My Blug

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The player scrapbooks forum is literally a place for writers to warm-up, brainstorm, keep little scraps of notes, or just post things to encourage themselves and each other. Each player can feel free to create their own thread - one per account - and use them accordingly.

My Blug

Postby Vanari on October 22nd, 2013, 1:40 am

Wow William, thank you so much for that response! I couldn't have said it better myself, all of it is 100%, utterly true. I know it seems cheesy sometimes when people say all you need is love, but that doesn't make it any less valid =P

And please do bother me with your story! Religion is equally fascinating as its followers are sometimes headache inducing, but I'm always happy to know more.

A lonely heart is better than a bored one.

"Your Speech"
"My Speech"
"Vani"
Vanari
Vantha Vagrant

Words: 372424
Joined roleplay: July 29th, 2013, 12:20 am
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet
Scrapbook
Medals: 4
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Overlored (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

My Blug

Postby William Renegade on October 22nd, 2013, 9:31 pm

My story huh? Well shit that’s only the second time someone’s ever asked me that in... ever. Alright why not. Now I guess to understand the end you have to at least know the beginning, the in-between is akin to yours anyway, well at least the early teenage years.

I was four years old when my mom died. What got her? Good ‘ol cancer; The most profitable medical research field that’s never gonna go anywhere... but that’s beside the point. My father: Kinda guy that got raised by good catholic parents, had good friends and met the love of his life at 16. To sum it up the guy had it easy his whole life till that happened. Result: Turned into a workaholic, hellbent on running away from reality for the rest of his days rather than raising his kids. My brother: Spoiled rotten from mommy’s generous income. Take a wild guess as to whom he took out all his rage on. Yup, the easy target. The rest of the world: I won’t sugar coat it, the average Joe has no clue what to say to a little child that’s already been threw more shit then him, easier to avoid the issue altogether. Final result: Four year old kid trying to understand wtf happened to mommy and nobody’s helping.

Course to subject of religion popped up in my mind plenty of times. One and only subject trying to explain death after all, also because of the faith of my grandparents and the frail trembling grip the catholic church still had on the educational system at the time. Problem with a little kid that spends more time thinking than playing is that I got analytical real freakin fast. It was a matter of time before I dumped the whole religion subject into the “bullshit” box. What can I say, kinda hard to believe in Jesus when you got shoved in your face real early that people who die stay dead.

Now we skip to 18 years later, two years ago, since everything in between has nothing to do with the subject. That and I’ll be honest, doesn’t get any better. The subject of religion pops up in the most unexpected form ever; I met a Christian. Guy over time shoved into my thick smart-ass skull that not all religious folks are” sheep” or “hypocrites”. More precisely he taught me three lessons. 1. Never judge anything until you’ve studied it thoroughly. 2. Everything written in the holly books are written in symbolic form, in other words they are allegories that can have countless meanings that can only be perceived by changing one’s point of view. 3. The definition of faith.

Now there are three forms of confidence in the world. There’s unfounded confidence or foolish pride, which is based on nothing. Nothing encourages it and nothing discourages it, to a significant level that is. There’s blind confidence, which remains regardless of overwhelming opposition. Finally there’s true founded confidence, based on facts/knowledge/wisdom/experience. That is the meaning of faith, real faith. The rest is naught but bovine excrement. From that point of view I went on to studying the subject in the most efficient way for my overly logical mind; Science. Damn right I said science. Three specific fields helped particularly; Psychology, physics and astronomy. The first naturally grew from my lifelong hobby and dream of actually working in that field someday but more precisely because of symbolism in relation to point 2 of the previous paragraph. Then there’s physics because of the countless so called “impossible” things I’ve started noticing ever since. Finally astronomy and its fine tuning argument which is strongly defended by a Christian astronomer named Hugh Ross who’s written plenty of books and has lotsa good stuff on youtube.

Holly crap I went on for a while... well regardless it’s still all an ongoing thing for me, there is no end to write yet. In other words not much else to write, unless you want the details that is.

Ps: You should write more unedited text. Words from the heart are much more interesting when unmitigated. Also, anyone who calls love cheesy is someone who obviously doesn’t understand it. I blame Hollywood for that.
William Renegade
Player

Words: 17572
Joined roleplay: September 30th, 2013, 9:48 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet

My Blug

Postby Inari Lorak on October 22nd, 2013, 9:57 pm

Wabam! I thoroughly enjoyed that ^_^ You should totally put it in your own scrapbook as well, it's a perfect subject to poke and prod.

So many people have the misconception about science being a one lane street. I mean just look at quantum physics...so much crazy stuff that, if you were to hear a scientist in that field talk about certain concepts, you'd think they were potentially just as looney as that homeless guy who sleeps in the park and mutters crazy talk to himself all day long. But they're not! They know what they're talking about, and more importantly, when they don't. They're not afraid to admit they're wrong, and to remain open to new, mind-stretching possibilities. Much support and respect for scientists. And for you as well!

This is slightly unrelated, but have you ever heard Tim Minchin's "Storm"? In fact, anyone who hasn't, go check it out now!!

Lies and truths are but cogs in a wheel.
Inari Lorak
Carver by day, miscreant by night.

Words: 73400
Joined roleplay: September 3rd, 2013, 4:47 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

My Blug

Postby William Renegade on October 22nd, 2013, 11:01 pm

Can't say I haven't thought of making my own, especially ever since I've read your first post but then again I've never really been one to talk about myself... oh what the hell, worth a shot.

Now unrelated? Hardly. I think that video really sums up pretty much every science vs religion arguments out there. Those who lean over religion being too naive and those who lean over science being too agressive. He puts it in good humor sure, but the average science nut actually does respond to those kind of arguments as if he'd just witnessed a parent beating the living shit out of their own child. Overkill much? Then there's christians that still claim the earth is only 6000 years old... doubt I need to elaborate on that.
William Renegade
Player

Words: 17572
Joined roleplay: September 30th, 2013, 9:48 pm
Character sheet

My Blug

Postby Wrenmae on October 22nd, 2013, 11:25 pm

I will only say that I paid a visit to the Creation Museum in Kentucky once.

To avoid offending anyone that keeps the faith, I will refrain from recounting that particularly journey.

But I agree with William...it's too easy to fall into the black and white of it all. Moderates allow for the viewpoints of everyone to be heard and respected, perhaps even carefully debated...but the wholesale battle-lines that keep being drawn detract from a society's forward motion.

I prefer the concepts behind collaboration, that we can reach an amiable conclusion for the most of us if we're willing to concede points on either side of the fence.

What is Truth?

A great philosophical conundrum. I think the point is that we're never allowed to know 'everything'...therein lies the spirit of adventure...of discovery. Let some mysteries persist! Seek new Horizons!

Most of us have that terrifying itch called Curiosity that rides us ever onward...but I will say that I doubt any one side has it all completely right, or that one side is completely wrong.

Reality is quite a bit about perception...and as you mentioned earlier, William, Faith.

This was, in the spirit on Inari's Blug, rambling. I don't think I pulled it off quite as well as she did, but I wanted to throw in my two cents before wording all over my own scrap.

Sig by Shausha

This PC has the Blight gnosis. As such, you as a player need to be aware of what that consists of. Wrenmae has an invisible aura that amplifies sickness and disease. Wounds may become infected, small sneezes may become coughing, and a slight fever may become more serious. A nuit's body will also break down faster in the presence of the Blight. These effects may not be immediate, but within the few days following your encounter, the symptoms will manifest. Some sooner than others. I cannot control your character, so creativity will be left up to you. Best wishes and stay healthy!

Special shoutout to Fallon for my new CS
Wrenmae
Taleweaver

Words: 1276299
Joined roleplay: April 15th, 2011, 6:34 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 9
Trailblazer (2) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) 2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

My Blug

Postby Crypt on October 22nd, 2013, 11:42 pm

As a skeptic, I'd just like to point out that we may not actually know anything about reality - if it exists.

And you actually have faith in that reality exists, is perceivable and that your perception of it is accurate enough that what knowledge you obtain corresponds to some fact in reality. More of a realist point of view. Of course, it's supported by empirical evidence (as you mentioned).

If you take a look at what David Hume has to say about causality and correlation, it'll be quite useful.

Then again, if we cannot truly perceive reality, then science becomes pretty much meaningless.

I'm glad that you're taking an open view of this. Far too many people have proclaimed their beliefs and tried to fight for them (key word: tried). And problems crop up. They don't fully understand what they're supporting, they don't even try to be charitable, and in some cases they simply attempt to silence their opponents.

I myself believe in a being of immense power, but its omnipotence and omniscience will be up there for debate.

Perhaps it's too early to start debating which side is better: religion or science.

Done by the one and only Assilsa Curare!

8200th member. :)

NOTE: I will be on holiday from the 9th to the 25th, so don't expect me to post anything! Apologies.
Crypt
Apophenia.

Words: 329416
Joined roleplay: September 20th, 2012, 4:58 am
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

My Blug

Postby Vanari on October 24th, 2013, 12:14 am

Ohhh you guys... :D This has turned out far more interesting that I thought possible.

I agree Crypt, an open mind is the way to go. We argue to win, but we discuss to understand! I would never say science is better than religion or vice versa, because both can lead people to be incredibly short sighted and stubborn. But, as a wise person has recently told me, we should just focus on the positive things :) Science and religion are just two different ways human beings approach the mysteries of life through. They can do far more good respectively, or even together if we're feelin' peace lovin' enough for that, when we focus on what can be done and not on being the only one who's right. Right?

So much in this world, I think, can be solved with simple effort, will, and ingenuity. If a regular old, Indian business man managed to create a way for impoverished, rural women to make their own sanitary pads instead of relying on dirty, cheap rags by tying a sack of pig's blood to his butt and riding around on a bike to test each prototype out on himself in spite of all the cultural derision he faced, then imagine what our world and religious leaders could if they learned some goddamn priorities.

Phew. Alright I'm done.

"Your Speech"
"My Speech"
"Vani"
Vanari
Vantha Vagrant

Character sheet
Scrapbook

Wrennie The Pooh

Postby Vanari on November 1st, 2013, 9:18 pm

A Theme Song for Wrenmae

Deep in the City of Illusions,
Where a Vayt touched little boy played,
You'll find the enchanted neighborhood,
of Wrennie Sek's childhood days.

A familiar named Zan is his friend.
And...that's kind of it, cause he's blighty. It's true!
There's Shroud and Weaver,
And Egyptus, too.
But most of all Wrennie the Pooh!

Wrennie the Pooh, Wrennie the Pooh,
Tubby, little cubby all stuffed with fluff.
He's Wrennie the Pooh, Wrennie the Pooh,
Willy, nilly, blighty old bear.

Wrennie the Pooh, Wrennie the Pooh,
Racist, little ice queen, all diseasy and stuff.
He's Wrennie the Pooh, Wrennie the Pooh.
Willy, nilly, silly old pear.

Willlyyy, niilllyy, bllliiighhttyy ooollld FUTURE GANG LEADER MENAACCEE BEEAAARRRR.

Fun Facts :
This is the super old, classic version from Disney, which I feel is superior. But, a second version can possibly be done for the newer song if I have sufficient motivation :D
Last edited by Vanari on November 1st, 2013, 9:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.

"Your Speech"
"My Speech"
"Vani"
Vanari
Vantha Vagrant

Character sheet
Scrapbook

My Blug

Postby Wrenmae on November 1st, 2013, 9:22 pm

All of my hate.

Sig by Shausha

This PC has the Blight gnosis. As such, you as a player need to be aware of what that consists of. Wrenmae has an invisible aura that amplifies sickness and disease. Wounds may become infected, small sneezes may become coughing, and a slight fever may become more serious. A nuit's body will also break down faster in the presence of the Blight. These effects may not be immediate, but within the few days following your encounter, the symptoms will manifest. Some sooner than others. I cannot control your character, so creativity will be left up to you. Best wishes and stay healthy!

Special shoutout to Fallon for my new CS
Wrenmae
Taleweaver

Words: 1276299
Joined roleplay: April 15th, 2011, 6:34 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 9
Trailblazer (2) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) 2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

My Blug

Postby Vanari on November 1st, 2013, 9:25 pm

AHAHAHAHAHHAHA ^

"Your Speech"
"My Speech"
"Vani"
Vanari
Vantha Vagrant

Character sheet
Scrapbook

PreviousNext