[eliza's scrapbook] three rules.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The player scrapbooks forum is literally a place for writers to warm-up, brainstorm, keep little scraps of notes, or just post things to encourage themselves and each other. Each player can feel free to create their own thread - one per account - and use them accordingly.

Postby Eliza on August 20th, 2013, 8:39 pm

A note on Ranuri. (i.e., Let’s not just write about sex, ya’ll.)

Ranuri is the gnosis that Nikali grants her followers (which are usually slaves, prostitutes, and companions) that allows them to easily identify and expand upon the needs or desires of those they serve. In exchange, those external needs become their own so that in identifying and providing what others require, the followers of Nikali in return receive the same pleasure they give out. The needs of others can encompass anything, because people and their pleasures are widely diverse. However, Nikali’s followers that are gifted with Ranuri often find themselves terribly addicted to providing for these needs and often have little or no control over the ability to say no. Ranuri is a dark and dangerous gift, one fraught with addiction and the mindless acceptance of other’s needs as ones own.
- Gnosis Article on Ranuri, Mizahar Wiki.

I like sex. I hope you do too. A lot of people like sex and a lot of people enjoy writing about sex. I, personally, enjoy writing about sex as much as I enjoy writing about anything. That is to say it isn’t about sex when I write, it’s about what the sex is or is not doing for my plot.

Not once since I began playing in Mizahar has sex been written into a thread of mine. (I played a kelvic who walked around naked a lot too.) Oh, characters have had sex off scene, and sex has been talked about, flirted around, sexual tension abounds in some places and sex led up close to; but there has yet to be a single involved sex scene in my threads. I haven’t gone out of my way to avoid them, but then I haven’t structured a plot set up around sex or using it as a plot vehicle either. The closest I’ve come was in a scene with Lillis and Caelum way back when Lillis was still an active PC and Lillis’ player thought we should close the curtains, so to speak, and end the thread. She was no prude. She just understood that there was no plot furthering device left to be had in the scene. We had already accomplished what we set out to.

Fast forward and here I am, reactivating Caelum, who has Nikali’s gnosis. I have looked and so far not found another active PC with that gnosis. It puts me into an awkward position due to the unfortunate misconceptions of other players. Not always, but sometimes; and sometimes is often enough, honestly. Therefore, allow me to set the record straight.

Ranuri is not about sex.

One more time with feeling.

Ranuri is not about sex.

To clarify, Ranuri can be about sex depending upon the panorama of needs someone with Ranuri comes into contact with. Or it can be about sex for the course of time in which a person with Ranuri just so happens to have sex with someone. Okay, well, if a Ranuri has sex for any reason then their mark will be active; but that is still a large and distinct difference.

• The Ranuri marked don’t just trip and fall naked on top of everyone they meet.
  • They don’t instantly desire everyone they meet in a sexual manner.
  • They are incredibly generous and awesome lovers.
  • None of the above defines them.
  • UNLESS they are willingly or forcibly surrounded by people whose sexual needs are paramount.

Note that I said sexual needs there, not sexual desires. This is key. This is, in fact, the most important thing for you to understand about Ranuri.

Ranuri is about what individuals, groups, and entire worlds need, not what they necessarily desire. Needs and desires, while typically having a lot of common ground, are not actually the same thing. At all. I can need the iron in spinach for my health, but could really just desire a damn milkshake. I can need better financial planning skills, but only desire to win the lottery. I can need a punch in the goddamned face, but desire a hug. Follow?

Now I want Caelum to run into someone who needs a punch in the face. Heh.

- k.
and I know their choices color all I've done.

- Mumford.
Eliza
I know that time has numbered my days.

Words: 19248
Joined roleplay: June 27th, 2013, 8:18 pm
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Wrenmae on August 20th, 2013, 9:06 pm

I volunteer Wren.

I think he perpetually needs a punch in the face.

Incidentally, I like what you've talked about with the Ranuri gnosis. I don't see it often, and have even rarer seen it used. It helps to get a fresh outlook on the gnosis itself...hopefully giving some other PC's the stones to try it out and see where it takes them.

Nice to see your character back...I rather liked the fellow, even if we've never met IC.

Sig by Shausha

This PC has the Blight gnosis. As such, you as a player need to be aware of what that consists of. Wrenmae has an invisible aura that amplifies sickness and disease. Wounds may become infected, small sneezes may become coughing, and a slight fever may become more serious. A nuit's body will also break down faster in the presence of the Blight. These effects may not be immediate, but within the few days following your encounter, the symptoms will manifest. Some sooner than others. I cannot control your character, so creativity will be left up to you. Best wishes and stay healthy!

Special shoutout to Fallon for my new CS
Wrenmae
Taleweaver

Words: 1276299
Joined roleplay: April 15th, 2011, 6:34 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 9
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Trailblazer (2) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) 2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Caelum on August 21st, 2013, 12:54 am

Thanks, Wren. Now I'm wondering about the intricacies of Blight and Healing plus punching people in the face. ;)
Caelum
The best way out is through.

Words: 1093768
Joined roleplay: March 18th, 2010, 10:27 pm
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Featured Thread (1) Guest Storyteller (1)
Lore Author (1) Peer Reviewer (1)
Trailblazer (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Eliza on August 21st, 2013, 7:19 pm

Give a damn.
Give a lot of damns.
Give more damns than anyone.
and I know their choices color all I've done.

- Mumford.
Eliza
I know that time has numbered my days.

Words: 19248
Joined roleplay: June 27th, 2013, 8:18 pm
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Previous