Open The Ink Under My Skin

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

An inland sea created by Ivak's cataclismic fury during the Valterrian, the Suvan Sea is a major trade route and the foremost hub for piracy in Mizahar. [lore]

The Ink Under My Skin

Postby Razkar on May 14th, 2013, 12:12 am

The style and design may have been different, but the pain was pretty identical. The Myrian breathed slowly, steadily, forcing himself to... detach, somewhat, from his own body and just let the man work. Focusing on the pain too hard would only enhance it, and he knew the process would not be quick.

“Why do you get a skull for each kill? Why mark yourself with death that is, apparently, so meaningless to you?”

Well, that should kill some time.

More than he knew, actually, because he did not respond right away. The sounds of the Flotilla crashed and chattered around them but Razkar did not speak, looking inwards and... frowning. Why did he mark himself? He'd been doing it for so long it was almost instinctive. How many skulls bedecked his back now? Forty? Eighty? More than a hundred?

Then he felt that familiar swell, undercut by something less familiar (or just less welcome), and chose his words carefully.

"So they are remembered. By me and by the Goddess-Queen. It say I am great warrior and..." a flicker of doubt crossed his eyes until he ruthlessly squashed it. This was not the place to start questioning who and what he was. "...a true child of Myri. I think you would call "ego". That is word for when do things for own mind, own feeling."

Another burning sting was added to him and he counted... yes, that was six. Razkar turned his attention back to Edreina and favored her with the ghost of a smile.

"Death does not mean no thing to me. That is why I remember them." His eyes clouded again, but they became unreadable. They were lost in times past. "All lives I take, they were in fight. In battle. Others were... not able to avoid. Were duty, ah... nec... necessity?"

The Myrian frowned again and paused as a new swirl of questions entered his head, but fell back on that Myrian mentality he had always possessed. Whatever doubt was there was replaced by some cold, hard and merciless.

"But I do not regret. Not just warrior, Edreina. Am killer. That means am good at it." His gaze fired with that battle lust she recognized well. "Gods know. Men know, when look at those skulls, that death is not meaningless. Death is my faith and my prof... profession."

The final tattoo was finished off and Razkar hauled himself upright without much difficulty. It wasn't exactly his first time.

"A man should take pride in what he is good at."

Pingere slapped a jar of that same green goo into his hand before he's even finished moving.

"You get the same, Myrian. I know I'm only adding to another's work, but I'm not going to have my art spoiled." The older man nodded judiciously at the plethora of images on Razkar's body, clearly impressed. "Some of these... wonderful. I only wish your inkers had better tools. Bone and bamboo stalks, correct?"

Razkar's expression of introspective seriousness was wiped away in a moment, replaced by surprise.

"Y-Yes!"

"Hmm. Ink was a combination of ash and dye from... looks like madder plants."

"Er... I do not know the name, but... yes. Plants and ash. How...?"

Pingere waved one hand away, frown creasing as if the question was of no consequence. Razkar supposed that to him, it was. The old inker spoke as he began packing away his tools with excessive care, washing each on of with a little bottle of rubbing alcohol first.

"There is an expression, Myrian: it takes one to know one. Show me ink on a man, and I can tell you the how and the what, probably the when, too." Sharp eyes under bushy eyebrows set into an old, wrinkled face met his and twinkled. A brief smile flashed. "But the why? Well... that's all up to the man."

Razkar couldn't argue with that, but he knew that artist as Pingere was, he still had a business to run and a belly to fill. The old man turned as he heard the chink and tinkle of metal on metal, saw the Myrian gratefully hold out a handful of gold mizas.

Grateful. He was sure to make sure that was his expression. Not merely paying for a product like one would at a market, with no passion or emotion between buyer and seller. This was almost... tribute. Respect shown to an artist for his fine work.

"Five gold mizas, sir. Forgive me, I am not sure how Svefra trade or buy, but... will you take?"
My Words | Your Words | Myrian | Fratavan | My Thoughts
Razkar has been cursed by Yahal, and as such finds little acceptance from others; they will instinctively view him as being deceptive and traitorous. However, when close to one blessed by Yahal, the effect is negated. The curse is etched onto his left pectoral, and viewing the mark causes others to feel dirty and unclean.
Razkar
War Is The Answer

Words: 2242619
Joined roleplay: October 8th, 2012, 12:04 am
Race: Myrian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 9
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (2)
Trailblazer (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

The Ink Under My Skin

Postby Uleru on May 14th, 2013, 3:48 am

"Oh-ho! I've seen more morally conscious sea sponges, Razkar", Uleru cackles as the gold rimmed coins change hands. "A professional murderer, imagine!" It's the simplified version of everything he's just said, admittedly. But not only does he profess to be a connoisseur of the blade, he just admitted he has killed people for his own ego.

Uleru has had plenty of reason to find Razkar dangerous, and she takes it all to heart. Though she hides behind the protection of her element and Edreina's friendship, assuming the Myrian wouldn't skewer her for the evening meal in front of the red-headed Svefra he's befriended. But she's never feared him. All of his responses come across as a challenge, and, behind said protection, she's always found him playful and amusing.

Now she fears for Edreina. She catches the Svefra's eye in the corner of hers and raises a translucent eyebrow. Shorthand for: 'What the gods have you been running after', as directly translated to facial expression.

The old Svefra takes no notice of the moulding, but excepts Razkar's offer with a strong grip and a two-pump handshake. "That'll be fine, Myrian", he answers. Through the Svefra use trade instead of currency, they are not above another races coin. "Glad I could add a few of my own threads to the fine tapestry."

Uleru becomes quickly disinterested in the mens conversation, and turns to Edreina instead. "Lets go. You must show off your new art to everyone who'll listen! It's customary to flex your pretentiousness after such a procedure", she teases. The Otani pulls herself back over the railing and perches precariously on the edge, tail draped over the side where it throws fractured light across the side of the ship.

"Our Myrian may join us too, if he pleases", she winks, holding out her hand in invitation. "As long as he promises to leave our people off his carefully illustrated back. Guess that'll make me your babysitter."

OOC :
I couldn't really contrive a reason why Uleru would stay on this ship any longer. You can refuse her offer to leave if you'd like, and she will swim away dejectedly (depending on if the refusal is simply verbal or a knuckle sandwich up the face pipe) and I'll exit the thread. :nod:
Uleru
Laviku's most faithful Otani

Words: 236852
Joined roleplay: March 7th, 2013, 5:54 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 2
Artist (1) Donor (1)

The Ink Under My Skin

Postby Razkar on May 14th, 2013, 4:50 am

As the coins slipped from palm to palm, Pingere's face tightened and then slightly paled as he saw the Myrian react to the Otani's words. The first sentence just angered him, annoyed him, that much was clear. But at here final words those black eyes just went... dead. Not furious or raging as he would expect a savage to become, just... cold.

Then he blinked and there was a blur, a flash of metal in the sun, and suddenly the Myrian was standing there with a gladius leveled at the utterly-unimpressed Otani, blade not wavering an inch as the words came out in a guttural, vicious snarl.

"War is murder, stupid sea witch. Not tell me what I am! You, who live from Myri's light! You, who taunt and mock and hide under your god!"

He spat on the deck and there was a gasp of shock from Edreina at his sudden venom. More frightening was the fact that despite his anger, his blade was still. In control. That despite everything, he was still thinking. Working out how best to cut down the object of his anger.

"I should not have given answer. Not so petching witch can taunt and insult Goddess-Queen through her son. I should..."

Goddess, it would be so satisfying to slash her apart. Hamstring her first, or take her legs out from under her. Smash her own to the deck, keep her there, keep hacking and slashing and hammering until there would be... be nothing... but...

Inch by inch, the blade lowered. He inhaled, and was aware of Pingere shifting uncomfortably next to him. Edri's quiet terror. The former he was conscious of, and did not want to offend the man who had aided in his canvas. The latter... he did not want to frighten her.

But that's what you always do, a vindictive and knowing voice said inside him, to these barbarians. You frighten them, because they know not your world, or your way, or, let's be honest, your inclinations. Why even bother trying to dispel that opinion?

"I am sorry to make offense on your ship." Razkar said as formally as he could, though he did not meet Pingere's eyes as he sheathed his blade. He turned to Edri and snapped off his words quickly, anger still pulsing in him, aware of the offer the Otani just made. "I am going back to Cuttlefish. You should go with your friend. I will be bad company."

The Myrian did not wait for a response. He started walking. He walked away from the Otani and her cutting, ignorant, challenging words. He walked away from the artist who had marked him and the woman he had grown fond of, because they would never understand.

Which was no bad thing, he silently and sadly supposed. He was a killer. He was good at it. And... he realized with a tiny shudder and heavy gulp as he walked away... he enjoyed it.

It was what he was best at.

RecieptTattoos: 5gm
Razkar has been cursed by Yahal, and as such finds little acceptance from others; they will instinctively view him as being deceptive and traitorous. However, when close to one blessed by Yahal, the effect is negated. The curse is etched onto his left pectoral, and viewing the mark causes others to feel dirty and unclean.
Razkar
War Is The Answer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

The Ink Under My Skin

Postby Edreina on May 14th, 2013, 9:42 pm

"War is murder, stupid sea witch. Not tell me what I am! You, who live from Myri's light! You, who taunt and mock and hide under your god!"

Edreina gasped and nearly stumbled despite the fact that she was standing still. The moment Uleru had made the joke, Edreina had worried that it would affect Razkar negatively. But, the intensity of his reaction shocked her. She was afraid. Not of the Myrian... But for him. Razkar was a strong fighter, there was no doubt about that. But, could he take on an entire Flotilla? Hell. Could he take on the entire Sea? If Razkar offended Uleru, if he attacked her, he would be marked an enemy of Laviku himself. The gravity of such an action was terrifying.

"I should not have given answer. Not so petching witch can taunt and insult Goddess-Queen through her son. I should..."

Edreina shuddered at the implications, taking a step back, eyes darting fearfully to Pingere. The two Svefra shared a look, a thought, a hesitant nod. Neither of them wanted to be the one to take Razkar down. It was doubtful that either of them would even be able to. Sure, Uleru could defend herself. But, it was their duty to uphold the honor of the Sea Father. Pingere was closer, it would be his job to distract Razkar or immobilize him while Edreina raised a call and helped to restrain the blood-thirsty Myrian.

Slowly, the flashing metal began to descend. Blood was pulsing in Edreina's ears, masking the gentle hiss of metal returning into its home. When he turned to her, it shocked Edreina, causing her to take an involuntary step back. There was something terrifyingly familiar about the look in his eyes.

"I am going back to Cuttlefish. You should go with your friend. I will be bad company."

As he began to stalk off, Edreina felt a darkness following him. It was as if he had some anger building up within him. She could not let him walk away feeling this way.

"Pingere, I will pay you tomorrow. Uleru," her eyes narrowed in a chastisement that was likely lost upon the ever-effervescent Otani, "I have to go cool him off. If you want, we can meet up at my ship. You remember what it looks like, yes?" Upon the answer, Edreina nodded and took off at a trot to make up for lost time. Razkar was already ships away but, despite the fact that his balance was better every day, Edreina moved more efficiently upon the ships.

She hated the possibility that because of this moment, Razkar may curse the Suvan, the Svefra, even Laviku himself. Just because he does not understand... does not know. Their ways of life are so different, bound to clash in many ways. But why should that be a cause for hate? Differences are made to be learned from, improved upon. There is still so much that they can learn from one another.

After catching up to him, Edreina had a quandary: should she touch his shoulder? step in front of him? call out his name? Which one would set him off? Which one would make him all the more determined to keep walking? Surely he had heard her by now... "I'm sorry," two words that she hoped would open him up, just enough for her to worm her way in. She was usually pretty good at that, but she had never dealt with a Myrian in this mindset.

When he kept walking, Edreina sighed to herself and began to match his pace, walking just a short distance behind him. "I know this is not my place but I must apologize for Uleru. The Otani... they do not think as we do. We learn boundaries between people, they learn how to sing with a dolphin. They are ignorant of the surface world, like children..." She sighed and attempted to make it relatable for him, something that would put it into persepective. "If you were to bring a child to this Anchorage, it would likely mock us and our ways because it knew no better. Uleru is the same. Her entire life revolves around the sea and what lies within. If it is not part of the Suvan, I doubt she truly thinks about it for more than an instant. I'm sorry. I know that she offended you with her blindness. But can you also perhaps consider that she is not the only blind one?" It was a risky step, but one that she hoped would invoke a reaction from her friend, drag him into the conversation. Perhaps, once he was involved, Edreina would find a way to distract and settle him.
Last edited by Edreina on May 14th, 2013, 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Edreina
Unbound

Words: 1079180
Joined roleplay: March 18th, 2013, 1:40 am
Race: Human, Svefra
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Lore Author (1) Artist (1)
Overlored (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

The Ink Under My Skin

Postby Uleru on May 14th, 2013, 10:56 pm

The taunting spark of mirth fizzles and dies behind the Otani's eyes in a sudden and shocking change of tone. Her body becomes ridged as a sculpture as she stares down the Myrian. True, she regards swords at the same level as cocktail sticks for inflicting bodily harm, but to hold one against a child of Laviku as he scolds her for not worshipping another god is toeing the line towards a declaration of war.

There is a moment where she can almost see his brain working out how to quarter her into digestible chunks. The shock of the Sevfra are lost on her, and all she can see are Razkar's two cold black eyes hovering inches from her face. Her mouth splits into a boiling hiss, pitch dangerously low so he knows exactly what he will be stepping into should he finish that thought.

The born killer is running across her fathers back, with her fathers people. Does nobody else see that? He has a body count to rival a natural disaster and nobody will put up their hands and say 'you do not belong here'. He doesn't need a babysitter, he needs to be ostracized and fed back to his blood soaked god. And if these people wont defend themselves, she will.

But the chance slips away when the Myrian grudgingly sheaths his sword, turns, and leaves with a few tense words. Leaving a liquid statue where the Otani was, and a few confused and scared Sevfra.

And with the impenetrable situation dissolving through her fingers, Uleru can again focus on Edreina. She's known the woman for almost half a decade, but she has never seen a look as withering as this. She explains that she is going after the Myrian, and the moulding narrows her eyes in bafflement. She is running towards him? Who they have now openly established as not just a savage killer, but a blasphemer as well?

Uleru gives a rather dazed nod to her question, and the woman scampers off across the decks of the waking ships. Only then does the Otani give another vehement hiss as she dives off the side of the ship. Edreina can console the savage, and she can do it on her own. The sea will not rise to help her when the Myrian decides he will not listen.
Uleru
Laviku's most faithful Otani

Words: 236852
Joined roleplay: March 7th, 2013, 5:54 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 2
Artist (1) Donor (1)

The Ink Under My Skin

Postby Razkar on May 15th, 2013, 2:36 am

Razkar stalked. It was the only word for it. Not the stiff, swift but curiously neutral stride of one marching, nor the simple, single-minded urgency of a fast walk. The Myrian's path now crackled with anger, with indignant rage. Svefra muttered and nodded his way as he swept past, some of them knowing his face from the storyteller nights, and some part of Razkar's brain that was still thinking bemoaned how he was incinerating the goodwill his actions and oratory had bought him.

Because now all they would see with was a pissed-off-looking savage with his hands gripping weapons. Goddess... he didn't even realize that.

You are the barbarian to them, and you always will be. Why kid yourself you're something else? Why try to change their minds, make them think? No matter what, they will always fall back into their old, hateful ways. They're all savages, uncouth louts who know nothing about you, your people or Myri. They all deserve to-

"I'm sorry."

His head snapped around so sharply he heard it crack, and thought he saw her, his defender and his friend, his rage abated only slightly. Razkar faced the front again and the venom in his words stunned even him.

"'I'm sorry'. You say that all time, it is so stupid. You not need to apologize, so why you say it?"

What in the petch did she ever do to you, male?

"I know this is not my place but I must apologize for Uleru."

Razkar stopped, teeth gritted, Edri succeeding by luck where she was failing with rationality. Halfway between Pingere's boat and the Cuttlefish, he whirled on her again, hands off his weapons but one finger jutted at her angrily.

"Then if you know it is not place, do not say sorry! Let petching witch say it!"

"The Otani... they do not think as we do. We learn boundaries between people, they learn how to sing with a dolphin. They are ignorant of the surface world, like children. If you were to bring a child to this Anchorage, it would likely mock us and our ways because it knew no better. Uleru is the same. Her entire life revolves around the sea and what lies within. If it is not part of the Suvan, I doubt she truly thinks about it for more than an instant. I'm sorry. I know that she offended you with her blindness. But can you also perhaps consider that she is not the only blind one?"

Razkar listened as his rage hissed and boiled and his anger churned inside his guts like disturbed snakes. But her sheer... stubbornness was almost mesmerizing. He'd been rude, fierce and borderline-threatening, but she did not walk away, or scurry off like a scared rabbit. She faced him and she spoke and she met his eyes.

Remind you of someone else?

"I... I am not blind!" Razkar said finally, eyes widening as she made her final play, capping her explanation with something close to a challenge. "I do not... know all about barbarian lands, but I show respect! I know other gods in other lands and I do not curse them!" He paused, realized that not once did Ulru ever insult Myri. All her scorn was directed at him. His mouth worked uncertainly and then he shook his head. "I am not blind and you... you should..."

Leave me alone. Walk away. Forget and be with your own. He could have said all those, and if he was thinking beyond his own desires, perhaps Razkar would have. But when he looked into those steady and guileless blue eyes, he saw a girl who would never forgive him if he did. Who would forever hold a resentment in her and a scar from when she trusted and was betrayed by it.

Instead Razkar sighed and his shoulders sagged. Pushing her away was not an option. But...

"Edri... I want to have you as friend. But not tonight. I am... tired. I am in bad mood. But I... I know your words. Words are true."

He frowned, thinking once again on the scorn the Otani had heaped on him, the grains of truth flecked in the excrement of her little speech. That vicious hiss that had traveled from his ears straight to his heart and then, perversely, his balls, sparking off that confrontational fury that so often bordered on the sexual with him. But he had walked away.

Razkar sighed and leaned forward gently, face... clearer. Like a darkened sky wit the clouds shooed away by the wind, relieved and breathing easier. He kissed her softly on the cheek, whispered close to her ear.

"You are a brave girl, Edri. Thank you, and I am sorry if I make insult to Laviku. See you tomorrow."

With that, the Myrian walked back to the Cuttlefish and it was indeed a walk, not a stalk. He nodded at those he passed, not scowled. Still some small, vindictive but vocal part of his mind was hoping that Uleru was watching that kiss...
Razkar
War Is The Answer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

The Ink Under My Skin

Postby Edreina on May 15th, 2013, 3:01 am

"Edri... I want to have you as friend. But not tonight. I am... tired. I am in bad mood. But I... I know your words. Words are true."

"I understand." Edreina mentally breathed a sigh of relief, not wanting to show how worried she had been. She wanted peace, understanding. Not hatred. Even if he had not directly cursed Laviku, he had cursed one of Laviku's most treasured servants, an insult to the god himself. But, Uleru had brought it upon herself with the mocking. True enough it was all in jest on the Otani's part but in the short time that she had known Razkar, she knew that he was very passionate about his way of life.

"When you are ready to speak again, I will be on my ship... I won't bother you." She tucked her arms behind her back, the only signal of her inner distress. She really did not want to lose Razkar as a friend, but she was not used to sitting back and letting things work themselves out. If there was a problem, she wanted to step forward and take care of it. But she understood his need to be alone. She just hoped that he would come to her if he had any questions or angers to vent. If he felt anger towards her people, she would do her best to dissuade such feelings. Despite their prejudices, despite their wariness of most outsiders when on land, the Svefra she knew tended to be rather welcoming of those who came onto the Anchorage, into their element. He may be so used to seeing looks of contempt and even hate in the eyes of land-dwellers, but among the blue eyes of Svefra, he is likely only to see curiosity and caution.

"You are a brave girl, Edri. Thank you, and I am sorry if I make insult to Laviku. See you tomorrow."

When he kissed her on the cheek, Edreina felt the fine hairs on her arms and the back of her neck stand at attention as the shock of such an unexpected action sent a tremble down into her core. Her long, pale fingers twitched slightly, curiously anxious for more after so much suppression. The blushing red-head simply hoped that Razkar did not notice how a gentle gesture of friendship resounded within the long-restrained, hormone filled young woman. Gods. It was like he was teasing her.

"You're the king of mixed signals, Raz," she mumbled under her breath after he had left earshot. He had said that he would see her tomorrow, and that was comforting. Shaking her head, Edreina began to lope to her own ship where, hopefully, Uleru would be waiting. It was nearly midday now, so the walk took a bit longer than it would have had the ships been empty. All the while, Edreina silently hoped that her Otani friend was not too upset with her.
OOCSo I think this may be a good point to close this thread? Uleru you can post again in here if you want, if not we can continue our part of this in another thread, if you would like. :) If you post here, I will start. If not, would you care to start the next thread? Raz, good show there. ^_^ Would you like to start another thread taking place the next day? If so, would you like to start it or should I?
Both of you feel free to PM me the details :) As always, it has been a pleasure threading with the both of you.
Edreina
Unbound

Words: 1079180
Joined roleplay: March 18th, 2013, 1:40 am
Race: Human, Svefra
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Lore Author (1) Artist (1)
Overlored (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

The Ink Under My Skin

Postby Emblem on June 4th, 2013, 5:34 am

Congratulations!
You Get Glorious Experience!

Razkar

SkillPoints Earned
Philosophy 3 XP
Intimidation 2 XP
Storytelling 2 XP

Lore Earned
Stories Etched on Flesh
Being an Outsider
Uleru, Sea Witch
Tattoo: Skulls for the Dead

Other Shenanigans: -5 GM for tattoo

Uleru

SkillPoints Earned
Rhetoric 3 XP
Philosophy 2 XP

Negotiation| 1 XP
Lore Earned
Angering a Myrian
Stories Etched on Flesh

Other Shenanigans:

Edreina

SkillPoints Earned
Philosophy 3 XP
Rhetoric 1 XP

Lore Earned
Facing Fears
Stories Etched on Flesh
Tattoo: We Will Always Be Family
Uleru, the Joyful

Other Shenanigans:

Comments :
Sorry for the wait guys. Anyway, solid social thread guys, plus you got some sweet ink. Nice. Hopefully lores and skills suit you, and if not, shoot me a PM!
Currently working at new job so I am still trying to balance it out with Miza. I apologize for any delays.
Emblem
Retired Staff

Words: 50846
Joined roleplay: January 24th, 2012, 5:56 am
Race: Staff account
Office

Previous