OOC Info The Cyphrus Gnosis Request Thread

Gossamer has a little converstation about gnosis marks and gives you a way to request a thread from her.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Behind the Waterfall (BtW) is Riverfalls Development and Contest Forum. Designed to support the IC forum in an OOC way, BtW contains The Suggestion Box, all Riverfall's design contests, the Perk Center, and a place for Rivarians - regardless of whether they are storytellers or not - to work on any kind of Riverfall Project they might need. BtW also contains all the discussion threads Rivarians need to support the RP in their city.

The Cyphrus Gnosis Request Thread

Postby Gossamer on November 22nd, 2014, 3:00 am

Gnosis Requests

I've had several dozen requests to run gnosis threads in Cyphrus. I want to run far more than I can because as the inventor of the gnosis system, I'm a super huge fan of it. However, I understand PCs can't readily access gnosis like they can other forms of magic. I want to change that in Cyphrus. But I want to do that in a balanced way that does things the fairest method possible. This was a secret idea. No one's been told or given a heads up. It's up to the players to notice this and act on it or not. Those that really want gnosis marks, can keep reading and follow through.

It's no secret that I run a PC here too. She's been trying to get a second mark for a specific gnosis for 4 irl years now and has had about 6 threads dropped. I've had recent offers of folks to run the thread for me, but that usually comes piggybacked off a conversation of how overworked a mod is or how busy their domain is. And I always have a sense when someone is going to retire or back off and take a break. Those sorts of offers I can't accept in good conscious. It's also hard to accept such a request when I know people out there have no opportunities for such things because they don't know the right people or don't kiss the right ass. It is what it is. I understand that. And in recent times, most of you know that there were a lot of staffers that got in trouble for running gnosis marks for their 'buddies' and bragging about getting them done in two or three days ( usually with no effort ) and that's landed a lot of people off the site because they chose to retreat or retire or were flat out uninvited.

I told you those two things because I want you to understand I know how you feel when you really want a gnosis and there's no hope of getting one because of the lack of staff or the stiff requirements.

I want to try and stop the madness and change that while at the same time being absolutely fair in doing so. I want to say yes to everyone, but I can't. I also want to run gnosis threads for my friends, but I don't want to do so while ignoring people I haven't had the opportunity to befriend yet.

So, starting next season, I'm going to take this thread and use it as a first come first served basis, and run gnosis threads right down the list. You have to meet certain requirements to get a thread ran though. And first and foremost is that you have to read this entry entirely and come to the end to find out how exactly to sign up. If you sign up incorrectly, your post will be removed and everyone who posts after you will be given priority.

However, don't wait until next season to post your request. If you want a gnosis thread, post your request now. Remember, this is going to be first come first served.

Okay, so that being said, how does one qualify? I want you to write a letter to me personally, either entitled Gossamer or Jen... I go by either... and in the body of that letter, tell me why your PC deserves a gnosis thread, which God, and include all your logic, humor, passion, whatever you want to throw in there. The letters must start out "Dear _____" and end with some sort of signature. These are public letters. These are OOC letters.... though you can include IC elements if you want such as passages from your PC's journal, thoughts, or cut and pasted scenes from threads. There is no length requirement, but as a post script in the letter you have to tell me why you think the gnosis system is working or not working. Please include any suggestions you may have to improve it.

Remember, include all those things, and you'll make the list in terms of first come first served. I reserve the right to refuse anyone on any grounds of course. You can make only one request at a time per PC, but once that thread is completed, you can immediately post up another request. Multiple requests will be deleted. Your PC must be in Cyphrus. I will not travel outside my region to run gnosis challenges when there are other storytellers out there.

I hope everyone finds this as fair as possible.

Gossamer
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6356204
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Kaie on February 8th, 2016, 9:24 pm

Dear Jen,

Myri's influence in any Myrian's life, regardless of clan allegiance, is expected and demanded by their culture collectively. Reverence to her is the basis of their upbringing, and most of what they do as they age is almost entirely at her pleasure. This is, of course, what drives their disciplined nation to pursue prowess in areas like weaponry, ferocity in war, and military tactics. I think if anyone knows anything about the race, that's probably the most commonly known fact. Contrary, however, Kaie's life was not solely centered on the lore and legends of the Goddess of War. Before swearing allegiance to Myri, Kaie's clan has a long history preceding her in which Akajia's alleged appearance to an ancestor eventually inspired the philosophies of the Cutthroat Shadow clan. Not only did they name themselves in her honor, but they pride themselves in their utilization of the night to hunt, stalk, and ambush their enemies. Their devotion to Akajia is not well known outside of their own clan members. It is not for shame or fear of judgement that they neglect to mention their reverence. It is a belief that the secrets of the Mistress of Night and her connection to their clan is meant to be protected. These finer details are just as important to who Kaie is in contemporary times as anyone's upbringing in their own real life family, and are thus important to mention. All of this information can be found in this write up for the clan.

Akajia's impact on Kaie is not limited by her childhood in Falyndar. The Goddess of Night continues to be present in her prayers throughout her adventures across the Suvan Sea as well. Upon first arriving in Riverfall, where Akajia is widely worshiped, Kaie actively sought out more information about the Goddess, the Akalak race, and the Night Tower from an Akalak in this thread. Throughout her time abroad there is a bounty of evidence, like the aforementioned thread, to support the notion that Kaie has actively revered Akajia. Three that showcase this argument include this first one, this second one, and this third one. The first two highlight instances where Kaie prayed to Akajia while in realms of darkness before combating perils a few seasons prior, while the third attests to a continued reverence up until the present season. The third is specifically an instance where she voices her routine of visiting the Night Tower at the beginning of most days since she arrived back to Riverfall. Given this lengthy IC history of devotion to Akajia, I thought it might be time to seek out the possibility of Kaie having a chance to earn recognition from the Goddess of Night. I hope that after viewing the evidence I've provided you will agree. :)

Thank you for your consideration,
Kaie

P.S. It's hard to outright say the gnosis system is or isn't working. Instead, I'll point out some of the current system's strengths and weaknesses in order to be fair to its delicate nature. The beauty of the current system includes the requirement of proof that a PC deserves an opportunity to earn a gnosis, and the watchdog nature of staff peers to keep biases and favoritism at bay. I believe these strengths reward hardworking players who continue to make faith as important in Mizahar as it's designed to be. It also keeps the playing field relatively level. That being said, there are some glaring weaknesses that shouldn't go without mention. The main issue, as you've stated before, is the issue of staffing. When it comes down to it, gnosis threads either can't be picked up or must be dropped for various reasons. Don't get me wrong, I'm not here to crucify people who have things in their lives outside of Mizahar that requires more attention. I get it because I've been that person who has had to take a hiatus or two for a portion of a season. That being said, there simply are not enough moderators to pick up the slack when one of their peers has to take a break or retires altogether. Even if someone thinks they can, their domain is probably going to suffer a bit because they have to further divide their attention. The only obvious suggestion I have to offer based solely on observation is that there is a need for more moderators. Unfortunately, moderators don't grow on trees though. I guess the next best thing I have is maybe to have something like this in every region. That way there is a queue in each region that remains regardless of who comes and goes from a position.

Kaie
Player

Words: 1635197
Joined roleplay: May 9th, 2013, 3:13 am
Race: Myrian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 7
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) Riverfall Seasonal Challenge (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Eosi on April 8th, 2016, 11:02 pm

Dear Jen/Gossamer,

I would like to officially request the first mark of Ivak for Eosi. I know we've talked about it before, but I wanted to go through the appropriate channels. Every thread I've ever written with her has in some way referenced her lifelong devotion to the service of Ivak, God of Fire and Emotional Upheaval. In spite of his inadvertent destruction of her hometown, her devotion to him has been the definitive factor of her existence as a character and in every event of her in-character backstory as well as her in-game written threads, from the death of her mother to her very first love. Eosi has every inch of her branded with Ivak, to the extent that she lives and dies by her faith and devotion to him.

But there has been a very important reason why I did not request her first mark through the help desk. This is so important to me, that I wanted to write through it in game and earn it for her. Because Eosi is a character that reflects the spirit of Mizahar, gaining all that she has in terms of depth through the actual writing and not the plot that I've developed for her out of character. It was never my goal for her to fall in love with Leo even though he destroyed her hometown, or develop a friendship with Kavala and begin living at the Sanctuary, even though it was the very place where she'd been initiated into reimancy. These are all interference patterns that were caused by consequences of in-game written roleplay and are organically better, deeper and more impactful than any idea I might have sat back and cultivated on my own.

That is why I am asking here, for my request for a first gnosis to be considered. I respect the time and effort moderators invest for the players as well as the obligations they have in real life. I relate very much to what was said in your post here. But it was just earlier that I was thinking about how sad I was that I never got the chance to earn this for her, to try and maybe even fail to win her god's favor. So when I saw there was an actual gnosis request thread, I decided to post here. Maybe to inspire other domain storytellers to see this too. It isn't even just about me. But if I feel this way, there must be others. So if you have a player in your domain who tries their best to reflect the true spirit of roleplay, moderate them a thread. It would just mean the world to them. Even if it isn't even a gnosis thread, just dedicating a little bit of your time would be enough.

Thank you for your consideration.

With respect,

Kate/Eosi
Eosi
Act first. Teach them to fear you.

Words: 244471
Joined roleplay: November 20th, 2012, 7:42 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 2
Featured Thread (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Orin Fenix on July 26th, 2016, 3:32 pm

Dear Gossamer,

Over time, Orin has grown in faith and reverence for Priskil. She’s the Goddess that he credits with helping him get through his darkest days, and for that he can never repay her. He wants to do what he can for her, though, because he feels that she has done more than her fair share for him and he wants to be able to give some of that back to her.

Orin’s had a pretty rough year this past year. Actually, he’s had a pretty terrible life overall. Despite being healthy, he is most definitely not happy. He feels that so far he’s failed in his life’s mission to explore new cuisines. His talents were completely unappreciated in Abura, since the Akvatari have no need for a mater chef. Orin’s departure from Syliras was less than stellar since he was fired from his job and he left in shame. Most importantly, he ended up having to sever his bond with his bondmate, Sylvette Sciath. All of this, combined with the physical and emotional abuse he had heaped upon him as a child has left him pretty broken and he’s suffering from a pretty major bout of depression. Even before this past year, Orin wasn’t exactly the most stable of individuals, often putting on a front for the rest of the world to see, one that had been slipping more and more often as time went on. In fact, he probably should be a lot more beaten up than he is. A lot of the reason he’s still functioning as well as he is relates to his fervent faith in Priskil.

Only recently has he been able to put himself back together again, and a large part of that is due to his relationship to Priskil and all that she represents. Orin tries his hardest to believe in the ideal of hope, that if today is bad, then tomorrow has to be better, and if it’s not, then you have to make it that way. His faith in her started before he left Syliras, when he first found out exactly what she stood for. Eventually, when life drove him to the brink of despair, he barely got through it, and right then and there, Orin resolved to be faithful to Priskil and her ideals. His faith has only grown over time, especially when his year travelling and in Abura left him alone with no one to talk to but her. His faith helped Orin get through the emotional anguish that accompanied the severance of his Kelvic bond. More recently, her servant helped Orin to cope with his move to Riverfall and all the major changes in his life. His relationship with the goddess has grown organically and naturally during his time here. He went from not really having religious inclinations at all, to praying to her daily and looking to her for guidance in almost everything. He’s not only thankful to her for helping him through his own life’s struggles. He’s also done his best to preach her teachings to others, and to help them out in their own rough patches, as he feels that it’s only fair for him to do for others what he believes Priskil has done for him.

Beyond the aspect of hope, Orin also really appreciates Priskil’s vigilance in everything. He does his best to protect those that he can from threats of any kind, be they emotional, physical, or spiritual. He will not stand for bullies or anyone that is using someone for their own personal gain. All in all, Orin tries his best to make his little corner of the world a better place, and I think Priskil would appreciate that quality in him. I also think, from a narrative standpoint, that meeting the Goddess would really further Orin's story and help with his development as a character. He's ready to meet her, and I hope that she would feel the same way.

Thank you for your consideration.

Sincerely,
Orin Fenix

P.S. Gnosis marks are one of the most amazing and unique parts about Mizahar. They allow a character to show their faith in a very real way, and I love that the gods have a way to interact with their followers that can have such a major impact on their lives. I also think it definitely makes sense that people need to go through a lot of work to get their marks. However, the system really heavily relies on moderators, which we know are a rare breed, especially the kind who sticks around long enough to complete a Gnosis quest. I’m really interested to see how the experiment with the Syliran Volunteers work out, because if that system proves to be a success, I’m thinking it might be worth a discussion of what other quests or stories that have historically been handled by STs could be taken over by volunteers, which might free the STs up to run more quests that require the sorts of approval only an ST has. I know we’ve talked about including the Ebonstryfe in these requests as well, so that’s already being thought about, which is great. Expanding it seems like it might work, as long as its carefully regulated and expectations are clear up front.
Orin Fenix
Almost Iron But Actually Master Chef

Words: 1186489
Joined roleplay: January 24th, 2015, 12:06 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Character (1) Trailblazer (1)