Anime v Non-Anime Models

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Feel free to place any off topic chatter, thread games, etc here.

Anime v Non-Anime Models

Postby Rewyn Horne on March 17th, 2015, 2:10 am

I am wondering how people feel about this, as in, when you're roleplaying with someone who has an anime-based character and you don't, and vise-versa. Do you picture your realistic human talking to a cartoon, and likewise? Every time I see a thread between them it just makes me think. @_@

Rewyn Horne
Faith is Poison

Words: 19172
Joined roleplay: March 12th, 2015, 5:24 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Plotnotes

Anime v Non-Anime Models

Postby Cosmo Crocus on March 17th, 2015, 2:16 am

[O O C]

|COSMO CROCUS|

Personally, I always imagine everyone as some kind of hyper-realistic anime character.

Just me.

|COSMO CROCUS|

COMMON | SYMENOS
Cosmo Crocus
Octopus Lover

Words: 7671
Joined roleplay: March 7th, 2015, 2:43 am
Race: Symenestra
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Anime v Non-Anime Models

Postby Gossamer on March 17th, 2015, 2:20 am

I can't stand anime. For one, most of them are the same model with different eye/hair color. The worst are the Big Eyes Small Mouth type models. All the art is copyright protected too so if someone is using one, odds are they are violating copyright.

I also tend to think anime PCs are ran by children or very young adults. I'm often not interested in roleplaying with these folks.
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6357243
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Anime v Non-Anime Models

Postby Rewyn Horne on March 17th, 2015, 2:22 am

Agreed, Goss. Personally I cannot imagine trying to create a story with someone sporting an anime model, as there would be no immersion. It'd feel like the 'Spongebob comes to real life' film that's coming to cinemas.

Rewyn Horne
Faith is Poison

Words: 19172
Joined roleplay: March 12th, 2015, 5:24 am
Character sheet
Plotnotes

Anime v Non-Anime Models

Postby Nivel on March 19th, 2015, 5:45 am

I don't care ether way, most of my characters use models except Nivel. In order to get an accurate model for her I would have to sculpt her by hand and then take pics every time she changes. Instead I just draw her avatars when she changes and hope people have enough imagination to picture what she actually should look like.

If you're at least interesting I'll thread with you. I can't really judge because I'm not the best writer but I've seen some pretty awesome writers on here with anime avatars and plenty not that great writers with non anime avatars.
Nivel
The Pint-Sized Mage

Words: 461307
Joined roleplay: March 24th, 2014, 7:06 pm
Race: Pycon
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Donor (1)

Anime v Non-Anime Models

Postby Aventis on March 19th, 2015, 9:13 am

As have I but I see it along the lines of... Ah... Like using a caricature as your driver's license photo. I figure "Hey, whatever floats your boat" and just go with it.

Credit to: Rhys for picture edit, Redd and Estellir Konrath for Boxcodes, and Fallon for Signature

Shameless self advertising. Feel free to make a request!

Aventis
Your brother in multiple arms

Words: 158586
Joined roleplay: October 22nd, 2014, 9:14 pm
Race: Eypharian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Anime v Non-Anime Models

Postby Roderick on March 19th, 2015, 11:57 am

I'm not really a big fan of the whole Anime avatar thing. It's not because they feel out of place - I can imagine them as looking like a normal human - it's more along the lines of what Gossamer said. To be succinct, I often mentally eye-roll when I see an Anime avatar, because like the good founder said, I automatically assume its a kid/teenager who is writing this character. That doesn't necessarily mean I won't thread with them, because after all I wouldn't want someone to judge Rod solely based on the faceclaim I'm using.
Thoughts
"Speech"
Standard text

If there is ever a time when I don't post within a thread - or create one - within a few days, send me a PM; the chances are I may have accidentally forgotten.
Roderick
Player

Words: 294797
Joined roleplay: July 20th, 2013, 9:10 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Anime v Non-Anime Models

Postby Ball on March 19th, 2015, 12:37 pm

I cant say much... Ball's current image is that of a character from Disney/Pixar's movie series Despicable Me. I can imagine tehre are some races that can be harder to find something realistic to use (Pycons do come to mind like Nivel said)

I am not one to usually put up avatars for my accounts on any site, but this one I did for I felt the images help convey an appearance and starting point for the other players. I usually try for statues and such, so I try to keep my characters in that realm of understanding... But Ball was such an odd to begin with.
Avatar CreditsMy lovely Avatar was drawn and created by the most awesome Nivel

Graders Please Note :
As Ball is getting closer and closer to maxing out Pyken as a skill, I would like to request that in places where Ball is not doing enough to constitute Pyken XP if Pyken technique lores could be issued instead.

Examples of proper XP level for Pyken would be: Ball developing or refining his technique by adding new thing against an actual moving target, not a dummy.

The use of basic skills alone are not enough to accomplish XP at Ball's current level of Pyken.

Thank you.

I will be handling all Ball related posts on Mondays @ 1800 my time *
Ball
Ser Ball -- Pycon Knight of Syliras

Words: 460478
Joined roleplay: January 31st, 2012, 4:52 pm
Race: Pycon
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Contributor (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1)

Anime v Non-Anime Models

Postby Timothy Mered on March 22nd, 2015, 6:03 pm

I really dislike the style. Characters in Anime tend to have all kinds of superpowers or weird abilities, so when I see an anime model I automatically assume that players will RP their character under that assumption; that their character is super special in some way.

I guess what puts me off is that it just doesn't look realistic in any sense of the word. If people want to watch anime and enjoy it, by all means, have fun, but it's not for me, it's to me what Modern Abstract art is to others: utter gibberish.
Timothy Mered
Determined

Words: 296697
Joined roleplay: June 10th, 2014, 1:43 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Medals: 1
Featured Character (1)

Anime v Non-Anime Models

Postby Logan Storm on March 23rd, 2015, 6:00 pm

I can feel the Anime hate going on in this discussion, lol. Almost makes me not want to post.

All I can say is that I have been that guy to apply an anime character into a face claim and, most times, I would imagine the characters as though they where in a real life movie.

This guy is Goku from an obvious Anime almost any anime lover should know (Stated only to avoid copy right infringement, hopefully). If I were to role play with him I would picture his clothing a bit darker in shade and hanging a little closer to his inhumanly large muscles. His black hair would be spiked but not to the extreme like the creators have made it, he would have some large bushy brows, and he would move like an actual human being. Imagine it as a cartoon character being made into a realistic movie.

If you can imagine Alvin and the chipmunks as a CGI instead of an original cartoon image, then you can probably imagine an anime character in real life.
Logan Storm
Player

Words: 119475
Joined roleplay: February 23rd, 2015, 7:56 pm
Character sheet
Plotnotes

Next