PM to join [The Drunken Fish] A Dangerous Intervention (Amora)

When a thief is caught in the act, Kaie is forced to decide whether or not she wishes to step in.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A lawless town of anarchists, built on the ruins of an ancient mining city. [Lore]

Moderator: Morose

[The Drunken Fish] A Dangerous Intervention (Amora)

Postby Kaie on March 2nd, 2014, 5:36 am

3rd of Spring, 514 AV
18th Bell

Goddess, it was a damn mystery how she had managed to survive as long as she had. Despite her more recent (and often unintentional) stumbling into mischief lately, the young Myrian woman indeed lived long enough to see her eighteenth name day the day before. It had been an eventful one for sure. She still had the bruises to prove it, but once more she was falling back into old habits and frequenting the only familiar tavern in the city. A musty, decrepit looking spot nestled right beside the docks full of drunkards almost as foreign to Sunberth as she was. The lights were dim and those that hadn't passed out on the spot were jovially singing old sailing songs, a cheap prostitute always lingering nearby as casually as a knight in Syliras had in the Rearing Stallion. The scene left something to be desired, and for a moment she missed her old bartending job in the Fortress City of Peace as blasphemous as it felt to admit. The Drunken Fish was a shyke hole to be completely honest. The bronzed savage needed her fix though and it was as good a place as any to get it.

"Ale?" She asked the man behind the counter suddenly, her lip curling in distaste as she stared down at the contents of her mug. Her fiery amber eyes flickered up quizzically to the pompous, charismatic bar owner, and his expression was equally perplexed.

"It's what ya ordered ain't it?" The beer bellied entrepreneur accused with a distasteful twist of his mouth. There was something unwelcoming in his eyes that made her hands twitch with the urge to make a fist, but common sense said otherwise. It was always this way no matter where she went. She knew the look all too well. There was always a hatred that arose in people when she stepped into a room full of barbarians. Their eyes shouted their thoughts about her without a filter, and they made sure she got the message loud and clear. You are not welcome here. Years away from home had made it grow old, but that never stopped them from quitting the practice.

"It's...Watery." The bronzed woman gripped the handle of the mug and swirled the liquid around, her expression obviously skeptic. Instead of that craved sense of bitter comfort that left her forgetting exactly how many she'd had, it was almost uncomfortable to swallow the bizarre tasting liquid.

"Take it or leave it, Savage."

Lately people here were starting this terrible habit of getting on her nerves, and though she'd heard it countless times before, Kaie couldn't help but curl her fingers against the wood of the table. Behind here there was another burst of drunken laughter and the clinking of mugs, followed by some howls "ah shyke!" as alcohol splashed everywhere. The crowd of sailors was just as rowdy as the night before, and the night before that for that matter. Whatever the reason it was clear Sunberth's denizens had very little reservations about their behavior under the influence. And...why was that girl lifting her skirt up over there?

And they call us uncivilized...

"Best you can brew?" The owner folded his arms across his chest and said nothing, but the sudden tension in his body clearly conveyed his answer."Then I take," Kaie responded with a smug grin, raising her mug in a mocking sort of toast to the disgruntled man before tipping it back shamelessly. With a ceremonious clink the container met the counter and was slid right on back to the bar keep. A family of Copper Mizas followed close behind. That put a far more friendly smile on old Father Manowar's face. Promptly he took her mug and coins and went right to her service. When he had gone, the eighteen year old ran her hands down her tired face, the weight of the last few days visibly taking its toll. Nothing a little alcohol couldn't fix, she assured herself. Yet even she knew Sunberth wasn't the place to accidentally blackout in. Not with the all the strange (and often violent) criminals she'd seen roaming in broad daylight.

How do they even survive here? How can you ever let yourself trust these people?

To that internal question, the answer was simple: you don't. And even with that fact she knew she'd never make it in this world alone. Sooner or later she'd have to figure something out and quickly. Myrians weren't born to become neglected corpses bleeding out in barbarian streets like these. Their destinies were for something greater, they all knew. A life and a world far more savage. Their Mother commanded it.

"May Dira have mercy on my petching soul," She muttered cynically, grinning to herself as she took the handle of the brand new mug brought to her. "Let Akajia watch my ass in the night, and the Goddess Queen keep my blades sharp." And with that she took another generous drink of the much frothier ale and enjoyed every drop. What a sight she surely was.

Deductions:8 Copper Mizas.

Kaie
Player

Words: 1635197
Joined roleplay: May 9th, 2013, 3:13 am
Race: Myrian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 7
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) Riverfall Seasonal Challenge (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Amora Jade on March 9th, 2014, 4:12 pm

It had officially been three days since the dreaded winter season had passed. Finally things were beginning to heat up a bit and nothing was covered in the awful white blanket of snow anymore. The streets were becoming more crowded by the day, filling the young thief with the confidence she missed and needed to thrive. The beautiful intoxication of Spring was already taking over, made obvious by the abundance of birds overhead.

Amora had been on the streets for several bells, simply enjoying the bit of heat and sunshine that seemed lost for so long. It wasn’t until the sun had hidden behind the buildings that she decided it was time to go home, but maybe stop for a drink on the way.

The dark haired girl began to make her way towards her favorite tavern, The Pig’s Foot. Three buildings and two turns away from the establishment she could already hear the crowds inside, the sound grew louder and louder as she approached. Once she set eyes on the building, she decided it wasn’t worth fighting the crowd that poured out of it to get a drink.

Well.. plenty of taverns ‘round here. I guess it wouldn’t hurt to try again.” Amora turned her back to the crowded place and started walking through the alleyways and streets in search for a less-filled building to enjoy herself. Normally the abundance of bodies would serve her well, but she simply wanted to sit quietly while downing a mug, or three, of ale.

The girl kept walking in a search for a not-so-crowded place to enjoy herself, and eventually found that her feet had led her to the docks. Her heart raced a bit at the sight of the water, if she were to fall in she’d be dead before anyone would notice.

“Aye meet me at The Drunken Fish after ya’ finish yer’ job!” Amora overheard a two old men talking as they stepped off their ship, but kept walking to avoid getting too close to the ocean.

“Yeah after all dat’ hard work a nice mug of ale will do me some good!”

Ale?” She stopped in her steps and watched as the men said their goodbyes and one walked into a building near the docks. “Why have I never heard of this place? Been livin’ here my whole life..” Amora followed the man inside and was immediately given her answer. Most of the people inside of that tavern weren’t from Sunberth, and weren’t the normal kind of people one would see in the city. It was like all the odd races of Mizahar were gathered in this one building to drink together.

The thief felt a bit uneasy and outnumbered, but kept her composure to the best of her ability. “They like drinks just like I like drinks, that’s somethin’ right?” Amora forced her nerves to calm as she made her way to the bar, reaching her hand into her pocket to find some coin.

What the hell?!” She was shocked as she found her pockets to be empty. Apparently staying on the streets all day attracted someone’s attention enough to pick her pockets. It was unusual for her to be taken advantage of so easily, normally she would have been paying more attention than that.

Sighing the thief looked around the establishment in search of an open pocket to plunder. There were plenty of drunken sailors around, all of them loud and shrewd. “Eh, guess I just gotta take my pick of the bunch then.

Amora noticed a scrawny old man with a bulging pocket sitting in a chair with his back to an open table. He was so busy telling his “war stories” that she was sure he wouldn’t notice her. The girl swiftly made her way between the groups of people and made way to the open table behind the man. Once she had taken her with her back to him, she slid her hand backwards into his pocket and grabbed onto his change purse.

The thief was right, the old man didn’t notice her at all. What she hadn’t considered was the huge brute that sat opposite him that he was sharing his stories to.

“Hey you! Who do you think you are? You can’t just go ‘n take things outta people’s pockets!”

Immediately the two men sprung to their feet and closed in on Amora, each of them with their choice of weapon drawn. “We’re gonna make you pay for that!”

Amora stood and backed against the wall, unable to find a way to shake them. “Here! Take your petching coin back! I don’t need it no how!” The purse was thrown from her hand onto the floor at the old man’s feet.

“You think you’re getting out of this that easy?” The brute continued towards her.

All the girl could do was close her eyes and accept her fate. “Oh this familiar feeling..

Note2 Silver Mizas and 5 Copper Mizas were taken from her.
OOCFunny story, I wrote this two days ago like I said I would, then got on today and realized I never posted it. -_- So sorry about the wait!

Amora Jade
Pronounced Thief

Words: 165569
Joined roleplay: September 28th, 2011, 10:53 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Donor (1)

Postby Kaie on March 12th, 2014, 12:12 am

With a gentle tap the mug returned to the surface of the counter. She ran the back of her hand across the corner of her lip, amber eyes watching Manowar as he paced leisurely back and forth before her. Thus far it had proven to be a solid night for the tavern, and like every dock hand Kaie had ever met, they had evidently made a beeline for the nearest drinking establishment. With all the labor she'd watched them do from her window she couldn't rightly blame them. Yet though most of them were as foreign to the city as she was, their whispers permeated the space all too loudly behind her. It was always the same. Always. The accusations, the violent, immoral reputation. Goddess, they treated her like the bronze glow of her skin was some sort of stigma.

The door to the tavern swung itself open and closed quite often when she paid attention to it. Bodies piled in, drunken ones stumbling out. Most were whores, privateers, slavers, and merchants as far as Kaie could tell. A group in the corner had already begun their own slurred rendition of a sailing hymn spoken in a language she did not comprehend. She turned in her seat and cocked a curious brow at them, a smirk tugging at the corners of her lips when one with his arms around his buddy lost his balance and hit the floor face first, taking down his friend with him. It was right when she did scan the crowd she saw something interesting unfolding. A girl surrounded by suddenly very angry men.

The young woman sat there for a few ticks, taking another drink from her mug before she shockingly lost interest in the beverage. Of all the eccentrics and intoxicated fools doings gods-know-what that room, Kaie's fiery gaze focused solely on one single detail: the flash of two weapons torn from two guys' possession. Never in her life would she had thought she'd put down a drink so fast. In a few ticks Kaie had crossed the room to find herself standing behind the two brutes, her tongue probing the inside of her cheek with a rather unimpressed expression upon her features.

"You boys don't mind if I even the odds, do you?" The jungle woman growled, the furious voice of an unsheathed sword following not a moment later. The tip of her gladius shot out to prod one of the men in the back to ensure she had their attention.

OOC:Not worries! And sorry this one's kind of "eh." I promise the next will be better. :)

Kaie
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Amora Jade on March 15th, 2014, 3:57 am

Why does this keep happening to me? It’s like the easiest-looking targets are always the most difficult…

Amora stood like stone while she looked at the weapons the two men held. All she had to defend herself was a short little dagger, there was no way she’d be getting out of that situation by fighting. Maybe running? If she tried to run towards them they’d cut her in two, but if she tried to jump over either of the tables beside her they’d be sure to be quick enough to plunge their swords through her back before she could even get all the way on top of one.

The odds of her escaping this situation with her life were stacked completely against her. All the thief could really do was stare at them wide-eyed. They didn’t look like the type of men who would be willing to make a deal with her in exchange for her life; hell, they didn’t even look like the type of men she was used to seeing at all. The older one she pick-pocketed had slit-like eyes and there was a faint pattern on his wrinkled skin that seemed to resemble scales. The younger man had deep blue skin and was huge in every way. The weapons weren’t even needed for intimidation at all, they must have had them just for show.

No matter how hard she tried, Amora couldn’t seem to peel her eyes away and run, it was almost as if her body was frozen stiff and nailed to the wall. “Goddess help me…

The sound of a woman’s voice was the only thing that finally forced the thief’s gaze away from the men. “You boys don't mind if I even the odds, do you?"

Thank you!” The sound of her weapon unsheathing rung in the thief’s ears in a way that she never expected. That sound, for once, actually calmed her nerves. It was a damned miracle that someone in a city like this would be willing to step in and help a girl in need.

Amora was able to peek through the men and see who was helping her. The woman had bronze-colored skin and dark eyes, but didn’t seem too unusual compared to the most of the other people in the tavern. Luckily the girl didn’t know anything about Myrians..

Immediately Amora took her dagger from its holster to give herself a bit more protection if needed. (As if it’d really actually help.)

The younger man jumped a bit and turned to face the intruder once her sword made contact with his back. “
Who do you think you are? Just go away! This is none of your business girl!” The man swung his arm towards the Myrian as the old man proceeded towards Amora. “You take care of zzat one, I’ll get zze thief!” The old man’s voice had an odd tone to it, making his foreign profile more eminent as he pulled his sword above his head and let go of an evil laugh.

The thief jumped away as the sword came swinging down. “You can’t kill me!” Amora laughed as she dodged two more of his blows. Luckily the old man was slow enough for her to have the advantage, regardless of the weapons.

OOCAfter reading how I write, you should neevverr be worried about being "eh"! :P
Amora Jade
Pronounced Thief

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Donor (1)

Postby Kaie on March 21st, 2014, 7:31 pm

Upon the turn of the colored man, Kaie took a step back in anticipation of a merciless counter. Instead it was merely followed with indignant words and an angry stare. Then again perhaps she had spoken too soon. Just when Kaie had quirked a brow, lips parting to dish out another reply to the brute, the armed hand swung recklessly toward her middle. With very little time to react, the female let out a defensive snarl and jerked her gladius laterally. Metal struck metal with a force powerful enough to rattle through her bones, forcing her to grit her teeth to keep from losing her focus. Then with the Akalak's sword thrust far outside her body, she returned to a more familiar style of combat. Within a flash her heel had shot out to smash into the man's chest, which consequently send him hurtling back into his comrade.

The Myrian cursed under her breath and shook out her sword wrist, glowering all the while at the first to engage. Then her fiery gaze swept to the thief, who thankfully had her own weapon drawn, and gestured for her to come closer. Naturally she could turn down the window of opportunity and allow herself to suddenly be cornered if that was her choice.

"Well. You sure know how to pick them don't you?" Kaie laughed bitterly at the girl though the emotion did not reach her eyes. In her amber gaze there was only a heat of primitive rage and focus as they remained locked upon the aggressors. The older man shouted something obscene at his ill-footed companion, who make a quick effort to separate himself and turn back to the two women. However there was a moment that the candle light flickered strangely across the older man's skin, giving the illusion of scales. The sight was enough to cause the Myrian to noticeably tighten her grasp upon her weapon, eyes narrowing with pure hatred. Yet they needed to be smart and she was still teaching herself the virtue of patience. Thus far it was a lesson hardly learned.

[/color] "You can handle yourself, yes?"

OOC:Oh, please! You're just fine. :) Sorry for the wait on this one!

Kaie
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Kaie on March 21st, 2014, 7:31 pm

Was a Double Post from Above.
Last edited by Kaie on April 8th, 2014, 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kaie
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Amora Jade on March 28th, 2014, 4:26 am

Amora had surprised herself with being able to hold her own in the fight, even if he was an extremely old man. The foreigner brought his sword as fast as he could towards the thief’s head, forcing her to jump backwards and hit the wall. To her unusual luck the younger man had smashed into his partner and forced his sword to become stuck in the wood directly above her. It missed the top of her hair by one measly inch.

With the distraction, the girl was able to meet eyes again with the kind patron who had interfered with the commotion. The dark skinned woman motioned for the thief to escape the tight space. Naturally she took the opportunity, it was completely obvious that the woman had no intentions of hurting the thief, while the men did.

“Well. You sure know how to pick them don’t you?” A bit of humor in the chaos was nice and a small laughed escaped her lips, though her attention was still held by her attackers.

I guess I do..” Amora muttered the words as she watched the men struggle over the chairs and each other to stand back up. They both were cursing loudly and obviously becoming enraged towards the women.

“You can handle yourself, yes?” The words caused the thief’s face to turn red. Amora knew very little of how to handle a weapon or how to protect herself at all. Her usual instinct would be to run, and that’s exactly what she planned to do.

The younger man started towards them once more while the older one attempted to pull his weapon free. Instinctively, the thief began taking her steps backwards towards the exit.

Umm.. not exactly. I think it’ll be easier to jus’ get outta here!” The moment the last word escaped her lips, the thief turned to back to the scene and ran out of the establishment. She hoped that the other woman was following her, it wouldn’t sit easy in the thief’s conscious if she were to turn up dead.

OOCSorry that this is so delayed and short, I’ll try my best to do better.

Amora Jade
Pronounced Thief

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Donor (1)

Postby Kaie on April 11th, 2014, 12:33 am

It didn't take them too long to untangle from one another and return their concentration to their quarry. The younger of the pair grunted something obscene before he began to barrel toward them again. For several ticks Kaie's sights were locked solely on the older man, noticing once more than undeniable, dim shine of scales when the candle light rocked his way. He hadn't emphasizes the "s" in the words he spoke before, which would prove he's either a half breed or has worked to eliminate the fault in his speech.

My gift to Dira will be him before anyone else, The female Myrian thought darkly, eyes narrowing murderously in her target's direction. Her muscles were tensing with anticipation of conflict. The younger man was closing in. She'd need to act fast. Exploit his ego. Use his bull rushing style against him. A side step and I can have him run through like a butchered pig.

"You ready?" She growled lowly to the woman beside her, glancing back too late to realize she was no longer close but reeling away from the fray. The Myrian's brow rose but not a word was said in light of the thief's suggestion. Kaie clutched her gladius and grit her teeth, eyes flashing from the oncoming sword to the path of the woman's retreat. A sudden thunk ahead implied a blade had successfully been removed from the wall. Uneven odds. "Myri petching dammit!"

Not a tick later there came the valiant forward thrust of a sword toward the Myrian's middle, forcing the female to react quickly with a mere side step off center. Then with a cry she bashed the blunt side of her gladius down upon the passing blade, forcing it downward before she made a wicked wipe back at the attacker. A flinch was all that made the difference between a severed throat and gashed upper arm. Blood streamed from his flesh freely as he stumbled back with a yowl. By then his fellow comrade had joined, too. Steel clashed steel with an intensity that made Kaie's teeth grind. By sheer will she managed to intercept one of the Dhani-blooded's downward strike with her own sword, though her arms shivered for superiority against his more experienced force. This time the tables had turned and a foot was delivered into her abdomen.

The Myrian's back smashed off an idle stool, sending her cascading to the floor where she rolled twice before she could get a handle of herself. Gods, did she feel the bruises coming on. Then again were these not the very circumstances the Arena of Ancients back in Taloba had trained her for, to built up her endurance for pain for moments like these? With a grunt a sword was swung down at her, but a barrel roll in the opposite direction gave her room to both avoid the attack and find her feet. Then it was her turn to back pedal like mad until she had found her way out the doors and into the streets.

"Are all you thieves so skittish in a fight?"

OOC:No worries! As you can see I've been struggling to stay on top of things myself.

Kaie
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Amora Jade on May 21st, 2014, 5:35 pm

Amora didn’t run too far before she decided to look for the presence of her hero for the day. When she realized she was running alone the thief decided to stop and wait, hoping that maybe she wouldn’t take to long to catch up to her. Sure enough the sight of the dark skinned woman emerged from the doorway as she easily caught up to the thief.

“Are all you thieves so skittish in a fight?”

The young girl laughed as she began to run beside her to escape the area, “Only us smart ones. Some decide they want to fight, usually ending up a lifeless pile of flesh and blood before they can even get a single hit in.” Although she may not have been completely correct with her statement, she was pretty sure there weren't many thieves out there who could actually fight. If they could they wouldn’t really need to be thieves.

Out of curiosity and worry the dark haired girl decided to look over her shoulder to see if they were even being pursued at all, and to her disappointment they were. The older man stayed behind, positioning himself on the outside of The Drunken Fish so that he could watch the action as the younger man closed in on the pair quickly.

His large stature made it easy for him to take long strides with a great amount of power behind each step. “Uhhh maybe we should split up. He can only chase one of us at a time.” Out of fear that he might actually want to chase her instead of the one he was fighting before, Amora decided to make a deal. “Whoever he doesn’t chase can catch up and take him down from behind or above or whatever. We can help each other out to get away from him.

The thief was running out of breath as she spoke and hoped that her partner could even hear a work she was saying. The blue-skinned brute was catching up, they needed to act quickly. Amora knew that if he were to chase her she could possibly lose him in the maze of homes and other buildings that littered the area, but if he were to catch up to her before the other woman did, it would be the end of her.

OOCI just realized our entire thread has us apologizing to each other through OOC spoilers. :P I have a lot going on over here so my posts will be pretty delayed, but hopefully not as badly as this one was.

Also, I was thinking we could have him chase Kaie since he probably wants to show her up in a fight and all. Amora will eventually catch up and help. Two on one seems like good odds.

Amora Jade
Pronounced Thief

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Donor (1)

Postby Kaie on May 23rd, 2014, 5:30 pm

The Myrian shot several shameful glances over her shoulder, teeth grit with palpable irritation. She could already make out the two shadows in the tavern's doorway. No doubt they'd be on their tails within ticks. Gladius tight in her right hand, every instinct in the savage's body screamed for her to stop and turn, to face the enemy head on. Logic and humility reminded her she wasn't nearly as good with a blade as she liked to think she was. If the thief was unwilling to help her even the odds, Kaie hadn't much choice.

Bet you never thought this would be you, running away from a battle like a petching coward. Your clan would wish a craven like you dead, She thought grimly as she fell in with the thief. In light of what she had to say to the Myrian accusation, Kaie understood that perhaps cowardice was a part of a thief's trade as much as risk. Such was not the case for the jungle-born. This retreat was shaming the Goddess Queen. It was wounding the proud warrior. It was blasphemy. Had the young girl at her side not suddenly offered a plan that played to both their abilities, Kaie probably would've stopped dead in her sprint to face the sword.

"Sound plan, but he's an Akalak. He won't go down easy," She found herself saying between breaths, reminding herself of the green monster she had sparred with back in Riverfall. Even she had to admit their race was full of excellent specimen, this young male included. "If you've got a blade, put it where it'll count." The Myrian stopped her run suddenly and turned toward the oncoming blue-man. His massive feet shot plumes of Sunberth filth behind him in his wake, his sword clutched in his large hand like he was afraid he might lose it otherwise. Hopefully the thief was still well on the run. She'd need to be if this was all going to work.

I don't know these streets to ensure I can catch up to wherever they run in time to gut him. She might. If she deceives me and decides to ditch instead to save her own hide, let it be. I'm the one he wants now. I swung my sword. Just before the Akalak had gotten too close in his pursuit, Kaie broke into a dead sprint again. She was wild, shoving her way between people where the streets were crowded, turning corners at the very last second if only to hope the young male would slow himself down trying to keep up. She dashed between shady vendors and dark alleyways.

Eventually not even she knew where she had come and which direction she was headed. So very lost was she within the maze of Sunberth, she was sure if they Akalak didn't get her first, the city would swallow her whole. Then again...she couldn't feasibly run forever could she?

OOC:Haha you're right! But no worries about delays. Just post whenever's convenient. I promise I don't concerned about that stuff. Real life comes first. Anyhow, hope this sufficed to what you had in mind! :D

Kaie
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Next