Location [Syliras Location] Wildwood Music

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

[Syliras Location] Wildwood Music

Postby Eyat'thyl on February 3rd, 2011, 10:42 am

Eya, with a pocket full of gold mizas, skipped out into the city. She planned on getting a flute and violin at the least. These chosen instruments were small and portable, perfect for her travels! Before she left it was decided a few musical instruments, a sketch pad, pencils, paints, and more suitable clothing would be purchased. Today Eya would cross the flute and violin off the list. Soon, something caught the young girl's eye. Music paradise was layed out on a large blanket. While a woman, most likely the shopkeeper, played a keyboard the Konti girl had never seen nor heard of Eya scanned over the variety of cases and instruments. She waited for the woman to come out of her beautiful melody, but after what seemed to be forever Eya blurted out, "Excuse me! I would like to purchase something." Whatever had compelled her was highly uncivilized. Blushing, Eya pointed to the flute, violin, and clarinet, hesitated then also pointed to the recorder and oboe. Twenty-eight gold mizas were handed over. Eya had never spent money before, never even touched it until today. All one hundred of her gold mizas would probaly disapate before she left for her trip.Meerily she took the instruments one at a time, holding them as if they were delicate babies. Her new flute was shining silver. Trying to be careful not to cover it in fingerprints Eya pulled it to her lips instinctively and blew into it. 'I'm made for this!' the naive girl yelled in her mind seconds before a horrifying screeching noise flew through the air. Wincing she pulled the flute away and glanced at the shopkeeper "Was that me?" innocently she put the flute back in cloth casing and brought the violin near. By-passers skirted around the mat. Deciding not to scare any more customers Eya gathered her things and prepared to leave. 'Wait,' what might have been her concious told her. "Oh," she remembered "do you have any books that could teach me how to play or know any instuctors?"
-continued-
Eyat'thyl
Player

Words: 2980
Joined roleplay: February 3rd, 2011, 4:33 am
Race: Konti

Postby Eyat'thyl on February 3rd, 2011, 10:49 am

-previous above-
The woman handed her four small books and a pamphlet.
"How much?" Eya asked
The woman smiled, "four gold mizas."
Eyahanded her the coins and put her new possessions in her backpack. She was off.
Timestamp: Winter 46, 510AV
Items Bought: Clarinet, Flute, Recorder, Violin, Oboe, Clarinet/Oboe Book, Flute Book, Violin Book, Recorder Book, Flute Fingering Chart Pamphlet
Total Money Spent: 39gm
Eyat'thyl
Player

Words: 2980
Joined roleplay: February 3rd, 2011, 4:33 am
Race: Konti

Postby Leviathan on February 3rd, 2011, 8:17 pm

@ Dlight

Sina smiled. It was ironic in a way that this creature should be solely dedicated to Leth, and here she was, as a child named after Syna, goddess of the sun. She couldn't help but laugh inaudibly. "And I'm certain he will be pleased with your work. I am Sina, not like you, but a child of Syna. Different spelling, but from her I was name."

Sina frowned slightly as he mentioned that the violin provided was not good enough, yet that frown shifted so quickly to an overjoyed smile that only continued. She was pleased that somebody would be so dedicated to his god to do anything and everything to please him, to symbolize his faith to that god. It would be an honor for her to make something like this for him. It would be simple alterations as well. Genuine curves here, notches just as he wanted, symbols related to Leth carved into the wood. If he was as skilled as Sina, the music would even sound like it was some more Lunar, just from the love he put into it. However, and she should have seen this coming. He wanted it to him as well, yet he had no experience in creating instruments. It was a bad idea to allow him to make his own instrument, at all. She could sell him a standard one, and he could manipulate from there, but unskilled hands made for a poor carpenter. "That would be unwise. I can customize your musical instrument as you would like, easily even. But I have done this my entire life. My hands are skilled, my work is without flaw. Would you willingly risk the quality of the instrument to do it yourself?"

Religious or not, a lower quality of instrument was never better.

OOCHaving no skill in the construction of instruments would make the quality decrease, and since it is customized, more expensive. Where we can say it was as if he was there during the making, telling in great detail just how he wanted it, but he himself did not make it with his own hands. Also, customizations you mentioned wouldn't be too expensive. A few extra gold miza on top of the original price is all.
Bad News Everybody. School is picking up, Exams are beginning to happen, homework is growing time consuming, I may soon be evicted from my apartment, I'm dealing with severe and physical fights among several of my best friends, and I can't seem to find a time to get much needed sleep. I'm terribly sorry, but don't expect to see much of me for a long while.
Leviathan
Adapt, Migrate, or Die

Words: 281278
Joined roleplay: July 25th, 2010, 6:57 pm
Race: Staff account
Character sheet
Office
Scrapbook

Postby Dlight on February 4th, 2011, 4:41 pm

When the musician told him her name was Sina, Dlight felt that he'd chosen that right place and crafter to go to. Who did Leth appreciate more than Syna? Even though this woman didn't seem to worship Her, she did say she was a child of Her. Had he perhaps found another like himself, fallen and trapped from the sky? This only deepened his resolve that Sina must make his instrument.

He listened to her words, considering them carefully. She seemed pleased at his motivations, and behind her eyes he could see her visualizing what she wanted to do with the instrument as he talked. The woman was right, Dlight didn't want to reduce the quality of her work and he was sure that Sina didn't either. "I wouldn't want to make imperfections in your work." Although it was a bit disappointing, the reasoning behind not being able to help make it was important and logical. Dlight could find another way to put himself into the instrument. "I will have you, child of Syna, make an instrument with which I can please Leth. I believe He would have it no other way."
Dlight
Your blight is my delight

Words: 51893
Joined roleplay: December 28th, 2010, 5:32 am
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet

Postby Leviathan on February 12th, 2011, 6:56 pm

Sina frowned lightly as Dlight was obviously hurt about the decision. She understood how badly he wanted it to be him to be in it as much as possible, as it would likewise be him to offer his music to Leth. Still though, imperfections would only hurt him more. Sina nodded, accepting his choice without question. She would make him a new violin, she was moved so by him that she would work on it immediately, make it how he wanted, and finish it as soon as possible. "Leth will be pleased, I'm sure of it."

Moderator's Note- 15 Gm for Customized Violin
Make sure you adjust your ledger in your CS. You can say whatever changes or alterations were made to the instrument that you wants. Color, pegs, shapes, etc etc etc.
Bad News Everybody. School is picking up, Exams are beginning to happen, homework is growing time consuming, I may soon be evicted from my apartment, I'm dealing with severe and physical fights among several of my best friends, and I can't seem to find a time to get much needed sleep. I'm terribly sorry, but don't expect to see much of me for a long while.
Leviathan
Adapt, Migrate, or Die

Character sheet
Office
Scrapbook

Postby Devlin Parker on May 10th, 2011, 9:48 pm

4th of Spring, 511 AV
Coin spent : 8gm
Item bought: Mandoline

Devlin was still a little upset as he walked into the shop, vividly remembering how he recently accidentally broke the guitar that had been given to him as a gift by his father. No matter, what's done is done. He walked up to the woman, who seemed to be playing one of the products she was supposed to be selling, a guitar. It was a truly beautiful piece, and he easily recognized her as the best player he'd ever heard. He hated to interrupt her, but he was here looking to buy.

"Um, one mandoline, please," he said, holding out the required 8 mizas. He took what he needed and was almost on his way out, when he turned around before the lady started playing again, and asked,

"Say, what other kind of guitars do you sell? your music is very beautiful, by the way."
Devlin Parker
Tip of the hat to you good sir

Words: 11025
Joined roleplay: May 8th, 2011, 9:54 pm
Race: Human, Inarta
Character sheet

Postby Marc on June 1st, 2011, 5:24 pm

36th of Spring, 511 AV.

Marc pressed his way out of the evening crowd of shoppers, and found the source of this surprisingly pleasing melody. He calmly pulled out the list by which he dictated all of his public interaction, and scanned it systematically for any business he may have here. Among the itinerary was something explicitly unrelated to his politicized and systematized thoughts. He had lost his flute a month or so past when a drunkard had landed a very impressive blow during a tavern brawl. It was so impressive, that it was the least Marc could do to faint in preemptive fear of the pain it undoubtedly would've caused.

Regardless, Marc considered this a pleasant coincidence, and, spotting an elegant piece of craftsmanship, decided to patronize the woman pandering her wares and advertising with rhythms. He glanced over the small tag attached to the beautiful flute, and with a small sigh, handed over the five gold mizas to the smiling minstrel. A tad much in Marc's view, but to him playing the flute was one of the only creative outlets available to him, and definitely the only socially-accepted one. With a forced smile, Marc bowed to the woman as she resumed her marketing campaign, and strode off in search of food and merriment.

Today was his day off from self-proscribed work after all.
Marc
Scholar and Summoner

Words: 19569
Joined roleplay: May 30th, 2011, 1:33 am
Race: Human
Character sheet

Postby Leviathan on June 7th, 2011, 1:17 pm

Sina Kokais was smiling, strong and genuine, from the moment Devlin stepped into her shop, to the time she was expected to speak, and even then the creases in her cheeks remained as if the smile persisted even through the difficulty of talking. For her, it was no task, he enjoyed what she did, what she was doing, and had no reason not to smile. "I can play any instrument. Why do you ask? Have you an interest in this guitar?" Even though she spoke, Sina was able to play the guitar, which grew so quiet that it was almost a background music made for her voice, which too sounded wonderfully melodious. It was like she wrote the music simply for that very phrase she spoke, like she had before, or like it just came to her naturally. Her fingers moved, never missing a note, never making a sound too loud, too soft, too high, too low, out of place, or otherwise imperfect. It would be difficult to say that anybody could play better than she could, except of course for one. Rhaus himself. He was the reason she was so skilled.

"I have no customers, you can take a seat and talk if you would like. I am always happy to make a friend."
Leviathan
Adapt, Migrate, or Die

Character sheet
Office
Scrapbook

Postby Seven Xu on June 10th, 2011, 11:24 am

Summer 1, 511 AV

Seven held a crumpled piece of paper between his fingers. A note with the location of Wildwood Music had been jotted down weeks ago, but Seven had gotten complacent and distracted in his time in Syliras. Finally, when the season changed, the sinking realization that the meager amount of savings he had left would not last forever. The third tier was bustling with life, and above it all, Seven could hear the distinct, sharp sound of a well-tuned guitar.

The note, he decided, wasn't needed.

The workshop smelled of wood, and a floral scent he could not place and was scattered with instruments of all shapes, sizes, and stages of development. Pocketing the small piece of paper, Seven smoothed out the wool-cotton vest and pulled back sleeves on his crisp white shirt. As the song came to an end, he lifted his pale arms to offer praise in a short clap. "Lovely."

Although he wasn't merely here to listen. The polite demeanor kept his body rigid as he approached the woman he was told called herself Sina, with a smile as bright as the sun itself. A cordial bow at the waist before his back straightened again, the Lhavitian's lips pulled back into a toothy grin. "Good morning, Sina. I come to you because I was referred here by the Welcome Center." Seven chose his words carefully. He did not want to sound too confident, his inflection walking a thin line that could easily be crossed into naiveté. "I was told that I may be of help to you in tending your shop." The boy had rehearsed any reason that Sina would possibly even want him working there. He could not play an instrument, but his skills in balancing ledgers, friendly disposition and attention to detail combined with a burning desire to learn would get him far in nearly any store attendee's job considered menial by many.
Seven Xu
Rhetoric can't raise the dead.

Words: 567538
Joined roleplay: April 30th, 2011, 11:02 pm
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Thread (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Leviathan on June 26th, 2011, 3:23 pm

"Thank you. I wrote it myself."

Sina smiled as Seven called her by name, which as far as she recalled, she hadn't introduced herself yet. "Aenysa then? That girl, of course!" Sina giggled softly as she set the instrument aside and reached out to shake hands with Seven. Her own hands, quite opposed to how she looked, were quite rough, calloused from years of playing and creating instruments. "I actually requested that she send me an assistant. I like to take an instrument outside and just play when I can. It would be nice to have someone here to look after the merchandise when I go." Sina took back her hand and moved to place the guitar back on the shelf, she motioned for Seven to follow her behind the counter as she moved, already seeing him as her employee. "Do you have a name? And, can you sing?" Sina, still smiling, giggled softly despite being completely serious. She seemed more interested in any musical talents Seven might have rather than ability to read, write, or perform physical labor.

"I can pay you three gold mizas a day for your work this season. It's not much, I know, but if you can learn to build violins and carve flutes, I will make sure you earn so much more than that. Also..." Sina reached out and pinched Seven on the cheek. "I'm going to teach you to play something."

OOC3 gm a day will be Seven's wages. If that is acceptable, I will pm Dusk with the information and Seven has his job as a Clerk for Wildwood Music. If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, feel free to PM me.
Leviathan
Adapt, Migrate, or Die

Character sheet
Office
Scrapbook

PreviousNext