Kenash's Comments Questions & Suggestions Thread

Please feel free to pop in and make suggestions or ask questions. Comments are always welcome.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This forum is Kenash's development forum. Please feel free to post your ideas and suggestions as well as join in any discussions that are currently ongoing.

Moderator: Gossamer

Postby Adrienna Lynint on May 26th, 2013, 11:22 pm

Built from the decree of the Magistrate of Spring 499 AV and using the designs of a Sitai artist, the Sunken Park is renowned for the tamed beauty that still manages to embody the perfection of the land it was built into as well as a haven for the Freeborn and Dynasty children alike to get together and actually enjoy themselves together for once, in the many ways that they can. A place where bloodshed is outlawed in order to preserve the natural beauty, it is still known that there are bloated corpses in the deep pools from people who forget that there are other ways to kill besides drawing blood.

While the water is undrinkable and the wildlife is elusive, there remains something that draws people to the park for whatever reason. Some say the designs etched into the silent waters of the deep lake it was constructed draw the inner artist out of the inhabitants of Kenash and offer them something to ponder on long days when the sun is hot and no wind cools their burnt faces. It is true, for certain, that the park is something of a marvel to look upon. The pathway is like a vine, green and grassy and winding, and branches spread out from it to spiral into small areas where plants were placed to grow in their rainbow of colours. In the center, the largest spiral is dedicated to holding several of the weeping trees found in the swamp that, although young still, dangle fingers of moss and ivy into the inky depths below them. The sitting areas, while embedded into the ground to make them below water level, offer the people a reprieve from their life and give them small havens to just simply enjoy what Kenash's most famous park has to offer them. Whether that is the slaves chained into these little areas, or the wildlife that flits out of the water, or even the greenery itself, there is no shortage of amusements for one to enjoy.
Adrienna Lynint
mother of the basilisk.

Words: 65714
Joined roleplay: May 22nd, 2013, 8:15 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Gossamer on May 30th, 2013, 12:20 am

Hey guys...

Try to post original locations! My projects are posted for me to work on later and to show the flavor of what we are looking for.

Thanks!

Goss

BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6357243
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Spirit Frostfawn on June 3rd, 2013, 10:19 pm

Hey, a question about the perk points! You mentioned somewhere that we can use them in the WR and RF treasure chest places. Is that still up, or are we going to make it Kenash-only now?

Just curious!!

Spirit Frostfawn
Whistle with the Birds

Words: 302388
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2013, 11:53 pm
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

Postby Tinnok on June 5th, 2013, 2:53 am

The Bloody Butcher

Within an immaculate porcelain tiled room on the water front of Kenash lies the Bloody Butcher, the shop that all who desire to quench those carnivorous cravings simply must get the finest cuts of meat. The shop also makes a fair miza making sandwiches and meaty treats for those in need of a quick fix. A small silver bell summons one's server, and there are finely polished benches in case of a line.

Despite what other Dynasties might tote, the healthy grassfed beef, pork, and free ranging chicken that is plucked off the Ackina ranches is undeniably of high quality, and this fact alone makes the Bloody Butcher the one stop shop in town when in need of cuts.

The shop is run by a gruff canine Kelvic by the name of Howl, who is quick to remind all who enter that the prices are final and non negotiable, despite what any others might say. While any members of a Dynasty would find it deplorable to enter the shop, a fair current of slaves and free peoples go in and out on a daily basis, whether for a lunchtime snack or some nicely parceled meats.

NPCs
Name: Howl
Race: Kelvic
DoB: 67th of Fall, 510 AV
PoB: Kenash
Title: Butcher
Skills: Weapon: Cleaver 50, Cooking 30, Management 26, Bartering, 26
Gnosis: 1 Sensitivity

Howl is a Falivan Elk Dog, and though her gruff and hardened appearance may suggest otherwise, is a female. After losing a leg in a hunting accident she went from being one of the most promising newly born Kelvics, to being the highest liability. Certainly set for a droll life after that the Ackina Dynasty made her play nursemaid, tending to the other young Kelvic that were often orphaned at a young age.

Through her care of the young ones Howl gained her Gnosis mark from Oriana, and her already keen sense of smelled was supremely honed. Afterwards the Ackinas found a new use for their lame hunting dog in their butcher shop. It is said Howl can smell a thief a mile off, and identify all cuts of meat blindfolded in the shop. Regardless she has a gruff sort of business sense to her when dealing with the slaves of other dynasties that happen into the shop, and unlike the last terrier Kelvic that wan the Bloody Butcher, she never samples the goods.

Products
Most meat prices are labelled and noted behind the table above Howl's head. Though she can't read she's memorized them all. Specialty cuts are available, though generally more expense, and bulk meat in high and low quality can be bought as well.

Chicken:

Whole 3 Sm/ LB.
Drumsticks (6) 2 Sm
Shredded 5 Cm/ per LB.
Shredded with marinade 8 Cm/ LB.

Beef:

Haunch 5 Sm/ LB.
Ground Beef 3 Sm/ LB.
Sirloin Steak 8 Sm/ LB.
T-bone Steak 7 Sm/ LB.
Sausage (5) 5 SM

Pork:

Slab of Bacon (12 Slices) 6 SM
Ribs 4 Sm/LB.
Pulled Pork 8 Cm/ LB.
Ham Wedge 2 SM/ LB.
Ham Sliced 3 SM/ LB.

Sandwiches:

Sandwiches 6 Cm
Turnovers 5 Cm
Pigs in a Blanket (3) 3 Cm

Image Image Image
Tinnok
A Witch of the Wilds

Words: 878542
Joined roleplay: February 3rd, 2013, 5:27 pm
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Medals: 2
Featured Thread (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Spirit Frostfawn on June 21st, 2013, 12:11 am

Kenash development has been pretty slow lately... at least from what I've seen, so I've come up with a bunch of questions we can discuss, or come up with answers to, to bulk up the codex...

1. What's the weather like?

2. What's the architecture like?

3.What's fashionable at the moment? Impressions are very important...

4. How does Kenash defend itself? Against Zith and the like. I'm thinking they hire guards and such?

5. Whats the family - slave ratio, for each plantation, around?

6. Who do they trade with the most? I know the export their crops and such, but who do they import from? Where do they export to the most?

7. Are there any places Kenash just REALLY doesn't like?

...That's all for now :)

Spirit Frostfawn
Whistle with the Birds

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Banickle on June 21st, 2013, 1:46 am

It has, hasn't it? I'm so very sorry. Part of that is my fault. Work has been INSANE for me! However, I'm now on a thirteen day vacation. Yay! So expect to see me around more than usual. I'm also starting a new job the third week of July that will return the life that I lost upon taking up my current position, which, at times, is something akin to being an ER doctor. 24/7 anyone?

Anywho. These are some great questions. So let's just jump right on in!

• WEATHER: I would tend to think that the summer seasons are hot and sticky, while the spring and fall seasons are a bit more mild. I'm also thinking that winter is cold, but rarely freezing. As for precipitation, rain is common and probably extreme at times, but snow is rare. I picture fog being an issue too, as well as the occasional hail storm and tornado.
  • ARCHITECTURE: Opulent and ornate for the rich, with form taking the lead over function, but simple and bland for the poor, with function ruling the day. Ten slaves to a single room? Sure! Although, that being said, with the strong potential for flooding, I would think that some areas have no choice but to be practical and raise their buildings up or suffer the consequences. As for the overall look, think Americana and Southern charm: strong pillars, wide porches, massive doorways, floor to ceiling windows, winding staircases, lofty ceilings, more woodwork than stone, etc., etc., etc.
  • FASHION: Trends come and trends go. In Kenash, this probably happens more often than not. One week, leather may be the 'in' fabric, but then the next thing you know everyone is wearing velvet and lace. Again, think Southern charm. We may just see our first top hat and tails on a wealthy lord and a pair of dirty overalls on a slave or two. Time will tell.
  • DEFENSES: For the most part, this is probably family specific. Each plantation needs to protect their borders, their crops or goods, their slaves - their everything! - and they need to do it on their own. There really isn't a unified force protecting all of Kenash. Oh, and the Zith are probably the least of their worries. They are probably more concerned with what another family will do, not to mention the threats found within each family unit. Greed can be blinding and can often leads to desperate acts even when it's a relative that is the threat. Also, there are the Rujaro (runaway slaves) lurking in the surrounding swampland just waiting to take down those who once oppressed them.
  • POPULATION: To be honest, I'm not sure I can answer this question yet. My initial thought is ten slaves for every one family member, but the ruling families are large, too. So if we have a family with roughly 100 members in it, does that mean 1000 slaves? Perhaps. There are also Freeborns and the Rujaro. I guess once we decide on the overall population, it will simply be a matter of breaking it down to make the most sense. Syliras has a population of 50k, while Riverfall is only 8k. Ravok is 15k and Avanthal is only 6k. Should Kenash be somewhere on the higher end? Perhaps. I could easily see it being close to 20k with the slave population being nearly a third to a half of that. With 12 ruling families, we're probably looking at a base of 10k, including the slaves.
  • TRADE: This is also hard to tell at this point seeing that we are still working out the types of crops and businesses found within the city. Will they import fine wine and glassware from Riverfall? Maybe. I'm thinking that they will want the best of the best if they can't produce it themselves. So maybe we're talking whatever is the finest of each thing in all the realm, but you also have to keep in mind that trading will still be difficult, regardless of the fact that we now have Wind Reach flying to the furthest reaches.
  • RELATIONS: Hmm. Considering Kenash is really only just coming into its own now, this is also a grey area. Do they like Akalaks? Sure. Konti? You bet. Kelvics? They sure make great slaves! But do they see value in a noble knight from Syliras? Meh. Probably not. How about a thieving Ravokian? Perhaps. As long as they don't mind getting their hands dirty. Seeing that a good number of the families found in Kenash have their origins elsewhere, I would think they are a bit more open-minded than your typical Mizaharian, but, again, time will tell.

Okay. If this doesn't get the ball rolling, I don't know what will!

Long live Kenash,
Banickle
Banickle
Shall I slay you a tune?

Words: 138636
Joined roleplay: April 23rd, 2013, 12:36 am
Office
Featured Contributor (1)

Postby Banickle on June 21st, 2013, 4:30 pm

Architecture samples...

Arch Sample 1

Arch Sample 2

Arch Sample 3

Arch Sample 4

Arch Sample 5

Arch Sample 6

Arch Sample 7

Arch Sample 8

Arch Sample 9

Arch Sample 10

And I know I posted these weeks ago, but here are a few fashion samples...

Snake & Gator Skin Gear

Fancy Boots

Fancy Buckles
Banickle
Shall I slay you a tune?

Office
Featured Contributor (1)

Postby Gossamer on June 21st, 2013, 5:27 pm

I need to post this to get this out of my system and for people to comment on it as well.

My Goal for Kenash is to have it be super interactive with seasonal awards given not based on thread goals but based on RP and popularity. I know in a lot of ways popularity sucks, but in the case of Kenash, its going to work towards your advantage. If you win a "Best" Category, you are going to win awards of land, money, and items.

Some of these awards will consist of:

Best Category: Overall PC, Dressed PC, CS, Snob, Deviant, Fight Scene, Love Scene, Villain, Hero, Master, Slave, Businessman/woman etc.

I thought of including a Worst Category with a paltry land or coin award, such as "Grats you win a new stump or a silver Miza" But I didn't want to hurt anyone's feelings with boobie prizes.

Winning awards would yield you a medal and fame and increase your character's wealth and standing in the city. These awards would come as a vote from the population of Kenash, staff, etc to be tallied in secret each season end and announced on the first day of season change. Voting would be open the last second and third week of the season, leaving the final week for vote counting. I can set up an email to take votes only with.

What do you guys think?

And Banickle... your questions are good ones. I love the architecture samples. Here are my thoughts on everything.

WEATHER:

Georgia. No real winter except maybe early spring. Winters are mild mild mild like they always are in swamps... hellishly wet, but never cold. Cotton wont' grow in very very cold climates. Summer is unbearably hot. Spring and fall you can actually enjoy the place.

ARCHITECTURE:

You hit the nail on the head. Every bit of high ground is taken up by the rich... we're talking 500 year flood high ground. The poor live on stilted houses and use horses and foot to get around in the dry season, and boats in the wet season. They mostly use boats the poorer they are.

FASHION:

I'm letting you take the lead on this one buddy. I like the leather and the more fabric the richer you are, but I also thing women in leather britches is hot too. Slaves wear very little clothing, both having owned almost nothing, and the weather being sticky hot. Slaves who belong to the rich often wear wealthy clothing as well, especially if they are in a position to be shown off... in shops and service industries. I think very highly tailored riding coats and leather high boots are great for the men. Women, silks and brocades... But I'm totally open for anyone's thoughts on this.

DEFENSE:

We are on the same page. The families I think tend to build up their armies during their reign as magistrates and those forces determine their political strengths and weaknesses too. I'm fine with 20K, but I was thinking Kenash was on the smaller side just for the fact that most of the population lives on plantations OUTSIDE the city which is what makes Kenash unique. Inside the city, the population gets larger just because caravan's traveling through. Teere's always strangers in Kenash. The economy depends on it.

TRADE:

Trade has been for the most part worked out between who what were and why. I think Sylira as a region takes a lot of Kenash's crops, as do Riverfall. Kenash produces, unusually, far more than it needs to feed itself. It's like Mizahar's bread bowl. Zeltiva often buys a lot... a lot of Kenash's grains just like it does Syliras' wheat crops.

RELATIONS:

Here is where you are wrong, Banickle. But I think its because you failed to consider something important. I'll have to remember this moment, because you are so rarely wrong. Kenash values the knights highly... they cater to them... cow to them, etc. Why? The Kabrin Road. The Kabrin is the lifeblood of Kenash just like the caravans and traders are. If the road isn't defended, guarded, kept open and safe... no trade happens. No coin comes in. No visitors stop. Tourism grinds to a halt. Kenash NEEDS the knights to go out and fight and keep the road open. I suspect Knights stay and eat in Kenash for free, that's how much they need them. If no knights, no kabrin, and Kenash would be in a world of hurt. I do agree 100% that Kenash has a lack of say Xenophobia and Bigotry except to you know.. .poor folk. I also think Kenash is going to be a huge generator of political weapons such as assassins etc... trained by specific families.

Anyhow, those are my thoughts. How do you guys like the Award Idea? What would you like to see in terms of your take in the WEATHER and all the other categories discussed here?

BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6357243
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Spirit Frostfawn on June 21st, 2013, 5:50 pm

I love your idea Goss! It's like... the Miz-wide featured character/contributor thing, but we get rewards IC... and there's a lot more stuff out there! It'll provide a lot of competition too, IC and OOC I think...

Spirit Frostfawn
Whistle with the Birds

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Banickle on June 21st, 2013, 5:51 pm

I. LOVE. IT. Simply brilliant. Yep. Brilliant.

Oh, and, yeah, I totally overlooked that rather important detail. My bad. Knights rock! Long live the knights! Kenash is forever in their debt! Go knights, go!
Banickle
Shall I slay you a tune?

Office
Featured Contributor (1)

PreviousNext