[Scraps of Est] In the Coulisse

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The player scrapbooks forum is literally a place for writers to warm-up, brainstorm, keep little scraps of notes, or just post things to encourage themselves and each other. Each player can feel free to create their own thread - one per account - and use them accordingly.

Postby Estrellir Konrath on August 8th, 2014, 9:18 pm

Sketches.

So I drew Est and Gwin sometime last week, but only got around to scanning the pics today. My style is by no means perfect, but I enjoy drawing my characters every now and then. The pics are bright, I know, and I blame the scanner for that.

Some of you might know which thread this is from...

I still can't do butterfly wings from memory.

Estrellir Konrath
She Who Finds What Was Lost

Words: 338742
Joined roleplay: September 13th, 2013, 8:24 pm
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 6
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Artist (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Estrellir Konrath on August 11th, 2014, 12:16 pm

Vlog.

As promised, a vlog. Uploading this took the whole morning and I fear YT killed the quality.

I'm fidgeting and probably pronouncing everything wrong, please bear with me. The only parts I cut were overly long "uhmm" breaks because I did it on a whim last night. Also, I almost said "wiki article"...

Feel free to leave comments and/or questions!

Estrellir Konrath

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Artist (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Brandon Blackwing on August 11th, 2014, 6:54 pm

Lovely Vlog, Est!

Too bad time ran out, BUT! Here I am to present you with a couple of songs from which you can choose. I request you sing one in your next Vlog.

• Uninstall by Ishikawa Chiaki
  • Strength by Abingdon Boys School
  • Modern Strange Cowboy by Granrodeo
  • La Divina Tragedia by JIMANG
  • Snow Fairy by FUNKIST
  • Rolling Star by YUI
  • Again by YUI
  • Resuscitated Hope by Komine Lisa
  • Cha-La Head Cha-la by Hironobu Kageyama
  • Shiny Tale by Mix Speaker's Inc
  • Guren No Yumiya by Linked Horizon
  • Hatenkou Robo Dojibiron no Theme
  • God Knows by Hirano Aya

Well, I'd say you have plenty to choose from! Have fun and good luck!

-Bran

Credit goes to Ollic
Fighting Style and Techniques

Credit for this awesome sig goes to Estrellir Konrath
Brandon Blackwing
The master thief Incognito

Words: 1496963
Joined roleplay: September 8th, 2013, 3:24 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Estrellir Konrath on August 12th, 2014, 9:12 pm

More Chat.

Because the Kenash grapevine is insatiable.

(22:56:26) Edmund_Morealis: She should learn Hypno from Eddie.
(22:56:39) Estrellir_Konrath: she should, but would he teach her?
(22:56:49) Edmund_Morealis: If they get close enough, probably
(22:57:01) Edmund_Morealis: If you get his trust, he'll be quite loyal.
(22:57:10) Estrellir_Konrath: hmm, do I sense romance?
(22:57:22) Edmund_Morealis: Adri did too. XD
(22:57:29) Edmund_Morealis: My my, Ed is turning into quite a dog.
(22:57:41) Estrellir_Konrath: he's a player at heart
(22:57:52) Estrellir_Konrath: and so courteous too!
(22:58:02) Edmund_Morealis: Adelaide Sitai, Adrienna Lynint, and now Estrellir Konrath.
(22:58:11) Edmund_Morealis: He just can't be satisfied. >:-D
(22:58:19) Estrellir_Konrath: haha
(22:58:29) M'Wanii: Est Ed your names are far to similar. @.@
(22:58:32) Edmund_Morealis: I'll leave that up to IC development.

Estrellir Konrath

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Artist (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Estrellir Konrath on August 16th, 2014, 10:34 pm

Vlog Two.

I did what was asked of me and made a vlog in which I cover two songs in Japanese and German respectively. It's pretty embarrassing (I don't rap!), but also kind of fun. I actually sing to myself a lot. In the shower and such.

Bran, I have to ask you though... why exactly did you want me to sing? Reading or talking would've done it too, you know.

Original songs:
Guren no Yumiya
Der Kommissar

Now excuse me while I crawl back into my corner...

Estrellir Konrath

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Artist (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Brandon Blackwing on August 17th, 2014, 8:52 am

:) I believe I've heard Der Kommissar before... I don't know when or where, but I definitely have. It was great to see you start to enjoy the singing after a while. Also, I admire your courage, I couldn't have done that I think. Good job!

Why I asked you to sing? I don't know really... I guess I just didn't think of speaking or reading ... My brain works in mysterious ways... :ninja:

Anyways, I'm looking forward to the next vlog. Talk about characters is quite interesting too!

-Bran

Credit goes to Adelaide Sitai
Fighting Style and Techniques

Credit for this awesome sig goes to Estrellir Konrath
Brandon Blackwing
The master thief Incognito

Words: 1496963
Joined roleplay: September 8th, 2013, 3:24 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Adelaide Sitai on August 17th, 2014, 10:47 am

I haven't heard any Falco in a while! Good choice of song. :)
You should sing some more German songs and, I know it's probably a cliché, but my old favourite is 99 luftballons.

I'm looking forward to your next Vlog.

BTW, I love your accent.
Adelaide Sitai
It is easier to look the other way...

Words: 331327
Joined roleplay: September 16th, 2013, 4:10 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Overlored (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Estrellir Konrath on August 25th, 2014, 10:06 am

Update.

My posting pace has slowed down over the last week and it'll stay like that for a while. First of all, I got a job in catering and I'm not used to it yet. It's exactly the kind of work I wanted and so more exciting than I'd ever dreamed it to be. I've already met a bunch of interesting people and worked in amazing places I'd never have seen from the inside if it wasn't for work (ie. five-star hotels). My coworkers are a mixture of interesting personalities, mostly uni students, and altogether nice. It's so exhausting though. I pulled my first 12hr shift at a wedding on Saturday and was as good as dead. But I want to get used to it and get more experience too.

On off days, I caught up with best friends - two I only get to meet every few months since graduation, the third just returned from three weeks of vacation and will spend a semester abroad soon. Naturally I want to get as much time with them as I can.

Between all that, writing has been hard. After work I'm too exhausted to do much. I've also been more interested in personal projects recently, but I promise I won't abandon you guys. I like Miz way too much to leave for good... so I'll be back. Not next weekend because that belongs to an anime convention I've been looking forward to for months (cosplaying for the first time!). But I'll be on and slipping in posts whenever possible. September should be quieter.

Estrellir Konrath

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Artist (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Estrellir Konrath on September 7th, 2014, 8:45 pm

Character Growth.

There are so many things I'd like to talk about here, so many posts in my mind, but I haven't gotten around to writing any of it down yet. I always tell myself to write ic posts before scrapbooking... still not caught up, but I wrote some today. It's probably not a good idea to write a rum-induced post for Ade too.

So I'll talk about character growth. You know, for what seems like a long time I had a problem with keeping characters active. I was more or less notorious for creating lots of alts and dropping them after a few weeks or months. I was even kind of secretive about my identity due to embarrassment. I knew it wasn't a good thing, dropping so many threads and leaving people hanging, but what could I do? When I lost inspiration, I tended to just give up and get hooked on a new concept.

At some point, however, I didn't want to do that anymore. That's also why I detailed my history on Mizahar in the first post of this scrapbook. The moment I decided to be honest about it, I took the first step towards changing it.

Like most good things, the change didn't happen overnight. Still, I think Estrellir is a steady character like I haven't had in a long time. Malia was one. Albireo was another or getting there when I abandoned her. I still get the urge to create new characters and I've lots of ideas, but I'm more hesitant to carry them out. Nowadays I tend to write them into a document and store it away 'for later use' because I doubt I'd be able to give them justice. I've too many ideas for Est alone!

And this is another thing I've learned. When I get ideas for new characters, they all feel more or less the same, kind of stale, more like a type than a living, breathing person. And here's the thing: With every single character, you start from scratch when it comes to growth. I think (and this is my personal opinion) that every new PC can be categorized and sorted into one or two of a handful of types. That's why making alts has mostly lost its appeal for me.

They grow through roleplaying. With every post we add something to their personality, their past, who they are. Every little bit we discover about them makes them grow. I really believe that the more time, thought and words we put into them, the more they take on a life of their own. Take Estrellir: Obviously she was born from the idea of a highly perceptive detective and spy in a society where connections, wits and knowing the enemy are crucial to survival. Now, almost a year from creation, she's managed to upset the Sitai, helped some Freeborn unveil their secrets, got friendly with some Dynasty members and developed a special interest in the Rujaro. She's developed a love for secrets and sneaking around and she thinks she's befriended shadows. At first I didn't really know how to write the pleasant mask she puts on in social circles, but I think I've gotten better at it now. It's seasoned with chocolate, drinking, smoking and topped with a nice bit of drug use. She's taken to acting a little crazy because she thinks it'll excuse her odd habits like sitting on her own desk and she speaks to her assistant in an overly commanding tone so nobody will notice she's actually too nice to her.

There's so much more I could say (and I didn't even get started on my plans for her!), but the point is that she's grown. She isn't your standard guerilla detective anymore, she's become something more. Of course I have bad days and times when I feel she's too much trouble to write, but those plans and that kind of 'alive' feeling is what keeps me interested.

Well... I feel like everyone and their cat realized that before and I just took a very long and roundabout way, but I'm glad to know it now. I'm posting it here so I don't forget. Love and big plans for Est!

To those of you with many alts: I understand how they can be fun, but sticking with a single PC (or even two) and pouring all your thought and ideas into them can be indefinitely more rewarding. Give it a try. I'm sure you won't regret it! And if you don't, that's fine too. After all, everyone's allowed to play this game the way they like.

I'll end this thread on a delicious note. I got a cocktail shaker for my birthday and of course had to try it out immediately (because my mum wanted cocktails...). There was at least one pic of cocktails in my old scrapbook too because I love mixing them. I'm really interested in a barkeeper's work. Anyway, I made a Tropical Blue and two Pina Coladas. The former was already empty when I remembered to take photos, but there was some blue left. Here you go and cheers!

Estrellir Konrath

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Artist (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Estrellir Konrath on September 11th, 2014, 7:14 pm

Heads Up.

Meet my new best friend, Henry the dance pad.
If I take longer to reply, you've been warned.

Also, I just reinstalled GIMP, so I'm going to prettify my CS now
and maybe come up with a Miz banner or two.
(Look at the shiny scrapbook header!)

Estrellir Konrath

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Artist (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) Power Fork (1)

PreviousNext