Which Is Dead Bid To Live Again

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

An inland sea created by Ivak's cataclismic fury during the Valterrian, the Suvan Sea is a major trade route and the foremost hub for piracy in Mizahar. [lore]

Postby Razkar on April 4th, 2013, 2:35 am

Razkar watched the confrontation unfold carefully once he realized that was what it was. Having grown up with Taloba Grey, he was used to the effect, but after such an... exertion as the ritual, it has hitting him hard. Then he was Edreina and Tonio and some smug-looking barbarian talking... then arguing.

He blinked away the fog settling around his eyes and got to his feet, but by the time he did Edreina had already turned on her heel, fiery hair matching her towering expression as she rushed past him in a blur of furious movement. Even Razkar was struck dumb for a moment at her anger, just watching her go with a slack mouth...

Then his head snapped back to the two remaining barbarians.

"What happen?" He said to Tonio, ignoring the bruised male who was suddenly looking not-quite-so-smug. "Why she leave? What was said?"

Tonio narrowed his eyes slightly, oddly more comfortable talking to some snarling savage than a female of his own kin on the warpath.

"What did I tell you about questions, Myrian?"

"She is my friend." Razkar said patiently, slowly, getting every word correct and in order this time, black eyes boring into the Svefra captain to impress the importance of that to him. "So I ask question. What. Happen?"

Tonio relented by only a fraction, but it was enough to loosen his lips.

"This... gentleman," he paused over the word with reluctance, and while Razkar caught he inflection, the youth didn't seem to. Typical. "Is a passenger on my ship, the same as you, and he was assaulted by Miss Edreina. He-"

"Your friend struck me for no reason!" Mr Smug made the mistake of interrupting. Razkar's eyes slid to him and he hated the little runt on sight. His nasally, whining voice, his soft hands, silk shirt and air of entitlement. "I was merelyGRRK!"

The Myrian moved so fast that even Tonio had to take a few seconds to realize what was happening. Razkar's hand shot out and took a firm, cruel grip on the male's crotch, expression not changing at all. One firm squeeze was enough to both quell his voice and tell him that any attempt to move would be met with a very, very messy castration.

The Myrian... inhaled... smelled the salty, sweet flavor of her around him... the liquor permeating him... and his eyes narrowed in thin, wrathful slits. The attitude, the bruise, the stench of strong drink, and the undeniable fact that Edreina was a beautiful specimen of a female.

Razkar didn't speak Common, but that didn't make him stupid. Or blind.

"You not talk, boy." He snarled through gritted teeth, tweaking the sack in his hand one more time, just to make his point. "Men talk. You stay quiet. Yes?"

A furious nod and he was released, Captain Tonio standing there rigid with shock. But Razkar knew the type, and his shock would soon give was to an eruption of fury, probably ending with him getting thrown off the ship. So he decided to end this quickly, and savagely.

Just his style.

"You want people to know you let man who would rape on you ship?"

Razkar could see the surprise on Tonio's face when he let go of the boy's balls. Slowly it subsided and a furious, indignant anger replaced it, that his passenger and his ship had been the sight of a savage committing violence. When Razkar spoke again, voice low and smooth, that shock came back even harder. And with his reputation mentioned...

"How... How dare-"

"I tell good story, Captain." Razkar said with an air of satirical, biting levity. His fingers played with the pretty little shell on his belt. "See this? Gift from Svefra girl. Nice girl. Liked my story, so did many other. How you like I tell story tonight? About captain who let land-walker scum-" he spat the word with utter disgust and directed it at the cowering boy "-put hands on Svefra girl, him own kin, and take scum money more than girl honor?"

Tonio's face was at war with itself, or so it seemed. Fear and shock and apprehension and dread and murderous rage advanced, retreated, flanked and charged over and over again, but no side was really winning. Slowly, however, the hard pragmatism that had served him well was shining through...

"You still need me-"

Razkar made a dismissive noise and waved a hand, half-turning away, tracking a mop of angry red hair zigzagging across the decks. He kept his voice airy as he surveyed the myriad of ships.

"Ah, there are more ships. Other captain. Perhaps girl know one? Sure she does. I be here for a while, I think. Many nights." His eyes slid back to Tonio and the threat was clear and loud, though his words were not. "I tell story every night, Captain. I tell every Svefra in Flotilla that Captain Tonio of Cuttlefish value barbarian gold more than young girl of him own people. When summer come? Everyone know. Think that would hurt business?"

Captain Tonio was a man weathered by a lifetime at sea. Had had survived storms, sharks, beasts he did not even know the name of, pirates, even a mutiny once or twice. He had killed before, and save for one occasion felt no remorse for doing so. He was not unfamiliar with blackmail, either, but more times he had been able to just sail away from it.

But not now. Not with his own people brought into the mix.

"You threatening me, Myrian?"

Razkar took one step forward, and smiled with a mouth like a shark's.

"Most definite yes, Captain. Because this wrong."

"I need the money!"

"No!" Razkar shot back, voice rising to match the Svefra's as an accusing finger jerked up. "You want money. Not need. Scum's father give you coin, you forget what you are?"

"Careful, Myrian." Tonio said, hand sliding down to the sword at his belt. "You're pushing it."

Razkar blinked and struggled against the desire to snort. He calculated that he could have the good Captain with two pieces of iron in him before that sword could clear its scabbard... but that would be poor treatment of his transport. So instead he just shook his head, very slowly...

"You do right thing. Not wrong thing. Or I do what I say. If I had money, would pay, but do not have that many miza." The Myrian leaned back on his foot and crossed his arms, eyes cool and utterly in control of himself. "You choice."

Saying the pause was pregnant was like saying that Isurians are fond of metal. The noble boy fumed but he fumed silently, unable and totally unwilling to open his mouth after that marked and bedecked savage had treated him so. He would be sure to tell his father about this; father always took care of messes like this. Tonio breathed slowly and deeply, weighing his options...

"... the boy will have to find another ship."

"What?!" Finally there was an explosion (well, more of a strangled, squeaky squawk) from the youth. "Captain, my father will-"

"Get his money back, minus your expenses so far." Tonio's nose wrinkled distastefully and Razkar was happy to see that the Captain secretly had pretty much the same opinion of the drunken fool as he did. "Based on mead and wine alone, that may take come calculation. In the meantime, pack your things. I have a few other captains I can call on to take you on."

The boy's mouth opened and closed a dozen times, quickly, but despite everything, Razkar was not smiling. Gloating was something he did not do often, and then only over a dying and especially hated enemy. This was... dirty. Having to bandy words and make threats to talk, not act, it jarred with his warrior's soul.

It would be easier back home. We'd just cut his dick off.

Finally the boy screwed up his tiny reserve of courage and straightened his non-existent shoulders. He raised a finger and Razkar could see some pithy barbarian insult forming behind his lips. When he opened his mouth, Razkar's lips slid open and every one of his filed teeth were visible. Not he was not smiling. Not even then.

"What you say. What you threaten. Not matter. I will be waiting."

Then he turned on his heel and went after the girl.

Which was not an easy task. Edreina was as graceful on solid ground (or wood) as she was on water, and her knowledge only added to it. She knew every deck her feet hit and the best way across them. Razkar was nearly decapitated by a passing boon and fell into the Suvan once, missing a zipline. But finally, soaking wet and exhausted, he closed the gap, reached out to grasp her shoulder-

-and got a fist in the jaw for his troubles.

Polished and carved oak greeted the back of his head with a dull thunk!
Last edited by Razkar on April 4th, 2013, 10:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
My Words | Your Words | Myrian | Fratavan | My Thoughts
Razkar has been cursed by Yahal, and as such finds little acceptance from others; they will instinctively view him as being deceptive and traitorous. However, when close to one blessed by Yahal, the effect is negated. The curse is etched onto his left pectoral, and viewing the mark causes others to feel dirty and unclean.
Razkar
War Is The Answer

Words: 2242619
Joined roleplay: October 8th, 2012, 12:04 am
Race: Myrian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 9
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (2)
Trailblazer (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Edreina on April 4th, 2013, 3:40 am

OOCTotally did not notice the shift in language there, hm? Haha! It's ok... Great post! ^_^

Sharp, jolting pain ran through Edreina's fine hand, a twisting feeling in her wrist as her doubled fingers encountered something more dense than expected, sending it to a hard stop so quickly that her arm continued forward, wrist arching in an odd way. Yelping sharply, Edreina immediately retracted her hand and placed it against her stomach, cradling its throbbing, numb mass. Her eyes squinted on their own accord, fighting back tears of shock. Petch! That hurt!!! The thought was more stunned than anything. When she had hit the boy the first time, his jaw felt like jelly against the mug. But this time... Edreina opened her eyes, hoping that she had inflicted at least equal damage.

Razkar? Lying upon the deck was her Myrian friend, not the pale enemy from earlier. "Oh gods!" She said quietly, eyes widened, uninjured hand flying to cover her mouth. But, to her great surprise and joy, the Myrian was already sitting up, a look of utter shock, and slight amusement upon his face. "I'm so sorry!" she said in a small voice, kneeling slowly before him, in the middle of a large palivar's deck. No one was around, but Edreina was afraid of the situation being misunderstood.

Reaching the deck, Edreina habitually brushes her hair behind her ear, hissing in pain as she pushes with her injured fingers. "I'm so very sorry about that..." She says quietly to the Myrian, looking down at the deck in sudden shame for her actions. Silly impulsive, irrational girl... her mind scolds in the silence. She just hopes that her new friend won't be too angry. Suddenly, it all seems very foolish. She should not have let her anger take hold, she should have let Laviku punish Tonio's behavior... Silently, she wondered when was the last time that he paid a portion of his earnings to Laviku for safe passage. You get what you give... He would not be the first captain to get too greedy and lose it all because of it.

Edreina
Unbound

Words: 1079180
Joined roleplay: March 18th, 2013, 1:40 am
Race: Human, Svefra
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Lore Author (1) Artist (1)
Overlored (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Razkar on April 4th, 2013, 7:46 am

"Myri's bloody teeth..."

Razkar mumbled the curse and rubbed his... yes, by the gods and all their dangly bits, it was sore. Not bruised, but he did feel the pain there. So, he hadn't dreamed it. She did punch him. More than that, she'd actually knocked him down! A more prideful part of him stuttered and blustered that it was just because she had, er, taken him by surprise, but... still...

He chuckled lowly and actually smiled up at her, taking her hand and hauling himself upright.

"Not bad." He was still rubbing and took his hand away to work his jaw left to right. A twinge and a squeak here and there, but otherwise he was good. "But need practice."

The Myrian stepped back a few feet and put his his arms, elbows close, fists up. An clipped, instructional tone entered his voice seamlessly, remembered and conjured easily from his days training greenies in Taloba.

"Work better if you twist arm. Like this..."

His right arm moved forwards slowly, straightening... his knuckles a vertical line at the edge of his fist... and then, halfway through the motion, his shoulder rolled inwards, and the line of knuckles became... horizontal... roughly the time his arm straightened out all the way.

"Make punch much better. More power. Also-" he repeated the move but stepped forwards with his right side, shoulder rolling as he did so "-make step, too. Make power much better because you move into punch. Oh, and ah..."

He couldn't help the smile as he nodded to her bruised fingers.

"Hit with knuckles. Not fingers. Or break hand. And not let anyone tell you otherwise. It always hurt when punch. You just get use to it."

A chuckle shared between them and all that bitter bile Razkar had felt earlier during his little bit of blackmail faded from him. Ah, a microsm of his own problem, was it not? Not living in the past and embracing the present? Forgetting the pains or irritations of history and moving on into an unknown and exciting future?

Perhaps. Philosophy could wait. Apparently, he had a new student... and he had returned her favor.

"By way," he said as she tried to ape his stance, "You not have to leave ship. I talk with Tonio. Problem is gone."
Razkar has been cursed by Yahal, and as such finds little acceptance from others; they will instinctively view him as being deceptive and traitorous. However, when close to one blessed by Yahal, the effect is negated. The curse is etched onto his left pectoral, and viewing the mark causes others to feel dirty and unclean.
Razkar
War Is The Answer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Edreina on April 4th, 2013, 6:38 pm

Edreina hauled herself up at the same time as the Myrian, using the leverage of one another's weight to rise. As he worked his jaw again, Edreina could not help but to smile with a quiet pride. I just knocked down a Myrian! she let herself think, glowing subtly in the compliment. But, that pride was shuttered slightly when the Myrian took a fighting stance. The confusion was short lived as he began to instruct her. Quick to mimic his pose - though her arms were held more loosely and not as close together - Edreina began to absorb information, automatically falling into the role of a student.

Nodding at his instructions, she attempted to imitate his motion. She began to stretch out her right arm, slowly, leaning as he had. But, the motion felt wrong, punching with her right arm felt as ill equipped as trying to pick something up with her foot. Brow knotted in confusion, she tried again, speeding up the motion to see if that would help any - it did not. For a moment she stood there, blue eyes darting about - unseeing - as her mind tried to piece together a way to make this action more natural. As if possessed, she struck out with her left hand. This time, the motion was fluid, and strong. Perhaps, despite being right-handed, her left arm was more suited to physical tasks. Edreina always found herself with the tiller on her left side, but had attributed it to the fact that the strings were easier to manipulate in her right hand. Perhaps that was not the cause at all; perhaps it was just that her left arm was more naturally suited to fighting the strong currents that would tug and pull at the tiller.

Smiling slightly, Edreina swung with her left arm again, this time stepping as she had been instructed. At this point, she noted that something else feels off... her wrist, she realized. This time, when she swung, she angled her wrist so that the first two knuckles on her hand would bear the brunt of the assault, saving her more delicate fingers from fracture - the two that are still throbbing on her right hand. Of all the times she and Surai had play fought, neither of them had paid much attention to form, only to overpowering one another; the only punches thrown were mock-punches made to make the sibling twinge away long enough to be tackled to the ground.

"By way... you not have to leave ship. I talk with Tonio. Problem is gone."

The statement pulled Edreina from her own thoughts as she continued to practice the punch, each time making little adjustments - and memorizing them deep within the muscles themselves. At this point, she stopped, dropping her arms. Tonio... the cursed captain's name dripped into her mind like sludge, dense and sour. Blue eyes darting to meet near black with a sense of urgency, she speaks quickly, but simply. "If you sail with him again, you have to promise me to make sure he pays tribute to Laviku. If not..." she pauses and looks away, considering the implications. Something deep within Edreina told her that he had not paid a fair amount of tribute in too long... "Do not sail with him. I will find you another, fairer captain. Just please, do not sail with Tonio if he doesn't change his ways." Edreina was ever so slightly confused by her own care for the well-being of this Myrian. He was not Svefra, he was an outsider... but he was her friend. If Tonio's ship went down... The Myrian would likely go down with it. She remembered with a twinge that he had said he could not swim in deep water... That would really cause him trouble in the future, upon this ship island, if he is not constantly careful and vigilant.

"I need to teach you how to swim..." She blurts, blue eyes displaying the sense of urgency she felt. "If you are going to remain here for much longer, or sail across the Suvan once more... you should know how to swim. I am surprised that you have lasted this long as of yet."
Edreina
Unbound

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Razkar on April 4th, 2013, 10:22 pm

She was not a natural fighter, that much Razkar could see. He doubted if she'd thrown many punches in her life, but in that case, all the better for her today! She knocked down two men in one bell. Such promise was reassuring.

She learned fast, though. He watched her critically as they practiced over and over, arms jutting forward and back, punches becoming smoother, quicker, stronger. The Myrian smiled with satisfaction as he saw her confidence rise with each passing chime.

Won't be fit for the Training Yards yet, but... promising.

"If you sail with him again, you have to promise me to make sure he pays tribute to Laviku. If not..."

He cocked his head to one side when she looked away, genuine worry and concern unmistakable in her eyes. He felt touched in a way he hadn't for long months; that someone he had only just met could fret so over his safety.

"Do not sail with him. I will find you another, fairer captain. Just please, do not sail with Tonio if he doesn't change his ways."

He nodded slowly, not fully understanding what she was warning against, but knowing she would not burden him with trivialities. Laviku... he had heard of the deity. He was as inconstant and changeable as the oceans and seas that he ruled over; tributes to him were the sincerest form of appeasement, for any lack of respect shown could result in the fury of... well, a storm. Even a stalwart vessel like the Cuttlefish would flounder under but an insulted breath from the God of Seas.

"I will. I promise." And he meant it.

"I need to teach you how to swim. If you are going to remain here for much longer, or sail across the Suvan once more... you should know how to swim. I am surprised that you have lasted this long as of yet."

The urgency in her voice shone through so bright it was verging on a kind of panic, and Razkar decided he had to put an end to this. He stepped forward and put a hand on her shoulder. She stiffened as the big, callused hand squeezed gently, but only for a second. When she looked up, he was smiling, with his eyes and lips both.

"I let you teach me. Will be fun. But I must do things today. Must train." He dipped his head a little bit, as if peering deeper into her. "But I see you tonight. Maybe I tell story. Yes?"
Razkar
War Is The Answer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Edreina on April 4th, 2013, 10:52 pm

Edreina shook her head lightly, clearing it. Her emotions were mildly unstable, she realized, because of her lack of sleep. A nap on her deck was in order. In the process of sorting out her mind, Edreina was surprised to feel Razkar's hand alight upon her shoulder, squeezing lightly. Looking up, she was surprised to see a smile on his face, brightening his usually dark eyes instead of the offense she had expected at being worried over by an obviously physically inferior female. Oh! But... females are considered to be superior in Myrian culture... she remembered. This must be one of the few times that a female other than his mother or mate had worried about him... it was likely an honor in his mind...

"I let you teach me. Will be fun. But I must do things today. Must train."

The assurance calmed Edreina slightly, and brought a small smile to her lips. "Oh! Sounds nice! Some other day, then... I must... well... sleep, to be quite honest. I feel as if I can actually do it now..." The day's - night's? - events had worn away the part of Edreina that had been tugging at her sails, begging to be fully trimmed and set on a course for adventure. She had certainly had one tonight.

"But I see you tonight. Maybe I tell story. Yes?"

Another Myrian tale? The thought was too enticing to pass up! Before she knew it, Edreina was nodding emphatically, smiling widely, fiery mane bouncing merrily. "Until then, I suppose?" She said, taking a step back. Edreina could not hide the hope in that question, something about this Mryian drew her in, fascinated her. Like a cave with a thousand passages, she could not explore all of it in one go. She needed to take a breath, refocus her curiosity, and then dive back in. Teaching him to swim would give her the opportunity to learn a lot, herself. After reorienting herself, Edreina set off at a quick clip across the ships, hands tucked behind her back as she traveled, not really seeing, musing over the events of the day, quelling her excitement for what is to cpme.

Edreina
Unbound

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Anchor on April 9th, 2013, 9:18 pm

Loot

Razkar's Find :
Skill Points
Malediction 4
Carving 3
Intimidation 3
Teaching 2

Lore
The Flotilla Never Sleeps
Myrian: Older than Common
Edreina: From the Water She Came
Edreina: Similar to a Memory
A Primal, Animalistic State of Mind
Taming the New Beast Within
Edreina: Uncommonly Kind
Tonio: Irreverent Svefra Captain
Tonio: Coin over Kin
Tonio: Blackmail Works
Edreina: Fast Learner
Svefra: A Better Kind of Barbarian
A World of Monsters

Other Stuff
Pendents of the Primal Predator - During an adrenaline spike, the wearer can call upon the lion's strength to stalk his or her prey, focusing the mind and heightening awareness slightly in a tense moment as well as making it easier to sneak like a predator. However, the longer this is used the greater the chance of slipping into a primal rage, a feral anger more powerful than words because of the animalistic nature that makes the wearer dangerous to all around him or her and remain blithely unaware of any physical damage sustained. One must calm this emergent beast before their state of mind can return to normal, and the effects - even when not turned to rage - will always drain the wearer of energy.

Edreina's Find :
Skill Points
Swimming 3
Investigation 4
Brawling 4

Lore
Dropping is Faster
A Dangerous Game Beneath the Boats
Frightening a Myrian
Razkar: Strange Man, Stranger Magics
Malediction: More Powerful Than Vision
Malediction: Men Become Beasts
Familiar with Feral Fear
Razkar's Gladius, Elanosa's Bone
Malediction: Power from the Bones
The Subjectivity of Barbarism
An Unkind and Rough Interest
A Knuckle Twist Means Better Bitchslap
Tonio: Coin over Kin
Falyndar: Nothing like the Sea

Other Stuff

It feels wrong that there are relatively few skill points for such a long thread, so please please please let me know if I missed anything. Wonderful story though! Particularly liked Edreina defending herself and Razkar pulling his dirty blackmail on Tonio. Welcome to politics Myrian. :P Bit of a lore splurge as well, lots of things happening, so apologies in advance for all the updating you have to do. Cheers guys, and keep these threads coming!

Also found it interesting that Razkar didn't react to Edrei's lack of outerwear. Let's see if he remembers next thread. :D
Will be gone for a couple days, grades need lifting

The Suvan Sea

The Suvan Sea *** Fierce Currents OOC *** Current Events

Black Rock
(Temporary Responsibility)
Black Rock *** Morbid Musings OOC *** Domain Lore
Anchor
Come diving with me

Words: 155953
Joined roleplay: November 14th, 2012, 4:21 am
Race: Staff account
Office