Location [Syliras Location] Wildwood Music

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

[Syliras Location] Wildwood Music

Postby Gossamer on September 7th, 2009, 6:48 am

It isn't often that a singular store has two locations. But Wildwood Music is one of these rare exceptions. Sina, its owner, has a rather expansive workshop on the third tier in the residential district of Stormhold. However, rather than take up space in a shop on the fourth tier or in the bazaar, she instead enjoys loading up what has become a modified wheel-barrow with a length of cloth and her instruments that are available for sale - and then she moves down into one of the outdoor bazaar sections on the ground floor and spreads a blanket. There she can do two things. She busks for coin - playing her own instruments and demonstrating their range. Secondly, she has something of a shop set up, laying out some of the finer examples of her work. Sina makes all the instruments herself. When she grows tired of playing (or singing) which is rare, she will instead break out her paints or stains and work on customizing the musical instruments with rather artistic embellishments. Sina always makes time for a conversation or to play a few songs with a fellow musician. She has also been known to make custom instruments or do repairs if they are needed.

Probably one of the best known musicians and storytellers in Syliras, there are very few people Sina doesn't know... or know about. She is a great source of information.

Price List and NPCs

Price List
Music Instruments

Bagpipes - 15 Gm
Bamboo pipe - 1 Gm
Bells (set of three) - 1 Gm
Bongos - 3 Gm
Chimes - 6 Gm
Clarinet/Oboe - 7 Gm
Cornett - 30 Gm
Cymbals - 4 Gm
Drum, Buckle - 2 Gm
Drum, Goblet - 9 Gm
Drum, Kettle - 10 Gm
Drums, Tomtom - 6 Gm
Drum, Tabor - 4 Gm
Drum, War - 10 GM
Dulcimers - 40 Gm
Fiddle - 50 GM
Flute, Wooden - 5 Sm
Flute, Metal -15 Gm
Gamba - 45 Gm
Gea'tar - 80 Gm
Gittern - 8 Gm
Gong - 100 Gm
Gourds - 4 Sm
Harp - 50 Gm
Harpsicord - 100 Gm
Koto - 8 Gm
Mandoline/Lute - 50 Gm
Lyra - 45 Gm
Panpipes - 2 Gm
Tin Whistle - 6 Sm
Rattle - 6 Sm
Sitar - 35 Gm
Tambourine - 5 Gm
Tibia - 5 Gm
Triangle 1 Gm
Viola - 55 Gm
Xylophone - 40 Gm

Other instruments available via special order.

Sina Kokais
ImageName: Sina Kokais
Race: Human
DoB:
PoB: Syliras
Title: Shop Owner
Skills: Instrument Making: 91 pts, Guitar: 75 pts, Singing: 54 pts, Flute: 35 pts
Gnosis: Rhaus - 3
Additional Info: Sina was named after the goddess Syna because she was born with a smile on her face that was as bright as the sun. Sina never stopped smiling, in fact. Coming from a long line of musicians and carpenters, it was only natural for the girl to begin making instruments at an early age. Starting in her father's carpentry shop, Sina is mostly self-taught at her trade - learning to make instruments from those she's picked up in her travels through Mizahar. Sina, at age twenty, moved into her very own shop and sells instruments two places. The first is actually from her workshop itself. The second is her booth outside of the fourth tier of Stormhold in a small welcoming courtyard for small vendors.

This location is moderated by All Syliras Staff
Feel free to self moderator
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6357243
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Re: [Syliras Location] Wildwood Music

Postby Nya Winters on October 15th, 2009, 6:21 pm

Timestamp: 18th of Fall, 509 AV
Reason: Instrument Purchase
Mood: Curious

Nya wasn't a singer. There would never be anyone that clamored over her voice or demanded she sing for them. Her rich alto held no surprises, and was often more of a purr than a true seductive whisper. With volume it tended to sound like a roar, and while she could hiss and spit with the best of the rest of the angry cats in the world, no song would ever pass her lips and truly be done the justice a good song deserved. So when she heard there was a woman, named Sina, that sold instruments in the bazaar, Nya steered one of her daily prowls that direction with a pocket full of coin. She lingered on the edge, not quite wanting to go in, until she spotted the outdoor courtyard, with the open air, and the musicians playing there. Nya wandered closer to listen to their music and leave a few coppers in their jars set out for just that reason.

And in wandering closer, she discovered that one of the buskers was also an instrument seller. So she made her way around and sat down by the blanket to wait for the woman to take a break and perhaps talk with her. When Sina did come over, Nya greeted her carefully and politely, then quietly asked her questions. "I am looking for an instrument or two... something easy to learn for someone not to gifted with the use of their fingers. I do not think something stringed would be too easy for me. But I do like drums and was hoping you'd have something small with a deep beautiful voice. And maybe something else, something played with breath...." The kelvic asked, still remaining in her seat, uncertain.

Sina smiled. "I understand. I do have several drums." She pulled out a goblet drum, which to Nya looked a bit too big, and then another simple frame and skin drum that looked very portable. Sina thumped first the goblet then the skin drum and Nya loved the way they both sounded. They had different voices, for certain, but each was rich and throaty. "They are both lovely, but I might be traveling a great deal. If I do the skin drum would be a far better match because it is not so bulky." Nya said quietly, wondering if it had a travel case. Sina produced one, and offered them both to Nya for three gold Mizas. The Kelvic smiled, and then let her show her what else she had. Sina produced a small recorder and then a little bit larger clarinet. She played little verses on each, then she produced a piccolo, which Nya loved because it reminded her of the breezes she walked with, but looked a bit hard to start. Finally Sina produced a wooden flute that she called a native flute in a G-Minor (which Nya really had no idea what that meant) and played a few notes. That was it... small, portable, and lovely. Nya smiled, and after also dickering a leather wrapping type case for it, purchased the flute for another five gold Mizas. Sina also produced hand-written instructions, bound in a little journal for each instrument. Nya picked those up as well for a single miza apiece, and having spent what felt like a fortune to her, called it a good day.

After thanking Sina, Nya took her new treasures and headed for the small room on Traveler's Row where she could stash the things safely and learn to play them in her own time.
Nya Winters
Let the winds in my heart blow...

Words: 784686
Joined roleplay: June 7th, 2009, 6:53 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Trailblazer (1) Never Say Die (1)
Donor (1) 2017 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)
2017 Top NaNo Word Count (1)

Postby Ryndra on October 15th, 2009, 6:57 pm

22nd of Fall, 509 AV

Ryndra had always loved the sound of instruments played well but never had the courage to really try to learn one. Back at her parent’s house, she had the pleasure of having a few musicians. They were good players, not brilliant but she had always been impressed. Of all that had been there, which was still few, the violin had always intrigued her. Small and delicate, it seemed a joy to play. Those that did play the instrument always seemed lost in their art.
She compared it to her own form of art. She became lost in the heat of battle just as a violinist became lost in the sound of their melodies. It was something she admired and always aspired to. Of course, was not long before she found herself down in the area where the musicians gathered, listening to them play.
As the day drew to a close, Sina approached the squire, smiling. Ryndra caught the look and smiled as well. “I’d like to purchase-“
“A violin?” Ryndra was suddenly aware of what the musician held in her hand. “Do you know how to play?” Ryndra looked down. “No matter. This should suit you nicely.” Ryndra held the instrument in her hands. It felt so delicate but the craftsmanship was exquisite. Utterly enchanted by the beauty of the instrument, Ryndra paid without a word spoken. By the time she came to her senses, Sina was gone.
Ryndra
The storm is brewing.

Words: 11887
Joined roleplay: October 4th, 2009, 1:39 pm
Character sheet

Postby Malia on December 19th, 2009, 6:53 pm

Timestamp: 36th day of Winter, 509 AV

It felt good to be in town again. Too good, actually.

After having lived in Syliras for about one season, she had left and travelled through the desert in the far South, seen beautiful cities and vast, wild landscapes and then she had turned around and found back to the city again. Never had she seen a place like that. So many different people were walking the streets, so many different shops and aspects and opportunities. Malia had never been a social person, but recently she considered herself to be more social than before.

Before … she had been happy with her Master. Eventually their relationship had been destroyed – by utterly ignorant and cruel people, humans even – and she had wandered the countryside on her own for a while. Lost, hurt, hopeless. It was then that she had entered Syliras. The city symbolized a light in the dark, a shimmer of hope in her existence.
One could say that Syliras had become the same what her Master had been for her before.
That day she was strolling through the streets for the first time since she had walked through the gates. A strange feeling of … coming home appeared inside her chest. A bit irritated, but content apart from that she was watching the passersby, the buildings, the sky … enjoying fresh, cool air.

Deserts are far too hot for our kin.

It was then that a sound, a sweet little melody reached her ears. While turning she already started to walk over to where it came from. A human woman was standing in front of a blanket filled with strangely shaped wooden objects … oh, music instruments. She had never taken any interest in listening to music until then, let alone producing some herself. However …?

Well, she could at least give it a try. While the woman was dancing around the blanket with perfectly rhythmic steps, Malia tilted her head and inspected the instruments on the blanket from the distance. Why did she even feel drawn to that sort of hobby? Perhaps she needed something to do. Far too long she had been without any profession to work with. As a Nuit, Malia knew that she needed a project. Perfectionism was the key – as a consequence, at least boredom would disappear from her life. Melancholy? She wasn’t sure.

“Hello! Are you interested in my instruments?” Suddenly the girl was standing in front of her, beaming innocently.

Malia cleared her throat. The decision had been made. “Yes … I don’t know anything about playing, but those with strings look beautiful.” She pulled strands of black hair out of her face, a bit surprised by the fact that the musician didn’t show any signs of suspicion or fear like others. “However, I intend to travel a lot, so it has to be something easy to carry.” As soon as she had voiced that, her eyes were already searching for a fitting object.

Of course Sina knew her wares better. First she played a few notes on a drop-shaped instrument named mandolin, but Malia shook her head rather quickly. Although the sound was nice, she didn’t want it to be with her all the time. Too happy, too cheerful, it would only annoy her. Then Sina briefly touched a harp, but seemed to change her mind and took a lyre instead. With great dexterity she produced a slow, thoughtful melody – sending it right into Malia’s heart.

Sometimes she wondered whether undead could actually possess a heart, a soul or anything similar. But at that particular moment she recognized that music moved her as much as it did living people. That was the most important thing about professions.

With a slight smile she pulled out a few coins. Sina returned her smile. “A perfect fit, isn’t it? I’m glad that I was right”, she commented while accepting 15 gold mizas and handing over the instrument together with a practical and robust leather bag and a short, hand-written description. When leaving the girl’s booth, Malia felt the weight of the bag in her hands and was more than satisfied with her purchase.
Malia
The Remnants

Words: 229208
Joined roleplay: August 20th, 2009, 5:44 pm
Blog: View Blog (18)
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 4
Featured Character (1) Trailblazer (2)
Power Fork (1)

Postby Klane on January 12th, 2010, 6:30 pm

25th day of Winter, 509 AV

An average sized Kelvic steps into the shop. His clothes are worn an slightly ragged, a sign that would make most shopkeepers throw the person out. The only thing stopping Sina is the fact that the Kelvic, named Klane, is jingling a few gold rimmed mizas in his hands.

As a x-slave Klane spent much time entertaining his owners guests, usually in the form of music. As such he began to develop a skill with guitars and a lesser skill with other instruments as well. New to this city, new to a free life he had the common sense that he was going to need money. He was already sleeping homeless. Being that his choice was either music, or tasks he didn't prefer such as gardening, cooking, and cleaning. There wasn't much of a choice. Even though his animal part was a wolf, he refused to give into cold blooded killing, unless he needed the food. So, the best choice was to be a performer.

Klane walked up to the shopkeeper and spoke, "I'll take..." He hesitated. He wasn't even sure what instrument he would buy... "Well, I s'pose a mandoline should do. Alright, yes, one of those" Without waiting for an answer he placed 8 golden mizas on the table. Shortly after he added one more, "And while I'm at it... A harmonica." Another one of his musical talents, he was working on playing the two at the same time. He'd decided to master the skill a few months back after an exceptional performance earned him extra dinner.

"Alright," Sina began selecting the two music-makers from a shelf behind her, "Here you go, make sure to take care of them." She grabbed the mizas and placed them into a box before saying a farewell.

Rudely, Klane forgot in a wave of shyness to say thanks and instead, he just hurries outside of the store to continue getting settled down.
Klane
X-Slave

Words: 18143
Joined roleplay: January 10th, 2010, 4:13 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet

Postby Alistair deGrey on April 8th, 2010, 12:56 am

33rd of Spring

Lovely woodwork that it, quite the talent. Alistair deGrey stood before the luxurious blanket, looking down at the wares and woman spread across it. Sina Kokais played a lovely sounding guitar and nodded his way when he approached. deGrey almost nodded back, but instead crouched and began to peruse the array of instruments. Despite deGrey's mental insistence to examine the instruments for an undefined period of time, a small tug at the back of his brain told him to quickly complete this small task and return to work. So Alistair's mercurial eyes swept over the instruments, and fell upon a pair of drums that looked perfect.

Most sets of drums Alistair had heard of, or seen here, involved only one drum or maybe four to five. However, here before him sat a pair of what were apparently Bongos, and whats more there were only two. Clearly full percussion pieces could be played if there were only two of them, and deGrey found it a fascinating possibility that his water droplets might play a tune. A shiver ran down his spine, perhaps he should experiment with autonomous music in the future.

Sina finished her song, and gracefully "moved" over to deGrey. The word moved seemed entirely inappropriate, as she moved more like a wave of water than a mammal. Her smile never ended, even as she spoke, "Hello, I see you're interested in my drums?" Alistair calmly nodded. Looking up at her from his crouching position, he suddenly felt extremely self conscious. The inventor rose and addressed Sina, "Yes, how much might those two drums be?" deGrey pointed to the Bongos. "Oh, those are only three gold Mizas. Do you like them?!" Alistair nodded again and scanned the other instruments, and saw something extremely interesting. He had recalled hearing one or two back in Zeltiva, but had never actually picked one up. "Is that a violin?" deGrey's hand moved to indicate a stringed instrument to Sina's left. The instrument maker turned, "Why yes, yes it is! Would you like to hold it?" A third nod indicated deGrey's approval, and Sina quickly floated over and returned with the string instrument. The wood was polished and smooth in Alistair's hands, and had a cupric finish on. Alistair felt the weight of the bow in his hand, and almost brought it to the strings but for fear of embarrassing himself in front of the accomplished musician. "It is more difficult than most instruments to learn, I'll tell you now." The man shrugged, it was a beautiful specimen, and his life was composed of challenges anyway. Another one would only enrich it.

"I will take the drums as well." Alistair dug through his pockets for the appropriate sum of sixteen gold rimmed Mizas, dropped them in the woman's hands, and nodded a thanks as he walked away with his new instruments.
Alistair deGrey
Wulgaru given Breath

Words: 209442
Joined roleplay: December 25th, 2009, 9:48 am
Blog: View Blog (2)
Character sheet
Scrapbook
Medals: 2
Lore Author (1) Trailblazer (1)

Postby Thorn Blackwood on April 8th, 2010, 11:16 pm

Thorn had never been into Stormhold before today. She had lived in the city her whole life with little or no money. It was strange to be here among all the shops with actual money in her pockets. Her real interest was in the music store. She had heard from many people about a woman named Sina that could make the best quality instruments for little money.

She wished that she had been able to save the precious flute that her Master had carried on him. Those damn bandits had taken it for the instrument would fetch at least 10gold mizas and give them there next meal.

Soon after asking for directions for the upteenth time I found what I was looking for. Spread out on a blanket were the most beautiful things she had ever seen. Masterfully made drums, violins, and more.

It was heaven. And the music the woman played on her strange guitar fit the mood perfectly. "It's beautiful!" I exclaimed when my searching eyes finally found the flutes and a single piccolo. "Ah do you like those dear?" The woman playing the guitar asked setting it down gently.

"I really do! The color of this one, and the baby blue color! The deep green and red one to! You are amazing!" I couldn't hold back my happiness.

"Thank you." She said happy to see my excitement over her instruments. "Have you played a flute before?" She asked as I picked up the green one and held it up to get the feel of it.

"Yes my Master taught me the basics before he..Well that is the past..But yes I do no a little." My excitement quickly faded as I said that. "I'll take this flute and that piccolo."

"That will be 10gm because the piccolo is usually specially made and this is the only one I am selling." She said smiling as the shining excitement returned to my eyes.

I handed the money over and grabbed the flute. "Goodbye!" I called to her as I left.
Thorn Blackwood
Player

Words: 5019
Joined roleplay: April 7th, 2010, 7:28 pm

Postby Dlight on January 19th, 2011, 2:16 am

30th Winter, 510 AV

Syliras appeared on the inside exactly as the outside suggested, it was a giant castle. Dlight hadn't been to the city since before he'd initially died-- something he didn't recall at the moment. The loud noises of business and chatter stormed his Zith ears, making his wings that were tight around him clench in a moment of aggravation. No, he couldn't screech a Zith curse here or it would immediately draw attention to himself.

Dlight focused his attention on trying not to bump into others as he made his way into the courtyard, his eyes operating much better under the dim light of Syna considering the clouds that had gathered for the Winter season. Instrument, he reminded himself, he needed an instrument to express himself with.

It was then that a sound echoed in his ears that wasn't one of chatter. It almost reminded him of his own language, making him turn towards the source with curiosity and eagerness. A woman stood off towards the edge of the courtyard, her eyes closed but face bright as she held an object in her hands, fingers carefully strumming it's strings. Was that wood or stone? Dlight wasn't sure, but he approached her, careful to weave around others.

Beside her was a makeshift display table, and after a moment Dlight realized he'd found what he was looking for. "Music!" He exclaimed in his native tongue, eagerly looking over the instruments that laid before him. Some had strings and some had holes, but he wasn't sure exactly what was right for him.

Not hesitant in interrupting the woman's music, he turned to her after retrieving the book from his bag and said in Common, "I need an instrument made, like this" Dlight held up the book, which was open to an illustration on an instrument that looked alike the 6-stringed instrument the woman played, but had 4 strings and a bow. "Do you know what it is?"
Last edited by Dlight on January 31st, 2011, 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dlight
Your blight is my delight

Words: 51893
Joined roleplay: December 28th, 2010, 5:32 am
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet

Postby Leviathan on January 31st, 2011, 3:02 am

The young woman played. The sounds of emotion inducing music flowed through the immediate area of Syliras with extreme ease, and though nearly any sound so easily heard through various halls would have been silenced in a heartbeat, there was no knight, citizen, or god willing to end such a sweet sound. Sina was a musician in a world where musicians were rare and general unskilled. Even as Dlight, as strange of a creature he was, approached and questioned about an instrument, the woman continued to play. The guitar in hand, strumming without missing a note, her sweet voice humming elegant sounds that was unrivaled by most. She did, however, open her eyes to gazze upon Dlight, but it would not end, not just yet.

After a few moments of staring at the picture offered to her, the music faded. Only silence was left to fill that void that so hastily devoured the beautiful sound. "Yes." As if she had expected this elegant creature to appear to her, she motioned with her head to a bundle wrapped gently in cloth. Inside was the prize he was looking for. "Do you play for Rhaus?" The question in itself was an odd one, and few even knew who Rhaus was. Sina, however, simply questioned that, when he played music, if he did so for Rhaus as if he alone was his audience. She smiled as if revealing it was he alone she played for, and was overjoyed to do so.

OOCI'm so sorry for making you wait. I've been busy.
Bad News Everybody. School is picking up, Exams are beginning to happen, homework is growing time consuming, I may soon be evicted from my apartment, I'm dealing with severe and physical fights among several of my best friends, and I can't seem to find a time to get much needed sleep. I'm terribly sorry, but don't expect to see much of me for a long while.
Leviathan
Adapt, Migrate, or Die

Words: 281278
Joined roleplay: July 25th, 2010, 6:57 pm
Race: Staff account
Character sheet
Office
Scrapbook

Postby Dlight on January 31st, 2011, 8:53 pm

The music was more powerful up close than it was far away, and it made Dlight ponder if what she played was unrehearsed or premeditated. When the musician opened her eyes, she didn't stop playing nor singing, but after examining the illustration he'd presented to her, the music coming from her instrument stilled. "Yes." She answered, making Dlight possibly the happiest Zith in Syliras. The cloth-wrapped instrument she gestured to made him feel excitement for finding what he looked for and nervousness as well as dread for the patience he knew he'd have to learn in order to play it.

When she questioned whether he played for Rhaus, Dlight instinctively hissed at the thought. He would never play for Rhaus, and although his music may be played with the help of Rhaus or with the God of music's audience, he played for only his God. "I play for Leth, and Him alone." His words were neither harsh nor arrogant, but showed that he had complete confidence in his faith.

"I am Dlight, a fallen child of Leth." He wasn't sure if the woman would understand what he said but felt that it needed to be said anyways, as hopefully she would be the one to craft him his most precious instrument and such a person couldn't be withheld from information. "I want an instrument crafted fit to entertain my God. I have no limit on what I will spend." Looking at her other works, Dlight could tell that she was definitely talented in both making the instruments and decorating them. "I want it as beautiful and dangerous as the night sky. Any parts of the instrument that can be decorated but still functional I want crafted with Leth in mind."

He knew that his request was very demanding, but Dlight felt that it was necessary he have his instrument made solely for his purposes and his God. Buying one already made wouldn't sit well with him. "And if there's anything I can help with, I will. This will be my most treasured item, I would like to put as much of myself into it as is allowed. Is that possible?"
OOCThat's ok :) I'm looking to help make the violin at least a little bit, or to be there when it's being made to get a grasp on violin making. I wanted the pegs carved to be crescents, with it painted and carved however you see fit.
Dlight
Your blight is my delight

Words: 51893
Joined roleplay: December 28th, 2010, 5:32 am
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet

Next