Improve Mizahar's Lore - Can You Do It Better? Prove It.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Feel free to post all your Mizahar related discussions here.

Postby Gossamer on May 28th, 2013, 5:26 pm

Greetings Mizaharians!

I'll be honest. I have heard nothing lately but complaints, especially by brand new players, about how pathetic and inadequate our lore is. They can't find things. There are incomplete, missing, or broken links. Huge gaps exist in simple explanations. I've heard so much about this that I'm sick to death of it. Now, in most of these cases, people haven't bothered to check their messages (Oh no! You didn't notice you got a notification of a Welcoming PM? Trust me - it's there!). But I suspect there's a little bit of truth that some of our lore needs elaborating.

Now, on top of this I keep getting comments like 'I would do this....' or 'You should do that...' etc. Fine. I get it that people aren't happy with the way some things are written up or they feel some of the lore entries are incomplete or poorly written. Maybe they are even right in some cases. Mizahar is constantly evolving. No one is perfect and no one has a ton of time to run around and answer all these complaints either by pointing people to the right section of the lore that is already completely and thoroughly written up.

But enough of the chat complaints. I'm really stupidly sick and tired of newbies logging on, jumping into chat, and then promptly telling us how to run our game.... how to write our lore... or how to explain our systems. This is especially true when they don't even UNDERSTAND our system or lore yet. All this complaining happens without an ounce of effort on their part. It's the whole 'armchair warrior' scenario over and over again.

So I'm challenging you people. I'm saying put up or shut up. No more endless hours of bitching in chat. Seriously. If you want something done, do it yourself and prove that it can be done better by none other than YOURSELF.

If you have a gripe about your lore, post it here, and then .... POST A SUGGESTED REVISION the way you'd like to see it written so it can sooth whatever is bothering you about the currently existing lore. Eliminate the confusion. Show us how you'd do it. Prove that we suck by being better.

But you'd darn well better have an awesome rewrite to back up all the arrogance and snootiness I've seen in chat lately. No more complaints in chat. Complainers need to be sent DIRECTLY to this thread by the chatters and chat mods themselves, and told to PUT UP OR SHUT UP because we are thoroughly tired of hearing about it.

That way, if you're right, the whole game can see that you are right. If you are wrong, the whole game can see it as well and let you know why you are wrong. And if you are just complaining to complain, then you have ZERO reason for doing so in chat and will be asked to leave immediately.

Got it?

Let the revisions be forthcoming.

- Gossamer

BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6357243
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Liyana Winterflame on May 28th, 2013, 10:12 pm

Wonderful idea. I have a few suggested revisions that I'll hopefully finish soon.
Lore: Drunkenness Is Not a State for Acrobatics

~ Don't be shy! ~
If you want to thread with me, PM me!
Liyana Winterflame
Life sucks? Philter that right out of it.

Words: 31532
Joined roleplay: May 10th, 2013, 8:37 am
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Alona Halloran on May 29th, 2013, 1:36 am

I'm still learning the lore (especially on this topic) but, I'd be more than willing to work on the lore about some of the in-development Gnosises (Gnosi?) like Audius and Mele, if I could get some help from others that wanted to assist me. I've noticed many of them don't even have pages, and it's a shame because all of them sound very interesting.
Alona Halloran
Player

Words: 29090
Joined roleplay: May 12th, 2013, 4:49 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Ball on May 29th, 2013, 3:23 am

I love this idea! Honestly, I do see a few things missing, not neccesarily bad things, but things that as a player of certain races would like to see some things elaborated or lores added...

So, I will be posting a few lore suggestions to come. ;)
Avatar CreditsMy lovely Avatar was drawn and created by the most awesome Nivel

Graders Please Note :
As Ball is getting closer and closer to maxing out Pyken as a skill, I would like to request that in places where Ball is not doing enough to constitute Pyken XP if Pyken technique lores could be issued instead.

Examples of proper XP level for Pyken would be: Ball developing or refining his technique by adding new thing against an actual moving target, not a dummy.

The use of basic skills alone are not enough to accomplish XP at Ball's current level of Pyken.

Thank you.

I will be handling all Ball related posts on Mondays @ 1800 my time *
Ball
Ser Ball -- Pycon Knight of Syliras

Words: 460478
Joined roleplay: January 31st, 2012, 4:52 pm
Race: Pycon
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Contributor (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Jh'eon on May 29th, 2013, 5:51 am

Indeed, this is a great idea. And maybe some of the bitching can join us in revising some of the lore. After all, this is what they wanted.
Jh'eon
Player

Words: 32412
Joined roleplay: May 16th, 2013, 8:47 pm
Race: Charoda
Character sheet

Postby Rayage on May 29th, 2013, 2:49 pm

Already I think people are getting the wrong idea about how to use this thread. This thread is NOT for wishing or asking for articles to be done. That is already covered in two different threads:

I Wish... The Mizahar Wish List for Players

The Stub Development Request

If you want to whine about things not being done, do so in those threads. This thread is for people who actually have suggestions and ideas on how to improve the lore, and who will actively seek out to do it themselves instead of sniping at the writers of the articles. Not development, but rather a revision of the lore in general.

Development is done in a whole other forum and with HD permission of the concept.
“Method is more important than strength, when you wish to control your enemies. By dropping golden beads near a snake, a crow once managed to have a passer-by kill the snake for the beads.” ~ Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Image Image Image
Rayage
Sahova All-Star

Words: 980399
Joined roleplay: February 5th, 2011, 9:40 pm
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Featured Thread (1) Lore Author (1)
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Gossamer on May 29th, 2013, 3:30 pm

Rayage is right. I simply shook my head, screamed into a pillow when I saw a few of the posts here, and then threw the pillow violently. The title of the thread - on the main header image - is:

"Suggestions For Additions or Alterations On The EXISTING LORE."

That means, if say the Calendar page isn't clear enough for you, suggest a re-write so new people can better understand it. You don't like the existing list of 'suggested reading' on the main lore page? Rewrite it so it makes more sense to you and post it here. That does not mean you volunteer to write an entire gnosis or skill that's completely blank in the wiki. There are ways to do that, via the help desk and world development forum, which have nothing to do with this thread.

Is the section on Symenestra dining too unclear? FIX IT and post your suggested fix here. The list goes on and on and on. I've heard complaint after complaint after complaint about the bad wording in the lore. Well, shut up or put up. And yet, I've seen no 'put up' as of yet. I have seen a general 'shut up' though, which is 50% of what I meant to accomplish by this thread. Halfway there isn't half bad, not in my book.

I swear, people, you guys that just label me MEAN and have no clue... zero clue... why I'm always 100% frustrated and about to bite someone's head off verbally. The rest of you, who really do know me, are amused and impressed at the self restraint I show daily. This thread is a perfect example.

Thanks Rayage, for pointing out what should have been obvious.

BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6357243
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Ball on May 30th, 2013, 6:54 pm

oops i read it wrong but i still like the idea... my comment about making suggestions still stands even in this context
Avatar CreditsMy lovely Avatar was drawn and created by the most awesome Nivel

Graders Please Note :
As Ball is getting closer and closer to maxing out Pyken as a skill, I would like to request that in places where Ball is not doing enough to constitute Pyken XP if Pyken technique lores could be issued instead.

Examples of proper XP level for Pyken would be: Ball developing or refining his technique by adding new thing against an actual moving target, not a dummy.

The use of basic skills alone are not enough to accomplish XP at Ball's current level of Pyken.

Thank you.

I will be handling all Ball related posts on Mondays @ 1800 my time *
Ball
Ser Ball -- Pycon Knight of Syliras

Words: 460478
Joined roleplay: January 31st, 2012, 4:52 pm
Race: Pycon
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Contributor (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Ohirin on May 31st, 2013, 3:15 am

I have only seen one thing in the entirety of the Lore, more specifically the price list, that I have disagreed with. It is that the Morningstar is in the small weapons category. I only have a problem with this because, historically, Morningstars were almost all long and very heavy weapons. I don't know if this is the proper place to post this or not, if it is not I deeply apologize, but that is the true only thing I have seen that I find possibly inaccurate. Thank you Gossamer et al. for taking the time to read this.
Speech
Common-Pavi
Ohirin
Player

Words: 16911
Joined roleplay: February 9th, 2013, 3:45 am
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet

Postby Xio Alcetar on June 11th, 2013, 11:25 pm

I would love for Mizahar to have a proper zodiac, because I'm creating some throwing stars that I want to have a zodiac theme. I was thinking that there could be 16 constellations, 4 a season. Each season will be linked to an element: Spring is Air, Summer is Fire, Autumn is Earth, Winter is Water. Each constellation would have two signs, a major sign for the season and a minor sign for the image in the constellation. The sign in the middle of the sky would center on Polaris, the North Star, and would symbolize Djed. The zodiac could be used to tell fortunes with the sun, moon and planets; it could affect the workings of some types of magic; different races could have signs corresponding to them, with holidays alongside; gods could each have a representative sign; etc. I haven't worked out the individual constellations yet, so if anyone has any ideas please post here!
~excuse me, I arted~
Xio's CS: http://www.mizahar.com/forums/topic34041.html
My characters: https://charahub.com/characters
My art: doodletigress.deviantart.com
Xio Alcetar
Player

Words: 6421
Joined roleplay: May 3rd, 2013, 6:59 pm
Race: Human, Benshira
Character sheet
Scrapbook
Journal