Closed [Mirahil Pass] An Introduction to Arms (Ricky)

Castor meets Ricky for another training session.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

[Mirahil Pass] An Introduction to Arms (Ricky)

Postby Castor Riley on June 25th, 2013, 2:18 am

Day 9, Summer of 513 AV
A Little Before 13th Bell

Castor made his slow way towards Mirahil Pass, as he had the day before. Once more he saw the familiar sight of the mountains approaching closer and closer to one another, stopping a few tens of feet short. Once more, he felt the hot sun, slowly roasting him in his shirt. He'd definitely be getting a new one. Tomorrow. Also once more, he reached a tree, under which some blessedly cool shade could be found. What was not the same this time, however, was that Ricky had yet to appear. Obviously, Castor must have arrived a bit too early and his friendly Wave Guard must still be on duty.

Deciding to take the opportunity to relax the muscles he'd soon be using in his training and to get out of the hot, summer sun, Castor went beneath the tree and sat down. He relaxed, leaning against the tree, waiting for his friend to arrive, legs crossed over each other in a comfortable position. Hopefully, he wouldn't have to wait too long, or he might just fall asleep. The heat had the uncanny ability to dull one's senses, so long as it was just pleasantly hot. And beneath that tree, it was.
Always open for a thread! Feel free to PM me!
Mailbox
Castor Riley
Player

Words: 127927
Joined roleplay: April 23rd, 2013, 11:59 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Ricky Maze on June 25th, 2013, 9:17 am

Ricky had been further down along the Pass as was due to his post, he had to check a little further on down the path that would eventually lead on into the Wildlands, only to find that it was safe for the time being anyway. He had almost lost track of time as he remembered where the sun had been yesterday, clearly it he was in need of a break now since it had gotten to that time of day. The point where the heat would only rise and continue to do so as the sun slowly began to fall, and pretty much put any man in a sweat without any real work or effort put into anything really. Thus when the guard walked onward to the place where he and Castor were to meet, a friendly smile filled his presently worn expression as the boredom of patrol seemed to no longer concern him. It was time to train his good friend again once more, this time a bit of a change up in how he would do things.

Ricky had thought about many ways to train Castor today, more importantly the better evasive nature Castor likely had in him after what Ricky had observed yesterday. His movements and his way of fighting just spoke to Ricky in a manner that suggested "balanced" more then anything, an even portion of strength as well as agility probably resided in Castor. "Hey ya lazy bum." He called with a wave to his friend as he grew nearer the meadow of the Pass, sweat had poured on his brow in mass as his hair looked thoroughly soaked. He was relieved to feel the shade he entered as he he unfastened the first top buttons of the uniform jacket. "Laviku's beard it's hotter then a whore in a temple on worship eve." He mused as he tugged the jacket a bit to ventilate what air he could, though little seemed to flow even the grace of the shade provided. Too warm had it gotten today, Ricky would practically have to bath again when he got home from the job. All the sweating made him feel grungy rather quickly.

"Ya ready to learn a bit more 'bout fightin' with yer fists today?" He inquired with a bit of enthusiasm, already undoing the rest of his jacket to be hung on a branch like yesterday. Ricky would turn to his good friend and wait for a response, relief in a sigh as he felt almost a slight coolness begin to caress his drenched body. By the gods it got hot in the jacket, Ricky wondered how the rest of the guard was handling the heat.

"Ricky's words.", "Ricky's thoughts.", "Telion's words.", "Hannah's words.", "Other's words."
Journal - Plotnotes - Announcement!
Scrapbook - Shop (Closed)- Vlogs
Credit goes to Fallon for allowing me to temper with her codings! :)
Ricky Maze
"Bottom's up!"

Words: 2035002
Joined roleplay: March 30th, 2011, 9:02 pm
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 7
Trailblazer (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) 2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)
2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Castor Riley on June 26th, 2013, 6:29 pm

Castor looked up at the sound of his friend's voice and waved back at the approaching Wave Guard. His eyes had begun to droop dangerously before the man had called for his attention. He slowly got up to his feet, cleaning the dirt off the palms of his hands.

Castor laughed at Ricky's expression. "Yeah, that sounds about right!" He began to unbutton his own shirt as they got straight to the point of their meeting. "Thank the gods for the breeze," he added, though there was little enough of one to be felt. He wondered how hot summers got in Zeltiva. Already it was quite a bit warmer than he was used to, coming from Syliras, but hopefully it wouldn't get any worse; the heat always made him feel exhausted and lazy.

"You know it!" He said with a smile, matching Ricky's enthusiams. As Ricky removed his shirt completely, so did Castor. He noticed that the man was glistening with a sheen of sweat, and they hadn't even started yet. "Man, you're sweating buckets! That uniform must be horrible to wear in the summer! Don't you guys have one that's more suited to the weather?" He asked, feeling a bit sorry that his friend had to wear such material every day with such heat.
Mailbox
Castor Riley
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Ricky Maze on June 26th, 2013, 7:51 pm

Castor's enthusiasm was in fact a warm welcome on this near hot day, and he even laughed in a merry manner as Castor expressed the copious amount of sweat his body exuded. "Not really, it never usually gets this hot in Zeltiva." He wiped the sweat from his brow with the back of his hand, though that seemed to do him little good since part of his hand was also drenched. He cursed at how hot blooded he was for this, but then again he'd consider it a blessing once again when cold bonesnapper of winter would hit. "Maybe the Guard will invest in a secondary uniform for such hot occasions like this." He mused with a chuckle, although the idea seemed unlikely. Wishful thinking nonetheless. "Okay mate, here's what we'll do today, we'll be seein' how much yer aim's improved for the first half of this bell. Then we'll do a bit o' a change up and put those reflexes ya got to use, see how well ya can avoid incomin' attacks when its possible."

Ricky took his defensive stance with knees bent and legs apart, arms raised to chest level as he put on his game face. "I'll be blockin' every intended punch ya throw at me, and I want ya to literally try and land a blow anywhere but me arms. Yer aim can be focused dead center on me chest if ya like, but I don't want ya pullin' any weight back ya understand. Hit me with all ye got." He instructed with a not, fists clenched as he mentally braced himself to watch and observe the movements Castor would make. This training session would be the same as yesterday only more serious, Ricky wanted to see Castor in his top form when it would come to a fight. For a scholar he truly did have the potential to be more, to do more if he just set his mind onto whatever he wanted. For Ricky to help Castor on this journey he had to be both a bit tough and a bit nurturing, one of the many ways for progress to be achieved was to guide and encourage at the same time. Thus the session was ready to begin. "Show me what ya got mate, don't hold anythin' back!" He encouraged with a bit of enthusiasm, determination filled his focused expression.

"Ricky's words.", "Ricky's thoughts.", "Telion's words.", "Hannah's words.", "Other's words."
Ricky Maze
"Bottom's up!"

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Castor Riley on June 27th, 2013, 3:42 am

When Ricky mentioned seeing how much Castor's aim had improved, he gulped inwardly. He hadn't really taken Ricky's suggestion of punching his pillow seriously, and hadn't really done anything to train his aim when he'd left Ricky yesterday. He kicked himself inwardly for being such a petching ass when his friend was trying so hard to help him out.

When Ricky asked Castor to pummel him with as many punches as he could get in, he felt that their training was, once more, taking a turn for the violent that he just had to get comfortable with. "Isn't there a way to train without, you know, beating each other up?" He asked, without much hope.

He sighed and prepared himself for the exercise. As he had the previous day, he took the offensive position and aimed his shot by extending his fist towards where he wanted to get the hits in: Ricky's chest. "Ok," he said, finally, "here I go." With that, Castor began throwing punches, starting slowly and hesitantly, but getting faster as he grew in boldness and got comfortable with the punching motion. Quite a few had gone quite off target, but Castor had been focusing more on aiming correctly than registering where he got each hit to land. "So, how did I do?" He asked, wiping the sweat forming on his brow.
Mailbox
Castor Riley
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Ricky Maze on June 28th, 2013, 7:42 am

""It was always heartwarming to see that a friend cared well enough not wish to fight, not that Ricky ever really had friends that did wish to do so anyway. Still this training was vital should Castor need to defend himself proper in a real battle, and that meant he had to intend to hurt his target in order to do real damage. Thus the librarian prepared himself and went in for an array of physical blows that Ricky did his best to block, with eyes focused on not his incoming enemy but the directions the fists were headed Ricky barely managed to keep up with Castor's swift movements. "He could be faster if there be more precision, that'll take practice though." He observed with small bouts of air released from his nose as he timed the position of his arms accordingly. If only he could be this calm about fighting when he was under real pressure, it would certainly make things easier to handle when he really needed a clear mind. Then again he likely could keep a clear head in battle, if he also trained to better himself when such a dire situation would occur. Out of the blows that Castor did spike to Ricky only two of them almost broke through, barely touching the target that waited to experience the impact of a full force punch.

"He could be faster, and he definitely could pack more power in his arm."
He admired Castor's potential once more with a wide smirk on his face, steady sighs left the guard as his mind still focused on the method at work. "Decent work mate but ya lack spirit, I know ye don't really want to hurt me but believe me when I say this, if ya don't put the real intention into it then ya won't be prepared for the real deal. I can take a punch with no problem, so don't worry 'bout hurtin' me any aight. Just focus on givin' yer all, and don't hold up on any blows ya understand." He encouraged with a nod to his good friend, determined to help him see the potential in himself just as Ricky saw. First Castor had to build the confidence in knowing he can actually hurt with his punches, then he would finally be ready to start his real training with Ricky. That is of course after Ricky helped Castor get a feel for his footing, since he was agile that could be put to good use. Evasion had its perks when one could use it well enough. "If it helps ya mate I promise ya, I won't be mad, if anythin' I'd be rather proud just to be hit by a hard punch from ya." He mused with a chuckle, still in his defensive stance from moments ago. "Now swing at me, as hard and fast as ye can." He encouraged once more, prepared to take would he would hope tougher blows then the ones he took.

Ricky Maze
"Bottom's up!"

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Castor Riley on June 28th, 2013, 9:14 pm

Castor was disappointed that his first attempt had been a failure; even if it had been a bit half-hearted, he'd still had to expend quite a bit of energy to perform it. Still, one could only expect results when one was actually trying hard. Ricky's blocking also didn't make the exercise any easier; he had to find a way around it, as he didn't really have enough force behind his punches to really break through. He'd have to be a bit smart about it if he wanted to succeed. "Sorry, I'll get my head in the game, man." It would be extremely rude of him to not do so, when Ricky was giving up his break time to train him.

He thought back to the previous day, remembering Ricky's advice about blocking, trying to figure out a gap in it. 'See here, the block pushes away the direction o' the punch when ye time it good enough, since ya weren't really intendin' to hurt me there was no pressure in gettin' the timin'. When ya are under pressure though ya gotta keep a cool and clear head, otherwise ya might pull too soon or too late,' Ricky's voice sounded clearly in his mind. The crux of blocking was obvious from the way Ricky had pointed out what to pay closest attention to: the timing. If Castor wanted to get a punch in with an experienced fighter like Ricky was, he'd have to find a way to throw his timing off.

He suppressed a smile as he prepared to play a little trick on Ricky to achieve this. "Fine, Ricky, I'll try," he said, making himself sound uncertain. He took the offensive stance once more, doing things as he had before; he calculated the distance by hand first, then began throwing slower punches than he was actually able to, with a steady rhythm, so as to get his friend used to their particular timing, while also going in a steady pattern of left-right-right. Once he felt that Ricky had gotten used to this pattern and tempo, he changed it up, suddenly; on the tail of the first right that he intended to be blocked, he did a quick left, using his proper speed and strength, and hoped it would get through as he aimed it at the middle of the Wave Guard's torso.
Mailbox
Castor Riley
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Ricky Maze on June 29th, 2013, 6:33 am

"There ya go." He cheered when Castor finally sumbitted to the effort of giving his all, his proud grin present once more as he noticed his good friend take a moment to brace himself. Ricky knew he would have to be ready for a relentless barrage or something at least, judging by the new found determination Castor finally managed to show. "Excellent, he's 'bout to show that potential." This pleased Ricky even more as this had been the first step all along, to help Castor pull out that part of him that could in fact be a fighter. A defender. Someone who could most definitely put up a struggle before the world would snuff out his flame, as that spark could one day ignite inside to pull him through Dira's domain and back so long as he gave it his all.

When Castor started with his punches Ricky had little trouble picking up on the pattern, each set was followed with at least one punch from the left and two from the right. Every one of them found the arms he used to shield himself prevented any further entry as he kept his mind focused on just when the right timing was. Castor was definitely right handed, Ricky could tell by the amount of times he used the right fist more than his left. "He'll have to switch it up if he don't wanna get-" A change in the pattern, one that caught Ricky in for a surprise as he didn't see it coming. At least not until it was too late. Castor had sent his right fist forward only to be blocked as before, but Castor knew that Ricky's focus had been all in the zone of timing, so he did the one thing Ricky should've been prepared for at all times. Expect the unexpected. When the left fist came in the direction of his chest he hadn't the chance to react, his mind still focused on how the pattern went as if it were habit. Thus went he reacted to block it his timing was only too late, and Castor's fist made direct impact on the right side of Ricky's chest with a loud thump. Ricky took a step back with eyes on the spot Castor punched, an exhale followed with pants as he found it in him to breath again. He had been so focused on the method he literally held his breath when the punch landed, thus he looked back up to Castor with a smile of approval as he massaged the now slightly red spot on his chest.

"Damn mate, now that was a good punch there. Way to sock one to me right when I didn't expect it." He enthused with a proud chuckle. "That was good! Find a way to get past yer enemy's defense and sock em hard like that. Ye're doin' great already Castor, just like I knew ya would." He admired the amount of progress Castor had made, yesterday he had mustered the courage to start training, today however he completed the first step in pulling out that raw power he held inside. Castor had proven himself capable of being a fighter now, and so phase one of their training had been completed. "S'pose ya wanna get to our second stage of our trainin' today. That or we can do a few more of the punchin' exercises we just did if ya like, it's yer call mate." He assured Castor with a grin, arms crossed as he waited to hear what the choice would be. Though he still may be drenched in sweat from the workout, Ricky sure did enjoy the feeling it gave to be active compared to patrolling a route everyday.

Ricky Maze
"Bottom's up!"

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Castor Riley on July 1st, 2013, 7:04 am

For the first time, Castor felt the satisfying feeling of a well-timed punch to an opponent's chest. The surprise on Ricky's face as he had made his move had meant his tactic had worked splendidly. Castor felt a rush of pride at this. He hadn't expected it, but he liked this training he was having with Ricky. He was sure he'd hate to have to use it in actual combat, but sparring for sport was rather fun.

After he had recovered from the impact, It seemed Ricky was as enthusiastic as Castor about this success. Castor always felt a bit awkward when Ricky praised him like that. "Thanks, Ricky. You know, if I'm good, it's because I've had a good teacher," he said, lightly bumping Ricky's left shoulder with his fist. "I hope I didn't hurt ya!" he added, smiling widely. "As for what to do now, you're the teacher, whatever you think is best, I'll do. I'm ready for whatever," he ended, jumping lightly from foot to foot in place, his hands in the offensive stance, punching at an invisble enemy.
Mailbox
Castor Riley
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Ricky Maze on July 1st, 2013, 7:53 pm

"Bah!" Ricky reputed with a chuckle and slight blush. "I'm just a man lookin' out for his friends. Bein' a teacher is more so bein' a guide for those who learn, so really I'm just helpin' pass on the torch to our younger generation." He mused with a smile as he watched Castor get into the spirit of punching even more, some quick bounces followed by punches to a target that only Castor could really see. Ricky did feel a sense of accomplishment at seeing this, as it proved to be evident that Castor had in fact found a bit of confidence in himself. That potential Ricky wanted him to see had finally been shown, which is exactly what Castor needed if he were to be able to defend himself.

"Aight Castor, we've one bit of a lesson to learn that'll take," he paused as he looked at the position of the sun, "Well it looks like we'll spend a bit of time on this then I'll be gettin' back to my patrol." He looked to Castor once more with the same challenging look on his face. "It's yer turn to be on the defensive side now, though I don't want ya to just block my blows when I bring 'em to ya. I want ya to try and dodge them as well. Unlike me yer a bit on the quick agile side, so ya can find it easier to evade better then I can." Ricky got in the defensive stance he held earlier, but his arms were down low now rather then held up. There was a bit of a forward lean in his stance as he opened and closed his fists, eyes on Castor now with the same challenge in them just like before. Ricky wanted to see Castor do his best in this, and he expected no less from a close friend.

"I'll kinda pull me punches to avoid seriously hurtin' ya mate, as I don't even know my own strength half the time." That assurance probably sounded a bit intimidating, which was far from what Ricky intended. Truly he didn't know how strong he really was, but he had an idea after his blackout when Odis did die. All he knew was that he punched the bastard until he broke his right hand, and his left had snapped the windpipe from squeezing so hard. That was when he was only because his anger got the better of him, and it was predictable considering what the pirate did to his dog. Since then of course Ricky hasn't had a blackout thankfully, and he hoped nobody would try to bring that dark part of him out.

"Remember that ye'll have to block some blows from.me, but yer main focus is avoidin' what ya can so ye'll build those reflexes." He assured Castor with a bit of determination, he was positive that was better then saying "I'll try not to hurt you too bad" anyway. Ricky waited so Castor would be better prepared for this, the chance to calm his mind to where he would be able to register where Ricky's fists would fly to. When Ricky felt that Castor had enough time to prepare he went in for his first set of strikes, the first one being a hook from his right directed to Castor's shoulder. Whether Castor avoided this or blocked it he would find Ricky's left fist went in for a midblow to Castor's right side of the chest. Sort of like Castor did, Ricky would alternate with his fists to keep his friend on his toes. Ricky would go with a right-left-right combo then alternate with a left-right-left combo to start off as a basic, when Castor would show a bit better experience in evading and blocking blows Ricky would then step up his game and alternate these combos even further.
Ricky Maze
"Bottom's up!"

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Next