PM to join First Lessons [Leila, Castor and Tsaba]

Professor Marin's first class is in session.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

First Lessons [Leila, Castor and Tsaba]

Postby Annalisa Marin on June 10th, 2013, 1:50 pm

Summer, 22nd, 513 AV

Anna leaned against the small desk with a sigh, today was the day. The new season had started some time ago, which heralded the beginning of new classes. The young professor was actually rather excited by the whole affair, so much so that she had made certain that her small classroom was neat and tidy. From what she had heard, she would be teaching three students the art of glyphing this year. Her class was early in the morning, the halfway into the 8th of bell and the room itself look very much traditional as classrooms setting went.

The young wizard herself was content to simply wait and think over her lesson plan for today. She had no idea the experience her students had in regards to magic, obviously they were wizards of some kind otherwise they wouldn't be here. They could be consummate professionals or untrained novices for all she knew, knowing her students would better help her prepared a good curriculum for them. Anna was hoping with at least something to work with, hopefully one or both of them would be reimancers.

The young professor rounded her larger desk and seated herself with a sigh, noting the cluttering of blank scrolls and ink wells in front of her. The lesson for today would likely be an introduction to Glyphing with some magical theory involved. After all, to understand the affects of Glyphing, one had to possess a deeper knowledge of magic itself.

Anna looked at the doorway with a slightly impatient look, if her students were late she would need to think of a suitable punishment for them. They still have over fifteen chimes to make it, so they had plenty of time. Lateness was something Anna loathed however, woe be to the student that was late.

She steepled her hands out on the desk before her and stared at the door with watchful eyes, waiting for her students in silence.
Last edited by Annalisa Marin on June 12th, 2013, 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Annalisa Marin
Sorceress of Chaos

Words: 1635951
Joined roleplay: May 19th, 2013, 6:52 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Thread (1) Overlored (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Tsaba on June 10th, 2013, 4:04 pm

Tsaba had never had any formal schooling, so she wasn't entirely sure what to expect. In the end, she prepared the same way she would for one of Craun's impromptu classes; by stashing several more sheets of parchment than she could possibly need inside her scrollcase, grabbing a pot of ink and three quills (in case one or two of them broke) and hoping that she wasn't expected to bring something she didn't know about. After a moment's thought, she grabbed her woolen gloves too, in case they would be handling any books. By the time she actually got to the classroom, she was only five chimes early, instead of her planned fifteen chimes.

She hoped that was acceptable.

She didn't know what she expected a classroom to be like, but when she found it, she was hardly disappointed. It looked like a small room, and seemed to have a setup appropriate for teaching and conducting academic work in. Fair enough. Most of Tsaba's attention was on the woman waiting expectantly at the front of the room. Even if logic hadn't dictated it, everything about the woman's bearing made it clear that she was the Master.

Tsaba was a little bothered that the room seemed to be empty. Had she committed some kind of faux pas by arriving early? Possibly. She really should have studied local etiquette beforehand. Uncertain of how to react under the woman's gaze, she bowed her head politely. "Master Marin. I am here to learn Glyphing."
Thanks to Abstract for the lovely boxcode!
Tsaba
Player

Words: 200581
Joined roleplay: May 26th, 2013, 10:57 am
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 2

Postby Castor Riley on June 10th, 2013, 5:41 pm

Castor was wandering the halls of the East Wing for the first time since arriving in Zeltiva. The previous season, he had only taken West Wing subjects, and had never had much of a reason to roam into the area of the University he currently found himself in. He had begun to worry he had gotten himself utterly lost, when he finally found the correct classroom. He was carrying all his writing materials in his backpack, looking forward to learning about a new discipline. It would be nice if he could be guided for once in his research for Mr Sol, rather than do his usual solitary researching and writing. Secretly, he also hoped to see people actually using magic. Even though he was fascinated with it and loved to read and learn about it, he still didn't want to practice it, as he felt the risks were too great.

From within the classroom, he heard a familiar voice speak in its calm and serious tone. He walked into the room. Seeing Tsaba there, he felt he must have found the right place, for he remembered her mentioning she might take the class. The other person in the room, he did not immediately recognize, but he had a niggling sensation that he should. It didn't seem like class had started yet, which made him feel rather relieved. He hated to make a bad first impression. He waited to hear what the professor would reply to Tsaba's straightforward statement, before extending his hand for a shake and making his own introduction, saying "I'm Castor Riley and I'm also here for Glyphing," with a smile.
Always open for a thread! Feel free to PM me!
Mailbox
Castor Riley
Player

Words: 127927
Joined roleplay: April 23rd, 2013, 11:59 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Leila on June 10th, 2013, 7:34 pm

Leila woke up early, excited and nervous, for today was her first day of her Glyphing class. Leila only had a mild idea of what this actually was, since she'd only just met Professor Marin. But if it could help her understand what exactly she did that day at the beach, then it was worth doing. She didn't know exactly how to prepare for this, but she had bought a few things the day before. She'd bought an empty book, to use to keep notes and anything else she might need to know. She also bought herself some new charcoal sticks, preferring that to quill and ink. She put her art kit in the bottom of her backpack, then her empty book, and slipped the new charcoal in a side pocket. She got up and got dressed, choosing her working dress over her fancier clothes. She also tied her hair back in a light pony tail to keep it out of her eyes. She grabbed a small pouch, filled it with a handful of shelled walnuts and hazelnuts, and threw her backpack over her shoulders.

She locked up her shop as she left, reached over the fence, scratched Shaco on the head, then started making her way toward the University. It was still foggy out, a nice brisk cooling effect, Leila lightly taptapping along. Several chimes later, Leila found herself turned around in the University. She wasn't late but she definitely lost. She was rushing past door after door, about to pass another, when she saw the familiar face of Professor Marin. She stepped back, looked in the classroom, and saw a couple of other familiar faces and smiled. This must be the right place. She stepped inside, "Good morning Professor Marin, I hope I'm not late."

Leila then went and found a seat next Castor Riley, a girlish smile creeping onto her face. She set her backpack next to her, pulled out her book and charcoal, opened to the first page, and got ready for her first formal class ever. She pulled a single strand of hair that had bounced free, and tucked it behind her ear. She had always spurned University students, but she refused to be like them. And she already knew Castor wasn't like them. She recognized the sickly looking woman as well, having had stopped in at her shop several days earlier.

Grading ModeratorPurchases: Book, Blank = 3gm, Charcoal (10 Sticks) = 5cm
I'm accepting threads only for Summer 513 AV or Flashbacks with Leila. If you'd like to thread, PM me with a date and a basic idea of what you'd like to do! Thanks!
Leila
Player

Words: 173018
Joined roleplay: March 11th, 2013, 8:24 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Annalisa Marin on June 11th, 2013, 1:15 pm

The first of Anna's students to walk through the door was a rather alarming specimen, she looked fit to drop dead of illness in a moment. Still Anna offered the woman an uneasy smile and gestured to a nearby desk. In the classroom setting Anna was much more at ease around people, more willing to be polite and helpful. Unfortunately for her students this also translated into her placing the high expectations she held for herself, on to them.

"Its Professor or Dr. Marin, miss, remember that and you'll be fine here. Take your seat." Anna said.

Her attention shifted to her next student, a young man of shorter height than her who possessed a somewhat bookish quality about him. He definitely looked like he belonged at the University. Anna stood to her full height and grasped his hand as firmly as she was able and shook it with a quiet smile.

"Greetings, Castor, your in the right place. I am your professor, Annalisa Marin, feel free to sit anywhere." She said in response.

This whole thing was making her more like she had been before there had been Magic or Rhysol, before ambition and power became the focus of her life. It was... nice. Anna was not much one for nostalgia but this was definitely taking her back when she had been sitting where they were. How far she had come in so short a time.

The next student walk through the door needed no introductions, Leila, the owner of the new herbalism shop. It was good that she had decided to come, Anna could see potential in her that could very well be cultivated. The sickly looking woman and Castor she was not certain of, the young herbalist though could use some guidance. She nodded to Leila and gestured for her to sit down, which she did eagerly, next to Castor she noted. The time to begin was now, if anyone else was coming they would be late.

Anna waited for a moment before stepping in front of her desk, taking a deep breath to quell her own nerves.

Its alright, Anna, you can do this. You are strong and experienced. They will listen, you only have to speak.

"Greetings, students, allow me to formally welcome you to my Glyphing class. I look forward to introducing you to the deeper sides of the arcane and helping you reach the highest potential possible with your own magic." The young professor started.

"Now, I'm not one for fancy speech's, I'm sure you received enough of them at orientation. So I'll simply ask if anyone has any questions or concerns before we get started with some light magical theory." Anna said looking at all three of her students expectantly.
Annalisa Marin
Sorceress of Chaos

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Tsaba on June 12th, 2013, 5:43 am

Dr Marin. Tsaba took note of that. She definitely seemed to know what she was talking about, which Tsaba supposed could only be a good thing. But three students being taught at once? That was more than Tsaba had ever experienced. Dr Marin didn't seem concerned, though, so it was probably normal in Zeltiva. Or in formal education everywhere.

At least Tsaba knew both of her fellow students. Castor the study partner, Leila the herbalist. She knew that Castor had intended to study Glyphing, but Leila was a surprise. What did a herbalist need Glyphing for? (But then again, what did Tsaba need Glyphing for? Maybe Leila was just there to broaden her horizons as well.)

Dr Marin, at least, seemed as eager to get down to actual teaching as Tsaba was to learn. When she asked for questions, Tsaba spoke up. "My only experience with magic has been with personal magic," she said. "Is that likely to hinder learning Glyphing?"
Tsaba
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Castor Riley on June 12th, 2013, 11:18 am

Professor Marin stood a few inches taller than Castor and looked down on him as she gave him a firm handshake. He saw that her eyes were an interesting grey colour and got the feeling he'd seen her somewhere before. Still, he couldn't place where. It had probably been a passing acquaintance in any case. He took a seat next to Tsaba, smiling at her.

Castor was pleasantly surprised to see Leila walk through the door, joining the Glyphing class. From their previous meetings together he had gotten the impression that she did not much care for the University. Still he was glad to see her there and glad to be in a class that already felt very familiar. He couldn't help but smile a bit wider as Leila chose the seat next to him. "Miss Hughes, lovely to see you," he whispered softly in her direction.

Professor Marin's introduction caused a bit of concern for Castor, as it implied they would know other magical disciplines. Tsaba asked a question that he found might be of particular interest to himself as well, albeit his precise one would have stated his complete inexperience with the practicalities of magic. He waited to hear the Professor's response, and if it did not cover his own question as well, would ask "What about if you have no experience with magic? Is Glyphing still possible?". He looked forward to the magical theory, but he wondered if he might not be in the wrong class if magical ability was proven to be a requirement.
Always open for a thread! Feel free to PM me!
Mailbox
Castor Riley
Player

Words: 127927
Joined roleplay: April 23rd, 2013, 11:59 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Leila on June 12th, 2013, 2:22 pm

Leila wasn't totally sure what to take notes on, so she just did anything that seemed important and relevant.

Questions on Magical Theory

Tsaba: Knows personal magic. What is personal magic? Should ask Tsaba later.

Castor: Knows no magic. Can one Glyph without magic?

Leila wondered if she had any real questions that didn't make her sound like an idiot. She really wanted to just ask, 'What is magic?' But she held her tongue, she'd learn as she went. Maybe Tsaba could help her with that later. She thought back just to the name 'personal magic.' Was that like what she did back on the beach? It felt personal, emotional, powerful. But she also had no idea what it actually did. She did have a question of her own, maybe two. So she wrote it down first, then asked it aloud, just beneath her note on Castor.

Me: Is Glyphing dangerous to myself, or others?

She felt a bit sheepish at asking that question, but she didn't want to do anything that would hurt others. She waited with charcoal at the ready, for her professor's response to all of their questions. Her strand of hair fell back into her face once more, and this time Leila absentmindedly started sucking on it as she concentrated.
Last edited by Leila on June 12th, 2013, 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm accepting threads only for Summer 513 AV or Flashbacks with Leila. If you'd like to thread, PM me with a date and a basic idea of what you'd like to do! Thanks!
Leila
Player

Words: 173018
Joined roleplay: March 11th, 2013, 8:24 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Annalisa Marin on June 12th, 2013, 4:13 pm

Anna heard Tsaba's question and it brought a grin to her face, it was a good excuse to bring up the nature of glyphing itself. She never caught the woman's name but she could get it later, right now she needed to focus on the purpose of glyphing. It was difficult to properly put into words but she would try to convey it in ways easily understood.

"Actually many personal magic practitioners, myself included, take glyphing because it not only furthers their understanding of magic but furthers their potential beyond the norm. So rather than hindering your abilities it will help you better understand it." Anna said, leaning back on her desk leisurely.

The next question caused a slight narrowing of her eyes and her mind to search more answers. She had never actually heard of a non wizard learning glyphing, in fact it seemed rather stupid to do so. Glyphing mostly dealt with manipulating existing magic or augmenting ones own. As such it was rather difficult and impractical for non wizards to properly understand its finer points.

She zeroed her gaze upon Castor, her eyes sharp upon him.

"Glyphing, by its nature, is designed to augment a wizards magic or to manipulate or contain hazardous magic. It is possible for one to learn Glyphing without magic, all you need to do is correctly draw the runes. However it is much more difficult to gain a competent grasp of the art." She said.

"If you don't possess access to magic, Castor, this class will be much more difficult for you. I will do my best to explain magical theory here but my focus is upon glyphing. If you feel that this class might be a bit too much for you, then I would suggest transferring out." Anna stated flatly.

She had patience when it came to teaching but she tended to be rather aggressive and rigorous in her teaching methods. A student that couldn't keep up might quickly find themselves falling behind. Castor looked bright but intelligence would only get one so far in regards to magic.

Her gaze lingered on Castor for a moment before shifting to Leila.

"Leila, ALL magic has the potential to cause harm to others and to yourself. A glyphed scroll, if not handled correctly, can potentially release the magic contained within. However, by itself, Glyphing is relatively safe if used correctly." Anna responded.

Anna already had a good idea of the path she needed to take with this class, the fundamentals. Explaining what Djed was and providing demonstrations as to how magic functions would be useful. Especially if there was someone who didn't possess magic in her class. From there she would build up on that understanding with showing how glyphing could be used to augment magic. It would be a simple class today, but necessary before going forward with more in-depth lessons.

"If you have no other questions, we can begin." She said, looking to each of her students.
Annalisa Marin
Sorceress of Chaos

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Tsaba on June 12th, 2013, 4:32 pm

Admittedly, Tsaba knew next to nothing about Glyphing. But the explanation sounded pretty straightforward. She waited until she was certain the teacher had finished speaking before speaking up again.

"Mas... Dr Marin? If Glyphing is a matter of drawing the runes, then could it be considered a language? Not a phonetic one, perhaps, but an ideographic script that's.. that's recognised by reality itself?"

Even to Tsaba, that sounded stupid. She really needed to write things out in advance. But she'd started, and so she plowed on. "People used to think that Auristics were a gift from Avalis," she added slowly. "That theory has of course fallen out of favour, I know, but... well, do we know when Glyphing was developed? Where it came from?" She looked down at her notes, then set her jaw and looked up again. Stupid-sounding or not, she was going to ask. "Qalaya gave us writing," she said. "Did Qalaya also give us Glyphing?"

There, it was out. She noted the question on her parchment, in case Dr Marin didn't know, and was careful not to look at Leila or Castor, in case they did and it was something she should know already.
Tsaba
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Next