Closed [Sullin's Residence]Mages make Magic[Wrenmae]

Clyde and Wrenmae end up meeting and discussing magic

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A city floating in the center of a lake, Ravok is a place of dark beauty, romance and culture. Behind it all though is the presence of Rhysol, God of Evil and Betrayal. The city is controlled by The Black Sun, a religious organization devoted to Rhysol. [Lore]

[Sullin's Residence]Mages make Magic[Wrenmae]

Postby Clyde Sullins on January 17th, 2014, 11:20 pm

"Turning my own questions on me. Clever. Alright, Mr. Sullins. I'll indulge you."

Clyde found the mans manner false, his gaiety, his laughter. Clyde knew enough to tell when something he said was funny, or witty... That had certainly not been it. In fact, to quote himself, he did not just want "a parrot to spout niceties and what they thought I wanted to hear." And he himself had just done that, showing the action and wit of a dullard by throwing back the own mans words at him. Not something that took smarts, or wit, or thinking. Quite the opposite in fact. And yet the man called him clever for it!

Quite odd... Or perhaps Clyde was just being a bit paranoid... Hard to say.

But still it was best to be certain, just in case the man was humoring him, trying to put him off guard. After all, he had skated around Clyde's prior suspicions quite well for someone as unskilled as he claimed to be.

"My father was a merchant who dabbled in the magical arts. He taught me Maladiction, as it was part of his craft to do so. I was young at the time, young enough to grasp magic without the fear that ordinarily perverts such things. I suppose I found it fascinating enough to pursue afterward."

"I do not have the same level of hatred for Syliras...as a child I looked up the Knights, enjoy the stories. I'm sure any city that considers itself the savior of all others could be a bit narrow-minded in their view, so I understand where you're coming from."

Clyde had in fact been about to point out that some might say the same of Ravok, of its goals, but it seemed the man was not yet finished, and so Clyde let him go on.

"I pursue magic like I pursue all knowledge. There shouldn't be a limit places on the things a man can learn. The more knowledge we have, the better able we are to analyze it, link it, and form new opinions and ideas based upon them. The Valterrian took much of civilization from us...knocked us back on our asses in terms of enlightenment. It only stands to reason that if we are to grasp what we've lost, we cannot allow superstitions to cloud our need to understand."

"I don't suppose you'd be willing to teach someone like me the basics of Magecraft, would you?"

With the man apparently done, Clyde paused for a moment, mulling over all he had said.

"I don't believe it is so much that limits are placed on knowledge, more so that the knowledge itself has its own limiting factors actively blocking you from understanding it."

"Limits, knowledge, magic, all so intertwined. Each magic limited so severely, molded into a unique shape, unable to have their rules broken, to go out of their realms. Well, unless another rule of another magic says ones rules are to be broken, as Glyphing so often does."

"And yet at the same time, I find they all follow the same rules, all sing to the same song. All are facets of this great knowledge you so wish to understand. Nothing less than djed and its nature. A man who understands djed, all of its nature and how it works, would understand magic itself."

"My advise to understanding magic, would be to consider the circle. It is interwoven into the nature of far to many magics for it to be a coincidence. Animation, Glyphing, Magecrafting, all are interwoven within the circle and its nature. What of this alchemy, I don't know of it, what rules does it follow?"

"And as for teaching you of Magecrafting... I could... But what knowledge would you be offering in return, that I would value as highly as the knowledge of my craft?"
Clydes Stuff

I am actually in RL a super intelligent hamster from Rhode Island, with a 7 year plan to take over the world.

Update 6/2/18- 1:10AM EST: His 7 year plan a success, and several weeks ahead of schedule, Clyde leaves to oversee the world he has taken over.

No new threads after end of Spring 518-Will still be checking for PM's occasionally, but focusing on a new character.

Graders note: :
Please be aware Clyde is a master Magecrafter. He therefore should not be gaining full xp(or possibly shouldn't gain any at all) for simple tasks related to this magic, such as low level MC items, particularly for repetitions of creations he has done before. Feel free to contact me if unsure of a instance of his magic use compared to his skill level.
Clyde Sullins
Player

Words: 2343955
Joined roleplay: June 18th, 2011, 1:14 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Wrenmae on January 21st, 2014, 2:16 am

Wren shrugged, offering only a hapless smile in return. "I'm afraid my own knowledge of magic is fairly meager. You don't seem the sort to be interested in Maladiction, considering your distaste, and rumor suggests there is little in Reimancy left for you to command."

Lifting a hand to his chin, Wren caught it and worried at it, thinking, "I suppose I could trade you a secret, if you like," he raised his eyes to Clyde and winked, "A little something about Syliras that you might find interesting."

Arching his back against the chair, Wren stretched, keeping his eyes on Clyde the entire time.

"You don't seem to be their sympathizer, and that leaves you here, in Ravok, perhaps loyal to Rhysol's cause. Admittedly I've already delivered the information in question to the Dark God, but...I do not believe he has shared it yet." Wren's arms settled in his lap and he tapped his fingers together. "If your purpose is to hurt Syliras, perhaps even cripple the morale of the Knights, then you won't want to go any farther without what I have to say."

Carefully he considered the mage's body language, his poise, how he held himself. If he was an agent for Syliras, Wren could be dead in the next moment...but it was unlikely, especially now that he had revealed he had already told the secret to Rhysol. No, instead he'd press for an answer...and if there was magic in it for Wren to study? All the best.

Let Syliras handle the monsters it had created.

It was no longer any concern of Wren's.

Sig by Shausha

This PC has the Blight gnosis. As such, you as a player need to be aware of what that consists of. Wrenmae has an invisible aura that amplifies sickness and disease. Wounds may become infected, small sneezes may become coughing, and a slight fever may become more serious. A nuit's body will also break down faster in the presence of the Blight. These effects may not be immediate, but within the few days following your encounter, the symptoms will manifest. Some sooner than others. I cannot control your character, so creativity will be left up to you. Best wishes and stay healthy!

Special shoutout to Fallon for my new CS
Wrenmae
Taleweaver

Words: 1276299
Joined roleplay: April 15th, 2011, 6:34 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 9
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Trailblazer (2) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) 2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Clyde Sullins on January 21st, 2014, 3:31 am

Wrenmae's response to Clyde's claim was not unexpected, but certainly was a pleasant surprise. Especially this hinting of a story... Some secret that the mage knew of. Perhaps this other man was a poor mage, or perhaps not, but either way one skill he seemed to have in abundance was spinning a tale. He seemed quite good at that.

"I'm afraid my own knowledge of magic is fairly meager. You don't seem the sort to be interested in Maladiction, considering your distaste, and rumor suggests there is little in Reimancy left for you to command."

Clyde could not fault him there either. He would certainly not mind learning of the basics of Malediction, how it worked, if nothing else but to better be able to deal with it in the future... But actually doing the craft? He did not find much interest down that avenue.

And the mans skills in Reimancy likely did not compare to his own. He had little to be taught by others. All that was left for him was experimentation and trying new untried paths.

"I suppose I could trade you a secret, if you like, a little something about Syliras that you might find interesting."

"You don't seem to be their sympathizer, and that leaves you here, in Ravok, perhaps loyal to Rhysol's cause. Admittedly I've already delivered the information in question to the Dark God, but...I do not believe he has shared it yet. If your purpose is to hurt Syliras, perhaps even cripple the morale of the Knights, then you won't want to go any farther without what I have to say."

"Perhaps loyal... Yes perhaps. I suppose then you understand the nature of Rhysol better than many others. Not everyone's reasons for following him are the same, nor are most clear. But even being marked, I suppose that would not necessarily mean one was loyal to him. Such is his way."

Clyde paused for a moment, mulling over the words said, trying to decide how to respond. What to ask for. It was his nature to press for more, to try to learn more, to expand his skills. It was the person he now was, had been shaped into. Why fight it?

"If you have such a secret, perhaps I would find it of worth. Though I am unsure if said worth would be equal to what I would be offering... Hard to say before I hear it."

"Also I was wondering, whereabouts did you say you learned of voiding? My learning of it was a bit... Basic... Rather a offhanded meeting, and a bit odd, in which I gathered the nature of the art and how to begin it off the words of a drunken woman after she demonstrated it. So perhaps you could also tell me a term or two in regards to that magic, which I know so little of. Along with this other secret."

This was part a test, a test to see how highly the man valued his secret, and part a actual request, simply wondering if the man could pass on a term or two in good faith to a common magical academic. A pursuer of knowledge. Which it was would depend upon the mans reaction to it. Until then, Clyde would not decide why he had tested the waters with the question. He simply had.

"As for Magecrafting... If you wanted to learn how to actually do it, I am afraid I can't really help you. It is as a said a expensive magic, not something I can just show you easily. Its costs at even the most basic are in the thousands of mizas. However if you are simply interested in it from a academic perspective, then perhaps yes I could enlighten you."

"First, do you recall how I said magic was all about rules, each one set within their own limits, unable to break them, strictly enforced. Well Magecrafting at its core, is a magic that lets you break the rules. Not of other magics, but of the world itself. Of the very rules of nature. This thing is this heavy, this swings this fast, this is this tough and resilient. It lets you break those such rules, amongst other things."
Clydes Stuff

I am actually in RL a super intelligent hamster from Rhode Island, with a 7 year plan to take over the world.

Update 6/2/18- 1:10AM EST: His 7 year plan a success, and several weeks ahead of schedule, Clyde leaves to oversee the world he has taken over.

No new threads after end of Spring 518-Will still be checking for PM's occasionally, but focusing on a new character.

Please be aware Clyde is a master Magecrafter. He therefore should not be gaining full xp(or possibly shouldn't gain any at all) for simple tasks related to this magic, such as low level MC items, particularly for repetitions of creations he has done before. Feel free to contact me if unsure of a instance of his magic use compared to his skill level.
Clyde Sullins
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Wrenmae on January 22nd, 2014, 7:34 pm

Ever a game between two wizards, Wren slid his fingers into the grooves between fingers, creating a small table of digits to rest his chin on. He allowed Clyde to continue before shaking his head almost regretfully and drawing back.

"I know some of the basic properties behind Magecraft...or rather, I've seen it's kind before. Knowing it is an expensive craft hardly surprises me. It isn't often that I come upon someone who knows a great deal about such a magic, so I suppose if the lessons are beyond my reach, than the secret must remain beyond yours."

Shifting in the chair, Wren popped a bone in his back and stretched, "Of the other matter, Voiding, I wouldn't mind showing you a few things if I can be of help. You've been kind enough to offer hospitality and to answer my questions, the least I can do is show you my understanding of the magic."

The muscles beneath his eyes tightened and, for a moment, Wren seemed curious, "Of course...a man with your talents in glyphing and reimancy might be able to offer me a secret on par with the one I am to offer you." The tightening vanished and Wren sighed, "The measure of a secret is always difficult to ascertain...but I can assure you that knowledge of the secret alone drew Rhysol to listen to my words, which should be some indication of its importance. So..." He spread his hands outward as if leaving the floor to Clyde, "What else can we put to the table to ease this transaction?"

Sig by Shausha

This PC has the Blight gnosis. As such, you as a player need to be aware of what that consists of. Wrenmae has an invisible aura that amplifies sickness and disease. Wounds may become infected, small sneezes may become coughing, and a slight fever may become more serious. A nuit's body will also break down faster in the presence of the Blight. These effects may not be immediate, but within the few days following your encounter, the symptoms will manifest. Some sooner than others. I cannot control your character, so creativity will be left up to you. Best wishes and stay healthy!

Wrenmae
Taleweaver

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Clyde Sullins on January 22nd, 2014, 8:46 pm

"I know some of the basic properties behind Magecraft...or rather, I've seen it's kind before. Knowing it is an expensive craft hardly surprises me. It isn't often that I come upon someone who knows a great deal about such a magic, so I suppose if the lessons are beyond my reach, than the secret must remain beyond yours."

Clyde could not help but smile, as the man combated his words with words in response. Words finely honed and crafted as well as any spear, the apt tool for the job, designed for one purpose. It was not often he got to argue with a fellow mage, or really in general. Most people were either cowed by fear, or violent, or not of the scholarly type and so not apt to discussions and working their mind. So regardless of if he gained nothing else in knowledge, he would still have this, this experience, this joy of a battle of wit and word.

"Of the other matter, Voiding, I wouldn't mind showing you a few things if I can be of help. You've been kind enough to offer hospitality and to answer my questions, the least I can do is show you my understanding of the magic."

"Of course...a man with your talents in glyphing and reimancy might be able to offer me a secret on par with the one I am to offer you."

"The measure of a secret is always difficult to ascertain...but I can assure you that knowledge of the secret alone drew Rhysol to listen to my words, which should be some indication of its importance. So... What else can we put to the table to ease this transaction?"

"As I said, I could teach you of the magic itself, its properties and tenants, but instructing and initiating you into its actual usage... I simply do not have the tools at hand. I am not in the middle of a creation, so could not even include you in one. I doubt anywhere else in Ravok would have the needed supplies and facilities for such a demonstration and practical training in Magecrafting, except the Institute of Higher Learning. And that is not exactly a easy place to get into, nor to invite guests along to."

"However while a practical exercise in Magecrafting would be hard, a theoretical lesson could be done. But I would need to know exactly what you know. Do you know of the 5 basic traits that can be enhanced by Magecrafting, of their specifics, of reagents and catalysts?"

"As for teaching you some things about Reimancy and Glyphing, in exchange for information on voiding... Reimancy is also another practical magic, I doubt I know much of knowledge in it that could assist you... However Glyphing..."

"I could however easily share a few secrets of Glyphing that I have gained over the years by experimentation and practice. Three things immediately come to mind. One of which I have already mentioned, the importance of the circle, how to incorporate its essence better into ones Glyphing. Also the importance of triggers, the practicality of working on them and their logic, especially when dealing in high level Glyphing. And also finally, the irrelevance of triggers, in some cases. I think such knowledge of Glyphing would more than be worth in exchange some terms and understandings of the basics of Voiding."

Clyde smiled, knowing that his last bit about Glyphing would seem at first glance confusing and contradictory. After all, he was both saying that triggers were vital and important, and a main focus at higher levels in Glyphing, while also saying they did not matter. The last bit however was a untested theory of his, but one he felt had merit. Regardless of their contradictory seeming nature, he did not doubt his own logic, nor think that he might be wrong.

Often one had to look beyond the outer seeming chaos and confusion, to see the logic that lied within.

"And as for the secret of Syliras... I will admit my interest is piqued, and I would like to know more."
Clydes Stuff

Clyde Sullins
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Wrenmae on February 10th, 2014, 8:11 pm

There was a beat of consideration. Wren's brown eyes met Clyde's own and held them, gears turning within his skull as he weighed his options. No doubt the mage was interested in what he had to say. He didn't doubt the magecrafter's words regarding his craft...certainly not with the quality of the items he'd seen before. There would be nothing to gain by not showing him immediately. He had to, then, accept that the means of viewing the art itself would not be available to him. He'd have to work with what he had.

Not the first time he felt he might be giving more than he was getting, but in a certain sense the information wasn't his any longer. The god of betrayal knew the words now, knew the tree, so why not others? If the information was ever going to do any damage, it would almost certainly be perpetrated by the damn god.

Crossing a leg over the other, Wren nodded once, slowly, then followed it up with another appreciative nod. "Very well then, Mr. Sullins, I'll accept that trade." Taking a breath, he held it, as if also symbolically holding back the information. Without addressing the mage again, Wren picked up the cup and sipped from it, placing it aside again before standing up and delicately removing items from the table in front of them. They'd need a space to work with and for anything involving Voiding, it was perhaps wise to move anything that might find a permanent home in the nothingness just beyond this dimension.

As he placed the objects aside, he winked at Clyde, "Tell me, Clyde, what do you know about the Alahean empire? The Suvan empire? Anything pre-valterrian."

Sig by Shausha

Wrenmae
Taleweaver

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Clyde Sullins on February 12th, 2014, 6:12 pm

"Very well then, Mr. Sullins, I'll accept that trade."

Clyde nodded, wondering at the thoughts buzzing through the wizards head, upon his own reasoning going on just below the surface. But he supposed at the moment it did not matter, since he had agreed to what Clyde had proposed. Then for some reason Wrenmae began to clear a space on the table.

As he began to move things about, he followed up with a question.

"Tell me, Clyde, what do you know about the Alahean empire? The Suvan empire? Anything pre-valterrian."

"Clearing a space? If you would like, we could always do any practical applications or such over near the pedestal. I keep that area pretty clear. Just the stone pedestal in the center of the room and whatever I am working on, which at the moment is nothing. Unless you need a physical surface to do your work or demonstration on. But I would think the pedestal would serve your purposes as well as the lab table."

"As for things pre-valterrian... Not much. Something about a war, a long time ago. I am not particularly knowledgeable of history. My dealings in magic have by necessity been focused on the things that are most useful in the now, that will keep my alive, not on what has come before. What little history I do know is more focused on specific mages of the past."

Clyde in this case was speaking of Tallshade, a famous Magecrafter of old that he had been given a lesson on. But beyond that, he did not really know of any mages of long ago, or much of what had gone on centuries before his birth.

"But now that I have time, I would not mind hearing of what you would like to speak of. Perhaps one day I will know enough of my fore-bearers to be considered a proper scholar mage. Or not... Who knows where life's twists will take me. What of those things were you wanting to speak of?"
Clydes Stuff

Clyde Sullins
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Previous