and I'm sure you'll find me. Remember, Edreina Whitewave."

The Myrian smiled warmly again at the woman and decided to introduce himself properly. He put back his right foot and have a clipped, military bow, right hand over his heart.

"I am Razkar of the Shorn Skulls. Son of Yurta and Zek. Honored warrior of the army of Taloba. Child of Goddess-Queen and Mistress of Falyndar, Myri..."

He looked up and flashed a small grin that spoke of something else that Edreina probably was not expecting that night. Playfulness.

"... and your servant, Mistress Edreina."

"It was lovely meeting you."

He reached out and took the hand. He had heard that among some of the barbarian races, males kissed the hands of females when they offered it as a... talisman, wasn't it? Or perhaps it was a mark of respect. He decided to avoid yet another faux pas and simply took it in his firm grip.

"I thank you for kindness. We will do again, I think."
Razkar
War Is The Answer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Edreina on March 24th, 2013, 12:32 am

Edreina smiled at his introduction and silently wondered why he had called himself her servant. Does the word have different meaning in their language? Or, was he simply saying that because she had helped him, he was at her service if help was needed at any time in the future? She sighed and resigned to keep herself from asking, instead using her now freed hand to tuck a flying strand of hair behind her ear - it was getting too long once more.

His statement that they would 'do it again' brought another wide smile to her face. She enjoyed making friends that would last for more than their stay upon the Flotilla, as she suspected this one would be. Not wanting the man to collapse and fall upon the deck, asleep, she nodded to him, smiling, and turned to leave the boat. Upon a whim, she called over her shoulder, "Perhaps, when the time comes for you to return home, I can take you. Then, you can show me your - solid - world." Grinning playfully, she skipped down the gangplank and began to walk directly through the center of the Flotilla to her own boat, on the opposite side. The night's events caused her to have a smirk the entire moonlit walk. Oh how she loved to learn new things.

OOCReady for turn in? Message me what skills you want me to include in the turn in.
Edreina
Unbound

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Anchor on April 3rd, 2013, 2:26 pm

Loot

Razkar's Find :
Skill Points
Storytelling 4
Acting 3
Investigation 2
Observation 2

Lore
Bonfires on Boats
Svefra: Nothing is Savage
Stories > Storytellers
A Gift from Little Seti
Edreina: Freckled Curiosity
A pretty lady is a pretty lady
Life of the Sea
No Place Like Home

Other Stuff
Item: a small shell with a purple spiral point on one side and some specs of gold color on the other. Nothing special, no monetary worth, but it's a nice memory.
Language: after talking so long with the people of the barbarian races, Razkar's grasp of the language has become slightly more proficient. Now more than conversational, the Myrian has a good knowledge of the more uncommon words and is becoming more aware of the subtle nuances even if he can't understand what they mean.

Edreina's Find :
Skill Points
Observation 4
Investigation 3

Lore
Stories Age Too
The Tiger and the Serpent
Riverfall: City of Sneers
Razkar: Scarred Storyteller
How to Walk Stiff as a Plank

Loved reading this guys! I especially loved Razkar's storytelling, you should do that more often. :P I prefer to award other more specific skills rather than the broad socialization skill, hence the rewards in investigation, but if you would like you can convert those into socialization. Any questions or comments go ahead and PM me!
Will be gone for a couple days, grades need lifting

The Suvan Sea

The Suvan Sea *** Fierce Currents OOC *** Current Events

Black Rock
(Temporary Responsibility)
Black Rock *** Morbid Musings OOC *** Domain Lore
Anchor
Come diving with me

Words: 155953
Joined roleplay: November 14th, 2012, 4:21 am
Race: Staff account
Office