Flashback Where Do We Go From Here? (Razkar)

now that they have the jaguar kittens...precisely what are they going to do with them?

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This is Falyndar at its finest. Danger lurks everywhere - in the ground, in the trees, in the bush. Only the strongest survive...

Moderator: Gossamer

Where Do We Go From Here? (Razkar)

Postby Tinnok on November 15th, 2013, 3:42 pm

Tinnok waited patiently for a few chimes as the cats got used to each other's scents. The witch wasn't precisely sure what she was hoping for. Mostly a miracle, but it seemed as if the tigress didn't mind the two cub's presence much, and though she seemed to blatantly ignore Eagle, didn't mind his either, as long as he didn't make any moves.

When Tinnok pressed the first images of cubs, striped and running around much as Jorka and Leaf were doing, she felt the tiger's mind flinch a bit at the weight of the images. Her return answer was a life of solitude, pushing other encroaching predators out of her lands, whether that be Myrian, cat, or canine. A life lived by being the biggest and strongest and fiercest in her section of jungle, and one uninterrupted by mewling of hungry cubs. Tinnok sat back, deciding to go for another tact.

This time she sent images of the two jaguar cubs being brought into the great city of bones, which the tiger had seen lit up in the night where her body moved so quietly so as not to be caught by the people on the walls. She growled at this sight, for it was very unwelcome in her world, and the two legged creatures like the male that were constantly coming out of it. Tinnok pressed passed this to the trading square, the pet stalls, where bears, monkeys, and rare cats were collared and caged, trained and sold to the highest buyer and raised as pets and companions...but were trapped in the walls.

The rumbling growl int he tiger's throat grew, a snarl escaping. Tinnok growled back, insisting to let her finish her story. She showed the jaguar mother dying, leaving out the part where it was her who had killed it, the dying mother, the lost cubs, trapped in cages, not the wilderness.

And then the tigress was done. Tinnok, in all her wisdom as a witch had forgotten something quite key in her understanding of jungle animals, in the way that they were not altruistic. These cubs, as the tiger's thoughts communicated through her mind, would pose a threat to her reign over her lands. They would not grow into large tigers, but smaller jaguars, and as both males, would test and try her for her space once they were full grown. She was not with cubs, and never would be, and this play date, while amusing, was boring her.

Eagle could see Wolf rub her face, two jaguar cubs looking up in curiosity as the tiger, shaking her loose rolls of fur, rose slowly and methodically off of the ground, glanced at both jaguar's once, and the witch and male in turn, before pacing slowly off back into the forest.

"I hate cats sometimes." Tinnok chuckled. She was upset, but she should have seen this coming, the odds were too stalked against them, and they were nearing Taloba by the bell. She grabbed Leaf under one arm, hefting him up in front of her face, then glanced at Eagle.

"I think...I think if we take them to the Tiger Yards they might be willing to train them, I know that there are few cubs, so perhaps they'd be willing to take them in. I will not sell Leaf tot he pet stalls, but since you came this far with me, you have your choice of what to do with Jorka." It was not ideal, not for the Witch, but it seemed only fair. Perhaps she should have left the cubs in their cave, to live or die by Caiyha's will, but she had seen them for a reason, perhaps the two jaguar cubs had a higher purpose in all of this, and Navre's hand was guiding her choices somehow. Except she had never seemed to have good relations with any of Navre's children, even now.

The Witch sighed, cradling Leaf upon his back and rubbing his tummy, getting a few claws sunk into her hand for the trouble. "Ach, you little petcher, watch it!"

Image Image Image
Tinnok
A Witch of the Wilds

Words: 878542
Joined roleplay: February 3rd, 2013, 5:27 pm
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Medals: 2
Featured Thread (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Razkar on November 16th, 2013, 5:01 pm

Eagle liked to think it would have worked out like the myths and campfire tales. That the mighty mother of the jungle would have folded the two lost orphans to her breast and raised them as though she'd birthed them herself.

But when the tigress stood, shaking its fur back into place like a female in a thick coat, there was no spark of empathy or compassion in those eyes. Part of Eagle cursed himself for such hubris, such naivete, such... arrogance.

The arrogance to assume that a creature as pure and unsullied by all trappings of civilization would see these cubs as anything but potential threats to be dealt with. Tigers would even make war on their own young when they became challengers to their territories; why would these adopted younglings be any different?

Tis the law of the jungle. Strength and ruthlessness equals survival. Anything else equals death.

But some screed of desperation still drove Razkar to take one step forward, mouth opening at the softly swaying back of the departing tigress.

"Wait! Can't you-"

Wolf's hand shot up like she was catching an arrow, stilling him with that instinctive female command that all Myrian males were taught from birth to obey. Eagle glanced at her, face turgid with confused pleading... but he saw the look on her face and his mouth closed.

She had communed with the tigress' mind. The decision had been made, and such as Navre's Consorts were not swayed by the Children of Myri. The jungle seemed to shimmer and morph around the outline of the tiger, sleek and taut frame vanishing with almost-magical ease into the foliage, and then for all the stark orange and white and black of her... she was gone.

"I hate cats sometimes."

Razkar answered her chuckle with a mirthless snort of his own, petting Jorka as though he was calmed as much as the cub by the simple tickling behind its ears. He heard Wolf's next words, and his mind flashed to memories of the doe-eyed, stricken faces of those creatures in the Pet Stalls. Almost all of them wild, born free and fierce in Caiyha's bosom... then stolen. Taken.

Enslaved.

"No. Not the Stalls." Razkar managed to mutter, eyes fixed on the bright black eyes of his charge, looking up at him with the trusting incomprehension of the young and innocent. "The Yards will... make them useful. Treat them well. Perhaps one day they can... return." He smiled again and a glimmer of humor returned to his lips as Jorka nibbled furiously on his thumb. "They never forget what they were, I think. Where they come from..."

They saved them, so they were responsible for them. Perhaps it would have been easier, certainly more natural, to let them die in that craggy outcropping of rock, devoured alive by that big male. Caiyha brooked no sympathy for her creations as a whole: they were all her children, but she had made the world as it was and left them to it.

The male needed to eat, too, and remove future threats to his domain. Such was the way of the jungle. But Wolf and Eagle had tampered with that, sought to impose their all-too-temping compassion and mercy into a place that could not even fathom the feeling behind those words, let alone the meaning.

Wolf smiled and settled the creature back behind his shoulders in the backpack now clawed and ripped nearly to shreds, but Jorka inexplicably managed to burrow comfortably into. Syna waxed high above the canopy, but they still had far to go... and Razkar did not want to be around when night fell and the tigress decided she was hungry.

Today was interesting for her; diverting and rare. But she still needs to eat.

"But I won't have them made slaves in cages for the amusement of the bored and gormless," he said as he began to wade out the water, tone as solid as the water was flowing, "Now lets get moving..."
My Words | Your Words | Myrian | Fratavan | My Thoughts
Razkar has been cursed by Yahal, and as such finds little acceptance from others; they will instinctively view him as being deceptive and traitorous. However, when close to one blessed by Yahal, the effect is negated. The curse is etched onto his left pectoral, and viewing the mark causes others to feel dirty and unclean.
Razkar
War Is The Answer

Words: 2242619
Joined roleplay: October 8th, 2012, 12:04 am
Race: Myrian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 9
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (2)
Trailblazer (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Tinnok on November 21st, 2013, 4:52 pm

It was dark again by the time the faint light of torches hovering behind the walls surrounding the city of bones came into view. The area around the city was still lush with foliage, but it's rampant growth seemed to have slowed enough that slowly the clearing returned to normalcy as the two hunters approached the city gates.

The abomination was grateful for the cover of night, which kept the sheen of her scales and the hue of her eyes secret, her pupils nearly round enough in the night to pass for circles instead of slits. The two weary travelers approached the front gates, sleeping kittens stowed upon backs or curled in arms to the curious glances of both Myrian Tigers and Guards alike before being allowed to pass through the gates unmolested.

Tinnok couldn't say that she had missed the city, which had bred too many horrid memories into her mind to consider any sort of true home, but it did symbolize an end to their journey of sorts, and this she could appreciate at the very least.

"Come on, I'm sure there are people still up at the tiger yards."

Bare feet padded slowly over worn pathways twisting and weaving through a city comprised of stores, longhouses, and stone temples devoted to a myriad of deities and services. The tiger yards was a massive section of city, as befitting the feline royalty that graced its confines, and the half breed couldn't help but think that the Tskanna required more room, but dropped the thought. Generally speaking one did not simply waltz into grounds where only the fiercest and most proven warriors trod, and as Tinnok slung Leaf from out of her pack she was approached by a dark skinned male who she could only assume was simply a worker, lacking any markings or signs that he was a rider or groomer.

"The yards are closed, and you are not a rider." The half breed nodded, making sure the motion made a lock of hair fall over her eyes to keep the glint of surrounding fire from catching the yellow in her retina.

"We come with an offering for the yards." She said holding up a sleepy Leaf who gave a questioning yorwl at the movement. The male scrutinized the cub for a moment, looking at the patterning that had already come in on the male cub's coat before glancing up, unimpressed at Tinnok.

"Got yourself a coupld jaguar cubs, aye? They'll fetch a good price in the pet stalls."

She had been expecting this. "Would you sell a Myrian tiger cub in the pet stalls?"

"Of course not, what kind of petching question is that?"

"These cubs are Navre's children just like our tigers, and I think you can agree, neither jaguar nor tiger is a pet."

"And what are we supposed to do with them, you cannot ride a jaguar."

"You don't need to ride one for them to be vicious hunting animals. Raise them with whatever cubs you have, they will build confidence in themselves, and I know there are few enough infant tigers, you have the people, the time. They will not be ridable, but they could still be of use, hunting, killing, perhaps to be bonded with an older soldier or a recruit who fails to claim a tiger." She didn't like it, talking as if the jaguar's would be a second place prize to bonding with a massive Myrian tiger, but it was their only chance. The worker paused for so long Tinnok almost wanted to strangle him, then lifted Leaf out of her grasp, reaching for Jorka.

"I'll probably get fired over this, but alright, we'll take good care of em'."

Tinnok bowed her head in thanks, feeling something weigh down upon her even as the weight of the cub was taken away. The male strode away with two woozy charges in his care and the half breed turned toward Eagle, yellow eyes filled with a bit of sorrow, even as she smiled. "I'm going to miss em."

Image Image Image
Tinnok
A Witch of the Wilds

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal

Postby Razkar on November 23rd, 2013, 4:42 am

Well, that was all settled, then, wasn't it? Wolf talked them into accepting the cubs, they'd be cared for, raised properly, respected and finally, if Navre and Myri and Caiyha all smiled, perhaps even given a place of honor and use among the Talobans. It was, all in all, a damn good deal, and didn't cost them a bikka. All Razkar had to do was have over Jorka.

Let go, now. Yes... no, the opposite of tightening your fingers!

Razkar knew his mind was right; he couldn't keep Jorka, after all. He and Aya didn't have the time or space to care for a jaguar. Wolf already had Dog, and Nasila (well, he could always... "make space", by removing her from the equation). This was the best option. The only real option...

But Jorka looked up at him, and Razkar wanted to take a blunt instrument to any barbarian bastard who ever said that animals did not have souls. Soulless creatures could not stare at him with that look of befuddled hesitance. The other Two-Legs was reaching for him, but he didn't want to go! He didn't understand! And now Razkar had to swallow hard and swivel up black eyes that stopped Taamori dead.

"You sure they'll be safe?"

"Safe as we can make 'em. Nothing's for certain with the big cats, y'know, but we've had stranger charges than this, believe me."
He flashed a sullen look to Tinnok. "Few quite so forcefully foisted, however..."

"We can come by? Check upon their progress?"

Taamori just gave another shrug, something he answered many questions with. Truth be told, it was late, dark, the pens were swept and cleaned and he was tired of smelling like dung. He wanted to go home, and Leaf was swiftly becoming away he did not smell like Wolf.

"Yeah, I... don't see why... not. Just... come down and we'll... hold still! Yeah, we'll, ah... we'll let you see them."

"I have your word?"

"What? Yes! Ow!"

"Good enough..."

Taamori's only free and non-bleeding arm was swiftly loaded with another jaguar cub, and Jorka made Razkar really pay for it. The little bastard. As Eagle stepped back the fluffy head turned around and an odd, mournful little "ourl" squeaked from his throat. He held out one paw...

Razkar didn't take it. This was bad enough: having to watch someone else walk away with his... theirs...

Hers. They'll always be hers. And she knows what is best for them.

"Be good." He managed to croak, and his throat stung as Tinnok's gaze swung to him briefly. He wouldn't give her the satisfaction of his throat clearing. No blood way. "We shall see you later."

"Good night to both of you."

Injecting more than a little breathless relief into his voice, Taamori scuttled away to the juvenile pens. Scuttle was the right word, as Razkar could see it. He swayed and sidestepped as mounds of dark fur explored him like a trembling landmass, guttural curses mixing with inquisitive yips as the roiling figure with twelve limbs became smaller... and vanished.

"They'll be fine." Eagle said after a while, half to himself. The slow nodding was for the same reason, perhaps... but the look he cast Tinnok definitely was not. "Jaguars taken in my Tigers... goes to show. It doesn't have to be-"

Eagle words were cut off by a mental ax swung by a silently angry and exasperated voice.

Don't go down that road again. She knows she'll never be accepted. She's made peace with it, in her way. Don't bring it up.

Which was easier thought than said, if you follow, since those yellow eyes were already pinning him expectantly, waiting for some closure to that sentence. For a few ticks the male gaped like a beached fish and finally just sighed, shrugging, reaching out... and stroking the jaguar pelt around her shoulders. Or, more accurately-

"That's yours now, I think. You earned it." He caught the look that crossed her face, somewhere between bristling anger and guilt, and shook his head. "No. Not what we did to it. Not what we killed. What we saved."
My Words | Your Words | Myrian | Fratavan | My Thoughts
Razkar has been cursed by Yahal, and as such finds little acceptance from others; they will instinctively view him as being deceptive and traitorous. However, when close to one blessed by Yahal, the effect is negated. The curse is etched onto his left pectoral, and viewing the mark causes others to feel dirty and unclean.
Razkar
War Is The Answer

Words: 2242619
Joined roleplay: October 8th, 2012, 12:04 am
Race: Myrian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 9
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (2)
Trailblazer (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Tinnok on November 27th, 2013, 1:27 am

The half breed was not going to ask questions, the cats would be taken care of, she had no doubt, and her slits narrowed in surprise as Eagle grilled the man about if they could visit. She took a step back, retreating into shadows far from the light of the torch, waiting for Razkar's interrogation to finish before glancing at the full blood. Her skin crawled as the jaguar pelt was wrapped around it, already choking her body in the wet warm night, and she slipped it off, folding it thoughtfully as he stared at her.

"I did earn this, as a reminder of the consequences of my gift if improperly used. Every time I look upon her coat I will think of the life I took, the infant cub that died because of my hand, yet I was just part of the cycle, and all I can do is move within it the best way I know how, as you have done as well." She smiled and patted Eagle upon the shoulder.

"Come on, I think we can get a drink at Durak's help us forget our fuzzy friends, they're in good hands after all."

And so they walked down the empty streets of Taloba, two hunters, two friends, two comrades and confidants in their deeds.

Image Image Image
Tinnok
A Witch of the Wilds

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal

Postby Soliloquy on December 30th, 2013, 6:36 am

Tinnok

Skill XP Earned
Land Navigation (Jungle) +2
Climbing +1
Tracking +2
Rhetoric +1

Lores Earned
Razkar: Perfect distraction for Akila hounds
See, dogs and cats can be civil together!
Finding empathy with a tigress
Doing what is best for Leaf

Razkar

Skill XP Earned
Land Navigation (Jungle) +2
Climbing +1
Tracking +2
Dual wield +1

Lores Earned
Met Akila Hounds and lived
Jorka: A small fluff ball but full of tenacity
Shyke can make any man excited
Going to miss that Bugger, Jorka

Additonal Notes :
Yummy read as always with you two. I was really hoping the tigress would have taken the cubs but like the ending regardless.

If one has any questions or concerns regarding thine grade, please send a private message posthaste and we can discuss the details.

c
Soliloquy
To be or not to be..

Words: 27835
Joined roleplay: October 31st, 2013, 7:25 pm
Race: Staff account
Office

Previous