Sink or Swim [Razkar&Uleru]

Edreina teaches Razkar to swim before taking a plunge of her own. One will sink and the other will swim.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

An inland sea created by Ivak's cataclismic fury during the Valterrian, the Suvan Sea is a major trade route and the foremost hub for piracy in Mizahar. [lore]

Postby Razkar on April 17th, 2013, 12:18 pm

The story became a play as much as anything else now, the Myrian whirling and dancing around the flames as he acted out the fight between the two God and the Usurper. The children murmured and squealed alternately as he hacked at the air with his ax or thrust with his gladius, their parents exchanged apprehensive looks.

The Old Beard just smiled and held up one hand. That was enough for them, Razkar noticed.

"The fight rage and rage!" He shouted, parrying an invisible enemy and circling him, teeth bared. "But even though Myri was strong and fierce, she was still mortal, and gods have tricks. Ruros beat her weapon away-"

He barked out a war cry and his ax flew from his hand as if struck, gladius reversing, flashing towards his chest to the screams of his crowd-

-and froze. An inch from his guts.

His face became a mask of agonized defeat. Even the drums stopped in shock and soon all that could be heard on the deck was the indifferent crackling of the flames...

"Ruros... pierce Myri..." Razkar said, the pain in his voice hardly needing to be faked. The idea of the Goddess-Queen being injured in such a way... it was almost unthinkable. But these were the Old Times, and this was her genesis... and ascension. "He gloat as his sword went into her gut..."

He stood up, miming the act of twisting his gladius sadistically, relishing his unseen enemy's pain. Even the older children squirmed now, and a couple of the younger one huddled closed to their siblings. Razkar pressed on, knowing he was close to his crescendo.

"All was lost... Myrians in throne room, they weep and cry and roar. They not believe Myri could be hurt. But she went down... to one knee..." and so did Razkar, free hand vanishing from sight... only to leap up-

-and he jerked to his feet, lakan from his back sheath stabbed forward ahead of him in a blink, grim smile of bloody victory on his face.

"-and with new strength she plunged her glaive into Ruros chest. God Of War just laugh, no weapon... could... defeat..."

The Myrian toppled as if sickened by an unseen pallor, miming the last, disbelieving moments of Ruros as he staggered, bisected and impaled in that throne room centuries ago. He looked up in desperation.

"How... how can... this be...?"

Razkar's face morphed into that same look of grim victory, onyx eyes shining with cunning and satisfaction. He held up the gleaming lakan.

"The Ash'dene." He said, whispering the name like the blessing it was to his people. "The Battle Glaive... of Dira herself...!"

A shocked ripple ran through the group. Razkar chuckled as he saw some children jabber excitedly, cover their mouth. The elders were even enjoying the show, some of them having heard the same tale before but most not from a flesh-and-blood Myrian.

"She beat God of War... with cunning. She make deal with Dira. She win fight... before she even draw her blade... And Ruros fell, for Dira claim all, even gods..."

Razkar rose to his full height, arms spread wider and wider until his shadows were cast like an enormous bird of prey across the crowd. His voice was reverent, powerful but subdued, humbled by the being whose bravery and cunning and skill and sheer will had forged a new empire from a race of savages, who had slain a god and was now exulted wherever warriors clashed...

"And Myri took his heart... and his head... and his throne among the gods..."
My Words | Your Words | Myrian | Fratavan | My Thoughts
Razkar has been cursed by Yahal, and as such finds little acceptance from others; they will instinctively view him as being deceptive and traitorous. However, when close to one blessed by Yahal, the effect is negated. The curse is etched onto his left pectoral, and viewing the mark causes others to feel dirty and unclean.
Razkar
War Is The Answer

Words: 2242619
Joined roleplay: October 8th, 2012, 12:04 am
Race: Myrian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 9
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (2)
Trailblazer (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Edreina on April 17th, 2013, 2:55 pm

At the completion of the tale, everyone voiced their praise with applause and shouts. The little ones swarmed around Razkar quickly, looking up at the savage without fear as they assaulted him with questions or compliments until their parents managed to tow them off one by one, to settle them down for the next story were one to be told.

The night was wearing on and Edreina noticed that many were beginning to slink off, in family groups of simple pairs. Across the flickering flame, she saw her parents engaged in conversation with another pair of Svefra, much younger, with a baby in the woman's arms. In the silence, a snore rang out. Looking down, Edreina noticed that Surai had fallen asleep, cheek rested upon his fist as elbow balanced upon his crossed leg. Usually, about now, he would be attempting to weave himself into the groups of females that remained, to flirt his way into their company. He must have been awfully tired...

Grinning, Edreina leaned down behind him, getting right up next to his ear. Glancing up at Zindr, she noted their similar, madly grinning expressions. Upon her sister's nod, Edreina let out a hoarse cry, right into her brother's ear. His body seized up immediately, eyes darting up. In the instant after the cry, he was attempting to stand up and run away from the sound, groggy limbs failing him quickly as his running became tipped and he ended up plowing into the mast with a thud. Edreina and her sister burst into childish laughter at their prank as their brother fell to the deck with a limp thud.

Holding each other to keep from toppling over the railing, the sisters continued to laugh Surai sat up, shaking his head before giving up and flopping back down onto his back, limbs splayed like a starfish. At the point that tears began to gather in their eyes, Zindr nudged Edreina sharply in the ribs with her elbow, surprising her into an instant of silence. Zindr motioned with a quick nod to the approaching Razkar. As he made his way over, Zindr nudged her sister once more and gave her an eyebrow-waggling look, earning a glare and a shove from the younger sibling.

Recovering from the last chortles of laughter, wiping her eyes, Edreina motioned to Razkar and stated his name, then to her sister.

"You told a great story," Zindr complimented once introductions were made. "I had never really understood the mystique of the Myrians and their Myri until now... Can one who is not Myrian pray to Her?" She asked, knowing that sometimes a god would favor a particular race, at least slightly. Her blue-green eyes shone with curiosity and fascination.

To her side, Edreina sat quietly, smiling to herself as an odd feeling of contentment crossed over her. It had been a long, wearing day and she silently was glad that it had ended this way, despite her blunders. After the Myrian and her sister spoke more, she stood, stretching with her arms over her head and then leaning back a touch, banishing the stiffness from her muscles. "I hate to cut things off when the night is yet so young, but my hammock is calling my name."

Zindr seemed disappointed but did not argue, looking over to the blond haired man that had joined their parents - her partner. "I'll see you tomorrow, yes?" She asked, standing up to hug her sister who nodded fiercely despite how her eyelids seemed to become heavier with each passing second. The siblings looked over to their brother and smiled, silently deciding to leave him where he lay.

After Zindr departed, Edreina turned back to Razkar, holding her left elbow with her right hand. "Do you need help finding The Cuttlefish, again?" she teased, smiling up at her friend.
Last edited by Edreina on April 26th, 2013, 1:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Edreina
Unbound

Words: 1079180
Joined roleplay: March 18th, 2013, 1:40 am
Race: Human, Svefra
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Lore Author (1) Artist (1)
Overlored (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Razkar on April 17th, 2013, 8:43 pm

He somewhat expected the applause, but the gaggle of tiny, padding figures that surrounded him with jabbering questions was a surprise. The Myrian actually choked back a laugh as Svefra children surged up and started pawing at him, every question overlapping the last in its urgency.

"What happened to Ruros after? Did he die die or just story die?"

"Was she pretty? I heard that Myri was a beast-headed monster."

"Does Myri still have the glaive? Does it still have his blood on it?"

"Weroni, that's disgusting! Mister Myrian, how do your things stay in that loincloth?"

"P-Pardon?!"

I... I never really thought about it before...

Fortunately the little monsters' wardens arrived to restore some kind of order, wading into the throng and sending curious critters running with scolds and playful pats on the rear. Razkar was still standing there in astonishment at their lack of fear towards him when-

-a harsh, savage bark, and his hands flew to his weapons, only this time he was not playing-

Thunk!

Something tall and tanned with blond hair ran headlong into a mast and there was an awesome crunch as his head bopped into it. Even Razkar winced in sympathy when the male's head snapped back.

"Hssss... not fun..."

Of course, he should have known Edreina was at the core of the commotion. She was almost in tears on the deck, hands clasped over her stomach, face so red with laughter that her cheeks were almost in pain. Another female was next to her, perhaps a relative.

Razkar shook his head with a fond smile. Trouble, that one. Woe betide the male who finally snares her... or she him.

"Is this how fun is had among females here?" He said with mock severity as he approached, poking the motionless and groaning male at his feet with a toe. "Tormenting defenceless males?"

Introductions were swiftly made once Edreina had managed to swallow all or most of her mirth. Upon hearing Zindr's name, Razkar executed the same low, respectful bow towards the blood-kin of his friend.

"A pleasure to meet the blood of Edreina. I am Razkar of the Shorn Skulls, Mistress."

"You told a great story. I had never really understood the mystique of the Myrians and their Myri until now... Can one who is not Myrian pray to Her?"

Razkar bowed respectfully at her praise, hiding the proud little smile that he was sure Edreina caught. The female was clearly related to her, but a little older, a little thicker, with the hooded look of one who has seen much and been hardened by it. He cocked his head at her last question and pondered it.

"Of course you can worship. I am on the domain of Laviku, and if I needed, I would make offering to him. Before battle, I make offering to Myri. Her children," he said, more pride creeping into his voice, "will have best place in her eyes. But all person who make respect to her, in her place, like battle, they are heard."

Zindr seemed to turn this over in her head, firelight casting shadows over her lined face. Finally she frowned and looked up again.

"She is the goddess of victory, also, is she not?"

"Yes. All victory." Now it was Razkar's turn to frown. Despite being one of Myri's Chosen, he had to admit that he didn't often ponder on the nature of her grace or her power. To Myrians, she simply was. Her power was without question and limit, at least in Falyndar. But the specifics... those were for the priests. "If person struggles and tries hard, and overcome, that is victory. Could be battle. Could be... race." He chuckled and shrugged. "Could be trying to learn for books! All is victory. But victory made with steel and blood..."

He nodded, some trace of his natural Myrian ferocity and battle-lust creeping into his shark-toothed smile.

"... that is where Myri is found strongest."

"I hate to cut things off when the night is yet so young, but my hammock is calling my name."

Conversation broken by Edreina's yawn-punctuated words, the two of them were not offended. Zindr offered her farewells and goodnights, almost dragging the glowering male whose name Razkar had not yet caught with her. The rest of the deck had almost cleared, talking and debating Svefra probably deciding what the next tale would be.

Razkar and Edreina did not seem to notice them. The fire crackled and the voices surrounded them, but they were alone in their final moments of the day.

"Do you need help finding The Cuttlefish, again?"

Razkar narrowed his eyes slightly, catching the teasing edge in her voice.

"Savage will find it just fine, thank you," he said with his own edge, but followed it immediately with a wink and a smile. A chuckle between them, and there was less tension once it was over than there had been before. An undercurrent of... something. Nameless. Sad. Stymied and killed before it could even come to life.

But not mourned to the point of fracture. Not missed and so essential that their friendship would suffer.

Razkar stepped forward and wrapped the Svefra in a brief, tight hug, careful to keep the... less controllable parts of his body away from her. His words were soft in her ear, but... firm enough. A barrier raised, almost begrudgingly, but now they both knew why it had to be there.

"Sleep well, Mistress Edreina. Thank you for a wonderful day."
My Words | Your Words | Myrian | Fratavan | My Thoughts
Razkar has been cursed by Yahal, and as such finds little acceptance from others; they will instinctively view him as being deceptive and traitorous. However, when close to one blessed by Yahal, the effect is negated. The curse is etched onto his left pectoral, and viewing the mark causes others to feel dirty and unclean.
Razkar
War Is The Answer

Words: 2242619
Joined roleplay: October 8th, 2012, 12:04 am
Race: Myrian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 9
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (2)
Trailblazer (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Edreina on April 17th, 2013, 10:35 pm

"Savage will find it just fine, thank you."

Caught off guard by his answer, Edreina snorted then fell into a quick laugh, smiling brightly after it faded. She could feel that things were right between them once again.

The hug, however, was odd. It was tight about the shoulders but his body shied away from her as if a wall rested between them. In the name of... It's not like I'm going to leap upon him and... Edreina's mind snorted with brief indignation, overrulling the nearly silent part of her that tried to pipe up that that it might of been his reaction that Razkar feared, not hers. That part was silenced quickly.

"Sleep well, Mistress Edreina. Thank you for a wonderful day."

His breath tickled her ear, making tendrils of hair dance wildly. With a small, gentle smile, she pulled away, nodding. "And you as well... Master Razkar." The title felt foreign, rough on her tongue to the point that she smiled at the sheer oddity of it.

Edreina turned on her heel and set off for her own ship, quickly leaving the warmth and light of the bonfire. Here and there, clusters of Svefra remained upon the decks, socializing. But, for the most part, Edreina was alone as she walked, bathed in Leth's gaze. As it always did, the sensation of loneliness caused a dull ache to appear in the center of Edreina's chest, permeating her already tired limbs and quickly sapping the rest of their strength. It would never fail to astonish her how alone one could feel, despite the masses that surrounded them.
Edreina
Unbound

Words: 1079180
Joined roleplay: March 18th, 2013, 1:40 am
Race: Human, Svefra
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Lore Author (1) Artist (1)
Overlored (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Anchor on April 25th, 2013, 9:14 pm

Loot

Edreina's Find :
Skill Points
Swimming 5
Teaching 3

Lore
Teaching: Examples are Excellent
Swimming: Backstroke
Swimming: Breath Control
Swimming: Forward Stroke
Uleru: Friendly Curiosity
Razkar: Doesn't Like Surprises
Razkar: Promised to Another
Razkar: Close Friend
Myri: Slayer of Ruros
Myri: Strength and Cunning
Zindr: Wizened and War-ready

Player 2's Find :
Skill Points
Swimming 4
Brawling 1
Storytelling 4
Acting 3

Lore
Dolphins: Rounded Features
Whales: Enormous Air-breathers
Keai: Water Cows?
Not all that swims are fish
Swimming: Backstroke
Swimming: Breath Control
Swimming: Forward Stroke
Uleru: Typical Otani
Otani: Children of Laviku
Uleru: Infuriatingly Playful
Edreina: Interest in Razkar
Edreina: What Cannot Be
Zindr: Sister of Edreina
Zindr: Wizened and War-ready
Edreina: Prankster

Uleru's Find :
Skill Points
Swimming 3
Intimidation 1

Lore
Razkar: Amusing Myrian
Razkar: Promised to Another
Razkar: Doesn't Like Surprises
Edreina: Interest in Razkar?
Edreina: Friend Above the Waves

Sorry for the late grade you three.

Fun thread, really enjoyed reading it! Won't complain to see that Edreina finally sees some consequences for her pranks. :P Nice drama, nice internal struggles, if I say any more I'll probably go into broken-record mode. Always a pleasure to read your threads, so keep them coming for as long as you can! :D
Will be gone for a couple days, grades need lifting

The Suvan Sea

The Suvan Sea *** Fierce Currents OOC *** Current Events

Black Rock
(Temporary Responsibility)
Black Rock *** Morbid Musings OOC *** Domain Lore
Anchor
Come diving with me

Words: 155953
Joined roleplay: November 14th, 2012, 4:21 am
Race: Staff account
Office