Completed [Sunset Falls] The Harlot and a Crown

Magical minds collide at the base of a beautiful waterfall.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Stretching northward along the coastline of the Suvan Sea, the Cobalt Mountains are the home of the Bronze Wood, numerous ruins, and creatures both strange and fantastical.

[Sunset Falls] The Harlot and a Crown

Postby Matthew on January 2nd, 2014, 9:02 pm

Matthew nodded, eyes flickering between far-off and in the present. He had been approached with the idea that his choice of profession was strange, and he had been approached by it quite a few times. He hadn't yet been called 'withdrawn' though. Or had he? Withdrawn could be one of many things, and he had been called a few of those things before. Quiet, strange, sullen, apathetic, and so on. "Do you think being withdrawn would harm business any?" The question was suddenly phrased, Matthew's eyes focusing on Aoren as he asked the man his personal opinion.

When the discussion turned to Glyphing, Matthew's face permanently focused on the present, wanting to make sure that he could intelligently contribute to the conversation. "I haven't really tried either. I have studied and understood the concept, but as for practical application, I haven't actually gotten that far. I should try, at some point. There isn't really anything holding me back, except for a mild concern of personal well-being. If I combine Shielding and Glyphing though, hopefully there isn't that much that could go wrong." He had been so busy with his prostitution that he hadn't really put much thought into Glyphing. When the Nuit had been here to practice Alchemy with him, he had been much more proactive in furthering his knowledge of World Magics. Perhaps he was the sort that just needed a study partner. Perhaps if he ended up being in Syliras for the long haul, he could discuss the idea a bit more with Aoren.

The Lily of Avalis was brought up, and Matthew gave a slow shake of head. "I have heard of the Lady, but I am not familiar with her mark, nor much of her cause. What an interesting ability though." He wasn't sure if he was surprised by the implications of the Goddess-gifted power. He had come across many such marks in his time. He felt oddly defensive when in the presence of them, but only because of the power that came along with them. He liked a certain sense of privacy, and a lot of these powers could completely intrude upon that privacy. He had nothing to hide, but if he ever did, would such marks make it impossible? After all, if someone could look upon his past as easily as Aoren had said he could, then it would be easy to lay Matthew's life story bare. How very interesting. When Aoren switched subjects, Matthew didn't complain. As much as he tried to swallow it, he couldn't help but feel a swirl of discomfort in his stomach when staring upon the mark of Avalis.

"I actually don't have a particular ambition. I enjoy learning about it, but I am not so sure if it something I wish to eventually master, per say. I currently have my interests focused on prostitution, along with wanting a general understanding of many other arts out there. I suppose once I have fulfilled my curiosities with prostitution, then I can move on to something else. Perhaps it will be World Magic." He tilted his head at Aoren, giving him a polite smile. "And what about yourself, if it isn't too much to ask? Any grand plans for the future? Also, would you like to practice some Shielding?" The last request was sudden, but the harlot didn't seem to notice. He wanted to learn more, and who better to learn it from than someone who seemed to know more than he did?

Matthew
Malfunctioning

Words: 1100152
Joined roleplay: June 24th, 2013, 9:37 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Guest Storyteller (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1)

Postby Aoren on March 6th, 2014, 12:14 am

I think that being withdrawn offers one the opportunity to see sexual acts from a different perspective.” Aoren shrugged his shoulders. He ran a hand through his hair before offering up more of an elaborate explanation. “Consider this, someone who loses themselves completely in the moment might not be aware of the fact that their partner may not be enjoying what they are doing. A person who is able to observe or understand the circumstance objectively might be able to take note all of the nuances of a person’s reaction more keenly. As I see it, there are a choice few people who walk into the arms of a—“ He paused giving the harlot a sidelong glance. “—an entertainer to form an intimate connection.

Aoren did not miss Matthew’s discomfort once he explained the gift Avalis had bestowed upon him. It was not an uncommon reaction. No one liked the idea of being unable to shield themselves from prying eyes. Fortunately for the vast majority of Syliras, Aoren had no desires to peer whimsically into the lives of all those around him. He had been approached on occasion by those with knowledge of what his gift meant. He recalled a knight who once suffered a severe blow to the head and couldn’t recall some of his childhood. Aoren had helped the man by studying his past and relaying what he’d seen in order for him to gain some peace.

The young man had also once helped settle a dispute between two friends by seeing the way a fight had taken place from both perspectives. Hardly acts worthy of legends, poems or litanies but Aoren had given peace to the lives of those whom he had helped. That was all he could do and quite frankly, all he wanted to do.

Grand plans?” The Drykas man chuckled softly. “I suppose that would depend on your definition of “grand”.” Aoren stepped over a hole in the dirt path. He bowed his head as he pondered how he would answer the other man’s question. He was silent for but a few ticks before raising his head speaking conversationally.

Picture a proud warrior amidst a great conflict. What makes that warrior strong? Is he strong because he can kill his opponent? Or is he strong because he is skilled enough not to?” Aoren dodged a low hanging branch to avoid getting a mouth full of leaves. “On the other side of the coin, what makes a wise man wise? Is it because he knows everything or is it because that of all the sages, he alone admits he knows nothing?” He allowed a few moments before continuing as his words sunk in.

Questions that, I believe, have no solid answer. When you ask me what my ambitions are, what are my hopes, my dreams or my goals I cannot give you a straightforward answer. So I will answer with this…” He brought his hands up behind him lacing the fingers behind his head adopting a leisurely pose.

I want what most want. To live a life that I will remember with pride and fondness when my bones have become brittle and my youth has long since abandoned me. Do I want that life to be perfect? No. I do not. Why? Well, where is the fun in perfection?” He gave Matthew a sly smirk and a shrug of his shoulders. At the notion of practicing some magic the young man quirked his head before nodding.

I’d be happy to. It’s always interesting to see how other people go about practicing their magic.

NoteI think I'm too long-winded for my own good. Made the speaking text bold so that it's easier to follow. Also, shout out to Socrates! I quoted him. Do you know where? Mwahaha!
Aoren
Of things long forgotten...

Words: 1240868
Joined roleplay: August 27th, 2012, 4:26 am
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)
Guest Storyteller (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Matthew on March 14th, 2014, 6:35 pm

Matthew puzzled over the philosophy that Aoren presented him with. There were two sides to it, in his mind. There was the answer that the man was strong because of his physical strength, but that probably wasn't the answer that Aoren's theorectical question was asking for. Philosophy and the such was rarely so very black and white, at least in Matthew's experience. His thinking had slowed his pace enough that he lagged a step or two behind Aoren, which actually came in handy. Matthew was the type to run right into the low-hanging branch if he wasn't paying attention, and it was only Aoren's movements that made him notice he had to avoid such natural dangers. He continued to ponder over the questions, but he was thinking that they weren't questions that were supposed to be answered. They were instead questions that helped explain an answer.

But then the topic moved to magic, and Matthew's mind shifted gears. He gave a short nod, pausing, glancing around. Motioning for Aoren to follow, he led the two of them to a nearby thicket of trees, walking until he found something of a clearing. The thicket would shield them from any eyes that wandered along the path. They were already alone it seemed, but it was just a safety precaution. While he did not think they would really be in trouble, he also was fairly sure that any watching eyes would just complicate matters.

"When I studied magic, I mostly studied World Magic. It gives you very real things to work with. However, Shielding was a bit harder for me to understand. The idea of materializing Djed on a material plane... it was a bit hard to work my head around. In the end, I could not figure out how to transmute it into a material that appeared in my hands. I am not good at moving the Djed to my hands, for some reason. However, I do have some experience with Auristics. When I use Auristics, I move Djed to my eyes." Matthew lifted his hands, cupping them beneath his face, blue eyes blinking rapidly. "So, to form the material that I would need in order to make a shield... I breath the Djed to my eyes... and then I breath it out." He focused, eyes growing distant, mind retreating within itself. He sucked Djed as he breathed, swirling it from his stomach to his lungs, drawing it up along with his breath. It rose in his throat and then dispersed through his mind, a pleasant warming sensation that fizzed and buzzed. He instinctively moved it toward his eyes, burning a bit of the Djed to invoke his Auristics. Very faint colors and smells appeared around him, but he didn't focus on it for too long. Instead of stopping the flow and burning it to fuel his Auristics, he pushed it even further.

Djed fell from his eyes like tears, perhaps impossible to see to the naked eye, perhaps silver and shimmering. He had never really used such a magic in front of someone else. He had no idea how it looked. But for now he had managed to manifest a small amount of pliable Djed that he could work with, that he could use to Shield something. He held it in his cupped hands, turning to Aoren, his tone distant. "I don't think my method is very practical, but it is the best I have been able to do with the limited knowledge I have."

Matthew
Malfunctioning

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
One Million Words! (1)

Postby Aoren on March 26th, 2014, 1:10 am

Aoren listened as Matthew spoke of his experience with the World Magics. He wasn’t very learned in them but he was familiar with a few that existed. He was a practitioner of Glyphing but in his time in Syliras he had heard of Alchemy and Magecraft but he had never witnessed them being practiced. As the other man explained the difficulty he had manipulating his Djed through parts of his body other than his eyes. Before Aoren could offer an explanation to help the other man was expelling ethereal silver tears that shimmered in the sunlight.

I would have to agree that the method is a little impractical. It makes sense though. I don't know much about Auristics but I imagine that it's very specific to the eyes. That would explain why it's easiest for you to work with Djed in that way.” Being a reimancer, Aoren had little difficulty expelling Djed in the form of Res from various parts of his body. He had pulled the Djed from his hands, from his legs, from his lungs and other limbs or organs throughout his time exploring the volatile sorcery. He pondered for a moment on how he might help Matthew gain a bit more solid mastery over the disciplines at his disposal.

He was hesitant however. Showing someone that he was an actual practitioner of magic was one thing but helping them to develop their techniques by imparting knowledge of his own was something entirely different. Aoren was seldom one to just gift his knowledge for any reason for fear that it might be abused. Looking at Matthew though he couldn’t see the man using his help to pursue nefarious interests.

It has been my experience that the simplest way to get a handle on how to manipulate Djed in the body is to familiarize it with something resembling the magic you are attempting to use. It is then just a matter of practice and meditation to get it to flow from the source in your body to the point you are attempting to expel it from.” Aoren held up a hand by way of explanation. There was no large intake of breath nor an apparent outward shift in his bearing. “Take a Shield for example. Its purpose is to protect, to defend, to stand strong against other forms of Djed. Well, envision what part of your body that most closely resembles those qualities. For me that would be my bones.

Aoren concentrated on the structure of his bones. They were, after all, the part of his body that kept him standing tall. Without them he couldn’t very well be standing in that clearing. He would not have been able to move his hands nor would he have been able to make the simplest of gestures. They were sturdy, the very definition of his “backbone” and he likened this concept to a Shield. Quietly Aoren drew the connections to the structure of bones and the magic of a Shield. As he formed those relations in his head he dropped the walls in his mind that disconnected him from the feel of his own Djed. The result was almost immediate. He could feel the strength of his bones. Aoren focused on the bones in his forearm in his right arm. He drew upon that strength probing the Djed of his body and demanding that it flow outward.

To help in this mental coaxing of his magic he took his left hand placing his middle and index fingers on his right forearm. Aoren proceeded to lightly run those two fingers down the length of his now upturned forearm visually aiding himself in commanding the Djed in the bones of his forearm to flow to his hand. As he felt the Djed build up in the palm of his hand still buried beneath the surface of his skin, Aoren placed the tips of the fingers in his left hand in his right palm. Gently he made a pulling motion by bringing his fingers together and drawing away from his hand. As he did this azure threads of ethereal Djed began flowing out of the palm of his hand. Aoren felt a dull ache in the bones of his right forearm but it would go away after a time. Such was the price of personal magic. So long as he didn’t overexert himself his body would replace what he had expelled from it.

The Djed that would soon be repurposed into a Shield flowed together in a loose ball in Aoren’s left hand. The Drykas man held it outward showing what he had accomplished to Matthew.

It took a lot of meditating for me to get proficient at working with Djed in this manner. Once I grasped the concept that Djed was something that flowed continuously throughout all of my being though it became easier in getting it to manifest out of various places.” Aoren shrugged his shoulders. “Hand gestures and sometimes vocalizing my intentions helped me get there. Maybe you should try it?
Aoren

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Matthew on April 28th, 2014, 8:23 pm

Matthew was certainly a good listener. When it came to learning something new, there was a noticeable change in the way he looked at Aoren. There was a narrowing of his eyes, though not a devious one. A closer look would reveal that there was a hidden gleam behind that passive and polite stare of his, a gleam that was generated by the turning and grinding of various gears. There was so very much thought going on behind his stare that it was almost completely obvious to someone who was trying to look for it. His mind was on fire, processingmemorizingapplyinglearningthinkinganalyzing. In an otherwise dull stare, it was an amazing outburst of pure life. It was unfiltered human curiousity being fulfilled.

When it came to magic, Matthew revealed his arts with a certain logic. Some of them he wasn't shy about admitting he knew, not to the right people. If magic was allowed to be practiced, then he would be open about his limited knowledge on the worldly disciplines. It was only his personal magics that he held a little closer to his heart. Those seemed to be the dangerous ones, the ones that drove wizards mad. Of course world magic had the potential, but because of a logical mistake in calculations. To Matthew, those were much more easy to prepare for than simple weaknesses of the heart and soul.

He definitely needed to work on his meditation, that much was obvious. Aoren was serene and easy with his magic, if he was indeed even casting any of it. Matthew needed to focus, to find that serene center where he could cast magic without too much thought. Sometimes he thought that was his weakness, the way he overthought things.

His thoughts snapped back to Aoren as the man started to move his fingertips over himself. Matthew's brow furrowed and he focused on it, immediately noticing that Aoren was tracing out the bones he had spoke of. Matthew's mind, previously that of a medical student, immediately started going through all the different names of the bones that Aoren was touching. He pushed the thoughts away though, working to keep himself focused on the exact thing that was being shown in this very moment. The Harlot soon blinked as the Djed fled out of Aoren's hand, pulled almost physically out. He stared at it a moment and then silently focused within himself, trying to meditate on the spot. He centered, he tried to push out thoughts, he tried to form a black empty hole in his mind where nothing existed. From that hole perhaps he could start to spin a more professional sort of magic.

The whispers of his mind soon crowded out the void. Interestingly enough, this was one of the first times where he realized that his quickly-moving mind was almost a handicap. He couldn't get it to be quiet long enough to truly focus in the way that most people seemed to be able to do. Staring still at Aoren's hand and the floating ball, he absentmindedly bit his lower lip and tilted his head. "Before I do try, perhaps I should ask you about something even more basic. You said that it required you to meditate a lot. How do you meditate? Is there a technique that you know, or is it something personalized for just you?" He looked up quizzically, paused a moment, then spoke in a slower tone as if struggling for the exact words. "I appreciate you taking the time to explain this to me."

Matthew
Malfunctioning

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
One Million Words! (1)

Postby Aoren on May 13th, 2014, 6:15 am

He watched as Matthew tried to process exactly what was going on in front of him. It was obvious from his intense gaze and quizzical expression that he was studying Aoren’s actions quite carefully. That was the impression Aoren got as to how this man approach a lot of the things he did. When Matthew posed the question of how to meditate the Drykas closed his fist watching as the Djed for his Shield collapsed upon itself. He folded his arms over his chest rocking back and forth on the balls of his feet. He pondered how to approach the matter of meditation. It took him a moment to consider how to put to words what he was thinking in his head.

When I was first beginning to understand how to meditate, what it meant to clear my mind of distractions, I did that by not trying to clear my head of distractions at all.” That probably made little to no sense. He held up a hand so that he could further explain. “I focused on something. I focused on just that one thing. It didn’t matter what it was. I concentrated on that one thing and every aspect of that until I could tune out everything else.

Aoren lowered himself into a seated position on the ground. He sat crossed-legged with a straight back and his head held even so that with each breath he was drawing in a bit more air than before. He rest his hands upon his knees closing his eyes taking in the surrounding area then opened them searching for something to focus on. His eyes settled on the trunk of a tree. That would do.

Take that tree for example.” Aoren nodded to a tree standing just over Matthew’s shoulder. “I’m not going to focus on the whole tree. I’m not even going to focus on a single spot on the tree trunk. I’m going to focus on the trunk and gradually work my way from there. I start by measuring my breathing.

He took an even breath inhaling through his nose then exhaling through his mouth steadily. He repeated this a few times forcing himself to ease the tension in his shoulders. He did his best not to shift or fidget because the key was to remain still and calm. Already though he could feel a discomfort in his lower back from sitting in such an upright position.

I don’t try to go blank. I just fill my head with thoughts centered completely around what I am focusing on.” He blinked resting his gaze on the trunk of the tree around mid-level. He studied the grain of the wood. He followed the swirl of the bark’s pattern.

I follow the pattern of the bark in my mind. I imagine what the wood would feel like beneath my fingers. Is it rough or is it smooth? I trace the notches in the wood. I study every minute detail of that one particular thing until all of my thoughts are focused on just the tree trunk.” Aoren took another steady breath. He focused on the grain of the wood and followed the ridges in the bark with his eyes.

Once my mind is completely focused on this one object, with thoughts centered around things related just to that object as I see it, it becomes easier to quiet things.” Little by little Aoren worked on pushing aside the stray thoughts that wandered into his mind. They were still thoughts centered on the tree trunk and what he saw immediately in front of him but were still distractions. He worked on focusing on just the area he was staring at, a particular swirl in the bark until his mind was largely quiet. After a moment, Aoren broke his concentration to blink a few times then stared at Matthew.

Now you try.” He gestured to the ground next to him motioning for Matthew to take a seat.
Aoren

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Matthew on May 15th, 2014, 5:23 pm

When Aoren assumed that his first statement made little sense, he was completely correct. It made absolutely no sense at all. Matthew held his tongue though, merely watching and waiting for it to develop into something more. He had no doubt that Aoren would notice the fault in his logic and move to correct it. That soon came, Matthew slowly nodding to himself as he soaked in what was being said. Put that way, it did make sense. That would certainly be a bit easier than trying to completely and utterly clear his mind. Aoren lowered himself and Matthew instinctively followed, glancing down and suddenly realizing that he still had manifested Djed in his cupped palms. He hesitated but then continued to hold onto it, assuming he would eventually put it to good use.

The Harlot watched and listened as Aoren gave him an example, stare intense as he commited everything to memory as best as he could. He scribed words into the books that his mind held, a method he used to make sure his memory stayed sharp. When the time came, Matthew slowly nodded and sat himself down to give it a try.

He mirrored Aoren's position near perfectly, blue eyes scanning every single little detail. His hands were on his knees, his back was straight, his head held high. He also began to measure his breathing, quietly remembering each of Aoren's words and applying them as he could. He slowly breathed in and breathed out, slowly preparing himself to focus on something. What should that something be? Aoren was using a tree as an example, so why not the tree? He focused on the trunk, briefly studying the tree and then closing his eyes. He repainted it, a slightly different method than what Aoren was using. He reconstructed the tree, first rebuilding the sight of it, then adding the texture of it. He applied the notches and the crevices to the picture in his mind, his memory serving him well. Everything else fled from his mind but the tree, leaving him in an intense state of focus. Eventually the tree was done, but Matthew continued to hold onto it. It was the only thing, leaving a sort of silence throughout his body.

Continuing to float inside of the peace, he slowly started to allow something else to trickle into the silence. He controlled the flow of information into his brain, a far cry from the normal torrent of thoughts and words that he usually swam in. He called upon his limited knowledge in Shielding, and he slowly began to weave. The tree was replaced by another image, by an idea of what he wanted to task the shield with. He painted his hands with the djed, taking care to try and get the layer of djed as even and smooth as possible. He merely coated himself from the wrists up and then let out a breath as he finished.

Opening his eyes, he glanced up at Aoren and gave a slow nod. "That was extremely helpful. Thank you very much. Are you sure there is not some way that I can repay you?"

Matthew
Malfunctioning

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
One Million Words! (1)

Postby Aoren on May 15th, 2014, 7:05 pm

Aoren watched Matthew take up his meditative post carefully. The other man was very observant. His attentive demeanor was written all over his face. He observed how he mimicked Aoren’s position with a few variations in his sitting. In the silence that followed Aoren was content to just watch this event unfold. Meditation was something that required focus and quiet when first attempting.

The Drykas could recall how many times he had been horribly distracted as well as how many times his thoughts had drifted from one thing to the other in the span of seconds. It had taken him a few seasons to get a handle on how to clear his mind by not clearing it. He was however, getting better at emptying his mind of conscious thought. It still didn’t come easy but he managed to do it a bit more quickly than before.

Things came to a head when he saw Matthew open his eyes and set to work manipulating the Djed in his hands. Calmly Aoren watched the harlot set about constructing a Shield over his hands. He wondered briefly how the other man went about constructing it in his mind. Nevertheless he seemed to have less difficulty with it than before which made Aoren nod with a smile.

Glad to see you had less difficulty that time.” Aoren considered Matthew’s words. He ran his hands through his hair thinking for a minute. Was there anything a prostitute could offer him? That thought made him laugh but he shook his head. No, Aoren would turn any offer of that sort of service down. Then it struck him. He was finding encountering mages to be a more frequent thing than he’d first imagined was possible in Syliras. Over the past few years alone he’d met several and some of them including a very bitter reimancer, a nuit, a Fluxist, a pyromaniac and a very hypnotic Ravokian. It was that thought that made him consider what Matthew was offering a bit more carefully.

You said you have some knowledge of Auristics? I have been thinking about exploring that magic. I recently had a run in with a Hypnotist. We’re on uneven ground to put things politely. I had considered learning the Discipline as a way to help myself become more aware of other magics or if you know of a way to protect myself against Hypnotism a little insight would be appreciated.” He shrugged his shoulders. Aoren really didn’t expect anything in return. He appreciated the chance to learn something new and in a very real way, he had. He had gained a little more insight in the how to go about constructing a Shield by helping Matthew.

He was concerned however. He had met several gifted mages in recent times and as wizards were often prompted to do, he sought a way to protect himself from the machinations of others. Whether they were a real threat or not didn’t matter, to Aoren it was simply best to be prepared.

NoteTotally up to you what happens here, Matt. You could teach Aoren Auristics to help him detect other magic or you could reveal that Matthew is a Hypnotist himself and perhaps teach him that if you're so inclined. Other Hypnotists are protected against other Hypnotists after all (given skill of course). Or you can teach him nothing. I am content with any of these outcomes. It just so happened that things worked out that I could slip that request in there. :D
Aoren

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Matthew on May 21st, 2014, 9:59 pm

Matthew peered up at Aoren, considering the options. He was knowledgeable of Hypnotism but reluctant to ever show that. The more that knew, the less effective it was. He wasn't actually the sort to use it for any sly or manipulative means, but he was the sort to plan ahead. If he was ever forced to use it in such a way, he wanted to be sure that his attempts would be as successful as possible. The less that knew of his talents the better. He sunk his teeth into his lower lip, pondering further, not wanting to completely decline the offer. He was more than willing to explore Auristics with Aoren, but perhaps there was some sort of insight he could offer when it came to Hypnotism? Outside of himself, he had experience with others. He had met them and heard of their skills and he had also done his own research. When he finally spoke it was slow and thoughtful, each word carefully pronounced as he puzzled through his thoughts. "I feel that protection against Hypnotism is a mute point, outside of perhaps a Magecrafted item or Malediction. One cannot hope to study every Aura they come across out of fear that a Hypnotist will show his hand. And really, from what I have learned from my studies, such people are naturally master manipulators. It seems that a truly skilled user of the magic would take the appropriate steps to ensure that you never knew what they were doing."

He offered a shrug of his shoulders, hoping this might clear some things up in Aoren's mind. He had once been in the same situation, worried about actions that were not truly his own. What could he do about it though, in the end? If it happened, it happened. Best not to let his own fear cripple him and distract him from his goals.

"When it comes to Auristics however, I can offer more than just words. You say that you have thought of exploring it. Does this mean you have no skill, or do you have some skill? Do you have an understanding of the concept, or just a general idea of what Auristics can do?" He wanted the judge the skill of the man first before throwing concepts and ideas at him.

The Harlot slowly stood, taking a moment to mentally check the reserves of djed in his body. Assured that he was not close to crossing a dangerous threshold, Matthew slowly reached within himself and once more began to breath the djed throughout his body. If he was to teach Auristics, it would likely be best to put the art to use while trying to describe it.

Matthew
Malfunctioning

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
One Million Words! (1)

Postby Aoren on May 22nd, 2014, 9:38 pm

I have no skill with Auristics. I have spoken with only one other mage who practices it but I never got the opportunity to see if he could teach me. I am not exactly familiar with how it works but I understand what it can do. With it a mage is capable of peering into the aura of those around him.” Beyond that Aoren truly had no idea what the specifics of the magic were capable of. He imagined that an Aura possessed information similar to what he saw when he used the powers of Divination. He couldn’t be exactly certain but that was his grasp on it.

In truth , Aoren education in the subject of magic was sorely lacking. There was so much he didn’t understand nor was capable of. That gap in his knowledge was becoming more prevalent as time passed. While he was a gifted and powerful reimancer he went mostly on instinct in regards to how he used the magic. The same could be said for his use of Shielding. He lacked a true understanding of the broader subjects governing Djed itself. This was born out of his rudimentary and ramshackle education in general. He didn’t begrudge his mentor for the knowledge he was given but as he grew both as a wizard and as a person he was beginning to realize that it wasn’t enough.

I suppose the first question to ask would be: what is an Aura? What does it do? What can you learn from it?” Aoren had a fundamental idea of what an Aura was. He likened it to being the manifestation of a person’s spirit and through Auristics one could observe the deeper meaning behind a person’s motives. He had also spoken to the Magesmith, Eanos, once and the Isur had made mention that Auristics could be used for the investigation of magical properties. As Magecraft was a branch of World Magic that interested Aoren he felt that if he ever decided to pursue the magic he would first need to be skilled enough to see the consequences of it firsthand.

He watched Matthew stand choosing to stand with him. Though he wasn’t entirely certain what the harlot was doing he assumed it had something to do with the teaching of Auristics. When Matthew opened his eyes up to the realms of Djed Aoren’s aura would be plain to see. It would be a royal blue teeming with the subtle nuances of his emotions though for the moment the most obvious ones would be curiosity, calmness and a willingness to learn. The evidence of being touched by a deity would shine visibly on the back of his right hand. For the most part, Aoren’s aura was the size of what one would expect a human’s to be though it extended slightly further than normal due to his experience in magical arts.

NoteJust a few things for Matthew to infer. If there is something you believe stands out in terms of Aoren as a character that might be reflected in his Aura, I give you free reign to just incorporate it into your posts.
Aoren

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

PreviousNext