Closed [Fighter's Pit] Instructor and Mercenary (Revy)

Two women, two swords, one thrilling spar!

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

[Fighter's Pit] Instructor and Mercenary (Revy)

Postby Rachel Messer on June 6th, 2014, 9:52 am

8th of Bell, 1st of Summer 514 A.V, Anthonius Fighter's Pit

Ah, the first day of Summer, a new season, new goals, new events, and by Priskil, Rachel truly hoped for the best to happen, not just for her, but for Syliras and all of Mizahar, may Her light touched all those who would accept it... and vanquish all evil beings. Curling her lips into a wide grin, the instructor marched with sure steps into the fighter's pit, clad in her usual half-plate armor with blue engravings and clothing, in her back was her longsword and a steel buckler shield perched on her left hand.

Enthusiastically greeting the various fighters and fellow instructors in the Pits, it earned her various reactions, from a kind greeting in return to a raised eyebrow at the instructor's euphoric presence, it only spurred the blond woman further as she half-jogged to her usual teaching spot, put down her backpack and longsword, prepared her advanced training dummy and elaborate training post, then picked up a blunted longsword from the rack.

After about five chimes of preparation, Rachel put the sword upside down with the tip vertically touching the ground while she put both of her hands on top of the hilt, she was ready for the day. Hopefully, some new - or old -students would see her today. The early Summer air, cool breezes whisked pass her skin, leftovers from Spring. Inhaling a deep breath and exhaling, Rachel examined the pits, who shall be her student this fine morning?

"Common" | Thoughts

Note: Radiant here, Syliras have an AS, so I'm getting her back up. ;)
Rachel Messer
Light of Hope

Words: 141244
Joined roleplay: December 1st, 2013, 2:46 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Revy Hiroe on June 6th, 2014, 8:18 pm

It had finally become Summer. A season that the woman didn't like at all. She had many bad memories tied to this season. She wanted to laze around in bed, next to her lovely drykas girl, yet she also felt the need to go out and do something. Choices, choices, choices. She had to get out of the bed and go teach herself how to use her glaive. She was still making a fool out of herself when she used that weapon, something she just had to change.

So with a sigh, she heaved herself out of bed and put on some basic undergarments. Yet again she was faced with a choice. Should she go out in her leather armor, or should she put on her plate? Both were attractive. The leather was not nearly as hot and gave her more freedom of movement, yet the plate gave her far superior protection and she still had to get used to it. She just stood there for a chime or two, trying to make up her mind. In the end she still went with her plate armor. She put on all of the parts, except for the helmet. She wasn't going to need that anyway.

Just before she left, she grabbed her glaive and hung it over her shoulder. She left soon after, making her way to that fighter's pit. So far she had only been able to go in the evenings. She had been working in the mine due to what happened last summer. Each time she thought about that kelvic, she got miffed again. She just couldn't ever forgive that... that thing. Thanks to that bloody petching animal, she now had two rather visible scars. If she could rewind time, she would have gone differently about that situation, yet she couldn't do that so she just had to deal with that.

Revy thought about dropping by the windmount stables to see Rosalind, yet she thought that it would be better to wait a day or two. She should have a lot of free time on her hands now, especially since she decided she wouldn't take any contracts for now. It helped that she still had a nice stack of mizas, so she could afford to take it easy for a season or two. However, if she wanted to get some more clothing, she should go and get a job soon.

The mercenary arrived at the fighter's pit around half a bell after the eighth had tolled. She wasn't particularly looking around for a sparring partner, but more for an empty spot where she could swing her glaive around. She didn't like using those blunted weapons that were present there. Most of them didn't have the same point of balance, and some were even lighter or heavier. She wanted to use her own weapons because she was going to use those in real combat anyway. And since she was only going to use those, it'd be best to learn how to use them by just using them. She didn't want to adapt to the difference in weight and balance.

While looking around, the woman saw a rather familiar figure amongst the people. She couldn't exactly remember where she new her from, so she just assumed that she had fought that person before. Maybe she'd be up for a quick spar. Training on one's own can prove to be fruitful, but a proper fight is where you would learn how to wield a weapon the fastest.

As she approached the woman, she saw that she was still rather young. "Oh crap, I do hope she'll give me a good fight.", she thought to herself. Maybe it'd be better to train by herself, but she was here now, so she could just as well ask. "Hey, wanna do a spar? I wanna get familiar with this glaive and I ain't really lookin' forward to doin' it on me own., she said letting her sunberthian accent trickle in without noticing.
Revy Hiroe
Emotional rollercoaster

Words: 394139
Joined roleplay: August 18th, 2011, 7:13 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

Postby Rachel Messer on June 24th, 2014, 4:18 am

Ah wonderful, looks like the first student of the day had arrived. It was a woman in plate armor, her form and stride clearly showed she was a warrior, she was carrying an odd weapon that Rachel couldn't name, but had seen a couple of times. It looked like a spear... crossed with an axe. Rachel mused mentally. Inhaling to fill her voice with confidence, the blond instructor approached the taller dark-haired fighter, The tall woman being a warrior already gained some respect in Rachel's eyes, was she a Knight? It didn't matter, Knight or no, Rachel would serve the good people of Syliras through her teaching expertise.

"Well met, Madame." She gave the woman a nod, "I am Rachel Messer, Instructor of the Fighter's Pits," Oh, she wanted a spar, not a lesson, well... Rachel supposed she could have a bit of warm-up before beginning her day, "Of course, I can honor you with a spar." The instructor examined the weapon, apparently called 'glaive', closely. This should be a good chance for her to familiarize herself facing against an opponent who wielded a weapon that had longer reach that the longsword, "Peculiar weapon you have there, a glaive I see, well I hope I can provide you with a good spar." She spoke, polite and courteous as always.

Rachel took her position and assumed her partner would do the same, she unsheathed her longsword then held it in her Middle-guard stance, nodding at Revy to signal she was ready, "Alright, let us begin." She urged for her to make the first move.

If there was something she noticed from Revy, it was her accent... it was undoubtedly Sunberthian. So, a fellow escapee from the city of anarchy it seemed, but since she just knew this woman chimes ago, Rachel didn't feel it was polite to ask, perhaps later, after the spar.

"Common" | Thoughts

Note: Radiant here, Syliras have an AS, so I'm getting her back up. ;)
Rachel Messer
Light of Hope

Words: 141244
Joined roleplay: December 1st, 2013, 2:46 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Revy Hiroe on June 25th, 2014, 1:36 pm

So this girl was called Rachel. Seeing how she was an instructor here, she should be a decent match. Yet she still had this feeling as if she knew this girl from somewhere. She just couldn't lay a finger on it. Well, it wouldn't matter, not for now. She had a spar on hands, so she had to focus on that, especially since she still wasn't too familiar with this weapon.

"It's a handy weapon. Got quite a bit of reach and is more versatile then a spear.", she replied. But it wouldn't be wise to use it in this spar, at least not unsheathed. She always made sure to keep her weapons sharp, because that was to pay respect to their crafters. And after having looked around, she couldn't find a blunted one. That meant she had to unhook the shoulder strap from the sheath as well.

"I'll keep this 'ere weapon. Dun see a blunted one. Dun worry tho, I'll keep the blade sheathed.", she said as she started to unhook the shoulder strap. It was good that the sheath also had one small strap that went around the back of the blade, securing the sheath in place. Without that she couldn't have used it. "Oh and seeing how yer a longsword instructor, I might ask you for a spar where I use one too. Wanna see what kind of level you at."

Should she use her mark, or not? It wasn't really a fight where she was going for the win, but more just to learn how to use the weapon. Nah, she should just fight on common ground. If she was going to get serious, she would just grab a longsword and beat the girl with that. It was the only weapon she was really confident with.

Taking up her stance in front of the instructor, she aimed the tip at her ternum, her right hand half up the shaft, the other at the tip. This was the position she felt the most comfortable with. It allowed for easy stabs at the easiest to hit places and makes it easy to protect herself against an offense as well.

But apparently it was up to the ex-mercenary to take initiative. Well, it would make for the best practice right away. She did the one move she was confident of, a simple jab aimed right for the girl's sternum. She let the shaft just slide through her right hand, using her left to move it. It allowed for a bit decent control and a good amount of force. But it was still quite slow, even for a glaive wielder. Revy knew this, yet she knew that she just had to get past this point. She shouldn't get disheartened at her own inability to wield this weapon properly.
Revy Hiroe
Emotional rollercoaster

Words: 394139
Joined roleplay: August 18th, 2011, 7:13 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

Postby Archailist on August 14th, 2014, 5:25 pm

Rachel :
If you return, PM me and I can give you your grades.

Revy :
Skills:
  • +2 Observation
  • +1 Socialization

Lores:
  • Rachel: Long-sword Instructor
  • Gnosis Marks Can't Show You How To Use Weapons

Notes :
Shame it didn't go on longer, I gave all I could! Great starter though!

Was I a little too nuts in my grading?
If you've got concerns, just call me.
Archailist
And the potter said unto the clay, BE WARE...

Words: 942771
Joined roleplay: November 28th, 2013, 8:20 pm
Blog: View Blog (1)
Race: Pycon
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Overlored (1) Donor (1)