Hey guys.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Feel free to post all your Mizahar related discussions here.

Hey guys.

Postby Enoleus Frostfawn on July 25th, 2013, 6:31 am

So, I've been a tad bit inactive lately, and it's mostly self imposed. I want to choose my words here carefully so they'll come across as intended, but... Well, I mostly need some advice here, and if you choose to respond to this post, I thank you ahead of time for being candid.

I have only been here for a short time, relatively speaking, and I've not indulged in a great many threads yet. Yet, it seems that, with one exception, most of my threading partners seem to just kind of... Wander out from under the thread we are in. Now, I understand people are busy, but there comes a point where I kind of have to acknowledge that people just don't want to thread with me. I'm not pointing fingers here, and I'm not really upset about it.. I mean, I am, but I acknowledge that my character is, unintentionally, but still irrevocably cliche. There's a reason behind that, but it's not a terribly good one so I wont bother with the explanation.

I've started on a new character here on Mizahar, and essentially my question is... Is it my character concept that makes people less than interested in threading with me? Or is it my writing? I don't want to come across as greedy for attention here, but I genuinely am interested in hearing peoples opinions. As I said before, any candid responses would be appreciated....
Vani / Common /Internal Dialogue
Enoleus Frostfawn
Still Running.

Words: 68094
Joined roleplay: June 8th, 2013, 10:51 pm
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Hey guys.

Postby Verilian on July 25th, 2013, 7:21 pm

I've never written with you before (that I know of) but I can tell you that people dropping out of threads is a very common thing. It happens, and you just have to live with it. It's annoying, but don't let it bother you. You can either post a final wrap up (after waiting a while), or just move on and forget the thread ever happened. The choice is yours.
Forecast for tonight... Dark
-----
Wind Reach---Wind Reach Lore---WR Request Thread
Verilian
Retired Staff

Words: 1113582
Joined roleplay: December 23rd, 2010, 9:53 pm
Race: Staff account
Storyteller secrets
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 4
Featured Contributor (1) Trailblazer (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Hey guys.

Postby Enoleus Frostfawn on July 25th, 2013, 7:28 pm

Ah. Well, I suppose it is pertinent for me to mention that this website is my first experience with forum RP.... But, yeah, thanks, Verilian. I'll just try that....
Enoleus Frostfawn
Still Running.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Hey guys.

Postby Kalina on July 25th, 2013, 8:12 pm

Fun fact number one from yours truly today:
It's human nature to feel... paranoid. I like the word paranoid. Not because it looks or sound cool (like discombobulation: what word could be better than that? I absolutely adore saying it, though never have much of an opportunity to throw it into every day conversation... or effervescent: now that's a word I use often...)

But I digress (another cool word), paranoia is something people feel on a daily basis, yet it is not a cliche word like terrified. Everyone is terrified nowadays. It's why I like using frightened... the word is supposed to be less of a superlative, yet it now carries more meaning than the other, because of the first's overuse...

I'm not very good at staying on point today...

When I was younger, it took me a while to work out why my RPs were just abandoned by people. I worried for hours and days after about it, thinking they hated my style, or content, or I'd insulted them OOC. Or, worst of all, someone actually hated me. And then I thought rationally. None of them knew me. (Some do now; they're my best friends) but back then, they didn't know me from Eve. They couldn't hate me: they didn't even know my real name. And I didn't know them. So I had no reason to think they had just abandoned it.

Now.. I admit I'm a culprit to picking and choosing on occasion. I come home from work and some RPs honestly just take more effort than others, if it's more action than emotion, or vice versa... or I'll reply to the one that's been on my mind all day, maybe because it's the most recent, and I read it before I went to work.

It might be that your opposites have another thread where their partner is going away on holiday, and they're trying to plot through that, to come back to yours in a week or so. Or they themselves have gone on holiday or... I could list a million things.

One thing I can say, though, (and this is the important bit) is it's almost sped finitely not the writing. One man's cliche is another's favourite genre. My mother loves murder mysteries. I cant find the time of day for them. Cliches are only cliches because they're everywhere. And...you know what? They're everywhere because once upon a time, a bunch of people read something and decided it was awesome, so everyone read it. How is that bad?

That's... an essay... Which I wrote instead of replying to an RP, ironically :p
In all seriousness, though... I've been in your position. Paranoia isn't a nice companion. And I hope this essay cheers you up :)
Oh.. And I'll RP with you :)
Kalina
Come and play.

Words: 177677
Joined roleplay: June 14th, 2013, 12:38 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Hey guys.

Postby Voryn on July 25th, 2013, 8:23 pm

I have just read your first post in your solo job thread and frankly, I think your writing style is rather enjoyable. Also, clichéd characters (if such things truly exist) do not have to make for clichéd stories. Especially since Mizahar, as far as I'm able to tell from my short time here, strives to set its world apart from most high fantasy standards.

In any case, I would be happy to thread with you as soon as the intervention on my character sheet has been lifted. It would go slow, but I'd certainly finish it.
Vani - Common
Voryn
Sing for the Wolf

Words: 4091
Joined roleplay: July 21st, 2013, 8:47 pm
Character sheet

Hey guys.

Postby Enoleus Frostfawn on August 19th, 2013, 11:06 am

Hey!

I appreciate all the responses guys, I really do. I've aspired to be a writer for some time and I'm extremely critical of my own work... This makes it easy for me to assume other people will dislike it as much as I do! I appreciate all the feedback though, and the advice... And I wouldn't make taking on a few more threading partners!

Cheers, and thanks for being awesome!
Enoleus Frostfawn
Still Running.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Hey guys.

Postby Elysana Demeni on August 27th, 2013, 10:33 pm

Come to Ravok. I'll thread with you.