Location [Syliras Location] Windmount Stables

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

[Syliras Location] Windmount Stables

Postby Dovey on February 10th, 2017, 5:23 am

33 Winter, 516 AV

Dovey savored the breeze across her face as she made her way through one of Syliras' few open-air spaces - the courtyard just inside the main gates. Having just left the Welcome Center, she clutched the parchment note she'd been given tightly in one hand. She was to give it to this Serena person, and then she'd be assigned a job.

In due time Dovey found her way to the stable pasture. She slipped through the open door of the nearest barn, and breathed a sigh of contentment as the strong, wholesome smell of horse flooded her nose. From long rows of stalls on both sides came the sound of the animals shifting their weight, blowing air contentedly through their nostrils, or grinding hay between their great flat teeth. Towards the end of the hall a stablehand stood forking hay into the stall of a tall black stallion. Dovey cleared her throat loudly, moving towards him with an open smile.

The stablehand didn't look up until he was finished feeding the stallion. When he bolted the stall door shut and turned to her at last, though, he seemed friendly enough. He bobbed his head in greeting. "Yes, miss? You need something?"

"I've been sent to work here," Dovey replied, nodding to him politely. "I was told to speak to Serena?"

"Right you are," the stablehand replied, storing his pitchfork in the wheelbarrow beside him and giving her a friendly wink. "Serena's looking after a new foal in the second barn, I'll show you the way." He set off at a brisk walk, trundling the wheelbarrow along before him. Dovey followed, admiring the horses.

Soon they reached their destination; the stablehand pointed out a curly-haired woman standing in the open doorway of a stall, observing the occupants intently. "There she is," the stablehand said, patting Dovey on the back, and left with his wheelbarrow. Dovey approached Serena, clearing her throat halfway there so as not to startle the horsewoman. "Excuse me, but the Welcome Center people sent me to get work here."

Serena nodded in acknowledgement but didn't turn. "Did they give you a note?" Her tone was cordial, if brisk. Dovey handed her the slip of parchment from the Center, and Serena took it, skimming the contents. "Excellent. I see you have experience, but not a great deal." She glanced over at Dovey for confirmation, and Dovey nodded.

"Yes - I worked in a stable for a while, but I mostly did basic tasks. Grooming, feeding, mucking out stalls..."

"I see," Serena said thoughtfully, turning back to watch the two horses, the mare and her foal, inside the stall. Dovey peered around her shoulder; the foal, coat dark with fluid, was rooting all along its dam's belly in search of milk. "You do know how to exercise them? Any experience in training?"

Dovey shrugged. "I've helped teach foals their basic manners. Watched other people train 'em too, of course. And I used to work the ponies when they needed it."

Serena nodded. "Well, I think you'll be a good hand to have about the place. I'll start you at five gold mizas a day. Welcome to Windmount..." She glanced down at the slip of parchment in her hand. "Dovey, is it?"

"Yes'm," Dovey said.

The horsewoman tsked. "Oh, call me Serena."
"Common" "Fratava" "Pavi"
Dovey
One unlucky girl

Words: 221497
Joined roleplay: December 31st, 2016, 10:42 am
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1