Award Sal Mander is July's Featured Character!

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

IC News travels slowly in Mizahar. Fortunately there is a constant stream of news from around campfires, from caravan to caravan and from merchants to merchants. Within this forum lies the best of the best of this talk. Also, within this forum, OOC news from the staff and players can be found. This forum requires all posts to be 'approved' by a Founder before they are displayed. So if you post within, be patient. Your post did display - it simply will not show to everyone until approved as actual 'news'. Please keep all Introductions, Status Updates, and various other discussions in their appropriate forums and leave this area for game news!

Sal Mander is July's Featured Character!

Postby Gossamer on July 2nd, 2014, 6:55 am

Hello Fellow Mizaharians!

Keeping with our tradition, the Founders Circle and Regional Storytellers are proud to announce that the Featured Character of the Month July 2014 is Sal Mander! Sal is an incredibly interesting character lurking in Lhavit. He has a lot of good qualities, some bad qualities, and manages to make his way in the world growing stronger and better at what he does as he goes along. In addition, Sal's player is a fabulous writer. So if you are looking for threads in that region, be sure to tap him on the shoulder. We feel a lot of people would be enriched by Sal's presence in their RP lives. Please take a moment to read his interview below and congratulate him on this prestigious award.

The Interview

1. What drew you to Mizahar first and foremost? How did you hear about us and most importantly what made you stay?

Christmas decorations found their way back to the attic, while the last remnants of a New Year's hangover began to fade. It's the same every year, quietly cursing at the obscene amount of food consumed and money spent, while guiltily scribbling in a journal you will probably only use for a month, some crazy notion regarding gym memberships and other varied and terrible ideas. However, this year would mark a different sort of resolution. "I need to be more creative," I told myself. I love my work, but in a world of blueprints and engineering, there isn't much room for flair. You either do it right or you don't. Meanwhile, despite earning the nickname 'Snake Hips' on the soccer field, there was little else in terms of creative outlets.

Writing is something I've always enjoyed, since the short stories about time travel and dinosaurs as a kid, to best man speeches in more recent years. But like a distant uncle, the cool one that listened to the Stones and never forgot your birthday, it was something I only visited occasionally. My resolution was to remedy this and write more consistently. Why? Simply because when I do get around to writing, I thoroughly enjoy it.

Mizahar was one of several sites I originally investigated. What made it stand out was the lack of more common fantasy races that seem to be mainstay inhabitants of most other worlds, and the other sites were mostly crap. Apart from one where everyone was playing as cats. Not lions and tigers and such, but, you know, domestic cats with litter boxes and fish treats. I'd probably have joined that one but really I'm a dog person and not crazy. Anyway, orcs and elves are all very well, but I was more enthralled at the idea of looking a chaktawe in the eye, or wondering what a jamoura would have thought of Daniel Quinn's Ishmael. I can't say the Tom Cruise drykas did much for me, but otherwise I was hooked rather quickly. Beyond the initial draw of diverse races, I particularly liked the premise of a much smaller population, still reeling from the Valterrian. It makes the game more accessible, encouraging you to start small and build up, rather than a grand sprawling world of armies, kings, and dragons and so forth.

I've neglected to mention why I chose a writing community rather than go it alone. Firstly, I think the isolation of writing for oneself is the very reason I never kept it up. There's a romantic image of the tormented writer toiling away at a typewriter alone for days, lost in his craft. But I'm my own worst critic and without thread partners waiting on a reply, I'd would eventually edit myself into oblivion. Hence the second reason, collaboration. It's the joint threads where I really find myself engaged. Seeing how your partner interprets your actions and words. I particularly like to set up certain, let's say, opportunities, where my partner has Sal at their mercy, just to see how they roll with it. It really is much more fun when your character's well being is in the hands of others, and the reason several months later I'm still writing.

2. You picked Lhavit for your starting city. Lhavit has a history of revolving door moderators and is often more likely without one than with one. Do you find this troublesome and how do you navigate your way around it as a PC when its time to get plots going?

I started in spring just as Lhavit's most recent moderator went missing. I hope she's okay by the way. Do you ever wonder about people who just drop off the internet? I mean, usually they just get promoted at work or pregnant or something. But every once in a while I like to think someone just decided to sell all their crap and move to some obscure part of the world. As for Lhavit, the seasonal goals, quests and almanac were already up. The HD approved my gnosis and job request, while visiting moderators Madame Trickster and Lady Catastrophe have both been a big help with any other issues I've had, (there were many). Then of course there are the graders who have done a grand job keeping on top of threads in Lhavit.

Regarding plots, I've more or less stuck to smaller more manageable stories with a handful of partners who tolerate me. I'm sure that with more experience and practice I would like to branch out, take over the world, invent the gnosis in a bottle etc. But for now my first season here has been about establishing my character. In that regard, I really can't say I've had any problems in Lhavit, apart from that one time I someone managed to delete a lengthy post before hitting submit. Perhaps, while I'm sure it's optimal to have mods throughout, it's also testament to the flexibility of the game that you're not necessarily hindered by not having one. As I said, others have stepped in to help when needed, while to me it seems the game provides enough information that you can get going if you're resourceful. Either that or I've grossly misread the rules somewhere.

3. One of the reasons we picked Sal was due to the fact that Sal has a truly beautifully flawed well designed character concept. He tries to do the right thing and often succeeds, but at the same time he’s really not good at certain things and that shows in the way you portray him. How did you come up with this character concept and what was your thought processes when you designed him?

Character creation was particular difficult for me to begin with. My first draft had Sal as a guy who shows up in Lhavit with amnesia. Original right? It's a great plot device when done well, such as Dark City or Planescape: Torment. Wow. Planescape was just such an epic game by the way. Anyway, I realized that the whole amnesia thing was lazy, a tool to buy me time to think of a more detailed and clever character and fill in the gaps as I went. But the harder I thought about trying to come up with a cool character, the less I liked him. The solution was simple however.

Back to square one, where I essentially took my first draft and mentally burned it. Like a colon cleanse, only less fun. Instead, I looked at the world we're playing in and wondered who best to traverse it with. I mean sure, I could have been a noble knight in Syliras, installing justice with a big sword, or a sneaky thief stealing stuff and backstabbing my way around Sunberth . I'm not saying these aren't viable options by the way. But it just kind of hit me. What about the regular guy? It might sound boring that you take what you think is an average pedestrian and tell his story, one where he goes to work, earns money, buys food, goes home etc. But take that ordinary guy and throw him headfirst into Mizahar. He WANTS to be ordinary, insofar that he's comfortable with his lot in life. Sure, he dabbles in reimancy and his job has room to become interesting, but essentially he plays it safe. Then slap a gnosis on him, turn his world upside down and sit back and watch. The classic everyday man tackles adversity plot. Tom Hanks would undoubtedly star.

For me it's really an interesting concept to see how everyday people react when they're thrown into extreme circumstances, like when mother's go ape lifting cars to save children or Rick in The Walking Dead literally biting a man's neck off. How far can you push them before they break? What lengths are they willing to go to to protect their loved ones? When does the line between good and bad begin to shift and fade? It's compelling as Sal's writer to think about stuff like that, and in doing so I think you certainly end up putting a little of yourself into it. There's going to be things you draw on from your own life, questions you might have, and through your character you just kind of explore some avenues you might have gone down, if that makes sense. Sal gets a gnosis right at the start there, and if you step out and look at that at its very essence, there's room to play. A gnosis can become something that's happened to you in life, be it something that was positive or negative, that in some way had a great effect. How is Sal going to deal with a big change like that, one that was forced on him? How is he going to interpret it? Will he master it for his own benefit, or crumble under the strain? I'm asking more questions than I'm answering, but you get the idea.

For those reasons, it's why after waxing lyrical about the diversity of races in Mizahar that I opted to play a human. It was just closer to home, to my own comfort zone while I grow in confidence and ability as a writer, before I branch out and explore beyond familiar surroundings. I suppose that's cowardly in some ways. But I say to you, is it not as much of a challenge to try and play a human as a real human?

4. Many people often have problems getting their PCs to act the way they designed them to be. The PCs take on a life of their own, if you will. Has this ever been a problem with Sal and how does he rebel against his design? Do you like these differences or are you constantly fighting to draw him back in line?

As I read over a reply to a thread, I'm thinking about what I want to do, or have Sal do, or just think about what I think he would do. But after reading the thread and considering it for a few moments, I have this little routine I carry out before actually writing anything. It basically involves stepping away from the computer and leaving the room. I'll make a sandwich, start the laundry or play with the dog for a few minutes. Regarding the sandwich, you can bet your last dollar it's going to have bacon in it. If not, it means you can add a ride to the store in that little list because I'm buying more bacon! When I come back, I'll sit down and just start writing.

I try not to plan too much in terms of a response to threads, though I'd be lying if I didn't admit I at least knew what general direction I was headed in. You could say I kind of wing it, but essentially want I'm doing is writing spontaneously from Sal's perspective. Er, one example is where he's following a chaktawe thread partner called Winona up a flight of stairs. Sal can't help but take a sneaky look at her rump as he goes. Just a spontaneous reaction that popped into my head, as it was a spontaneous action in Sal's head. Just stuff like that, though now I'm wondering if Sal leering at women was the best example. It was a nice rump. Sure, I'll stop and think about things when I'm describing places and people in my threads, but Sal's reactions are always, shall we say, honest, in that I rarely edit them.

One thing I have noticed is a tendency to write away from Sal's perspective on occasion. In his first thread, he doesn't actually participate until the second post. There's another thread where I'm talking in detail about some crook in Lhavit called Burton Tally, just to paint the picture for that scene and situation. I enjoy slipping into that mode as it were, as those are the times where I do stop and think, how do I want to describe this NPC walking down the street with a hen under her arm, or what color is the sunset on this particular day. There's more purposeful deployment of words and phrases that I've had stored in my head. Whatever feels right at the time.

So I guess it's a combination of the two. Sal is pretty much his own entity, while he lets me play and practice my writing every so often. The two of us are symbiotic, and I think it works. Does any of that make sense? It makes sense in my head, but I'm not sure I'm not just spouting nonsense at this point.

5. If you could list Sal’s greatest fears and greatest desires, no matter how deep they are, what would they be?

Sal has two fears above all else. The first is something we all experience in life, trying to figure out what our place is. For the most part, Sal was content when it was straightforward and consistent. Not overcome with happiness and boundless joy, but content. Then the whole gnosis thing has forced him to reevaluate who he is. What is he meant to do with the abilities Ivak granted him? This isn't a world where people get bitten by spiders and choose a life of fighting crime. He's really only just starting to try and address these questions. But the uncertainty terrifies him. Consider this. He came from a stable family, with good parents and siblings. He spent his youth reading books, filling his head with stories, facts and fiction, (none of them authored by Dan Brown). As an adult, he lives, works, exists. The books offer an escape, but he has the security of being able to close them. There's no danger, people get into a routine which is another way of saying a rut. Then he's thrust into this situation where he can't just close the book. There has to be meaning to it which means he has to address it. And in doing so, it rattles the very foundations that his previous, unexceptional and secure life sat upon.

The other fear is being alone. As I said before, Sal came from a well structured family. But his parents grew old and passed away, while his two older brothers moved beyond the confines of Lhavit. He has friends, but essentially he is alone when it comes to family. Sal I think comes across as a little standoffish at first. It might be that his work kind of puts him in a frame of mind where he's always focused, and that comes across as a little cold. But he's actually a really sociable guy. In various threads, he's not afraid to talk to people, be it the old guy on a bench or that girl at the hospital. I really wish I'd taken that thread further, where he and that girl are just sitting there and shooting the breeze. Er, anyway, my point is that he is a friendly guy and likes to socialize. But now he sees himself as this guy with a dark secret. If he reveals the nature of his gnosis, are people going to turn on him? Will he be an outcast?

So it's kind of Catch 22. He's scared of finding out what he really is now, but also he's too afraid to tell anyone about it. Have you ever been in a situation where you've had to carry a secret that was a burden, but you couldn't share? Just like that.

Desires? Um, I think that he would want to have met someone by now, and started to have rebuilt that family safety net around himself. But I think he knows that's off the table until further notice. It's even more of a desire since he knows he can't have it. Though it would be interesting in the future if the opportunity came upon him but he's struggling to commit. Typical male. But yeah, I think he wants what most people want in life. Security and companionship. And HBO. Seriously, it's insane how many good shows they have.

6. In interacting with the players and NPCs of Lhavit, can you tell us some of your favorite parts about the city atmosphere as a whole and some of your least favorite parts?

I'm going to start with the least favorite parts. Lhavit has a strange time frame going on where people are always napping and shops open for a few hours at a time, like Spain or something. That's just something I keep forgetting about, and really I don't mention it at all in my threads. I'll be vague when it comes to clarifying the time of day, opting for 'morning' or 'afternoon' rather than getting more specific. It's really not a least favorite part of Lhavit but just an admission of my own laziness. As for particular places, I have not really explored in great depth the various locations as of yet. That's right. A season in and I've still only visited a library and a blacksmith.

If there is one gripe I have though, it's the Aramanthine Gate. Now this gate is an entry point to the city, or at least one of the five peaks. But the impression it gives is it's a frequently used access point. From the gate, the stairs are carved into the mountain side all the way down and it's a neck breaker if you miss a step. My problem is that the wilds are quoted in this area as being extremely unforgiving. Think Black Friday at Macy's but with more trees. It kind of throws me off a little that there's plenty of through traffic, when really you wouldn't head out that way if you had any sense. And where's all the incoming traffic coming from? Maybe I'm just reading it wrong, but I think the gates and the wilds kind of clash.

As for players, I've been extremely lucky so far with thread partners. True, my first two went absent, as is prone to happen, (if you don't reply within a week, I kill you). But I'd be doing the others a great disservice if I didn't mention Brandon 'The Bat' Blackwing and Winona, (the girl with the rump). These two are pretty much the reason why I'm still playing, as both have tolerated my odd sense of humor, countless PMs and at times extended delays in replying to our threads. But through their characters and writing, they've made my experience here an enjoyable one, as well as having challenged me along the way.

It's something I mentioned right at the start, about collaboration. I'm sure that if I started trying to write a book, or just short stories on my own, I would never have gotten to July. By having other people to interact with, bounce ideas off and just generally be entertained by their own take on situations as they arise IC, is what for me makes the game extremely fun and has kept me encouraged and determined to write. So I'll always be thankful to them, and hope that I can continue to find great thread partners in the future.

7. What's the one situation you couldn't imagine your character in? Why not?

Sal is afraid of heights and ghosts, so I'm going to say it's unlikely he'll be up any towers in Black Rock.

8. When you sit down to roleplay Sal or any character for that matter, what is your end game in playing? What is your motivation for being a roleplayer to begin with? People RP for all sorts of reasons and its always really interesting to know why some of the best roleplayers continue roleplaying.

Sal's end game? It occurred to me that at some point I would want to wrap his story up. Blame Robert Jordan for that, getting twelve or so books into his series and then dying. Sure, that other guy stepped up to finish it off, but it's not the same. If George Martin doesn't hurry up, so help me god. But yeah, I don't want to do a Hollywood by churning out more and more sequels with Sal in his sixties, played by Sylvester Stallone, still practicing reimancy and chasing ghosts. There has to be a well rounded ending.

You know, when you really invest yourself into a series of books or a show, I find it hard as you near the end to accept it's nearly over. Damn, the end of Battlestar Galactica was hard to swallow, not just because the finale uncharacteristically sucked, but because in my opinion it is one of the greatest shows of our time with some truly memorable characters, whom saying farewell to was a indeed hard. But say farewell we must, to quell this human need for closure since, ultimately, all things must come to an end.

So his end game would be to have told a good yarn, to have pushed and pulled him through a variety of devious plots and situations and watch him rise, fall, and rise again. I could not say how long he'll last, but I know that I definitely want to explore his future for a good many years. In the end, it will most likely depend on thread partners. As I said before, I've been lucky so far in having people who make me want to keep writing. But I suppose that without them, the opposite applies.

As to writing at all, it stems back to that kid from earlier who used to write about time travel and dinosaurs. Now that I think of it, time-traveling dinosaurs would have been better. I've always loved to read and write, and like so many others have dreamed about one day becoming a published author. For now though, the more attainable victories for me are to finish threads and gain XP. There's a real sense of achievement when you log in to find a thread has been graded. Sure, it's not going to compare with making the Best Seller list in the literary world, but it's a victory none the less. It means that despite my previous failures to keep writing, each thread I finish is a reminder that I can do it after all.

9. If you could equate Mizahar to a well cooked dish, what food would it be? And on the same token, if Mizahar is a dish but the seasoning is not quite right, can you tell us what else you’d like to see added to get the seasoning just perfect? This could be a skillset, a system, or even perhaps a missing deity or tech level? We’d like to hear your thoughts on what would make Mizahar spiced just right to most players.

First off, I'm a terrible cook. Not quite to the Hot Pocket standard of terrible, but pretty bad. Actually I take that back. If you can fry it and it's made of bacon, I'm your man. So Mizahar as a dish? I could be lazy again and go for pizza, likening the different races to toppings, while the player base is the stuffed crust or something. Er, but I wouldn't necessarily consider a pizza as a well cooked dish. I mean, pizza's pizza right? Stick that sucker in the oven and you're golden. Mizahar has more class, like a prime piece of steak, (medium rare of course). What's particularly alarming is how I've pondered this question most above all others. But it's late, I'm tired, and Gossamer you forced me to do this interview so I'm just going to toss Mizahar into a delicious and famed English breakfast that has sizzling eggs that you can dip your toast in, basking on your plate next to a pair of fine and juicy sausages, endless strips of thick cut bacon, (Danish is pretty much the Liam Neeson of bacon), plump fried tomatoes, flavor filled mushrooms, hash browns, beans and coffee to wash the whole damn thing down.

Seasoning? Whack some pepper on those eggs. As for missing stuff, I'd like to see a god who looks over children, or just orphans perhaps. And the grader system is a great thing by the way, but perhaps it could do with being more widely advertized. Maybe it is already and I've just not being paying much attention. It's true, I get around the site with about as much pace as second class mail.

10. Does Sal have an overarching goal or a higher purpose? If so, what is it? And if not, would you like to see him eventually join global plots or plots that involve bigger more elaborate storylines? Why? Why not?

How many more questions are there? I'm hanging on by a thread now, as the prospect of work fast approaches.

Okay, Sal's overarching goal? I think I kind of covered that already insofar as I intend to put him through his paces and so on. I mean, I'd like to go further with the whole Azenth thing, since controlling magma would be epic. Coupled with his reimancy, I think that would lead down some interesting roads. If Ivak had a higher purpose for Sal beyond the talents that come with the gnosis, that's not something I've really thought about too much as yet. It's kind of presumptuous at this early stage in Sal's development to think he's going to be important, but I'm not saying he doesn't have the capacity to be. But baby steps, okay?

But certainly down the road I'd like for him to be more involved in bigger quests. If Sal does continue to grow in terms of his gnosis and in his search for his purpose, then Lhavit alone might not be a big enough canvas as it were. And quests means meeting new thread partners which is always a good thing.

11. This question is for you, a soapbox if you will, to jump up on and preach to the choir. What would you like to tell the PBASE now that you have their undivided attention? Do you have anything else to share with them?

Alright, first and foremost, I'm going to apologize for giving weak answers to questions nine and ten. They were perfectly good questions and I'm doing the Featured Character honor a great disservice by not completing them. I don't want to appear ungrateful or arrogant at all, but sadly I'm really out of time here and thought it better to hand in what I did manage to finish.

So I'll finish here by once again thanking Winona and Brandon for being great thread partners, and all the mods and graders that have helped me along the way. I encourage anyone who is looking to roleplay with someone to just shoot them a PM. I had a couple of people not interested in playing with Sal or simply did not reply. But I also got a few who were, so you just have to put yourself out there and see what's biting. That's life in general isn't it? You just have to put yourself out there and remember that not everything is always going to go your way. Just cherish the moments it does and try to traverse the times it doesn't with style ;)[/indent]
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6356204
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Gossamer on July 2nd, 2014, 6:58 am

Just so you all know, Sal's interview came in late because I was very late getting it to him and he is a super busy guy irl. However, he did say that he deserved a cookie for answering ALL THESE QUESTIONS.

I think you guys know what to do with that request. :)

BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6356204
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Ink on July 2nd, 2014, 6:58 am

Congrats Sal!!
Ink
DS in Sahova

Words: 259510
Joined roleplay: December 3rd, 2011, 6:15 pm
Office
Medals: 1
Featured Contributor (1)

Postby S'Essy on July 2nd, 2014, 7:00 am

Congratulation.

COOKIEImage
Unless I promised one, I can not accept any more threads at the moment! I'm sorry.
ImageImage
S'Essy
Markus' advisor

Words: 267181
Joined roleplay: February 3rd, 2014, 6:16 pm
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

Postby Tallis on July 2nd, 2014, 7:02 am

CONGRATULATIONS! Have cookies:

Tallis
Player

Words: 131572
Joined roleplay: March 13th, 2012, 3:23 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Pandaemus on July 2nd, 2014, 7:03 am

A really big cookie for a really big deal! Grats

Common - Nader-canoch - Hallucination Voices - Crail

Pandaemus
Skitsofrantic!!!

Words: 179130
Joined roleplay: October 23rd, 2013, 4:17 am
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Donor (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Ragdoll on July 2nd, 2014, 7:11 am

Very well deserved award. Grats, Sal!

Riverfall - Behind the Waterfall - Mod Request Thread - Codex - OOC
Because of RL issues and a lack of energy that I can devote to Mizahar, I've decided to step down as an AS. I'm sorry to leave so suddenly, but it's truly been fun while it lasted. Hopefully I can come back some day.
Ragdoll
To err is human; to forgive is feline.

Words: 53704
Joined roleplay: May 15th, 2014, 2:19 am
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Catastrophe on July 2nd, 2014, 7:45 am

Wonderful interview! I'm glad to see you receiving this award. You definitely deserved it what with your amazing threads and what not.

:) I'll give you a hug instead. It seems I'm all out of cookies.
Catastrophe
I'm Your Biggest Nightmare!

Words: 112948
Joined roleplay: March 25th, 2014, 10:42 pm
Office

Postby Radiant on July 2nd, 2014, 8:10 am

Congratulations Sal mander! :D
Radiant
Sailor Radiant

Words: 781936
Joined roleplay: July 2nd, 2013, 1:39 pm
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Contributor (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Brandon Blackwing on July 2nd, 2014, 9:33 am

Congrats Sal! Have some Duvel or Trappist ;) You surprised me, there was no Bores Son in the interview whatsoever. I guess I'll have to do it. All Hail Sal 'Bores Son' Mander! :p

Btw I love your odd sense of humor :D
Fighting Style and Techniques

Credit for this awesome sig goes to Estrellir Konrath
Brandon Blackwing
The master thief Incognito

Words: 1496963
Joined roleplay: September 8th, 2013, 3:24 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Next