Closed Sicker Than A Dog

(Wrenmae) Ricky is coming down sick the day after the gathering of the guards.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

Sicker Than A Dog

Postby Ricky Maze on February 5th, 2013, 9:46 am

Sicker Than A Dog
Part 3.4 of The Part of Moving On
Winter 51st 512 AV; 11th Bell

The challenge proves to us who we are but what we do afterwards only signifies this, our actions we take seal the verification and leave us to wonder; are we really ready to move forward? Can we hope to make it through the storm that awaits us?

Ricky laid in bed with the cough and cold, sick of being sick as he was only just getting started. The plague seem to finally catch up with him it seems, but what man could hide away from such a thing? East Street was in fact the worst area, the disease had a terrible effect there just as well as everywhere else in Zeltiva but it seemed as if it was hit the hardest. For Ricky it was generally best for him to remain indoors until he was better, over the sickness he had comedown with and able to be back on duty once again. He remembered yesterday's event and thought of it as a dream, but the aches and pains he had said otherwise compared to his thoughts. Or was that the plague as well? He didn't really know, all he knew was there was a fever met with a cold sweat.

Ricky generally knew how to fend of colds and sickness, being raised with a single father he generally had to. Common sense was all that was needed, and the correct know how to take care of ones self of course. Even if he was sweating Ricky had to keep himself wrapped, and a cold wet rag nearby to use on the forehead if not behind the ears. He wondered how the other men were doing, and if they too were catching the sickness at hand. He remembered that he invited Wren over, and hoped that the man would be rather busy today. After all it wouldn't do to pass on this sickness, not when it was a fellow comrade in arms. Ricky's head hurt as he turned on his right side, eyes closed as he tried to relax. The effort was in vain though as his muscles tightened, clearly he wasn't just dealing with the cold.

'By Laviku I'm a docked ship for a while now.' He thought to himself as a cough managed to escape fron him, those have been on occasion but irritating nonetheless.
Last edited by Ricky Maze on July 22nd, 2013, 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Journal - Plotnotes - Announcement!
Scrapbook - Shop (Closed)- Vlogs
Credit goes to Fallon for allowing me to temper with her codings! :)
Ricky Maze
"Bottom's up!"

Words: 2035002
Joined roleplay: March 30th, 2011, 9:02 pm
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 7
Trailblazer (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) 2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)
2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Sicker Than A Dog

Postby Wrenmae on March 4th, 2013, 6:49 pm

There was no ceremony to his arrival, no polite knock, no cough, no indication of his arrival. There was only the flat clack-clack of boot heels on wood and the door simply opened, admitting the Waveguard in full uniform into Ricky’s room. After last night, the gears in Wren’s mind had been ever turning, ever whirling, ever moving. The young man was curled in his covers, his face the ashen color of old parchment. The hypnotist paused, eyes narrowing just a moment before he breathed out his frustration and took a step back into the doorway, giving a short bow.

“My apologies for being so forward,” he said with a short smile, “I wasn’t aware you were ill.” He remained at the door, hanging both in and out of the room. His eyes never left Ricky, “I hope the chill from last night’s activity didn’t cause this malady, if so, you have my sincerest of apologies.” He bowed again, sword chiming quietly at his side. Last night, Ricky had been a marvelous addition to the group. It wasn’t merely his skill, in fact, hardly that at all. The fervor by which he embraced the tenants taught and truly worked to hone his body for Zeltiva inspired the hypnotist to seek him out for continued mentoring.

“Well,” he said at last, “If you are unable to patrol with me, I suppose I can take some time and speak with you. Tell me Ricky, what did you think of last night?”

Sig by Shausha

This PC has the Blight gnosis. As such, you as a player need to be aware of what that consists of. Wrenmae has an invisible aura that amplifies sickness and disease. Wounds may become infected, small sneezes may become coughing, and a slight fever may become more serious. A nuit's body will also break down faster in the presence of the Blight. These effects may not be immediate, but within the few days following your encounter, the symptoms will manifest. Some sooner than others. I cannot control your character, so creativity will be left up to you. Best wishes and stay healthy!

Special shoutout to Fallon for my new CS
Wrenmae
Taleweaver

Words: 1276299
Joined roleplay: April 15th, 2011, 6:34 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 9
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Trailblazer (2) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) 2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Sicker Than A Dog

Postby Ricky Maze on March 5th, 2013, 5:26 am

The sound of wood giving way to boots with each step made Ricky curious as to who would proceed to intrude in the cottage at such a time like this. Yet when the door was ajar and Wrenmae was on the other side, what little tension that was in his body was relieved to know it was a familiar face. "My apologies for being so forward, I wasn’t aware you were ill." He remained station at the door and continued to speak, "I hope the chill from last night’s activity didn’t cause this malady, if so, you have my sincerest of apologies.”

Ricky leaned up to relax against the bedframe, his entire head drenched in sweat. "Aye, it's that time I guess. With the sickness about I knew it was only a matter of time. Least I'll be stronger when it passes, won't have to worry bout it again till next year." There was a faint smile of assurance, one that he hoped proved convincing. It was indeed only a matter of time, for when the blight decided to hit his home it hit hard.

“Well, if you are unable to patrol with me, I suppose I can take some time and speak with you. Tell me Ricky, what did you think of last night?” Wrenmae inquirred. Ricky took about a chime to file through his thoughts until he found the one he was looking for.

"Ah. Last night was different." He admitted with a weak nod, he remembered how anxious he felt and in the end even more accomplished than before. It was refreshing while it lasted. "To actually know and feel like I can better protect our fair home makes me feel at ease. Truly there ain't no better feelin." There was sincere honesty mixed with a faint heary, even after such determination he still felt he hadn't gotten as far as he'd like to; but progress was something that sometimes required patience.

He held Wrenmae in high regard however, for it was him that more so inspired Ricky last night. Without that inspiration to go with his determination, surely Ricky wouldn't have made it through the way he did. That and the fact Wrenmae was here even now proved to Ricky what a reliable companion the man really was. "What bout ye lad? Did last night go as well as you planned?"
Ricky Maze
"Bottom's up!"

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Sicker Than A Dog

Postby Wrenmae on July 22nd, 2013, 7:11 am

Taking a seat across from Ricky, Wren thought on it a few moments. Certainly it hadn't been everything he'd expected. Part of him had hoped for more and yet...he wasn't the best teacher, certainly not.

In essence, there was time for both of them to improve at what they did.

Crossing his arms across his chest, Wrenmae nodded and smiled at Ricky. Of all the recruits who came out that night, Ricky had performed at the highest caliber. If not purely in skill, he certainly had the most fervor. Wrenmae recognized that talent in people...it glowed, filled the hearts and minds of those around them...inspired them to glow as well. Ricky had the power to change things in Zeltiva, and without that dark taint about him that both he and Ignotus had...Wrenmae was confident in leaving him in charge for completely different reasons than Ignotus.

"I'd say that I was surprised," He answered, "There's a long way to go for a lot of you, but that doesn't mean I wasn't impressed." He smiled at Ricky again and sat back against the chair, "You have a lot of heart, Ricky. Now, I wasn't born in Zeltiva...but I've been around a bit to know that heart only touches a few. You have the power to make change happen if you set your mind to it..and that's what I believe."

His fingers drummed on the arm of the chair and he shrugged, "We'll continue training, see what you can do at the end of the season. Remember, most of these folks in the Waveguard are volunteers. They aren't warriors...they're fishers and the sons of fishers. If Zeltiva is to be protected, you'll need to be better than those that would do it harm."

Looking past Ricky and to Zeltiva in the street beyond, Wrenmae sighed.

"Tell me, Ricky. What kind of changes do you want to see in our fair city?"

Sig by Shausha

This PC has the Blight gnosis. As such, you as a player need to be aware of what that consists of. Wrenmae has an invisible aura that amplifies sickness and disease. Wounds may become infected, small sneezes may become coughing, and a slight fever may become more serious. A nuit's body will also break down faster in the presence of the Blight. These effects may not be immediate, but within the few days following your encounter, the symptoms will manifest. Some sooner than others. I cannot control your character, so creativity will be left up to you. Best wishes and stay healthy!

Wrenmae
Taleweaver

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Sicker Than A Dog

Postby Ricky Maze on July 22nd, 2013, 8:52 am

Ricky gave a soft chuckle and heeved a bit as his chest muscles contracted, a bit of a coughing fit followed as he cupped his hamd over his mouth. He caved a few silent curses when it settled enough for him to breath out of his mouth again once more, eyes became glassy as he cleared his throat to deal with the itch the soreness brought on. Wrenmae pointed out the fact Ricky had heart and with it he could somehow change anything he set his mind to it, it was a compliment the guard took serious with appreciation clear in a slow nod. "Thanks mate, though I doubt I could honestly bring such change." He admitted as humbly as he could through a stuffy nose and congestion, he tried his best to look less miserable before his colleague. Though he looked toward Wrenmae with what confidence he could show, Ricky hadn't the ability to look the man in the eyes yet. A trait born out of natural habit. He did though give a weak smile as he listened to Wren speak of training, and how every other guard was just a volunteer no less.

"Sound's like a good idea to me mate, I'll be ready to train soon I hope. It's pro'lly just a nasty cold and not the actual plague. Lucky me right." He mused with another weak chuckle. His minor headache throbbed in the center of his mind as he rubbed his left temple with his hand, and he thought about how alike he really was with the rest of the guard. "I'm pretty much the same. Raised alone by me pa for a while, became a fisherman like he did as it was family trade. Though I lost him out at sea." He admitted with a vacant expression as he watched Wren drum the armchair. A more curious question came soon after that made Ricky ponder for a reflective answer, changes that would fit the city. Something he wanted the most. The answer itself was a bit of a different one then Ricky would've came up with, but nevertheless it was honestly straight from his heart.

"I remember a time where I grew up and the city was a safe place, or at least appeared safe to me I guess. I never really had to worry 'bout the chance that someone would rob me blind or anythin' for the longest time, but I guess I was just a naive man at the time." He leaned his head back against the bedframe and stared at the wall across the room. "I came back and lose everythin' I ever had important, and all that's left is just me. Since I can't that I'd rather keep others from the same thing, so in a sense... make Zeltiva as safe as I once thought it to be." He finished with a snort to follow, in an effort to hopefully clear his naval. That didn't help of course, so he could only sigh and continue to breath out his mouth. "What would ya change about the city? What with a murderer about I'd imagine the security bein' a consideration." He assumed with a look over to Wrenmae once more, curious eyes watched his facial movements with his peripheral vision.
Ricky Maze
"Bottom's up!"

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Sicker Than A Dog

Postby Wrenmae on July 25th, 2013, 9:21 pm

"Zeltiva," he breathed, "It's a city that, when I first saw it from the deck of the ship, I thought was beautiful." Folding his hands together, he crossed a leg over his other and leaned back in the chair. It seemed like years ago that he'd first come to Zeltiva, not fully himself, and suffering from the effects of overgiving.

"Perhaps once, Zeltiva was truly protected and safe...but as travel slowly increases between the cities, runoff from Sunberth and other places will inevitably start to trickle into the city." Frowning, he tapped on the hilt of his dagger still on his belt, "And things will get more dangerous. As the Waveguard, we're expected to intercept that potential violence and stop it. We're expected to be better than it."

Standing up, he paced around the room to Ricky's bedside, reaching out his hand and clasping Ricky's shoulder. "You're the future of this Waveguard. Your leadership will either usher in a new era of peace and power in Zeltiva, or bring it to ruin."

A chuckle, and he let him go, "Not to put so much pressure on you, but you're a son of Zeltiva...born in the seaspray of its harbor and sharpened in its streets. I'm an outsider and I could never lead the Waveguard into being a competent force."

He sighed and returned to his seat, "One day, I may not be here to instruct you and the others. I need you to promise me you'll step in and do what I've tried to do, make Zeltiva stronger, make the Waveguard stronger, make yourself stronger."

A finger pointed imperiously toward Ricky.

"That, my friend, is the only way you'll survive...and it starts with kicking the shyke out of this cold you have. Now stand up and get your weapon, we spar."

Sig by Shausha

Wrenmae
Taleweaver

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Sicker Than A Dog

Postby Ricky Maze on July 26th, 2013, 12:51 am

As Ricky listened to Wrenmae talk about his first visit to Zeltiva he found the man's perspective a refreshing one indeed, the fact that the city was in fact once safe when Ricky lived here had not been some illusion he had lived in for the longest time after all. Trouble however always found a way to worm itself into the heart of even the safest of sanctuaries, and the Wave Guard were the dividing line of defense just as Wrenmae put it.

Wrenmae then proceeded to pace around, and speak to Ricky of Zeltiva's future as not just a Wave Guard, but a leader as well in the long run. This piqued Ricky's interest more than anything, as he hadn't thought himself capable of such a thing. He wasn't worthy to be called a leader, all he could think of himself was nothing more than a simple man. A lowly guard only doing what he can to protect what others have, though that was only the half truth compared to his real reason. Yet Wrenmae talked to him as though he believed in Ricky, as if he did had the potential to do more, to be more, then just a mere man.

The way Wrenmae could move and rally hearts with his words was inspirational to Ricky, truly he admired the man's ability and even believed he should be the leader here. Yet Wrenmae believed the task fell on another, one that knew Zeltiva from the day they were born. Though Ricky lacked the confidence in his own ability, clearly he couldn't let down his comrade after what he had just heard. Zeltiva needed a better, stronger Guard to guide it to a better and safer era, and if it fell to Ricky to achieve such an idea then so be it. "I promise." His voice almost shook when he said that, he wasn't entirely sure if it was the weight of responsibility he felt or the soreness of the cold really.

He made his choice however and he would follow through with it nonetheless, and Wrenmae's point in kicking this cold in the ass was one well taken. Ricky actually gave a loose smile with a week chuckle as he tossed the cover aside, unable to refuse the challenge provided before him in order to make something better of himself. Before Ricky picked up his shirt to slip on Wrenmae would be able to see the two scars Ricky bore, the bear claw across his left shoulder and the laceration on his lower right side. After he slipped his long sleeve on the shoes came next, and after a chime passed to get those snuggly on he endured another coughing fit while he went to the small closet to look inside. His old long sword rested within, and it waited to be in his hands once again.

Ricky grabbed the sword by the scabbard it was sheathed in and tied it to his belt, then looked to Wrenmae as he shut the door. He had already began to sweat from the activity and he hadn't even began their spar session yet, but he wasn't going to lay in bed the whole time and wait for this cold to pass. "Ok, so where're we goin' to do this?" He quirked to his companion with the attempt to speak without sounding so congested.
Ricky Maze
"Bottom's up!"

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Sicker Than A Dog

Postby Wrenmae on July 27th, 2013, 5:59 am

There was little chance to react. As Ricky had struggled to arm himself with the sheath of his weapon, Wrenmae had died the sheath of his rapier to the hilt. So as Ricky turned and spoke, he faced a grim faced Wrenmae already bringing his blade down in an overhead swing. Ricky just barely brought his own sheath up to intercept, and the weapons clacked together.

Ricky was weak, the ravages of the sickness had sapped his energy and ached in his muscles. Wrenmae pushed him down , putting a hand along the outside of the sheath to force Ricky to his knees. Struggling, the Waveguard dropped, coughing as he tried to force even breathing.

"Enclosed quarters," Wrenmae said to him with a grimace, "You will have to move faster, realize the dimensions of your weapon, anticipate and strike. I could have chosen anyone Ricky. Marcus, Damien, Ollie, Danthus...all capable swordsmen in their own right, sailors and ready to take command. Do you know why I chose you?"

"No," Ricky answered, forcing the blade up throwing his weight on one leg, pushing himself up against Wren. "Why did ya?" His opponent relinquished the pressure, allowing the Waveguard to his feet. Ricky felt a cough rising in his body and squelched it, trying to keep his breathing calm. He was dizzy, unbalanced, but he wouldn't take his eyes from his opponent.

The left corner of Wren's mouth twitched upward, and he stepped back to a comfortable distance. "You come from common means. You knew the sea from your fishing, but kept your feet solidly on land. You are of the sea and the sand and a Waveguard's domain is both. You are the most common of men among them and that is why you will be the greatest."

Wren thrust out and Ricky batted the blade away, stepping forward and swinging his blade in a diagonal upper right to lower left attack. His opponent leaped and rolled forward, coming up to his feet as Ricky tried to retract the blade for defense. The sickness slowed him and Wren landed a push against his chest, sending the Waveguard sprawling.

Ricky was already getting up as Wren paced back to his previous position. "The greatest stories are often told about those with common backgrounds. They understand the people, and so they can lead them. If you fail, all Waveguards fail...you must believe that you are the only one that can reform and protect Zeltiva, protect those you love...if you think someone else can do it, you never will."

Sig by Shausha

Wrenmae
Taleweaver

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Sicker Than A Dog

Postby Ricky Maze on July 27th, 2013, 9:46 pm

His lungs cried and begged for him allow the coughs to go, but he fought back at them hard as he concentrated on the duel at hand. Never did he imagine something like this to happen, but as the scene unravelled he wasted no thought on the event before him.

Wrenmae's words became echoes in Ricky's mind that led him to question his doubts, he did after all make some impression on this man when they rallied together. That to account for something at least, and with Wren's speech of great stories and common backgrounds filled his ears, Ricky truly began to think that just maybe he could be this leader he'd been named.

Not just Ignotus but Wrenmae believed he could do this. As Ricky regained his lost footing he felt the cold sweat break on his brow already, the final words his comrade spoke rang out through the echoes of his hollowed mind.

You must believe that you are the only one that can reform and protect Zeltiva, protect those you love...if you think someone else can do it, you never will."

"To protect what I love..." Naturally his thoughts went to the one he had lost, his heart still yearned for something he could change. A bargain to make somethinf different if it meant bringing back a dear dear friend. Yet there was no changing history, that was the part written in stone. "It's up to me then." His hand grip tightened on the hilt of his sword, a resolve for a change began to form within him. A change that slowly welled within him until it met with the desire to make a different, from there sparks met with fuel to ignite a small but passionate flame for ambition.

"If anyone can protect this city and lead the Wave Guard, then I'll be the one to do so." He assured both himself and his comrade, eyes on his opponent as he flicked his blade around once. Ricky then rounded his blade up once more from a right low angled cut to an upward left cut toward Wrenmae, his blade would surely meet steel against steel but that wouldn't prevent him from going into another attempt. He would demonstrate his prowess to Wren with unwavering courage.
Ricky Maze
"Bottom's up!"

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Sicker Than A Dog

Postby Wrenmae on August 1st, 2013, 6:38 am

Ricky came forward, but his swing was not at the strength it needed to be. Even so, the rapier was not meant to stop a longsword in combat. The blades locked and Ricky forced Wren's down, pushing the advantage forward. Tearing the blade from the deflected rapier, he brought it up and swung towards Wren's midriff.

But he hesitated, not wanting to cause significant damage to the man.

In the space between the hesitation and the swing, Wrenmae dropped his rapier and punched Ricky in the face. Reeling, the Waveguard grasped the edge of his bed to keep from falling, blood already a salty taste on his lips. Wren had drawn one of his daggers and this time when Ricky swung, Wren had already moved, caught the blade, slid down it with his own blade and delivered a vicious blow to Ricky's abdomen, sending the man to his knees.

Wren kicked the blade from his hand.

"You will face adversity," he said coldly, "You will face challenges you do not think you can overcome. You will face men faster, stronger, better than you in every way...sometimes not even men at all."

"Then how do I beat em?" Ricky asked, looking up at Wren, "How do I beat someone like yerself?"

Sighing, the Waveguard rubbed a hand across his chin and then took a seat from Ricky's desk, pulling it over and sitting before its owner. Ricky was still trying to get his breath back, retrieve his stomach from where Wren had viciously lodged it.

"There will come a time when choices need to be made," Wren told him quietly, "You will see threats before they are threats...you will learn what shape danger takes when it is growing. If you want to avoid dying, worthlessly, strung up like poor Kip was than you need to know how to see danger and strike it before it is fully formed." He put the dagger back on his belt. "You want to know how to beat me? Never let me draw my weapon, strike me down before I can. If you're too slow, if you hesitate, you're dead."

Leaning forward, he grabbed Ricky's chin, craning his neck up to meet the narrowed eyes of the man who had thoroughly beaten him. "A dead man is no use to anyone, Ricky. When you're dead, you're dead. There is no honor, there is no glory, there is no pride. All you have is knowing that whoever you left standing could claim a loved one next and you can't do a damned thing about it."

He let him go, sitting back on the chair, knotting his fingers together. "I was a stupid kid once and let a lot of good folk die. I won't always be in Zeltiva, Ricky, and you need to carry on in my stead. Lead the Waveguard, Ricky, lead and transform them."

Reaching down again, he helped Ricky take his feet and then a seat on the bed. "A lot of folk have their hope riding on you, Ricky. You have the weight of expectation on your shoulder and if you stagger and fall, it won't just be you that drops...but everyone who believed in you." Wren stood up and moved to the door, dragging the chair behind him to its original resting place.

"Remember that...and consider it your most important lesson."

Sig by Shausha

Wrenmae
Taleweaver

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Next