Location [Syliras Location] Wildwood Music

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

[Syliras Location] Wildwood Music

Postby Seven Xu on June 29th, 2011, 3:31 pm

“My name is Seven,” he replied, before thinking over the second part of Sina’s question with a bit of deflation in his voice. “Sing? I’m not particularly talented at it, no. I’m sorry if that’s a problem …” The last thought was tacked onto his admission hastily as he stepped after her. Although it didn’t seem to deter the chipper woman from offering him a job, and he donned a gracious smile and nearly tripped over himself as he bent at the waist to offer another formal bow. “Oh, thank you. Thank you so much.”

As Sina’s melodious laughter filled the workshop and warm fingers pulled at his cheek, it erupted in pink and he floundered for a response. “I’d like that,” Seven grinned. It seemed instrument making was as meticulous precise as the art of playing them, something he would not immediately pick up – a challenge. Seven’s grin refused to fade as his new employer continued to giggle and speak. He could have continued to thank her, like the gracious moron he was, but he soon went quiet, listening and absorbing everything the young woman had to say.
Seven Xu
Rhetoric can't raise the dead.

Words: 567538
Joined roleplay: April 30th, 2011, 11:02 pm
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Thread (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Dusk on September 17th, 2011, 3:50 pm

Seasonal XP Award!

Seven Xu
XP Award: Negotiation: 3XP
Lore Award: Techniques of a Salesman, How to maintain instruments (basic)
Ledger: None

Additional Note
Your season of working as shopkeeper has given you the rudimentary understanding of how to convince people not only to take an interest in your wares, but how to encourage them to give you the best price for them. You're also learning how to clean and maintain a variety of instruments.

PLEASE NOTE: Finals are over, but summer is eating my soul. As such, as of the end of June I will not be accepting any new quests/modded threads until I finish some of the ones I've already started/agreed to. My apologies for this, but I don't want to be unfair to those who have been waiting for replies!

Dusk's Office - Information on Syliras - Help Desk
Dusk
DS: Syliras and Wildlands

Words: 341560
Joined roleplay: April 6th, 2010, 5:33 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 7
Featured Contributor (1) Trailblazer (1)
Donor (1) Power Fork (2)
Trash Medal (1) Thunderspork (1)

Postby Crypt on September 22nd, 2012, 1:57 pm

27rd of Fall, 512 AV

Ennui was the only emotion prevalent in Crypt and Maras' minds. Hours of aimlessly wandering the streets, encountering almost nothing of interest, they now came to the Grand Bazaar, where they walked about for a while.

“Looks like it's time to get back to the Row. Don't give me that look Maras, there isn't much we have to see here. We went here yesterday, remember?”

Maras neighed once, displaying his reluctance to return. Crypt sighed.

“Tell you what. There's some stables near the Row, we'll take a look over there, you might find a friendly groom willing to give you a few oats, or who knows? You might even find your lady love there-”

Crypt broke off. The first few strains of a melancholy tune drifted through the air. And he did follow it without a thought.

And there he stood 'neath the darkening sky, gazing at Sina playing a flute. The deep and slow notes that emerged from her flute were a balm to his boredom-afflicted mind; the simple tune grasped his heart, tugging at his heartstrings. Even Maras stood there silently, shaking his majestic head slowly to the slow, calm rhythm of her music.

Once it ended (What a pity! thought Crypt), Maras promptly trotted over to Sina and started licking her face. She began to laugh at the wet and ticklish sensation, before turning to Crypt.

“Well, young Drykas, how is my tune?”

“Well... Ah... It's... It's wonderful!” Crypt struggled to make his words coherent after breaking free of the spell of the music.

“Why thank you!” She gave a smile to him and patted him on the head, making his cheeks as red as the sky at sundown. “What brings you here to my wheelbarrow?”

Crypt pondered the question for a few seconds, before deciding on something he had never thought of before.

“I'd like to ask you a favor: there's a tune I used to sing many a night when I was in the Sea of Grass, and I need you to write that down, both the words and tune, so I won't forget them. Can you help me with that?”

“Well, hum the tune, I'll see what I can do about that.”

And so he hummed softly the music that he had sung to the Stars and the Moon. When he ended, she made a few notes on a piece of paper, and passed to him, along with a small booklet.

“The tune's pretty simple but beautiful too; here you go. Here's some tips on reading the musical notation. You said you sung that piece of music, would like to sing it with me?”

“Ah well... My singing voice is rather rusty...” He mumbled. Maras snorted and nudged him impatiently.

“No matter! Start singing, don't be shy! I'll accompany you on the flute.” She gave him an encouraging smile.

“Very well.” He took a deep breath.

Can you not hear me?
O Stars of the Night;
I sing of your bright
Blessed starlight,
Your beauteous might...

When they had finished, a small group of people gathered around them threw a few coins into the neat little basket in front of Sina. She spoke first.

“You have some promise there. Though your voice is untrained and rough, though you sing some notes a little too high, or low, with practice you will improve.”

“Thank you milady.” Crypt was about to leave before a thought struck him.

“Could I buy that flute of yours? I suddenly have an urge to learn to play the flute. Here, I'll give you 5 gold mizas.”

“But of course.” She handed him the flute she was holding, taking the coins. Taking another piece of paper, she scribbled hurridly on it before passing to Crypt.“Here's a rough guide to playing the flute. I'm sure you'll do well in learning it. Have a good evening; thank you for singing with me!”

Grasping the flute in one hand, he waved goodbye to Sina with his other, gently pushing Maras to get him moving.

Done by the one and only Assilsa Curare!

8200th member. :)

NOTE: I will be on holiday from the 9th to the 25th, so don't expect me to post anything! Apologies.
Crypt
Apophenia.

Words: 329416
Joined roleplay: September 20th, 2012, 4:58 am
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

Postby Kayuqtuq Snowsong on May 27th, 2015, 4:41 pm

Kayuqtuq took a deep breath and stepped in. The music store was filled with instruments, but she was looking for one in particular. This was her first day in Syliras, and everything scared her. It was so much bigger than Avanthal, and everything overwhelmed her. She needed something to keep her from getting homesick. She needed a lute. She headed in the general direction of the lutes, tracing each and every one with her fingers. The Snowsongs were known for wanting an attachment to their instruments and she wanted the right one. She fingered the little wooden charm on her necklace, the fox's wood eyes staring up at her. "Help me find the perfect one." She whispered to the charm in Vani. Her eyes turned from a nervous yellow with a dot of hopeful orange to a determined violet. Kayuqtuq looked at lute after lute, none of them seeming right. Her eyes finally hit a maple wood lute in the corner. Something about the lute was different then the others, so she plucked the string. The moment she heard the sound her eyes flared up a joyful pink. This was the right one. She picked up the lute and carried it to the front, where her eyes turned back to their original yellow. She placed 50 gold mizas into the cashier's hand, and walked off, her prized lute in her hands.
Vani Common Nari Thoughts
Note: Kayuqtuq is only basic in Common, and particularly has trouble with grammar and the structure of words. If you notice she talks a little like a six-year old, that's why.
Note: Due to real life, posts will be delayed. I'm working hard on some non-Mizahar writing, and that plus school and various other things makes it hard to post.
Kayuqtuq Snowsong
The Bard

Words: 30583
Joined roleplay: April 21st, 2015, 11:10 pm
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Previous