[Jabari's Scrapbook] a Compendium for Chasing Dreams

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The player scrapbooks forum is literally a place for writers to warm-up, brainstorm, keep little scraps of notes, or just post things to encourage themselves and each other. Each player can feel free to create their own thread - one per account - and use them accordingly.

Postby Jabari Dreamchaser on May 12th, 2013, 5:52 am

I'm taking a break from character creation to start this...

I see the scrapbooks of all these awesome writers and it has me wanting to start one of my own (not that I count myself among the aforementioned mind you) There is a long road ahead for both Jabari as a character and myself as a writer, and I like the idea of chronicling the journey outside of threads. Hopefully seasons (dare I say years!) from now, I can look back on some of my first thoughts with a smile and enjoy some nostalgia. Here's to hope.

Table of Contents:
Character Creation Musings: I, II, III, IV
To Know Without Knowing
A Note to the Storytellers
Last edited by Jabari Dreamchaser on July 5th, 2013, 11:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jabari Dreamchaser
to know without knowing

Words: 46515
Joined roleplay: April 25th, 2013, 3:10 am
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Jabari Dreamchaser on May 12th, 2013, 6:39 am

As I sit at my computer looking over a couple dozen text documents of various titles (prologue, ethics, the dream you chase, farewell, Avalis, etc...) I find myself a bit overwhelmed. I have considered who Jabari is as a character from quite a few angles and feel like I know him. I could easily sit across from someone and answer any questions they might have about the Chaser of Dreams.

But the problem is that Mizahar isn't taking place during a Friday night gaming session. I can't look folks in the eyes and explain to them all the wonderful things that make Jabari special to me: his flaws, his strengths, his hopes, his fears.

I used to write short stories when I was young, like middle school young. People said I was pretty good at it. My mom even sent me to a creative writing camp with money she didn't have to spend. But somewhere along the way, high-shcool I think, I stopped writing. Maybe I was too busy trying to fit in, I don't know.

The imagination hasn't gone anywhere though.

I really want to articulate who Jabari is with this Character Sheet (and afterwards within threads) I wouldn't call my current state a stressful one. I know better. Mizahar is about the enjoyment of collaborative storytelling, not feeling as if you've taken on another job. And so, I'll try not to let it get to me. I made the decision to wait until the Summer season for this very reason, to give myself time to flesh out Jabari and piece together the story so far in a way that I'm happy with.

It has taken me days of review and revision to get just a couple mediocre portions of history put together. But you know what? I love those mediocre portions! They feel perfect to me, like I've been able to say exactly what I want to about Jabari. So if it takes similar amounts of time to get a Character Sheet that I adore, then so be it.

I think I'll end on that optimistic note. *nod*
Jabari Dreamchaser
to know without knowing

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Paragon on May 12th, 2013, 8:37 am

I'd like to share some advice which might help along the road :)

At the start your Character Sheet feels like the most important thing. Of course, you must following the Starting Guide, make sure all the mandatory stuff is in there, but then you come to history and little sections of flavour that pepper your character.

But guess what? You will NEVER form your character fully here. My experience on Mizahar has been that I came out of developing my first character, disappointed at their character sheet. I felt like I'd make their history a little bit of a mess. But in the end, your character is formed by the roleplay you do. The threads and stories you tell later down the line will define your PC, not the history in your character sheet.

So basically, don't sweat it out too much, write what you want to write, but remember your real development will come in the roleplay in the months to come. Good luck!
Paragon
The Gordian Knot

Words: 448583
Joined roleplay: December 1st, 2011, 8:55 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 4
Featured Contributor (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Ricky Maze on May 13th, 2013, 3:00 am

Paragon is definitely correct! You're character's actions are what make that character who he is, so take as much time as you need and don't stress yourself to find an impressive history. I remember when I made my characters history it came to be a simple backstory to help him get started, now that I've delved into his history a bit through flashbacks I've come to find his history isn't as simple as I made it to be.

My important advice to add with Paragon's is that characters can not only seem alive, but feel alive as well when they're challenged. This can be from a simple trial that tests their flaws to a strong issue that really tries their strengths and weakness, and at the end seeing them overcome whatever is in their path makes them stronger in some aspect. I definitely learned this after my return to Mizahar due to the fact I really gave Ricky some hard things to overcome. He's still pretty much struggling, just as every other character in Mizahar does. Yet every thing he goes through and overcomes helps him grow a little bit more.

My suggestion is during the process of discovery think of the things that would challenge your character, and not just think but write them down in notes to use. :)
Journal - Plotnotes - Announcement!
Scrapbook - Shop (Closed)- Vlogs
Credit goes to Fallon for allowing me to temper with her codings! :)
Ricky Maze
"Bottom's up!"

Words: 2035002
Joined roleplay: March 30th, 2011, 9:02 pm
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 7
Trailblazer (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) 2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)
2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Jabari Dreamchaser on May 21st, 2013, 6:59 am

One plagiarism to rule them all.

So while in chat recently, I lamented on my inability to write a description for Jabari's personality that I was happy with. At one point, I considered tossing the handful of rough drafts and filling in that portion of his character sheet with "a nice guy." But inspiration struck! And I decided, what better way to form a rich personality for the Chaser of Dreams, than by taking the first sentence of all the personality descriptions of everyone in chat at the time's character sheets! And so I give you:

The most epic personality in the world wrote:Jabari is a very emotional person. He speaks with high pitch and a Syliran accent in Common, Fratava and speaks poorly in Pavi. Well well, what do we have here? Jabari is a character who has little regard for power, and even less care for authority, those in power believe that power is everything, but power is an illusion. A devoted Acolyte of the Shinya, He was taken as a Viraya at the age of nine.

Calm, studious and composed are all things that might describe Jabari, though perhaps detached would be a more apt word. He wanted to read all the books in the world. A personality? A new body marks the beginning of a new age for the Alchemist.

Two souls intertwine into one proud body, forged through steel and blood. He wouldn’t tell for all the mizas in the world, but Jabari is insecure. With a mixed demeanor, Jabari is a enigma engulfed in a shroud of self hatred and anger issues, his anger is unpredictable and unhinged any action he cannot succumb to contain he lets his unbridled rage do what he could not in his usually calm state.

He is a talented, if slightly impulsive, warrior. Jabari hatched at the shores of the Suvan Sea, where his parents had gone on a break to, from the busy lands of Charbosi.

How many characters can YOU name? Oh and please note that this was done all in good fun. If I've offended anyone at all, please let me know and I'll be happy to remove the post.
Last edited by Jabari Dreamchaser on May 21st, 2013, 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabari Dreamchaser
to know without knowing

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Jh'eon on May 21st, 2013, 7:04 am

Jabari hatched at the shores of the Suvan Sea, where his parents had gone on a break to, from the busy lands of Charbosi.

Mine with a Jabari instead of Jh'eon XD

Nah, if it is a joke I am fine...but if you are being realistic and THAT is your char history... >:(
Jh'eon
Player

Words: 32412
Joined roleplay: May 16th, 2013, 8:47 pm
Race: Charoda
Character sheet

Postby Ricky Maze on May 21st, 2013, 7:21 am

Haha, hey now plagiarism is no joke. Plenty of people cause trouble because they plagiarize others hard work. Not pointing you out to be in trouble as I know this came as a joke, ;) but something everyone needs to keep in mind every once in a while.

I remember I had a bit of a difficult time rewriting Ricky's personality when I came back. I even need to rewrite it now because of the little extra I need to add, but when I need a bit of a direction where to begin I use the Traits Chart from The Sims series to get started.

Basic principle to follow is read the description of each trait and consider if it falls into the personality of your character, for instance Ricky is a brave character not because he fights evil doers or criminals, but because he's set to protect what matterd to him most. Things like that are generally what will help you lay the foundation of a personality, and what I suggest is (like the challenges) note every trait that makes Jabari who he is down. Then from there piece the traits together to start the formation of his personality, and along the way you'll pick up other things about him that will be involved with his personality. ;)

Just a friendly tip from me, as this process helped me develope my characters much better than when I first started. :)
Ricky Maze
"Bottom's up!"

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Ricky Maze on May 22nd, 2013, 7:17 am

Jabari Dreamchaser wrote:I love the trait chart for the sims, Ricky. Thank you! It should come in quite handy.

Overall, I've found a really nice stride with the creation process, so things are looking good for Jabari being in character come Summer. I'll keep you posted!

Definitely a pleasure in giving a bit of help for your developement. :) I look forward to see what kind of person Jabari will become when you write with him.
Ricky Maze
"Bottom's up!"

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Stardust on May 30th, 2013, 6:20 am

Two days.

I am waiting.

Waiting Eagerly.
Stardust
A Loophole in Limbo

Words: 89537
Joined roleplay: April 17th, 2013, 3:49 am
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 1
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Jupiter on May 30th, 2013, 6:26 am

You shouldn't make her wait too long. She plots.
Jupiter
Let me help you

Words: 44855
Joined roleplay: May 17th, 2013, 8:14 pm
Scrapbook
Medals: 1
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Next