Closed [Mirahil Pass] An Introduction to Arms (Ricky)

Castor meets Ricky for another training session.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

[Mirahil Pass] An Introduction to Arms (Ricky)

Postby Castor Riley on July 3rd, 2013, 1:14 pm

Castor couldn't help feeling a bit anxious about being Ricky's punching bag. Ricky's assertion that he didn't even know his own strength and that he would be trying to avoid hurting him did more to increase than decrease this trepidation. "Yeah, remember that I don't actually know how to defend myself properly yet," he said, a barely perceptible undertone of nervousness in his voice.

He hoped he'd be able to avoid most of Ricky's blows, though he knew that was unlikely. "I'll be trying, believe me" he said to Ricky's final advice before the training began. Castor lifted his hands in the defensive position he'd been taught. He saw that Ricky was also ready for him to prepare himself, and when he'd calmed down a bit, he nodded to his friend to begin.

The first round of fists pretty much all met their marks. Castor made a wide sweep with his left hand to push away Ricky's right fist, leaving himself open for Ricky's left, as it connected to his midsection. The automatic movement to protect the assaulted area left him open again for Ricky's right to come back and get his shoulder. The blows smarted a bit, but Castor could tell Ricky was holding back. In the second set, Ricky mixed it up by going left-right-left instead, with similar results. For the next one, Castor began paying more attention, and reminding himself that the name of the game was 'evasion' rather than blocking. With that in mind he tried to understand where Ricky was aiming. He watched his fists, but that only gave him the smallest amount of time between the beginning of the man's movement and its connecting with its target. He did manage to get a hang for the timing of the punches and their targets, as Ricky was using the same alternating pattern, to keep things easy for Castor, presumably. So when Ricky started sending his right for Castor's shoulder, he sidestepped to the right, to avoid it. When his left came for his midriff, he stepped back out of the Wave Guard's reach.

Hardly had Castor gotten used to this routine though, that Ricky decided to change everything up again, leaving Castor in the same position he was at the beginning. He put his hands up, making a stopping gesture, before wiping his sweating brow. His body was covered in a sheen of sweat from the exercise. "Wait a tick, Ricky... I'm just running around in circles here..." his speech was punctuated by pants. "An opponent won't conveniently use the same attack patterns so that I'll be able to counter him on the fly. How do you predict where an opponent is going to attack?"
Always open for a thread! Feel free to PM me!
Mailbox
Castor Riley
Player

Words: 127927
Joined roleplay: April 23rd, 2013, 11:59 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Ricky Maze on July 6th, 2013, 1:23 am

At first Castor had been simply doing the very thing Ricky expected, attempts to block and figure out the timing between his punches. There was a definite small amount of improvement as his blocks came a bit more frequent then the occasion they first occured, which brought a smile to Ricky's determined expression. Then there it was! Castor began to evade the incoming sweeps of his fists for a moment when Ricky went into his strikes, eyebrows slightly raised as Ricky admired the amount of progress Castor had began to make. He really did have potential to be a protecter, not one like Ricky exactly but definitely a defender all on his own no less. When Castor called for a moment to pause Ricky finally allowed his breathing to go, deep heavy sighs came as his upper body steadily rose and drop with his breathing exercise. Castor had a pretty good question to follow, one that made this next half of the session a bit interesting.

"A good question mate, believe me when I say that gets a bit tricky." He went from his relaxed posture back.into the offensive stance, but the look of determination wasn't on his face any more so Castor knew he was more so demonstrating, rather then getting back into the swing of training so quickly. Both of them were drenched in sweat of course, and even though he squinted as his eyes burned from what drops came from his brow, Ricky still focused on being that guide Castor needed to learn and discover his inner talent. "I was 'bout to do a switch up too, see how ya handled the timing when each combo was different. The best way I figured to learn how to predict their attacks and counter if possible, that'd be best done by keepin' an eye on which arm is bein' used. If ya can see where their arm is headed then that usually helps determine their action. However..." Ricky brought a left fist midway and pulled it back as his right fist went in for a demonstrative blow, the invisible target would've suffed a low midsection blow had a person really been there. He turned back to Castor still breathing deep and heavily, the heat of the day plus the work out caused his body to cool off inside.

"Just like now there're times when yer enemy or opponent may pull a fast one like that, best way to be prepared for those is to try and brace for the blow if its too hard to evade or block. Predictin' yer opponents attacks though is more 'bout observation and timin' though, least from what I know anyway." He admitted with a nod and finally moved to the tree that had his jacket, and took a seat on the ground next to it. "We'll take a break mate, a few chimes to catch our breath and we'll be ready for more practice. I'm hopin' ye'll be more confident in yer abilities before me breaks over." He mused with a chuckle, hands rested on his knees as his breathing finally seemed to calm.
Journal - Plotnotes - Announcement!
Scrapbook - Shop (Closed)- Vlogs
Credit goes to Fallon for allowing me to temper with her codings! :)
Ricky Maze
"Bottom's up!"

Words: 2035002
Joined roleplay: March 30th, 2011, 9:02 pm
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 7
Trailblazer (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) 2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)
2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Castor Riley on August 14th, 2013, 8:20 am

Castor watched attentively as Ricky showed him a quick punch, one too quick to either block or evade, unless you somehow knew it was coming. It certainly made defending against an attacker seem like an even more difficult endeavour than he'd previously thought.

As Ricky suggested a short break, Castor felt an immediate sense of relief; he hadn't even realised how much the training in the hot summer sun had begun to sap his strength. He followed Ricky under the tree's cool shade, plopping himself down on the floor next to him, back leaning against the tree trunk. "You know I'll do my best," he said, smiling good-naturedly at Ricky's encouraging words.

He turned his head upward, lifting his arm and watching the sunlight, filtered through the leaves, pass between his splayed fingers. "Do you think we're going to need them?" He suddenly asked. "I mean, Zeltiva is such a peaceful city. Do you really think we'll need these skills?" Could such an idyllic city's peace be shattered? It didn't seem possible, yet... If history had taught them anything, it could and it would. But it didn't have to be now, did it? It would probably be seasons and seasons before anything like that reared its ugly head in beautiful Zeltiva.
Mailbox
Castor Riley
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Ricky Maze on August 20th, 2013, 10:51 am

It was all the more encouraging to know that Castor really put his all into this, the fact he started to get serious with this training proved Ricky that he was a capable friend. All the same it was a relief to finally have someone Ricky could let his burdens be shared with, it eased much of the pressure he felt when he thought of facing the dangers ahead. He hadn't a clue what to expect or prepare for, so the best he could do was prepare those around him for the incoming storm ahead. As the two settled and rested Ricky found the breeze that wafted through invigorating, even if it were only lightly cooling him down in this heat it was all the more relief for him. That was when the question came, the oone question Ricky could not have expected, but thankfully knew how to give an answer to.

"I wondered that me self once. Zeltiva used t' be a city with pure peace and hardly any trouble, that was before I left t' go on me journey several years back. I come home last year t' find the place has changed, the sense o' peace I once knew immediately gone." He explained with eyes focused on Castor, there was sincerety in his voice as he explained this. "In order to preserve what peace there can be one has t' be willin' t' stand up and fight f'r it mate. Ye can't just wait 'round and hope others will do it, not when ya've the power t' do it yer self." He looked at the ground for a moment, then back to Castor with an idea in mind. "Think o' it like this..."

He stood up to turn to their hanging clothes and looked at Castor, mind focused on the will inside to call out the power he wielded. He could feel his Djed when he really thought about it, after a momentary dive into his mind he felt the energy deep within as he tapped into it's source. "When one stands t' make a difference he generally stands alone." He pointed to Castor's shirt, which resembled being the "stand alone" part. "However if others were t' stand with this one, and they together make a difference..." He placed his left hand over the shirt and focused, pulled his tapped energy from its source and willed for it to take form. A small faint light started to show as it slowly weaved its way over the part of the shirt his hand covered, it stretched and pooled over slowly as he moved his hand from the bottom to the top, until at last what once looked to be a liquidly molded shield finally settled into a solid royal blue sheen of faint light that faded out. "Then nothin' can stop their efforts t' hold peace in the city." He started to pant a bit as he felt himself rather drained like before, only this time he didn't feel as worn out.

He turned back to Castor to see if his example worked, or if his point of the explanation failed to come across or not. He hadn't thought of using magic to explain things, but he figured since Castor kept his secret and creating these shields taxed only so little energy, why not use it this one for a simple explanation as to getting a clearer answer out.
Ricky Maze
"Bottom's up!"

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Castor Riley on September 10th, 2013, 7:37 pm

Castor listened to Ricky seriously as he explained his opinion on the matter. He could see from the severity in Ricky's eyes that he should have known the man's answer from the start; after all he'd already seen the other side of Zeltiva.

When he got up and walked over to their hanging shirts, Castor had been entirely unprepared for what Ricky would do next. As he passed his hand over Castor's shirt, Castor could swear he could see a blue substance of some sort spreading over it. But that couldn't be right, unless... Castor blanched a bit, but Ricky was done using his magic by the time he could say anything about it.

"Ricky... Why did you do that?" He said, fear for his friend overcoming his appreciation for the man's good intentions. "I mean, thank you for all the trust you've shown me by doing this", he said, his voice getting a bit of a gentler tone "and it is certainly a beautiful sight, but this is..." 'magic' he mouthed the word, mindful of any potential prying ears passing through the busy pass. "It's dangerous, and, what's more, personal magic is even moreso. Practically every introductory tome has a warning of overgiving in the first few pages." Castor got up and walked over to his friend, fussing over him. "Are you feeling okay? Experiencing any nausea, or other side effect from the casting? You can never be too careful.." he muttered, placing a hand on the man's sweaty brow.
Mailbox
Castor Riley
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Ricky Maze on September 13th, 2013, 10:17 am

Castor's reaction was all the more expected after Ricky turned to see him, but the magnitude of the reaction wasn't determined so accurately so to speak as he undoubtedly checked to make sure his friend was indeed fine. It gave Ricky a more reassured smirk when he finally had the time to explain it to Castor, as he found the man to be a good friend in his concern. "Ah, he not only feels concern f'r me well bein' but the fact this be a secret thing. Good." He was even more pleased after Castor silenty mouthed the word magic, however Ricky was already quite aware that it was just the two of them. He felt comfortable to show Castor his ability, even more so knowing he was already bound to keep it secret. He pretty much passed the slight test the guard provided for him, with flying colors all about like a true friend should.

"Aye," he finally managed to say after Castor checked his head in concern, "Same as I was just moments ago I promise." He lowered his tone even though they were practically alone, just so that Castor would easily be the one to hear him speak. "That be the shieldin' magic trick I br'ught up the other night. Surprisin'ly I hardly find me self unaffected when I make one over simple things like clothes." He assured Castor with a pat on the shoulder, a look to his shabby handiwork. The shield was an incredibly thin one that only covered the front surface of the shirt and its shimmer dulled to a faint sheen that made it nearly transparent to Ricky. For Castor however he would not be able to see the shield nor would it remain much longer, as little practice as he had Ricky's shields lasted only several days before totally giving out.

"The only effects I feel when I "overdo" or "overgive" so t' speak is a major hunger or thirst and or a headache, but other then that I cannot make any more o' these things when I run out o' Djed." He explained what little he learned with a slight grin to his friend. "Didn't mean t' worry ya mate, but I had t' see how ya handled me usin' magic b'fore ye. I promise it's only a last resort f'r good measure, and that I'm doin' well t' trust only a select few with such a secret." Ricky reassured his best friend once more with a brotherly like shake of Castor's shoulder, he was beginning to respect the librarian more and more each passing day it seems. He gave Castor a moment to let all this sink in, before continuing any farther with their training if they had the time.
Ricky Maze
"Bottom's up!"

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Castor Riley on September 19th, 2013, 8:48 pm

Ricky's assurances that everything was ok did little to actually settle Castor's worries, but he stopped his fussing, not wanting to become annoying. "Yes, those are the visible side-effects, but what are they side-effects of? What is it exactly that causes this to happen? You don't know, few people really do, and I'm not one of them. What I do know is this, however; your djed is directly linked to the very essence of what makes you who you are, and if you keep draining it, I can't imagine that anything good could come of it, even if the outward effects seem so mild." He sighed then, letting some of the worry lines forming between his brows to smooth. "But... I understand that it's a necessary tool. Particularly in your line of work. Though it doesn't seem to be very useful..." He added, giving a peculiar stare at the shirt; the sheen he'd seen before had completely vanished, leaving no trace that anything was different about it. "Did you actually do anything, or were you just giving a small demonstration?" He asked, perplexed.
Mailbox
Castor Riley
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Ricky Maze on September 21st, 2013, 11:14 pm

Castor's concern proved to be a little overwhelming at first but with the explanation to follow Ricky considered his reason for worry all to well, neither of them knew what the long term effects where out of his ability besides the temporarily drained factor. Simply put draining himself of Djed wasn't anything but good when he thought about it, even if he just simply found himself unable to weave these magical barriers after taxing all his reserves. "Aye, he is right a bit. I can't go puttin' t' much o' me self in these magics without first learnin more 'bout them."

His contemplative expression changed to intrigue as his thoughts were cut off, the attitude Castor once had changed as he came to understand the necessity, and as to why Ricky believed he needed it most. Yet his examination of the sheen that dulled to a near transparent opacity caught Ricky's attention, as he remarked upon the usefullness of the shields with a question on what Ricky did. Ricky merely shrugged his shoulders as he responded with a given answer.

"I just used it as a demonstration really, felt like I was in the right zone o' mind I guess. These shields I make are magic so they gotta protect from magic in some aspect, at least that's my guess at what they do... I dun really know what they protect fr'm." He admitted with a finger to scratch at his neck, perplexed as well as Castor as to how these shields really functioned. "I know I 'ave t' focus a bit t' make them, and when I feel exhausted no more can be made. I don't think I can overdo it with these shields either, but alas I'm still skeptic like ye." He finished with a friendly grin, arms crossed as he waited for any further questions. Or the possibility Castor would lecture him further, either way Ricky found it quite amusing.
Ricky Maze
"Bottom's up!"

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Castor Riley on October 2nd, 2013, 9:55 pm

"Hmm, I see" Castor mumbled, still uncertain about the whole thing, but a bit put at ease by Ricky's assurances. By the sound of it, Ricky had already tested the limits of his magical ability, and if all he'd experienced really was just hunger, exhaustion and a headache, he should be thanking his lucky stars. Castor dreaded to think what might have happened if his friend had happened upon one of the more deadly personal magics.

A question popped into his mind then. "Who taught you how to do this?" He asked, curious. He had a faint recollection of asking something similar when they'd been out drinking - when Ricky had actually told him his secret - but chunks of that night were obscured in his memory by the fog of kelp beer he'd let in. It seemed very strange to Castor that a person could go from being a... non-mage? - to having such an ability. Ricky didn't even seem like he was the type to be interested in such things to begin with... but then again, he had told him about being initiated into reimancy. You really could never tell.
Mailbox
Castor Riley
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Ricky Maze on October 10th, 2013, 9:24 pm

Castor seemed relieved finally after much convincing with how Ricky's magic seemed to work, yet he wasn't entirely relaxed just yet otherwise his posture would suggest so. Instead the scholar fell into his curious state Ricky could always expect, and asked just how Ricky happen to come across this ability. It never failed to surprise Ricky how his friend could have such a curiously driven nature towards things, magic specifically of course, yet feel better only knowing about it and not actually using it. Ricky himself feared using his magic of course save for shielding, only because he has yet to truly understand the fundamentals of how both worked.

"The question's more so 'how did I learn this ability' more than anythin' mate, nobody but me love was there when I first started usin' this ability." He looked down to his hands and remembered the glow that came from them, during the first time that he made his first shield over his unborn child. "It happened when I felt a ton o' emotions 'bout things, people I really wanna protect more than anythin in the world really. I had me hand over her lower belly where our child rests, and 'fore I knew me hand glowed with a shield bein' layered over the womb." He explained with a content smile on his face as he looked at the palm, the feelings that day still clear and fresh in his mind as though it were yesterday. "I dunno what it protects from, but I hope I can hone it's uses to keep those that matter t' me safe." He looked back to Castor with his hands back to his waist once more, still content as he waited to hear what the scholar might have to add about it.
Ricky Maze
"Bottom's up!"

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

PreviousNext