[Sliver's Scrapbook of DOOM] Sketches, Chickens, and Wonder

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The player scrapbooks forum is literally a place for writers to warm-up, brainstorm, keep little scraps of notes, or just post things to encourage themselves and each other. Each player can feel free to create their own thread - one per account - and use them accordingly.

Postby Traverse on August 6th, 2013, 1:34 am

So I don't know if any of you know of the web mini series 'Bravest Warriors.' It's made by the same dude, or series of people that made Adventure Time, and is pretty hilarious. One of the side characters is catbug and is voiced by this adorable 4 year old kid...and, well...it was time to put something adorable up...

Traverse
Journey to your limits

Words: 1283282
Joined roleplay: December 18th, 2012, 4:16 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 7
Featured Contributor (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Traverse on August 24th, 2013, 2:08 am

The 10th Kingdom

(Why its worth a watch, even if you only ever see it once.)

I can't remember how old I was when my cousins introduced me to this seven hour long little TV mini-series, but I do remember watching the whole thing in one day long sitting and loving every minute of it.

I feel like the 10th Kingdom is one of those cult things that you either mention and someone freaks out and starts quoting it, or you receive a blank stare and a shrug for your efforts. I figured I'd give it an off beat movie review since its a little different from your standard flick.

The very very basic premise is that the main character Virginia and her father live in NY in a small apartment. She works in a restaurant and her father is the janitor/handyman of their building. Everything is boring but alright until a dimensional portal that leads to a fairytale universe opens and a golden retriever that you know is a Prince escapes and fatefully runs into Virginia, thus beginning the strange series of events that is the 10th Kingdom.

Pros:

• Due to the length of this flick, it creates a wonderful tantilizing drawn out story. Shorter than any TV series, but longer than a movie you get this nice delayed feeling after every watch.
  • Sure its the classic tales of all those folks we grew up with since childhood, but there's a quirky spin on all of it. The fantasy universe takes place after the "Golden Age" of all of the famous fantasy ladies, which creates a humorously dark atmosphere.
  • Great characters that keep you laughing, cringing, and engaged in plot.

Cons:

• For me quirkiness is always a plus when it comes to Cinema. I hate things that take themselves too seriously, but sometimes this trait can be just as much of a curse as a blessing.
  • Strangely paced acting...Sometimes you love it sometimes you hate it. This series is also fairly old, so the quality and graphics can be rather appalling at times.
  • Slow plot at times. Some things drag on while other events move by fast. This can sometimes get wound around the strange acting, and can also be related back to the quirkiness.

Anyway, I just wanted to through up another over-do movie thing for you guys. I just re-watched this the other day, and I simply love the whole thing for various reasons, mostly the humor and characters therein. I had been asking around at work and I realized the strange niche this movie/mini-series is in, but I would recommend a watch if you ever get a chance. Its very worthwhile.
Traverse
Journey to your limits

Office
Scrapbook
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Tinnok on August 29th, 2013, 2:20 am

It's the little things that get me, ya know? I discovered tonight that there are 3 PCs whose most active thread is with this PC, mwahaha.

Also, I sincerely apologize to the poor sods who had/will have to grade those. You're the best.

Image Image Image
Tinnok
A Witch of the Wilds

Words: 878542
Joined roleplay: February 3rd, 2013, 5:27 pm
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Medals: 2
Featured Thread (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Gossamer on September 1st, 2013, 6:33 pm

Thinking of you!

BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6356204
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Traverse on September 2nd, 2013, 4:05 am

GossD'awwwwwwwwww
A look at
City of Bones: The Mortal Instrument

So I may have completely flipped that title around in posting this...

So first off I apologize for all the mainstream stuff I've been reviewing. My original purpose behind these was to kinda go back and forth over a whole gamut of genres, new and old flicks, etc.

Alright, so Goss recommended this so that's why I saw it. Just kidding! Actually it pains me to admit that at first when I saw this trailer I was like "Aww heck to the no, I aint seein' this, not even Robert Sheehan emerging from the veil of the Hulu series Misfits and smexy Johnathan Rehys Meyers can make me watch this wannabe crap." But then I saw an alternate trailer (for the life of me I can't remember what happened in it) and I was like..."Alright...this'll prolly suck, but I'll do it."

Now I want to read the series, but that is an ENTIRELY different discussion so before you're like "Okay travy, get to the review will ya" let me lay it down for you.

Graphics: 5/5
Plot: 3/5
Writing: 4/5
Acting 4/5
Soundtrack: 5/5 (This was set up like the Twilight Soundtrack with a lot of variance in artists and styles, so if you liked that you'll like this one)

So I wanted to start this off with the fact that I love movies that don't take themselves too seriously. That is probably my biggest problem with any TV series *coughcough*youknowwhoyouarejjabrahms*coughcough* or flick in general. Yes we get it the world is ending, or some great catastrophe is ripping a hole between dimensions or your toaster is plotting to take over Hitler's legacy. But we've also seen that shtick 500 billion times, so don't pretend like its the most serious thing we've ever seen, please?

I'll call the movie CoB from here on in to save some typing, and CoB does not have such a problem. It gets pretty cheesy at times, like almost cover your eyes and wince cheesy "Eww mom, are they going to kiss now?" but it makes fun of itself too, and saves itself too much eye rolling, which I appreciated.

Alright so I'm losing myself here. For all of those of you that don't know the basic premise of this film is that Clary, who lives in an Apt. in Brooklyn with her single hot mama (Cersei Lannister), starts seeing things that others don't see, namely a murder that no one else seems to notice, committed by goth tattooed folks that only she can see. Thus Clary is brought into the ancient order of Demonslayers, and much chaos, killing, and confusion ensues.

What I really enjoyed about the movie was that there are probably sevenish characters and I felt like the script/filming went out of its way to illustrate each of them a little more than the average flick. For instance, Clary's normal nice guy friend, Simon is dragged along with all the demon slayers, but actually makes the transition into the supernatural much more smoothly at times than Clary herself, instead of being left in the dirt as the suddenly boring normal friend.

Overall there are some great lines, some good tenor throughout the film and a solid though sometimes slightly confusing plot. A lot goes unanswered and unexplained, which I'm sure is laid out in the books, but all the more reason to read them I say.

Also, if this flick is up your alley but you're still on the fence I give you:

The Ultimate Reason :

Cersei Lannister kicking butt and taking names, it happens, its great.

Traverse
Journey to your limits

Office
Scrapbook
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Traverse on September 5th, 2013, 2:05 pm

ImageHey guys!

So I apologize for my sporadic activity over the past few days, we're almost all moved into the new apartment, but currently without internet, so my whole connection to Miz relies on jumping from wi-fi spot to wi-fi spot, which has slowed down my productivity levels substantially (Down to pretty much making sure PMs are in order and checking the HD). Thanks to all the folks in Falyndar who are being so patient with me, and for all the newcomers this season I am so excited to get to know you and see what you're up to in the Fall!

Mura...I haven't forgotten you, I promise!
Traverse
Journey to your limits

Office
Scrapbook
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Caelum on September 6th, 2013, 8:04 pm

I read the Mortal Instruments series among many others in my fever of presently popular YA research. It wasn’t my favorite, not by a long shot, but it did sit above the amassing pile of Crap Papers (Uglies, Bloodlines, to name a pair), though still below the Books That Made It Worthwhile (The Hunger Games, Divergent, anything John Green ever wrote in ever, et cetera. Did I mention John Green? Oh, yeah. JOHN GREEN). I have been considering going to see the movie, wobbling and wavering, undecided; but now I think I will. Thanks for the review. ;)
Caelum
The best way out is through.

Words: 1093768
Joined roleplay: March 18th, 2010, 10:27 pm
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Featured Thread (1) Guest Storyteller (1)
Lore Author (1) Peer Reviewer (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Traverse on September 13th, 2013, 4:18 am

CaelumI agree with you on the whole YA thing. I have been intrigued by quite a few fantasy romance books only to find them just carbon copies of Twilight with Vampires and Werewolves replaced by angels and demons, or shape shifters, stories of "Oooooooooh I can have a boyfriend but its going to take me five books to figure out which one I want and in the end its going to be the first one I ever fell in love with, and I bet you didn't see THAT coming." but I'll give City of Bones and affiliates a shot, nevertheless, and I don't want to freak you out, but I've never read John Green... :D , there's a yet in there though I promise.

So I've been feeling bleh the past week as far as writing inspiration goes, flitting from ST account to PC's and back again, but not really creating anything truly productive. Give me time, I'll get back into the groove of things, and in the mean time, I have been shown this obscenely absurdly wonderful music video....I watched one other music video by the artists and I am absolutely smitten with their over the top sarcasm about the music industry. This one is about how if you take a pop song and give it a good beat it really doesn't matter what you sing about in the song.

Traverse
Journey to your limits

Office
Scrapbook
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Alea Davenport on September 14th, 2013, 3:08 am

I scrapped that video last week, just sayin' ;)
Alea Davenport
Wielder of Obfuscated and Circuitous Logic

Words: 477755
Joined roleplay: October 28th, 2011, 10:54 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 4
Featured Contributor (1) Guest Storyteller (1)
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Traverse on September 14th, 2013, 3:37 am

The more the merrier then!
Traverse
Journey to your limits

Office
Scrapbook
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

PreviousNext