[Strange/Shane/Wisp's Scrapbook] May Contain Puns!

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The player scrapbooks forum is literally a place for writers to warm-up, brainstorm, keep little scraps of notes, or just post things to encourage themselves and each other. Each player can feel free to create their own thread - one per account - and use them accordingly.

Postby Strange on January 22nd, 2014, 10:21 pm

Warning: May Contain Puns!

Secret :

Welcome to the Pun Zone. This is my Scrapbook of Puns, funs and I may even talk about Mizahar every once in a while. Some of you know me and some of you don't. For those that don't I am Strange, New AS of Sahova under the Brilliant Mirage, Shane Wallsly, orphaned Hypnotist of Syliras (possibly psychopath would be a better description), and Thannis "Wisp" Daraktheon; Chained One of Sunberth (perhaps OM NOM NOM lock up your wives and drunk people who can't defend themselves would be a better description). My alter ego is a big Scottish bloke who's studying Social Sciences (Hopefully gonna be doing some Philosphy with Religious Studies at St. Andrews next year) at college. He has a penchant for the melodramatic and a love of television such as has never been seen before (I don't like him though. He's always telling me off when I do stupid things).

Secret :

So where was I going with this? Yes rules are next. I considered imposing a tribute of a pun before replying to the Scrapbook but that, I feel, violates my kindhearted soul so I shall oppose just one rule in this scrapbook. Be nice. Niceness is nice but if I need a kick in the bum you know where my inbox is (and trust me sometimes I do).

Secret :

I have decided just to dig right into a scrapbook post right away here. So without further ado let it commence.

I've been an ST since... I can't believe I had to go look that up. Friday is when I made the account. So around five days and since then I've talked with Mirage, read a lot of lore and graded a few threads. I feel sort of changed already. Not so much changed as perhaps inspired. I'd read the Grading Guide before. I'd read it twice perhaps. I had never graded before though and now that I have don't think I'll ever be able to write the same way again. Presentability, skill improvement, realism - I always wrote for me. I never wrote for others. It was an itch I've always had and roleplay has always been an itcher but now that I've read others work and so deeply enjoyed them I want to pass that on to other STers. I want people to enjoy my threads as much as I have enjoyed grading others. I also need to start practicing that ancient custom of showing not telling which I realize may be an issue in some of my threads.

I also really need to rework my characters. Nothing major like CS rewrites and the like but I need to get a greater handle on who Shane and Thannis are. That, and after rereading the magic lore extensively, I need to sort them out for being kind of rubbish at magic. Especially Auristics. After reading some really good examples of Auristics I feel what Shane has so far been playing may not be wrong but definitely wasn't the best way to show it. Hypnotism I could do with tweaking Shane's portrayal of that also and I may finally understand how I can put Glyphing and Voiding together with Thannis. So busy busy busy but by the time I'm through with either character they'll be great. Maybe one day they'll be a name known throughout the Player base for their achievements like Kavala and Wrenmae and Clyde and Annalisa and all those other characters who have had such a HUGE amount of work put into them and have reaped the rewards of that labour excellently.

Aas you may or may not know my left hand is in a plasticy cast thing and this is the first time I have written my hand to pain since I got it so now I have to stop because it throbs like an illegitimate child.

PS a shoutout to all you Sahovan players who have taken me in with open arms; Mirage included as my wonderful boss.

PPS sorry if I offended any of your eyes with this orange background. I feel like Orange is my colour.

PPPS :

PPPPS :
"I'm such a Silverheart fangirl"
Strange
AS of Sahova

Words: 71649
Joined roleplay: January 17th, 2014, 7:07 pm
Race: Staff account
Scrapbook

Postby Shane Wallsly on January 24th, 2014, 8:42 am

Okay after a lot of deliberation I have come up with a solid (ish) backstory that explains my character, Shane's, odd backstory and perhaps gives him a future of some kind.

Okay so this book that Shane has. It was written by Brun who is supposedly some Nuit with major memory issues but what if it wasn't? What if Brun was a code? Each letter corresponding to the first initial of everyone who wrote it? Belric. Runa, Ulric and Novac. Why did these poeple write this book? Why the secrecy and what do they all have in common? The Irst. Akajia's Night Stalking group of minions. This book, or rather the total three to five book series, was written by these four members of the Irst as a challenge or perhaps an initiation rite. When a member of the Irst spies a possible recruit they leave the ferst book for them to find and then watches what they do with it. When said agent believes they have fulfilled the first book they appear to the prospect and set them a challenge: To find the other books and to master each ones contents and, of course, (the ultimate challenge) to gain Akajia's blessing in the form of her divine mark. Once you have the mark and have mastered the books sufficiently then you'll probably be challenged and then accepted into the Irst.

Now why was Shane given the book? Well Shane cheated a little because the father that abandoned him all those years ago is a member of the Irst. During his time squiring with the Knights he did some noteworthy dead to acquire Akajia's attention and, from then on, became obsessed with the whole thin until eventually he was recruited and went on, even, to be one of the authors of the books. He is Ulric. Ulric Wallsly. I was thinking maybe Belric could be his brother. I dunno about that though.

Well anyway when he joined the Irst he decided to leave his family behind because he's a selfish bad word. However almost a decade later he has returned to Syliras to see what has become of his family. When he sees his son, a lowly down and out, he decides to give the boy a chance and leaves the book for him to find hoping that he would have the strength to make himself better.

Now, with Shane's power growing, Ulric thinks that it is perhaps time to tell his son all about the rest of the books. So he has been leaving clues for his son. However Shane was completely clueless so, in a moment of frustration, Ulric (who is an Expert Hypnotist) unleashed upon his son a Flash making it appear to his son for a moment that the man in the Leatherworks was his father. Not exactly subtle but Shane still didn't get it thinking he was maybe just losing it. Then, in disguise, he went into the shop and pretended to be a disgruntled customer. Shane didn't recognize him. Finally he paid a Trader to sell Shane a Bozderon Shadow Dog - A Breed of Dog infamously associated with the shadowy. Shane still doesn't get it and Ulric is starting to realise he's been overestimating his son's intelligence/observational skills and, perhaps, needs to reevaluate his own.

Of course this whole idea sounds kinda rediculous now that I articulate it. It would perhaps make more sense if Brun was a made up name and his father, some kind of con man, was just trying to teach him sone stuff or something like that. Hmm, any thoughts people?

PS Going to the Doctors about my wristy-thumby injury. Fingers crossed.

PPS :
Group Threads: 1/3

ImageImageImage

Clerk at Mystic Eye Fortune Telling
Shane Wallsly
Success Is The Only Option

Words: 284445
Joined roleplay: September 30th, 2013, 9:10 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 2
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)

Postby Shane Wallsly on January 26th, 2014, 7:06 am

An Idea just occured to me about Lykata, Eyris' Gnosis. If you were a first marked and had access to something that one person made (like if he was a glassblower or something and you could get first access to his glass) day in and day out and read each item could you begin to form a clear picture of the person's motivation and personality?

PS So my thumb is better than it was two weeks ago but not as good as it'll be in three weeks. Those Doctors. Always so helpful. I'm joking of course. I truly appreciate the healthcare system in the UK. So the thing behind my scaffoid has a small fracture in it so if I don't hurt it again it should be perfectly fine in 2-3 weeks. Fingers crossed on that one.
Group Threads: 1/3

ImageImageImage

Clerk at Mystic Eye Fortune Telling
Shane Wallsly
Success Is The Only Option

Words: 284445
Joined roleplay: September 30th, 2013, 9:10 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 2
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)

Postby Annalisa Marin on January 26th, 2014, 11:28 pm

Secret :

Heeey there Strange, master of puns. Happy to hear your thumb is doing better, I'm wishing you a speedy recovery. Can't wait to see everything you have in store for Sahova. Also wanted to be the first to post on your scrap, because I'm horribly obnoxious. :ninja:

Also I wish you luck on articulating Shane's backstory, I know from experience how hard it can be.
Annalisa Marin
Sorceress of Chaos

Words: 1635951
Joined roleplay: May 19th, 2013, 6:52 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Thread (1) Overlored (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Strange on January 28th, 2014, 2:00 pm

So a lot of yopu guys know about Strange the mod or Shane the character or, a few, as Thannis/Wisp the Undead but I've been reluctant to share personal details about myself. Well there's a well known saying I'm sure you've all heard that goes “Cluttered desk; cluttered mind” or something like that. So I was tidying my desk and I was like 'yeah, this desk describes me perfectly. Looking at each of these items really gives a feel for me.'

So yeah let me introduce you to my desk. First and foremost it is always cluttered. I spent most of my life at this desk and it really shows. Cluttered mind: Check :D Anyhow, most prominent thing about my desk is the big, shiny monitor which is top of the line (for under £100) gives me some awesome graphics for my PC games which are mostly too old, or too non-graphics reliant, to utilise my monitor fully. There's my wireless adapter tucked somewhere out of sight. My awesome speakers which my dad bought for himself eight years ago. They still work and the sound clarity is awesome but, occasionally, the left speaker just goes on vacation for a while. We've got my ketyboard which is, again, about eight years old. I wrote 'Jamie's Keyboard' on it when I was like 14 and, for some reason, this has never smudged. I think I used a DVD writer pen or something because that shyke is ingrained. The 'a' and 'm' are partially gone from use and the N is completely gone but the numpad at the side is dusty from underuse. I don't even know what that means. Maybe I write 'and' a lot? The last computorial thing I should mention is my lovely Desktop, Alice. She's under my surprisingly resilient glass desk but she deserves a mention when talking about me. She's only been a part of my year since the 20th of December 2012 (yes I gave her a birthday) but she's my computer. I spend more time with her than my family and she is the only thing I have bought and built with my own money. She'll play any game an Xbox One can play better and she'll purr like a majestic lioness while doing it. Why Alice? I'm a crazy person and sometimes I shout at inanimate objects and one day I was giving her a row for crashing and it slipped out. Divine Intervention right there. I told my family and a few of my buddies and the name stuck. My mum once sent me the following text: “I just spent three hours tidying your room :| The whole room was a disgrace. Even Alice was pretty dirty.” I did not resist the urge to make an innuendo.

So where was I with this train of thought? Yes, desk. Okay the items on my desk:

We've got a bottle of Dr. Pepper (2 ltre) which is interchangeable with Coca Cola (my slightly more expensive addiction) and the ensuing box of co-codamol for the tooth ache this causes.

My phone; no internet; makes me sound like Darth Vader when I phone people; I never bought into the whole 'your phone should do everything' thing. I remember learning about the 'Convergence of Technology' in Computing. Petch that. If you swap out all your useful items for this one item that does everything you're going to find yourself out of charge and out of luck. The Convergence of Technology is more of a lie than the Cake.

What else we got here. Oh, my watch. I love my watch. Metal, sekonda, nothing fancy but never cheap. Classy, you know. I've always been of the opinion that the watch is the only acceptable form of man-bling. That and your wedding ring of course (still waiting on that One gal myself).

Wireless Mouse that ran out of battery and has never been re-batteried since. A teaspoon (don't even know what that's from).

A Sky remote (haven't had sky for eight months).

My new iPod. My first and only iPod. I kind of hate Apple – it's a whole big thing I'd rather not get into. My phone has no memory so iPod for songs. Songs strictly. Itunes makes me want to cry.

A Coca-Cola piggy bank my mum got me. It's half full of 1p and 2p's because I'm too cheap too but anything worth more than that in there. I've needed the money within quite a few times but I am reluctant to smash it up. I can be a bit of a hoarder like that.

A cover for a USB that has never ever went back on the USB since I got it since it's for when the USB is not plgged in and it is never unplugged. Temporarily in transit – yes – but never just lying unplugged (I have a 'smart' TV which can play files from your USB – as long as these files weren't made by Americans. I seriosuly hate all this regional coding crap. You get it with DVDs too. Why can't our TVs just play DVDs and files from everywhere?).

My splint because I just took it off cause my hand was cramping up from typing.

The letter saying my student funding was approved for this year. Still on my desk from August. The letter for my return appointment about my thumb-wrist thingy.

An empty packet of Walker's Roast Chicken crisps (Mmmmm), two empty Lindt Lindor chocolate truffle wrappers (OMG MMMMMMMMMMM – My all time favourite chocolate).

A 'personal grooming kit' my dad got me for Christmas because I am incredibly anal about using his nail clippers when clipping my nails. Of course he got me crappy tiny nail clippers that I can't use so I still use his nail clippers all the time. Great problem solving, Dad.

Exactly 52 playing cards with my face printed on the back of them. At College we did a Secret Santa and my crazy mind cooked up this fun idea. I was so impressed with how cheap it was I bought a pack for my friend, my sister and one just for me. I really don't want to know what that says about me. I used the worst picture I could find if that makes me sound less egotistical. ]

I've got a big wireless receiver thing that looks too much like a speaker. It is completely unplugged and has never been used because I couldn't work out how to get it to work. It does however do a good job of keeping my webcam elevated. The webcam I've certainly not used enough to justify how much it cost me.

A red coat hanger. I don't even know why or how.

A 'babe magnet' key chain my Dad got me for Christmas. We can safely say I am the opposite of this. My real keys have a metal Grumpy and an Avatar The Last Airbender (Best Thing That Has Ever Been Created – The show not the keychain or the movie) keychain on them. That's what I'm all about.

The 'Get Smart' DVD I bought for 99p. I love the rise of Blu-ray. Not because I like blue-ray but DVDs are so, sooooooo cheap now. I am a DVD Hoarder. I'll buy a DVD even if I've watched it a million times or I could download it for free just to add it to my collection. My DVD collection is like my book library if you know what I mean.

Finally, the very last item, is a Christmas card from my little brother, Kyle. He just turned 8 (or 9 or something – I'm terrible with ages I just found out my sister turned 20 instead of 19 three months ago.). Anyway he drew it himself and I promised I'd keep it right here next to me. It's only been a month or something so no big deal. I still had his Easter one up there when he gave me the Christmas one.

So yeah. That's my desk. I hope none of you are Therapists or anything. I do psychology at College and I swear my Lecturer gives me a look sometimes that says ' I know what you did last summer'. I included a pic of my playing cards should be below the text. I hope you enjoyed this insight into the Strangeness of Jamie Cooper. I really should get back to tidying my room.

PS If only I could have wrote this much but as a post for my poor, deprived PCs.

PPS :
Strange
AS of Sahova

Scrapbook

Postby Skerry on January 28th, 2014, 2:48 pm

Alice? Really? You're so special :P I actually enjoyed reading this and laughing at you and then I was like... "Oh crap... I do that... and that..." So yes, laughing at myself... in a lecture... where nothing funny is happening. Not noticeable or mad looking or anything :|

Anyway your scrap is cool and you should post on your PCs soon by which I mean Thannis :P

Because I'm so punny :
Yes, yes I did say that but anyway to my wonderful horrible pun:

Becoming a vegetarian is a huge missed steak!

I'll never do it again, I promise :D
Skerry
The Volatile One

Words: 121644
Joined roleplay: November 8th, 2013, 10:00 pm
Office
Scrapbook

Postby Strange on January 31st, 2014, 3:58 pm

Darkness. Smoke machines. Two crossing beams of light. A podium rises. The Chorus begins to play and the lights come on. It's me rising out of the smoke. I'm back!

That's always how I imagined I would do a return of a chat or game show that I presented. I dunno why I have thought about this as much as I have in my lifetime but it's something that pops into my head from time to time. Firstly, I'm back. Secondly, I should probably tell you guys and gals why I've been (mostly) gone since Wednesday. My internet went down. Big phone line issue: everybodies was down in my neighbourhood too. I played some Skyrim, hung out with my Dad, slept a lot = my forced exile wasn't that bad.

Skerry :
Nice try but this is how you do it...

What is it with those half men, half horses? They always have to be the centaur of attention!

I haven't even responded to you two yet so thanks for replying to my scrap. Skerry, I've been in that situation a few times before. I feel you. Anna, best shark ever.

Hokey Pokey :

Introverted Neurotic

So I do Psychology as part of my Social Sciences thing at College and we've started Personality this week. So we took these personality tests for fun that rated us on three dimensions and Psychoticism (being a Psycopath): Introverted or Extroverted, Neurotic or Stable and Truth or Lies: by asking us simple yes/No questions. The Truth or Lies bit asked us questions everyone should say yes too to gauge how much of what we were putting down was what we wanted to be like rather than what we are. I answered 6 out of 8 of those questions Truthfully so my test should be pretty accurate.

So what was my result? As you can probably guess from the heading above I am an Introverted Neurotic. In Ancient Greece a Doctor named Hippocrates classified my type as being high on 'black bile' whatever the hell that is. Apparently I'm anxious, pessimistic and unsociable. An Introvert being someone deeply thoughtful and withdrawn and a Neurotic very simply being someone who has a very high stress response. Good news? I'm so not a Psycopath that's possible I have a Martryr Complex. Win. Anyway here's the scale.

And here I am:

If you want to try an online one where instead of yes/no it's like a five point scale, click here. It's just sort of the ground work of personality tests and you probably shouldn't take it too seriously though.

Secret :
Strange
AS of Sahova

Scrapbook

Postby Strange on February 3rd, 2014, 8:44 am

PS I have nothing to say just that the above pun is totally awesome.
Strange
AS of Sahova

Scrapbook

Postby Strange on February 4th, 2014, 7:43 am

This is a Shoutout!

This is a shout out to all of the magnificent Graphic Designer people who have made me box codes without me even needing to ask. I went from worrying that I'd have no box codes or something pretty rubbish I cooked up with my limited to no skills to really being spoiled for choice!

So thank you guys and gals. Thank you Elysium. Thank you Abstract. Thank you Ollic. And thank you Skerry for the wonderful box codes for my PCs.

While I'm thanking people here. Thank you Mirage for I don't know what exactly I just feel really thankful toward you maybe it's just because you're awesome. Thank you Goss and Elysium (again) and Traverse and all the Founders and STs that made it possible for me to become AS of Sahova. I'm having a blast so thank you for that.

Am I missing anybody out? Oh yeah. Thanks Anna AKA Eldritch for all your feedback and also for making Never Gonna Give You Up the first thing that comes up when I type youtube into my browser bar. Also thanks to Celeste and Osd for their participation in modded threads with me. Celeste was great and Osd is being great.

There I'm done. I think I thanked Elysium three times there. Well thanks everybody. (that's four but now it's only twice as much as everybody else)

PS :
Strange
AS of Sahova

Scrapbook

Next