Avalis

Goddess of Visions, Divination, and Foresight.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Within the confines of this form lies the tangible proof of the prayers of the faithful throughout Mizahar.

Avalis

Postby Gossamer on January 2nd, 2013, 4:24 am

Avalis

ImageAvalis is the Goddess of Visions and Divination. Her sister, Rak'keli the Goddess of Healing, and she live upon Konti Isle for most of the year along with her mate Laviku, the Sea God. Avalis is the mother of the Konti women and tends to mark each of one of them at birth with a gift. Though Avalis is less powerful than her sister, her visions touch every aspect of the living, opening up pathways to possibilities and revealing truths that can otherwise be obscured. It is said that Avalis was once the queen of Laviku's Otani, and that he froze her in her current form and brought her forth from the sea so he could more truly love her.

Avalis is generous with her gifts, though rarely does she grant her gnosis marks to non-Konti individuals. Once marked, Avalis' followers enjoy a distant relationship with her, rarely having face to face contact until their third or fourth mark.
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6357243
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Avalis

Postby Synthira on January 5th, 2013, 7:07 am

OOCSynthira prays to Avalis after killing someone who threatened a child. Her crime can be found In detail at the following link.

http://www.mizahar.com/forums/topic28818.html

Synthira walked on, her horse Siberus nuzzling at her neck. It was night, and the konti had grown used to praying as dark fell; it had become a ritual she could not sleep without. Tonight, however, her sentiment was slightly different than was typical. She had more to speak of than praise and gratitude. Tonight, she had something to ask of the goddess. She knelt at the edge of the water near the piers, looking out into the crashing waves. Here, at night, she would not be disturbed. She could not see the island of her home from this city, but she knew that Avalis was there. She lived on the isle for most of the year, and Synthira yearned to be back. It was a yearning, she knew, that could not be. She felt it was the will of Avalis herself that she had left the island, for the Goddess could see much further and much more than the konti could. There was something, surely, that she was meant to do or see, and she held faith that the Goddess would guide her.

"Avalis, tonight, as all other nights for as long as I can remember, I thank you for all you have given me. Without your many gifts, I would not have been able to survive, let alone come as far as I have in all of my skills and endeavors." She touched the Seer's lily at the back of her neck, smiling as she did so. "I thank you especially for the gift I was given at birth. It has been of use often, and I know that it shall continue to aid me in my path. My other blessings are by no means of any less import. I thank you for everything you do, small or life changing. They do not go unnoticed. " She frowned, unable to voice her gratitude to such a powerful presence. The konti had done this often, but it had become increasingly difficult as she thought more about just how much Avalis guided her path. So many open opportunities, so many bursts of insight, could be traced back to her.

"I have little to give you in return, though what I may give I offer freely. On occasion, I pray to other gods and goddesses in their areas of expertise, mostly because I don't wish to burden you with things you would consider petty. However, as it always was and ever shall be, my true devotion lies with you. You need only ask and I will be a soldier for your causes. I would do what I could to promote them and ensure your wishes are carried out to the best of my ability." As far as Synthira had imagined, she would do what the Goddess asked. She was, after all, the mother of the Konti and therefore the giver of Synthira’s life. It was unlikely that the sacrifice her life should be asked of her, and if it was, she did not know what her answer would be. But that was a question best saved for another time, as the moon was rising in the sky and there was much left to say.

“I know that I deserve no favors, and that I should not ask for one. But I must beg for your forgiveness. My crime is great, and I know that it may not be easily given. I…” Here she trailed off, staring blankly into the water. Her voice had risen, her emotions becoming hard to control. She had felt many emotions through others, thanks to her gift. Until now, she had believed that hate and love were the most powerful of all, perhaps excepting fear. But this regret was stronger than any emotions she had felt. With every waking hour, she wished to turn back time. It could not be so, of course, and such thoughts had no use. Surely she was not the first konti to sin, nor would she be the last. “Avalis, I have come to regret my mistake greatly. At the time, I told myself that it was in my own defense, and in defense of the child. If I had been thinking clearly, I am sure I could have thought of another way. I ask your forgiveness, though I may not deserve it. I will do what it takes to prove myself, if that is your wish.”

She brushed the tears from her eyes. She should not be crying, sniveling like a child. She ought to be brave; she had condemned herself after all. Some part of her knew that the Goddess would be more forgiving given the circumstances. It was not as though she were a cold-blooded killer, murdering for the fun of it. At the time, she believed it was the only way to save a young child. She could think of nothing else to say that would not sound like bargaining. All that was left was to wrap up her prayer with the same words she had always used. Her mother had taught her those words, back when her age could be counted on a single hand. She wondered with a pang if her mother, somewhere far away, was uttering the same words as they used to do together.

The thought gave her courage, and her voice did not break as she continued. “Avalis, give me the foresight to see and prevent injustice and wrongdoing. Let me do what is right at all times, and allow me to see the truth when others do not. Let doors open so that I may do what you ask of me. Give me enough sight to know when I have been blind, and to protect those I love. Where I go, may your blessing follow.” Synthira, after a long silence, walked back to her camp, Siberus not long behind. Her troubles had not disappeared, but they had certainly lightened.
Synthira
Player

Words: 35781
Joined roleplay: November 6th, 2012, 8:51 pm
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Avalis

Postby Thomas Cosa on January 8th, 2013, 3:06 am

24th of Winter, 512 AV

"My Lady."

The solemn voice cut through the gathered silence, his own whisper sounding like an alarm to the young mage. Thomas hesitated, unsure of himself for this first time in a long while. He had always felt so guided, so protected by the Fair Seer, and now, now he felt so alone.

"I am sorry if I have disappointed you in any way, My Lady. You --," he coughed, interrupting his own prayer, "You have given me everything. Without you, I feel no confidence. I am not brave or kind or inspired. Without you, My Lady, I am lost," his voice cracked in sadness, Thomas finally allowing himself to react to everything that had happened of late.

To the torture. To the starvation. To the failure. To everything he had so willingly ignored, knowing it cut him deep. "I do not wish for you to see me weak, as I have been," he admitted, his face burning as his eyes threatened to water. "And I am sorry if I have drifted off the path you intended for me," he whispered, not wanting any of the other apprentices to hear his prayer. Thomas would only allow Her to see him for what he was, how he felt.

No one else would see him as weak or powerless.

No one else had seen the potential he possessed, She had marked him as her own, and he would always belong to Her first.

"Tonight, I ask for a sign, besides forgiveness, that I AM doing what you would have me do. I only wish for you to be proud of me, to have me do your work," he paused, silent.

"May I always be guided by your Sight and your blessing," he said quietly.

"Everything in your name," Thomas finished, silent.

He hoped She would answer, but would understand if She stayed silent. He would trust her the same. Thomas only doubted himself.

Thomas Cosa
What if no one could stop you?

Thomas Cosa
bratty mageling

Words: 385707
Joined roleplay: October 20th, 2012, 9:33 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Contributor (1) Overlored (1)

Avalis

Postby Nira'lia on January 8th, 2013, 1:42 pm

Winter 40th 512 AV

This was the Opal Temple, the place Nira’lia had always dreamed of visiting. She had heard many tales of what one could learn in such a place. Her lips curved to a soft smile as her eyes drifted across its beautiful white walls and the general calming ambience of it all.

She had already spoken to Merida, had already asked about the available classes. Nira’lia wanted to take each and every one of them, and she actually had the money to do so. Her only problem was time. She wasn’t sure she had any. The Konti was aware that the Knights had a tight watch on her because of the fact that she had unwittingly revealed that she knew their secret—that the windoak was more than just an ordinary tree.

The Konti exited the Opal Temple and stood right outsides the door. She looked at the twin towers and marveled at their beauty.

Where was Avalis, she thought? She wanted to meet her mother, to speak to her…

“Mother Avalis…” she said in a whisper. Nobody was around and she was free to pray to the wind. “Please tell me if it is really my fate to head back to Syliras and live my days striving to be part of the Knighthood. I have always wished to be part of the Opal Order, to spend years in Mura mastering the art of medicine. I would really wish to stay here, even for just enough time to do so… to master the art. If it’s really my place to be in Syliras, I will have no complaints. But… may I not at least strive for my own dreams first?”

The Konti sighed. It was a painful one, and she felt resentment within her. It had died down slightly during the quest, when she had seen the Knights and their valor. She had gained respect for them, but it was not enough to want to dedicate the rest of her years to them.

“Please, help me. Is this really my fate? I cannot trust the words of a Knight to tell me that it is so, I can only trust yours.”

She didn’t know if Avalis could even hear her. She had uttered the same prayer so many times before, but she wondered if being on the mother’s isle would make a difference. Nira’lia forced a smile and looked at the ground, contemplating on asking around the isle if they knew exactly where Avalis stayed. Being a newcomer, she did not even know much about her own country.

Nira'lia
Healer & Seer

Words: 386960
Joined roleplay: December 7th, 2011, 9:17 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)

Avalis

Postby Thomas Cosa on June 22nd, 2013, 2:34 am

1st of Summer, 512 AV

Thomas walked the length of the balcony, watching the apprentices scurry below on the cavern's floor. The clank of metal hitting metal, the whirling of spinning gadgets, the squeaking of wheels; the sounds of creation and productivity echoed around the lab, a dull roar reaching the young pulser's ears.

"Master Apprentice," Thomas breathed, a small smile gracing his features. Spring had brought him a promotion, and confidence -- something he had thought Sahova had claimed long ago.

"Thank you for your guidance," he whispered into the air, smiling. He had everything to thank Avalis, ever since she had decided him worthy to bear her mark. Thomas was convinced she guided his every move, every sense of intuition a gift from her.

"You showed me my own potential, you taught me how to See," he continued his prayer, tracing the outline of his gnosis mark, "And I thank you for that, I thank you so much."

He turned back towards the the ever present noise, "Keep me aware, and ever seeing, My Lady."

"Everything in your name."

Thomas Cosa

Thomas Cosa
bratty mageling

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Avalis

Postby Eleret on July 27th, 2013, 7:20 pm

OOCFound this in my notes, apparently forgot to post it. Oops!

Spring 1, 513 AV
occurs in Sightseeing and Sea Kings

"Mother. It feels so strange to make this first day's prayer away from home, but I know I am never too far away for You to hear. I hope all is well at home on the Isle, with You, with the Konti people, and with my family both there and abroad. I have asked before already, but in the turning of the year I make this request anew: May You bless my journey, wherever it may take me; and may You always show me that which I need to see, when I need to see it."
Eleret
Player

Words: 179278
Joined roleplay: October 21st, 2012, 12:33 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Donor (1)

Avalis

Postby L'orlei on August 7th, 2013, 10:50 pm

In this post, L'orlei whispers a prayer to Avalis.
Timestamp: 4th of Spring, 513 AV

The path she was on was uncertain. If she could look back into the past, as many of her sisters, she would realize she had ventured onto it hastily, and without caution. Clyde was a mystery, and his power was even more mysterious. He said it was used to harm, but L'orlei thought she could use it to heal. But she could not see into the future.

"Avalis," she called out to the goddess, the mother of the Konti race, The Seer, Please guide me into the future, the unknown."

L'orlei was uncertain. She could not see the future, or the past, only the present, and only what was right in front of her.. and that happened to be Clyde Sullins, the mage who initiated her and set her on the path towards her new future. Was it meant to be? Was this her fortune? She had no idea.

"Avalis, guide me into the future."

Kontinese - Green | Common - White | Tukant - Cyan
L'orlei
Player

Words: 139554
Joined roleplay: December 21st, 2011, 8:03 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Featured Thread (1)

Avalis

Postby Thomas Cosa on January 16th, 2014, 4:41 am

54th of Winter, 513

Thomas' hand sat limply over the window pane, the pulser mage looking over the ever silent bay. It had become almost an obsession, the window; it was his only glimpse of the outside a world, a slim and almost always foggy reminder that there was a world outside of the Citadel. A year and some had been spent toiling and building and magicing away in the caverns of Sahova, Thomas had hardly seeing the sky at all -- or even having the time to think of anything besides animation.

He sighed softly, his breath masking the view for only a second. He was indulging himself, if only for a bit. The window was more of a luxury than he could have ever expected, considering where he was, Thomas hadn't expected to find a window at wall. The Citadel, while inside was a breathtaking piece of Alahaen architecture, was more of a brick outside. He hadn't thought there would be any windows among the dead.

"I'd never thought something so simple as a window could ever make me so...content," he smiled wirily, his eyes glancing down at the empty dock, the ever present fog clinging to bay jealously, perhaps even guarding against unwanted visitors.

How far he'd come.

"I'd have never managed it without you, Seer," Thomas nodded his head in silent prayer, resting his forehead against the translucent glass. "Your gifts, everything You've given me -- everything had led me here. I can call myself wizard now, if anything," his eyes closed as his smile grew wider. His season spent in Ryhsol's city had only enforced his faith in Her, showing him how powerful Her gifts were, "You've always shown me truth, separating my path from the lies, always guiding through illusions and deceit," his mind wondered back to Kit, who had tried her hardest to use her talents against his own, "I've come so far on this life forsaken isle. And it's all thanks to Your guidance, Seer."

It was true, at least to Thomas. Regardless of his talent, or personal drive, the human believed he would be lost without Avalis' guidance, her foresight, and her gifts. He credited her with almost everything he accomplished, and rightly so, or so he believed.

Thomas Cosa

Thomas Cosa
bratty mageling

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Avalis

Postby Orabelle Deepseeker on February 14th, 2014, 4:24 pm

A prayer from the past...

1st of Fall, 506

The young teenage girls ran into her room, her eyes immediately closed and her hands began clasping together. She out herself closer to the bed before starting her prayer,"Hello goddess. I- I don't think you know me but I've come to you because- well, you have sight. You can vision the past and the future. So cool." The young laughed a bit but when she realize how immature she sounded she immediately apologized."Sorry! I'm nervous and fidgety and just need your help. I don't know how much help you can give but I feel. lied too."

She paused, listening to her surroundings before continuing."My goddess, I've heard of your kindness. I haven't met many in Zeltiva but the ladies who worship you mention you a lot. You've given them a wonderful gift. A gift that I someday wish to have when I'm close to you. Lady Avalis, like I've mentioned earlier, I feel lied too. People tuck away the past and hide what they've seen that involves me. I feel like I don't know who I am, like someone has taken a big chunk of me and ran away. It hurts, it hurts that I can't figure out what goes on around me. I can see, yet I still feel blind. I ask that you guide me, please goddess I beg that you guide me." Orabelle began to slowly come out of prayer."Avalis, I will continue praying to you, for my past and my future. Only you know what lies a head of me."
Fratavan|Common|Thoughts

"A Svefra never goes back on their word... never."
Orabelle Deepseeker
Nobody Special

Words: 107184
Joined roleplay: December 26th, 2013, 6:23 pm
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Avalis

Postby Ianthe on September 7th, 2014, 4:40 am

Timestamp: 6th Day of Summer, 514 AV
From The Uses of Fear

With a more measured movement, Ianthe crossed her legs and straightened her spine. Her head bowed as she offered Avalis a short prayer to begin her meditation "Avalis," she began, "I offer You my thanks and look to You to guide me in my practice. Temper my weakness and teach me how to know strength. When I am afraid, as I am this day, I put my trust in You."
Ianthe
Empty yourself and let the universe in.

Words: 51961
Joined roleplay: February 8th, 2013, 3:53 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Next