November's Featured Contributor

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

IC News travels slowly in Mizahar. Fortunately there is a constant stream of news from around campfires, from caravan to caravan and from merchants to merchants. Within this forum lies the best of the best of this talk. Also, within this forum, OOC news from the staff and players can be found. This forum requires all posts to be 'approved' by a Founder before they are displayed. So if you post within, be patient. Your post did display - it simply will not show to everyone until approved as actual 'news'. Please keep all Introductions, Status Updates, and various other discussions in their appropriate forums and leave this area for game news!

Postby Mirage on November 1st, 2014, 2:38 pm

As is tradition the founders and regional storytellers have come together to select an individual who has contributed great amounts of time and personal effort toward the site. This person in particular has done an absolutely amazing job in the city of anarchy. Please help me congratulate Avarice for earning this month's featured contributor!

1. Let's start this off as I usually do. How did you start RPing, and how did you end up here on Mizahar?

I started roleplaying eight years ago (good grief, it's been 8 years x-x) during the summer before my Freshman year of High School. That summer, I was supposed to ride my bike to the high school and participate in summer football conditioning so that I'd automatically be added to the Junior Varsity team. Of course, this was something my parents wanted me to do...and I'd rather be in the room playing FFX. So, instead of going to practice, I'd ride to the library that was halfway between my house and the campus. There I'd goof off on MySpace for two hours and go home.

Well, I met a girl there who ended up being my "summer crush". She roleplayed on MySpace and, due to my being an utter "genius", I decided to learn how to RP in order to impress her. She, being like four years older than me, didn't return the crush obviously...so when that fell through I kept roleplaying. Haven't stopped to this day!

Finding Mizahar was a combination of Google and a recommendation from a buddy of mine. This wonderful person is the author for Ashen Shrike!

2. I remember a few months back when we were first talking about you potentially becoming an ST. I listed off a lot of cities that you could potentially work in, but eventually you came to decide on Sunberth. What about the city drew you in? Why did you choose Sunberth over every other city in Mizahar?

To be perfectly honest, I've always had a thing for Sunberth. And by thing I mean an enormous fixation that was instrumental in the creation of my infamous Nickolai Marin. If not for Roscoe and Vice waving the Kenash banner so avidly, I'd have started in Sunberth as opposed to the City of Decadence.

In particular, one of the things that drew me in was how the city managed to exist, function, and thrive despite it being anarchaic. It's literally the most free city in Mizahar, where one can do practically anything they want! (If, of course, they're willing to get dropkicked by the Mob if their desires are magical or tyrannical.) It's the ultimate city of opportunity and the possibilities are literally endless. Sunberth was like the finest steak, wrapped in the finest cuts of bacon, dangled before my very eyes.

3. You have been an ST now for about a month, maybe a little more, but despite this you have done HUGE amounts of work for the site. Some would say outrageous amounts of work for such a short time span in fact. So what is your secret? How do you keep going, keep developing, keep grading at this ridiculous pace without showing any signs of slowing down? I've heard of some great work ethic but wow you have blown it out of the water!

Dew. Lots and lots of Mountain Dew.

All jokes aside, I'm just accustomed to this pace. I tend to get tunnel vision, so to speak, when I set my mind on something and I'll sink the majority of my freetime into completing whatever goals I set for myself. Right now, I'm motivated; not just because the grading queue is starting at me, but because I've got the awesome folks of Sunberth relying on me. The things that I do, I do for them and I'll burn the candle at both ends getting it all done.

That, and I'm Twistie's perfect little minion. Gotta represent, y'know? XD

4. Besides your work on Avarice you have also contributed a lot to the site as your PC Nickolai Marin. This includes creating post templates, city maps and even stamps! Tell us a bit about your artistic side, where do you get the inspirations for these kinds of things, and where did you get the idea to start doing stamps for signatures?

Well, I've been tinkering around in Photoshop since High School and its become a relaxing activity of sorts. Some people play Farmville, others veg out for a marathon of Supernatural, my thing is derping around on Photoshop and putting together something awesome. And, of course, one of the things I enjoy most is sharing what I do with my friends. I'm not the sort to just clutter my desktop with personal works; I'd much rather lag my computer editing six post templates for a certain Nuit (*cough cough cough*)

Inspiration comes in waves and from a ton of sources. Sometimes, just looking at a PC will result in a "y'know what would look good as a post template...this!" kinda moment. Others, scrolling through images on Deviantart or Google gets the creative juices flowing. As far as stamps go, that was one of the things I did on a previous board. I designed hundreds (literally. Hundreds.) of them and has always been a blast to do.

So, bottom line, I love tinkering in Photoshop and spoiling folks with what I make.

5. I know there is a lot to choose from, but to date what do you feel is your greatest contribution to Mizahar, and to Sunberth? Additionally, is there any chance you can give us a hint to what you have in the works development wise in your city right now?

Oh that's a tough one....hmm...

I'd have to say that my greatest contribution to both Mizahar and Sunberth are the location rewrites that Twister and I have been doing lately. Sunberth has been in a dire need of some touching up and there have been a handful of places that need clarification and whatnot. I feel like I'm opening a window and breathing some fresh air into the city; which is one of the best feelings in the world.

As far as developments go, as aforementioned, Twister and I are re-writing all the locations in Sunberth and adding quite a few as we go along. I'm also hoping to add another organization to the infamous Gangs of Sunberth: the remnants of the magical cult that once ruled the city 60 years back. And, without spoiling too much, the slaver section of the city is going to be amazing soon!

6. We all know that in Sunberth chaos is order. There are no laws, no rules. Pretty much everything is on the table and up for grabs. In a city like this where the number one rule is there are no rules, how is it you can keep any kind of order? I can see it becoming quite a task. Is it ever difficult for you to sort out what is and is not possible within your own city?

The people of Sunberth have a mentality that is collectively known as "The Mob". Basically, everyone does their own thing...until they toe that line that reminds the masses of the tyrants that once ruled them. For the most part, keeping "order" within Sunberth and letting players known what's possible lies in how the Mob would respond. As recent IC history has shown, the Mob has no problem running the most powerful gang out of their Fortress, lynching the leader of another gang, and burning a corner of the city to the ground.

So, there's not much difficultly in keeping "order"; as "The Mob" handles whomever steps way too far outta line.

7. The gangs in Sunberth play a huge role in the cities plots and themes, and lately I have seen you working a lot with them from a development standpoint. What are your thoughts on the gangs, and how they contribute to the overall city plots? Do you have any plans to use them in greater detail in the future?

My thoughts on the gangs is that they are, somewhat, the natural evolution of what an anarchaic city would become. In such a dangerous environment, people band together for safety; amongst other things. I think that the Big Three contribute immensely to the plots of the city, as their whims can have a monumental impact on the player base as a whole.

As far as plans...Yes. The majority of my future plans revolve around the Gangs. As a teaser, calender after calender has described Sunberth as being a warzone for the gangs...but you all haven't seen anything yet.

8. So branching away from Sunberth for a bit, if you could develop ANYTHING in Mizahar, anything at all, what would you want to try and develop?

Well, the thing that I would try to develop revolves around a series of events unfolding in a hypothetical universe.

In this realm of hypotheticals, Good ol'Saggy the God will finally get his in quite the vicious manner. The heart of Aquiras will be returned and the Watchtowers will be restored. However, unlike in the history of our world, the return of the Towers would not mean instantaneous transportation for many.

In fact, it would be limited to only a few: those who bear Aquiras' Gnosis.

That's right, if I could develop anything in Mizahar, it would be a hypothetical Gnosis for Aquiras should he hypothetically return to power. This would, hypothetically, allow his followers to access the Watchtowers and travel all over the world...to the remaining Towers...

9. Chat wishes to know, what is your favorite joke?

Ahem.

What do you call a cow with three legs? Lean Beef.

What do you call a cow with no legs? Ground Beef.

What do you call a cow with two legs? YO MAMA!

10. As featured contributor, do you have any advice for others who are looking to stand where you are one day? Thoughts or words for those who are thinking about volunteering in various forms, or anything you would like to say to new potential ST's who may be reading this as we speak?

Absolutely!

My advice is: "Don't be intimidated"

It's very easy to feel...uneasy around Storytellers; and maybe even feel as if you're not up to par to be one. We walk around with our lovely, bolded/colored names, grade, and proclaim what's going to happen; and to approach us might seem daunting at times. We may seem to be walking encyclopedias of Lore knowledge, but at the end of the day you need to remember a couple things.

We registered just like you. We started asking questions just like you. We learned, played, and fell in love with Mizahar just like you.

Anyone can be a Storyteller. To me, it's not about being the best or the most knowledgeable, it's about having a love for the game and being passionate about it. As an example, if you have fallen in love with Lhavit, then being an ST of that domain means letting your creativity go nuts and having a great time doing it!

So don't be intimidated. Don't be afraid. (We don't bite, I swear...okay...Mirage bites but we've got a handle on that. Promise!) And don't doubt yourself. You're all amazing and every last one of you can easily end up featured or as a member of our team!

11. As always the last question is yours to do with as you please. Here is your mike, your soap box, and the spotlight. This is your moment to shine and say exactly what is one your mind. Tell us Avarice, what do you have to say for yourself?

Thank you.

I've been here for a relatively short span of time in comparison to many, and since logging on for the first time I've had nothing but an awesome time. I've made a mountain of friends and writing with you all is easily one of the top highlights of my day. You all have been helpful, kind, and patient; and there's no better feeling than finding a community that gets you. And that's what Mizahar is to me. You guys understand me. You understand the depths of my Nerdhood and we all have a ridiculously fun time in the process.

So to all the staffers, graders, players, and even you random Bot-12.

Thank you. Thanks for making my time here amazing.

(Also...If you don't drink Dew, you should. You really should.)
Mirage
Truth is never certain

Words: 1231300
Joined roleplay: January 5th, 2012, 8:47 am
Race: Staff account
Office
Medals: 4
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)

Postby S'Essy on November 1st, 2014, 4:00 pm

Congratulation! Well deserved Ava! *hugs*
Unless I promised one, I can not accept any more threads at the moment! I'm sorry.
ImageImage
S'Essy
Markus' advisor

Words: 267181
Joined roleplay: February 3rd, 2014, 6:16 pm
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

Postby Lucian Hill on November 1st, 2014, 4:02 pm

Congrats Avarice!
Lucian Hill
Over many a quaint and curious volume

Words: 51909
Joined roleplay: October 7th, 2014, 9:42 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Gossamer on November 1st, 2014, 4:03 pm

Congrats!
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6356204
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Twister on November 1st, 2014, 4:05 pm

:3

My perfect little minion, indeed. I bet you're taller than me, though. Congratulations! <3
Twister
Justice is Dead, Faith is Blind

Words: 258837
Joined roleplay: November 18th, 2012, 7:01 pm
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Featured Contributor (1)

Postby Khida on November 1st, 2014, 4:10 pm

Congrats!
Spring threads: 2/5 .. | .. Season Goals .. | .. GradersMaxed skill: Observation.
Khida
Player

Words: 574944
Joined roleplay: April 14th, 2012, 11:14 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 4
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Estrellir Konrath on November 1st, 2014, 4:15 pm

Congrats! This is very well deserved and the interview was quite insightful. Keep doing your great work!
Estrellir Konrath
She Who Finds What Was Lost

Words: 338742
Joined roleplay: September 13th, 2013, 8:24 pm
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 6
Artist (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Adelaide Sitai on November 1st, 2014, 4:46 pm

Congratulations Avarice! Very well deserved. :D
Adelaide Sitai
It is easier to look the other way...

Words: 331327
Joined roleplay: September 16th, 2013, 4:10 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets