[Perplexity's Scrapbook] Perplexing Puzzles

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The player scrapbooks forum is literally a place for writers to warm-up, brainstorm, keep little scraps of notes, or just post things to encourage themselves and each other. Each player can feel free to create their own thread - one per account - and use them accordingly.

Postby Keene Ward on December 16th, 2014, 6:49 pm

I don't have any proper words for you, Bay. I'm so sorry.
Keene Ward
Chilly Wizard

Words: 1279864
Joined roleplay: October 16th, 2014, 2:16 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 6
Featured Character (1) Artist (1)
Overlored (1) One Million Words! (1)
2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1) 2014 Top NaNo Word Count (1)

Postby Perplexity on January 12th, 2015, 1:33 am

Thank you.

Thank you to everyone. I am rather humbled by the kind words that people have had to say to me throughout the day. The small stories or well wishes have been astounding and I won't lie in saying that I got more than a little emotional. Saving a story for another time suffice it to say that I don't often get to celebrate my birthday but today was absolutely stellar!

I was surprised when several of my friends all got together at the local bowling alley and rented an arcade room. We spent a few hours being complete nerds. We went to see the movie Big Hero 6 (2nd time I've seen it but goodness I love the movie! Totally worth seeing it twice!) and it was fantastic! We came back to my house for lasagna, bread sticks and salad and watched Creepypasta videos on YouTube for a few hours. (I love spooky stories but I'm a total chicken when it comes to horror movies.)

All of this was followed up with some much needed family time where I became the equivalent of a human tree for my 3 year old niece and the dog. And the cat. It was great!

Thank you all for helping to make this one of the most memorable birthdays that I've had in a long time!

-Baylien
Perplexity's Office Status

Perplexity
DS of Zeltiva, Mod Privileges in Wildlands

Words: 440795
Joined roleplay: July 11th, 2013, 11:59 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Medals: 1
Featured Contributor (1)

Postby Perplexity on February 2nd, 2015, 5:02 am

Wizard(s) According To Perplexity

Mizahar is a world where magic functions quite differently than what you would find in the typical fantasy setting. Where in most fantasy settings magic is institutionalized, universal, and has complete and utter structure to how ever spell, potion, ritual and spellbook is written, Mizahar does not possess such things.

1.) What is a Personal Wizard?

He is exactly what such a title implies. He is a practitioner of magic that is utterly and completely subjective to his own experiences. While all Personal Magic has similar beginnings, none of it is wielded in quite the same way by each wizard who practices it. They are unified in that they practice the same Discipline. Little else. Why? Because the individual must establish the connection between the power they wield and the action they want to perform. How one Fluxist rationalizes him being able to send another man flying with a single punch might be totally different from another who finds that a ludicrously dangerous idea. Why put energy into sending a man flying when you could strike pressure points and leave him crippled?

Adopting Personal Magic is embarking upon a way of life. It is dedicating oneself to the development of an art style as much as it is a pursuit of otherworldly and unnatural power. (A point I will get to momentarily.)

2.) What is a World Wizard?

Some might argue that World Magic is where things become less of an art and more of a science. I disagree. The beginnings might be the same but their implementation varies from wizard to wizard. Take Spiritism for example. Writing a universal guide to Spiritism is beyond impossible. Manuscripts that may or may not exist might discuss the basic tools needed to practice and induct another into the Discipline but how to use those tools? All of it is completely subjective to one’s ability to communicate with Spirits.

You could have all the tools in the world at your disposal but if you can’t establish a connection with the spirits the magic was designed to interact with, you can perform none of its higher functions. Thus, each instance is a new experience in and of itself. You have a fundamental backbone to draw on for guidance, the rest is up to you.

Don’t believe me? Alright. Alchemy. Perhaps one of the most scientific of the World Disciplines. With alchemy you have the fundamental calculation responsible for guiding all alchemic reactions. That is to say,

A + B - C = D

Or to put it into perspective…

Orange + Red Apple - Orange Color = Red Orange (albeit this is a very, very simple example)

Once again, the fundamental formula remains the same across the board but the reaction itself is subjective to the skill and reasoning of the individual. In the alchemy lore the following is stated:

Once the ring is loaded, the Alchemist will start the charging by shedding a drop of his blood, as in Summoning or Animation, and pressing the wounded limb against a meridian keystone. Using the connection between his life and the item, the Alchemist wills the Djed from the charger materials to start moving through the ring.

Now, it goes one to say quite a bit more but my point is this: the alchemist controls the reaction. Which means, while the framework for what SHOULD take place is there the details of the reaction are subjective to the individual alchemists reasoning. The reaction is driven by the alchemist and cannot take place without the exertion of his will. So, while every alchemic formula might follow a simple framework every reaction is entirely managed and pieced together based on the experiences of the individual alchemist performing the reaction. For instance who’s to say another alchemist might not have used a different component in the same reaction?

Orange + Red Rose - Orange Color = Red Orange (Again, a very, very simplistic example)

The end result was the same but the road to get there was different. I think you get it by now.

3.) Why make those differentiations only to tie them (sort of) together? What’s your point?

To bring to light how much of a personal journey being a wizard really is. My point is that, in Mizahar, picking up even ONE discipline of magic is introducing yourself to a world where you as a mortal are able to perform things you shouldn’t be able to. Mortals were not born with these powers. They were discovered or gifted by powers higher than them. Adopting one form or the other awakens you to a new perspective on life that was not previously possible. With that comes the heavy burden of forever being an outsider.

You are, in essence, completely and utterly unnatural. No one will ever look at you the same because you can do things that are contrary to the very nature of what you are.

As such, you walk alone and in walking alone you embark upon a journey of discovery that is as much a dream as it is a nightmare. Even other wizards will never fully understand you. They might be able to discuss similarities but the road to achieving a single result will always differ, even if it’s only slightly, between two mages. With such things in mind there are a few things wizards will never be:

a.) Never will a wizard be an outright idiot. Untalented? Perhaps. Quirky? Definitely. But an idiot? A buffoon? It is a disgrace. They would likely end up killing themselves with the very powers they laughably sought to control.

b.) Never is a wizard ignorant of the weight on their shoulders. Ever. People HATE mages. People FEAR mages. People ACCUSE mages. People RUN from mages. People KILL mages. That is the legacy one adopts upon assuming even ONE discipline of magic. You are a freak and people WILL go out of their way to make you aware of that fact once discovered. Or on the opposite end of the spectrum you are expected to knowledgeable, intelligent, and wise. If you fail in that expectation you are regarded with disdain or worse, you are viewed as useless and expendable.

c.) Never will a wizard wantonly bestow magic upon another. Why? Induction into practically every discipline of magic is a highly personal experience, one each wizard will likely never forget. You don’t brandish that around with gusto. It is not something one brags about because several initiations are grueling, painful, and change the individual so remarkably it scars them down to their very soul. Or in the case of some World Magics they involve becoming acquainted with rites so perverse to the general public, to share those things is to invite an angry mob upon your head. Animation for example. Giving life (or rather the semblance of it) to that which shouldn’t have it? A corpse made to walk again? Heresy in the eyes of some. Abominable in the eyes of others. Incomprehensible to most.

4.) So, what is a wizards to Perplexity then?

A remarkable individual who has taken it upon themselves to live a life dedicated to understanding a higher mystery in one form or another. Because that is what it is. Magic in Mizahar isn’t a hobby. It isn’t a tool. It a way of life because picking up even one of its many paths changes your life irrevocably.

The Disciplines and You

So how do I think people are supposed to react to certain disciplines? Well, that really depends on where your character is. Generally speaking though, I have formulated an opinion or two on what one can expect. Mind you, these are my opinions. Nothing more.

Auristics

Normal Person- You have a sixth sense about things. The average person would have no idea that you possessed this magic whatsoever unless you actually told them. They might find your staring a little odd and the fact that you’re rather intuitive about certain things off putting but hey, some people just have that ability, right?

Other Wizards- You’re nosey. Your gaze holds the potential to reveal things they don’t want others to know. Every effort that can be made to conceal things from you will be taken. It is either that or avoid you entirely. At best, you’ll mind your own business. At worst? You’ve seen too much.

Familiary

Normal Person- WHAT IN GODS NAME IS THAT!?

Other Wizards- For those that know of Familiary, are you being dominated by your Familiar? Can you get me one? No? What good are you? Are you a danger? You are? Fine. I’ll just kill one of you and be rid of both of you.

Flux

Normal Person- You’re really strong. Did you just punch that guy through a wall? That’s not natural. What are you? It’s not safe to be around you. Stay away from me. By the way, you’re bleeding out of your…well…everywhere.

Other Wizards- What are you? A barbarian? Go play with your sticks. By the way, I have a desk that needs moving. Care to lend a hand? A little to the left.

Hypnotism

Normal Person- You’re really nice to be around. People may gravitate toward you. You come off as rather charismatic or charming and people seem to agree with you on a lot of things. Wait…you mean you can control people’s thoughts? You’re a Hypnotist!? Villainous. You must be purged.

Other Wizards- Caution. If you’re a known hypnotist, rarely will you find yourself speaking to someone alone. There must always be a witness. Somehow. You know, better to just not be around you at all. You’re a schemer and use your powers only to advance your personal agendas.

Leeching

Normal Person- Are you sick? Try these herbs. No? Let’s go see the doctor. Well, that didn’t work. Healer maybe? That didn’t work either? What’s that? You’re a Leecher? You mean you STEAL the essence of other living things until they’re drained of their very life? Cue mob.

Other Wizards- You are an abomination so thirsty for power you sacrifice your own health, the purity of your own essence, to slake your insatiable appetite. Expect thinly veiled disdain or strained tolerance at best. At worst? Complete isolation away from the SANE wizards who can’t be bothered with you.

Morphing

Normal Person- People with either mistake you for a Kelvic or depending on your particular style of Morphing, assume you’re crazed and vindictive. You take on the shape of other people? Criminal. You’re trying to hide something. You’re either better off imprisoned with the psychopaths or being put down like the animals or creatures whose shapes you borrow. What you do isn’t natural anyways.

Other Wizards- Well that’s…nice? I guess. There are worse things.

Projection

Normal Person- If things start moving of their own accord there’s obviously a ghost. Call for a Spiritist. It’s not a ghost? Projection? You remove your SOUL from your body? Doesn’t that make you the walking dead? Are you even alive? Do you watch me when I sleep? Why would you even do such a thing? Creep.

Other Wizards- Paranoia, perhaps. Curiosity is more likely. Excusing the fact that they could very well take advantage of the fact that your body become completely exposed when Projecting, this might be something worth investigating. If things start moving about unexpectedly though, expect retaliation or even safeguards.

Reimancy

Normal Person- Nope. Get out. Fire from your mouth? Lightning spearing forth from your fingertips? I don’t think so. The world is dangerous enough as it is.

Other Wizards- You’re mad? You’re not mad? You must be mad. You know what, we’re just going to assume you’re insane. If you’re not already you will be soon enough.

Shielding

Normal Person- Why are you waving your hands over that doorway? Oh you’re a Shielder? I don’t see anything. What’s that do? I guess it sounds safe enough.

Other Wizards- Hey! I’ve got this lab that needs re-Shielding. I know you just put one up but my experiments got a little out of control. If you know what I mean! Oh that right, you don’t! Silly me! Oh and when you’re done you can go back to cowering in your corner because I know you don’t want to be part of the real magic anyways. Thanks. You’re a pal.

Voiding

Normal Person- A endless black abyss symbolic of emptiness and the absence of life? Cue mob.

Other Wizards- Golem broke down. Again? Summon the Voider. Time to dispose of this trash.

To Be Continued...Stay tuned for the World Magic section!

Perplexity

Office
Featured Contributor (1)

Postby Kreig Messer on February 2nd, 2015, 5:33 am

....I loled >.<
Feeel thy wrath!!!!

"You gents best be careful, I'm feelin' mighty rabid right now... and your the only ones around to bite"
Kreig Messer
The guy in crazy town.

Words: 883597
Joined roleplay: January 22nd, 2012, 7:55 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Featured Thread (1) Mizahar Grader (1)
Trailblazer (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Perplexity on February 2nd, 2015, 5:37 am

That was the point. If you laughed, it did its job.

Perplexity

Office
Featured Contributor (1)

Postby Kreig Messer on February 2nd, 2015, 5:48 am

Indeed! Also this has been very informative brudda! :D thanks for putting this up.
Feeel thy wrath!!!!

"You gents best be careful, I'm feelin' mighty rabid right now... and your the only ones around to bite"
Kreig Messer
The guy in crazy town.

Words: 883597
Joined roleplay: January 22nd, 2012, 7:55 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Medals: 8
Featured Thread (1) Mizahar Grader (1)
Trailblazer (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Perplexity on February 2nd, 2015, 5:51 am

You're welcome! Just remember that this is all personal opinion based on my own interpretation of things so shouldn't be referenced in any official capacity. Plus, the Disciplines and You section was more for my own amusement. xD

Perplexity

Office
Featured Contributor (1)

Postby Estrellir Konrath on February 2nd, 2015, 11:11 am

Your opinions are hilarious.

That being said, the first section was actually quite insightful. Thanks for sharing! Looking forward to world magics!
Estrellir Konrath
She Who Finds What Was Lost

Words: 338742
Joined roleplay: September 13th, 2013, 8:24 pm
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 6
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Artist (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Caelum on March 30th, 2015, 4:22 pm

I’m going to miss your face and I thought you might like this picture of superhero corgis to take with you. They are, in fact, corgi Avengers. Semantics.

Take care of yourself and Mizahar will be waiting when you get home.

<3, k.
Caelum
The best way out is through.

Words: 1093768
Joined roleplay: March 18th, 2010, 10:27 pm
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Thread (1) Guest Storyteller (1)
Lore Author (1) Peer Reviewer (1)
Trailblazer (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Perplexity on April 11th, 2015, 2:46 am

A lot of things have been buzzing through my head lately. I suppose it's time I just sort of decompressed and gave my thoughts shape. I don't really think this wall of rambling babble has a point other than to just blurt it all out.

First, if you break a rule and are caught, be honest. Own up to it. The staff aren’t here to bully and harass you. We are here to enforce the rules and maintain the integrity of the respective domains we preside over.

I don’t know why people are surprised when we crack down on enforcing the rules. It happens on every website everywhere that there is a moderation staff in place. We’re not a gang. We’re not out to get specific people simply because they piss us off.

Abide by the rules and there will never be an issue.

If you are caught breaking that rule and you are forthright and honest about it, there will still be consequences but there will in nearly every case, be leniency as a result of your honesty. The staff aren’t heartless. We aren’t cruel gremlins who get kicks out of making people miserable. 9 out of 10 time, all we’re going to ask of you is that corrections be made to rectify the situation.

And it ends there.

But if we have to keep harping you, if we have to constantly watch you like a hawk, if on top of all the other things we do to try and keep Mizahar moving we have to set aside hours out of our day (sometimes days) to clean up messes, it’s going to take its toll.

Second, don’t lie.

I can’t stress this enough. Don’t do it. Just don’t. It’s unbecoming. It’s also easy to see through because guess what? We’re not stupid. We’re also more attentive to what goes on behind the scenes than people realize and with how many people all staffers deal with on a daily basis, patterns, similarities, distinctive voices, all become instantly recognizable.

Is it so hard to just play by the rules? Is it really? For the life of me I will never understand it.

Thirdly, we’re people too. Seriously. I know that might come as a surprise but hey, I know I came to Mizahar because I was drawn in by the chance to write a fun and engaging story. I continue to stay because this website has provided for me the opportunity to channel my imagination into something unique and lasting. I stay because of my love for writing.

But I also believe in giving back. As do the rest of the staff. A lot, a lot of time goes into maintaining, pushing forward, developing (in some cases demolishing and rebuilding), refining and contributing to everything that is in place here on this website. The more time the staff have to spend addressing needless problems, the less time there is to contribute what is fun and exciting for everyone. Especially when it’s the same problems and more often than not the same people causing those problems, again and again and again and again.

I don’t really know where I was headed with this. Just venting maybe? I’m so very frustrated right now. Frustrated and disappointed. I see so many great stories just waiting to happen…wasted because people make stupid choices.

Oh well.

Perplexity

Office
Featured Contributor (1)

PreviousNext