[Rosela's Scrapbook] Stuff goes here.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The player scrapbooks forum is literally a place for writers to warm-up, brainstorm, keep little scraps of notes, or just post things to encourage themselves and each other. Each player can feel free to create their own thread - one per account - and use them accordingly.

Postby Rosela on March 9th, 2015, 1:56 pm

Sometimes You Just Need Some Goddamn Oreos

Things have been a smidge stressful in our house lately, mostly revolving around phase one of our master plan for this year – my boyfriend getting a job. The downward spiral this weekend wasn’t the result of a rejection, even though he’s had those. It wasn’t the result of a bad interview, and he’s had those too. In fact, it was because he got an interview…the sixth in a series of them at a very nice company who’s clearly interested in him. The problem is, when he got the call to set up a 15 minute ‘chat’ on Friday afternoon, we both excitedly assumed the call was to finally make that all-important offer. So when you’re expecting an offer and instead the guy starts asking you about your strengths and weaknesses, it’s more than a little disappointing.

So Saturday was a bit of a downer as we tried to remind ourselves that this was a good thing and meant they were still interested. We just had to wait even...longer...for that offer to come in. I tried to make the best of it with some Miz time, some anime, and I did get all my cooking for this week done, but come Sunday morning, we had to try hard to snap out of it.

And you know what? It worked. We spent the majority of the day munching on Oreos (chocolate-on-chocolate, YES) and playing Fallout. I can’t remember last time we had a lazy day like that, and it was the most enjoyable day we’ve had in a long time. Yes, I needed to do laundry, and I know I needed to clean the house, and sure, I’d wanted to work on the Eyph rewrite some more. Oreos and Fallout didn’t really help anything, but it turned out to have been the best thing we could have done this weekend.

So if you’re in a bad place, maybe see what can wait for tomorrow, pick up a game or two and take a pause in front of the cookie section in the grocery store. The world may seem a little easier to face afterwards.

Have a moment? Maybe drop by and leave a peer review?
Rosela
Bring me pretty things.

Words: 739794
Joined roleplay: August 24th, 2012, 7:54 pm
Race: Eypharian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 6
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Featured Thread (1) Trailblazer (1)
Overlored (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Rosela on March 13th, 2015, 4:52 pm

Magpies!

Came across a neat story today about a magpie that was nursed back to health by a family and became pretty much part of the family. The article primarily consists of some amazing photography, but it’s one of the more pleasant things I’ve seen in a while. I’ve been particularly interested in magpies for a while now, mostly for the interesting symbolism many cultures have about them, usually surrounding magpies in a specific number. There’s a ton of variation, but many of the western meanings are close to those in an old nursery rhyme about them:
One for sorrow,
Two for joy,
Three for a girl,
Four for a boy,
Five for silver,
Six for gold,
Seven for a secret,
Never to be told.

The boy/girl lines tend to stick around, but the first two I’ve also seen mean danger or a warning, and then a union or safe travels. Have to admit, I never knew the rest of the rhyme until I actually looked it up. The story of them being attracted to shiny objects is also a bit of a myth, as well as them being thieves at all. It was studied as recently as late last year, and researchers found magpies were not attracted at all to shiny things, and may even be a little afraid.

Also, if you’ve never heard the call of a magpie, it’s really cool:

And they’re crazy smart. They’re said to have the intelligence of 5-7 year old children and can understand metaphors, solve complex problems, and understand the concept of ‘self’ in that they can identify themselves in a mirror.

However, if you look up magpies, the focus on their intelligence usually takes a back seat to their aggression problems. From August to December, when their eggs start to hatch, males get extremely territorial and will attack anything that passes near their nests. The internet is full of stories and videos of people getting swooped and attacked, to the point that many people know more about this than anything else.

There’s no magpies where I live, but with our future a little up in the air right now, maybe we’ll end up in a place that has them?

Rosela
Bring me pretty things.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Khida on March 13th, 2015, 5:32 pm

Magpies are very pretty birds. I've only seen them in person a couple of times. My grandparents had a house on a ridge outside of town, and one summer a group of four magpies flew into the area, stayed for a week, and flew right on out again. There's also a particular curve of highway near my undergrad college where magpies are resident, one of very few places in the county, and I caught a glimpse of one there once.

The story of them being attracted to shiny objects is also a bit of a myth, as well as them being thieves at all. It was studied as recently as late last year, and researchers found magpies were not attracted at all to shiny things, and may even be a little afraid.

I didn't track down the original article, but I wonder if there's a population or education effect at play. There are elements of preference/attraction which are hardwired, and there are elements which are learned. The stories trace back a very long time, and if a preference for shiny things was learned, it might have been lost since. Or it might have been most prevalent in a population different from what was studied.

Shiny things may have once been more associated with slain soldiers and wealthy people, for example, both of which might provide easier access to food; whereas now, shiny things are present everywhere and have no particular association. If anything, shiny things are more likely to be noisy and fast-moving and dangerous.

That's not to say even those hypothetical historical magpies were as grabby as lore suggests. People being people, we share around stories, distort, overgeneralize, and blow them all out of proportion.

And we also make up things that suit our narratives, so perhaps there really never was any basis to begin with.
Spring threads: 2/5 .. | .. Season Goals .. | .. GradersMaxed skill: Observation.
Khida
Player

Words: 574944
Joined roleplay: April 14th, 2012, 11:14 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 4
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Rosela on March 13th, 2015, 6:25 pm

All those are definitely possible :)

Another idea is the whole territorial thing; if people didn't know a magpie's nest was nearby and he swooped to attack, they may have assumed they were trying to steal their shiny things?

Rosela
Bring me pretty things.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Rosela on March 24th, 2015, 2:51 pm

Good News, Everyone!

ImageThe past week has been big in our house. And I mean BIG. Honestly, I don’t even know where to start.

I guess firstly, we’re moving! Mid-late June, we’ll be moving for my boyfriend’s brand new job! He’s been busting his butt since October/November to make this happen and we’re still reeling from the news that it finally is. It’s a good job, it’s a good company, and while neither of us are strictly big city people, where we’re moving is without a doubt the Big City, so it’s a huge change.

We also decided to change around our plans for my future employment. Originally, I’d planned on telecommuting with my current company for a couple years, and then moving on, but now, we’re thinking I’ll start looking within the next year. So, once we move, I'll officially be on 'skill-beefing time' and will be doing all kinds of random projects to jazz up my resume.

And lastly…I’m engaged!

His proposal was sweet and incredibly romantic, and of course, I cried like a baby. With us taking this first step into real ‘grownup’ lives, my fiancé (hehehe, I have a fiancé!), wanted us to start it as a married couple. Well, engaged at least.

So what does this mean for Rosela and my Mizahar time? Not much for now. Late June will see some downtime as we start moving, and for a while afterwards as I balance Mizahar time with skill-building time, and then whenever we get married will see some time away as well. For now though, I’m just basking in the glow of knowing I’ll spend the rest of my life with the man of my dreams ^_^

Rosela
Bring me pretty things.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Caelum on March 24th, 2015, 5:37 pm

Best wishes! This is fantastic. :) What an exciting year you have ahead of you.

Caelum
The best way out is through.

Words: 1093768
Joined roleplay: March 18th, 2010, 10:27 pm
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Thread (1) Guest Storyteller (1)
Lore Author (1) Peer Reviewer (1)
Trailblazer (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Thomas Cosa on March 24th, 2015, 5:45 pm

That's awesome! Congatulations, and I wish you the best in your new endeavors!

Thomas Cosa
What if no one could stop you?

Thomas Cosa
bratty mageling

Words: 385707
Joined roleplay: October 20th, 2012, 9:33 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Contributor (1) Overlored (1)

Postby Rosela on March 24th, 2015, 5:50 pm

Thanks so much you guys ^_^

Rosela
Bring me pretty things.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Aventis on March 25th, 2015, 12:36 am

Oh you little peach! Congratulations! I'm so happy for you! I expect pictures from the wedding you big ole' goof c:

Credit to: Rhys for picture edit, Redd and Estellir Konrath for Boxcodes, and Fallon for Signature

Shameless self advertising. Feel free to make a request!

Aventis
Your brother in multiple arms

Words: 158586
Joined roleplay: October 22nd, 2014, 9:14 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Cosmo Crocus on March 25th, 2015, 12:40 am

[O O C]

|COSMO CROCUS|

I may not know you, Rosela, but I do wish you the best in life.

I hope you and your fiancé have many great years together!

|COSMO CROCUS|

COMMON | SYMENOS
Cosmo Crocus
Octopus Lover

Words: 7671
Joined roleplay: March 7th, 2015, 2:43 am
Race: Symenestra
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

PreviousNext