[Kaie's Scrapbook] Eyes on the Forest, Not on the Trees

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The player scrapbooks forum is literally a place for writers to warm-up, brainstorm, keep little scraps of notes, or just post things to encourage themselves and each other. Each player can feel free to create their own thread - one per account - and use them accordingly.

Postby Kaie on February 24th, 2014, 3:01 pm

Hello, hello! Welcome to my scrapbook. Originally I hadn't thought I'd ever create one of these, but yet here we are. For the most part you can expect to find some of my own musings, thoughts, and reflections about virtually anything, though most will probably be Mizahar related. For those of you who will pop in to see what I have to rant and rave about, thanks for stopping by, though I do promise the rantings will be rare. Though I am treating this as my own personal journal, I do encourage anyone who wishes to to share their own thoughts and ideas about any topic I might write about here. I only ask that your comments be open minded and considerate to all that may join the discussion. Well I think that just about sums up my little introduction here! I'm sure I'll have something up to talk about soon, but until then, thanks for reading! :)

Kaie
Player

Words: 1635197
Joined roleplay: May 9th, 2013, 3:13 am
Race: Myrian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 7
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) Riverfall Seasonal Challenge (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Kaie on February 28th, 2014, 8:02 pm

So I have some exciting (sort of for me) news! For some time now I've only found maybe no more than five pictures of Kaie's model since I joined Mizahar. For those of you who love making billions of boxcodes of your characters, I bet you can guess why I might be excited about actually finding out who my model actually is. By some random chance I thought I'd try one more time dragging one of the newer images I found into Google images, and to my surprise I found her little website. It's a small gold mine, but a pleasant shock to discover nonetheless. It's sort of weird though. I swear she always looks slightly different in every picture. I don't know what it is. Maybe the lighting, the angle, or the way she has her hair? It might just be me.

Since the entire site is completely written in Polish, I think it's safe to say Kaie's model is very foreign. I like it though, not really having a person widely known to the world with their face plastered across every tabloid. Don't get me wrong, I don't hold it against people who do prefer mainstream people to represent their concepts. Sometimes it really works. I knew from the start that wasn't something I wanted to do for my character. Personally I've always found myself unintentionally drawing conclusions about people's characters based on their avatars. If I see Jennifer Lawrence of course I'm going to expect your character to be hilarious and carefree as hell! And if your guy's appearing as Ted Bundy, if I had an innocent and fragile girl PC, I might consider plotting more seriously. Then again that last one could make a very interesting scenario... I know, I'm horrible, but I do love a good story.

Anyways, from what I've heard, I'm not the only one. I don't think anyone can be blamed for the practice. When you first meet someone your brain is immediately observing the stranger and forming an idea about them. It's just a natural instinct and it doesn't mean we're failing by the "don't judge a book by its cover" belief. We're simply being intuitive. Of course it's an entirely different story when you persecute that stranger based off the rough sketch of their character in your mind. You could be dead wrong. Yet you could be absolutely right. Now look where we've gone. I've got myself rambling on a tangent. What was I saying before?

I suppose I should sum that all up with a simple statement. If you want your avatar to be a familiar face, go for it! Yet if you're going to, expect some assumptions to be made by others unconsciously. It's just a part of the package. If its the face you think best represents your character, don't change it just because someone grumbled about another celebrity. Do right by the concept. But if you have the chance, try to prove us all wrong. I do love surprises. :)

Kaie
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Tinnok on March 2nd, 2014, 2:50 am

c
There is always a discrepency for me between the models I find for a PC and the images I sketch of them, I should really get on doing that...lol. But I stopped by to say that I enjoyed your rant, it's basically the same idea I have of it too, if you're writing with someone with an uber famous person as the model, time usually reveals their character different from whatever you associate with the person, or in some cases it might not. With those like Kaie's pretty model it is nice in a way to have a clean slate, if I ever saw her image outside of Miz it would be your PC I thought of first not anything else haha.
c

Image Image Image
Tinnok
A Witch of the Wilds

Words: 878542
Joined roleplay: February 3rd, 2013, 5:27 pm
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Medals: 2
Featured Thread (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Caelum on March 21st, 2014, 12:59 pm

I heard this and thought of you. Have you heard it? I'm a fan.

-katie.

Caelum
The best way out is through.

Words: 1093768
Joined roleplay: March 18th, 2010, 10:27 pm
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Featured Thread (1) Guest Storyteller (1)
Lore Author (1) Peer Reviewer (1)
Trailblazer (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Kaie on March 28th, 2014, 12:27 am

Tinnok, I completely agree! It's usually a hit or miss but I'm always excited to see those that really bring something fresh and unexpected. I do like to see newer faces though. Leaves a nice, fresh slate to start with as readers build their own perspectives on a PC.

I actually liked this a lot more than I thought I would! The new twist on the instrumental and just the style the woman sang Roar was really cool. I'm glad you thought to show me! Thanks for sharing, Caelum! :D

Kaie
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Kaie on March 28th, 2014, 1:53 am

Activity

So this is just a quick little update I thought was necessary to share with those that might see it. There's been a noticeable dip in my activity level as of late, and though I have so many cool projects with PCs this season I'm so pumped about, I have to accept the fact I just won't be able to move as quickly as I had intended. Don't worry I have no plans of dropping any plots or threads I've already had in the works for some time now. I really love the direction I've got Kaie in too much to do something that drastic, and the characters she's been interacting with in Sunberth have been a huge influence on that. That being said I wanted to give a brief explanation on why exactly I haven't been so quick and efficient with my recent replies.

This season outside of Mizahar certainly holds its challenges. I've reached that step in my life where many decisions need to be made within the next month or two that will define my future. These decisions are ones whose choices need to be considered seriously with time and a hell of a lot of thought. Of course as I'm sure you've all guessed I'm talking about college. I've been doing the search throughout the year, received what money universities were willing to throw at me, and now it's time to start sitting down and planning my life. Somehow I'm expected to tell everyone exactly where I'll be in the next four years and onward. I've got my major(s?) all picked out at least, but I've still got plenty of work ahead of me.

Now the purpose of this post to my scrapbook is not to be some sort of foreshadowing to the abandonment of my responsibilities here. I have absolutely no plans of leaving Mizahar nor any to neglect threads and projects. This is just a courtesy notice to those actively involved with me. I try to be very blunt and direct with you all, so I figured this was the best and most open way to share this information. To anyone I've yet to get back to, don't kill me! I swear I'll get to everyone slowly but surely soon enough! Your patience is so greatly appreciated! :D

Kaie
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Kaie on March 14th, 2016, 8:20 pm

Kaie
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes