Friend in Need (Ricky)

Pulren gets an old friend to lend a hand.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

Friend in Need (Ricky)

Postby Pulren Marsh on March 5th, 2015, 4:20 pm

16th of Spring, AV 515

Midday

Stretching his limbs above his head, Pulren enjoyed the light and warm breezes that caressed him on the docks of Zeltiva as he waited for the sailors to open the hold. He had been to the house that the Lord of Council's office had given him and was looking forward to getting his precious furniture into it and setting up house. He was now a Wave Guardsman again, having reenlisted and trained with his brothers and sisters. Everything was coming together and he felt like some of the spaces in his head might be starting to fill a little bit. He had taken the time to get his basin and chamber pot at the house. Some things couldn't wait.

"You sure I can't help you pull that stuff out, guys?" The sailors started backing off from the furniture as if he was judging them. "No, no. I am not saying that. You're good. I'm just happy to help." One just shook his head and waved him off. After the madness of the great escape of Sunberth and the crowd, Pulren felt like maybe the crew thought that the Scars and their possessions were cursed. Typical sea lore. He couldn't really blame them for their beliefs. He actually noticed a relaxing in their body postures when he stepped off of the ship. Their pace began to increase, the furniture coming out to the docks. The bed, the bookcase, desk, dresser, wardrobe and chair all fine in their crafting and condition. Pulren himself had dressed well, his leather pants, fancy boots and black linen shirt now cleaned and worn.

Finally his new great chest with lock attached came, two men straining as they placed it among the other furniture with a solid thud. Pulren nodded as they looked on and nonchalantly returned to the ship. "Do you mind keeping an eye on this stuff while I move it? House isn't too far, but I paid a good miza for this stuff and hate to lose it." The sailors seemed to shrug it off. "don't they have Guards here for that? Pretty armor and pretty blue outfits?" The pair laughed and clapped at each other's shoulders. For a brief moment, Pulren ceased standing on the dock and Uncle remained, his eyes burning holes in the backs of their skulls.

The sound of a wayward tern's cry broke the slip into madness. Blinking for a moment, he laughed it off. taking a deep breath, he put his hands on his hips and looked around. It looked like a ray of Syna's grace caught the dock in the perfect angle, illuminating the form of a fisherman. An old friend and ally of Pulren's, Ricky Maze could be seen on the pier. Strangely, he was not wearing his uniform or carrying his sword. Then again, however, Pulren had taken they day as well for moving. Days off happened after all.
Calling out to the man, he smiled.

"Hey Sarge! Give a guard a hand?"

Pulren Marsh
Your favorite Uncle

Words: 503518
Joined roleplay: March 22nd, 2014, 3:33 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

Friend in Need (Ricky)

Postby Ricky Maze on March 6th, 2015, 4:37 am

Today had felt like any other ordinary day for Ricky, since he had of course been doing nothing but the same thing all day. Fishing had become a dull hobby but somehow he still enjoyed it, and the fact he'd made it his official trade now just added more on top of that. Stress came and went as day to day hauls varied, and it could never be said that the trade itself was a good work out, and by now it had already started to show within Ricky's own figure. Biceps were a bit firmer, torso a bit denser, he definitely had started to pack on some muscle again. That and with a surprise he had yet tell anyone affecting the family, he took that into countenance as well for the gain in weight and muscle he started to collect. But Gods this weather! It had been a good while since it felt this warm to Ricky, the way the wind brought in Syna's embrace to the skin, it truly did feel like spring had returned to the city again.

And it's a good t'ing too! Martin's gittin' t' de point where he's ready t' play outside soon. Although there still resided a few good years of personal play time outside, Martin actually was getting old enough to where he could be out and about more often. The child believe it or not had been getting antsy here recently, and if he weren't antsy he was always curious, trying to poke into literally anything he could get to. An' t' t'ink he'll be another year older when de leaves turn brown again. He couldn't think about how this year was going to turn out for the boy, already past a year and nearly a half had started to crawl by? It felt like nearly a half anyway, time always seemed elusive like that anyhow. "Oy, Rick! Ye just gonna stand t'ere, or ye gonna move t'at arse an' help us out?" One of the fellow fisherman beckoned him, and brought him out of the world of thought he'd become engaged in.

"Sorry mate!" He called out as he stood near the edge of the pier to grapple the rope, both he and the fisherman worked together to haul up the fishing net from below. It took them both a chime or two but with the tug against the weight in the net, plus the water soaked inside it, that had to be a bit expected for them. Still after an exchange of silent heave ho's from both parties, both Ricky and the other fisherman hauled the net up to sit within the guy's rowboat.

"Woo! Good work! Thank ye kindly." He cheered as he started to count the numbers in his load, Ricky just smiled with a nod as he casually walked back with a wipe of the forearm to his brow. That was when he finally heard it, the call of a title he once held. He wouldn't have responded to it were it anybody else, but given it belonged to a voice he'd known, the urge to look behind him and investigate couldn't be resisted. Dressed in different clothing than from what Ricky knew him in, the appearance of one he once considered a boy now stood a man. A man he hadn't expected to ever come to face so soon.

"Pulren? Son o' a bitch! Where de petch ya been lad?!" The fisherman bellowed out with a bit of excitement, his approach quick as he noticed the furniture next to the guardsman. "Movin' back huh? Figures ye'd come cryin' back home! How was yer trip t'... where again?" He meant to strike up a friendly conversation to catch up with the younger Wave Guard, but of course that led him to realize that he never knew Pulren actually left... or where he went off to for that matter.
Journal - Plotnotes - Announcement!
Scrapbook - Shop (Closed)- Vlogs
Credit goes to Fallon for allowing me to temper with her codings! :)
Ricky Maze
"Bottom's up!"

Words: 2035002
Joined roleplay: March 30th, 2011, 9:02 pm
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 7
Trailblazer (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) 2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)
2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Friend in Need (Ricky)

Postby Pulren Marsh on March 7th, 2015, 3:14 am

It was odd that when Rick looked back at him initially, it was with a look of confusion. Sure, it had been a few seasons since Pulren had left but the look on Sarge's face was just more than what he had expected to see. On top of that, it looked like he was either helping a friend with some fishing or that he was a fisherman himself. Pulren knew that like himself, Rick had a love for fishing, but the amount of netting and fish involved looked more commercial than as a hobby. Whatever the case, he seemed to be bursting with excitement to see Pulren, which warmed the man's heart a little. It was nice to have a friend back home who had missed you.

Reaching out, he gripped Rick's forearm as his own was gripped, a stern but friendly squeeze given by each before he stood back to look the man over. He was still strong and healthy, though his eyes seemed to carry a sadness that he didn't remember the man ever having, at least not in his knowing him. "Sunberth, actually. Traveled there with a Syliran to investigate some slavery and look for his family. I took my leave from the Guard and was on good faith status with them. Also spent a few weeks in Sahova. Frightful place. I could really be fine if I never went back to either place again, to be honest." Truer words had never been spoken by Pulren. He would be happy to just live in Zeltiva for the rest of his natural life, actually. Standing back, he looked at the man.

"You're looking fit. Helping a friend out with fishing? You always were a helpful guy. Mind helping me move this furniture in? I'm just up in the northeast corner of Old Quarter, a few streets off from here. I could do it myself but it would be nice to get it done quicker and catch up." He figured Sarge would help. He never recalled a Wave Guard denying one of their own. That kind of solidarity was one of the many things Pulren needed to get his head back on straight. Standing on the backward end of the wardrobe, he looked it over, guessing the best way to get a handle on it. "Got back two days ago, reenlisted with the Guard, took a few days to get my shyke together. Have to report for duty tomorrow, though, so figured I had better get my gear in order." Come on Pulren, stop being completely selfish. "How's your family and little Martin? Everybody good?"

Pulren Marsh
Your favorite Uncle

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Friend in Need (Ricky)

Postby Ricky Maze on March 10th, 2015, 11:44 pm

When the approach had been met with a friendly handshake he felt the sense of brotherhood from the older days return, the fact he still felt kin to Pulren from time spent fighting together as Wave Guards, that meant that while he'd sort of fell out of touch he was still pretty close with Pulren. "Damn. Went off t' see what's out d'ere, only t' find d'ere's no place like home. Eh?" He reasoned with a bit of a gentle smirk, curious to know what sort of affairs took him to such places. Sunberth was understandable though since it was a neighboring city, but traveling to Sahova happened to be a more questionable thing. Still the experience had definitely changed the young Wave Guard, Ricky could tell in the way he held himself up at least, that he had grown into a wary but tired young man. One who learned much about the world outside their safe haven.

"Sure t'ing mate," He agreed with a chuckle as he thought nothing of it, "Always glad t' help a fellow mate out 'fter all." The fact was Ricky hadn't really thought about Pulren knowing whether or not he was a fisherman just yet, and so with Pulren under the assumption he'd only been helping, that led Ricky to realize much after thought that he was still probably thought of as a Wave Guard. Sure to Pulren he could always be referred to as "Sergeant" because that's generally how he knew Ricky, but that kind of association didn't really seem to exist anymore now that the fisherman worked at the docks instead. "Good t' hear, de Guard's more than better off wit' a stout companion like ya around." He commended Pulren for being able to reenlist after being gone, it had been something Ricky hadn't really thought about doing seeing as how he'd been on a break for a time.

"Martin's doin' great, gittin' bigger on me when Oi want 'im t' stop actually." He mused with a short laugh afterwards, his grin wider as he answered a bit more seriously. "We're all good t'ough, no insane wizards or head illnesses. In fact Oi've been given de word d'at Oi'm t' expect anot'er child now." He shared with a bit of enthusiasm as he felt a bit of excitement well up inside, of course this whole sense of normalcy he's experienced lately had indeed been a breath of fresh air compared to the usual things he'd dealt with. "Oi myself 'ave decided a break from de Guard was in order, so Oi resigned last season fer a bit. Not sure if Oi really wanna go back t'ough..." He admitted with arms crossed as he started to sort through the furniture, his eyes moved from the heavier to the lighter things with a plan of action set in mind. "So what should we start wit', Oi'd say de heaviest stuff can go first. D'at way we get all o' it outta de way, an' can carry more ourselves when we git t' de lighter stuff." He suggested with a warm smile on his face, he hoped that the idea proved favorable at least.
Ricky Maze
"Bottom's up!"

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Friend in Need (Ricky)

Postby Pulren Marsh on March 27th, 2015, 3:41 am

It was good to see the Sarge, although he looked a little off somehow. Pulren couldn't really place it, but something was different about his old mentor and friend. He had marched into death itself on the Maiden's Voyage with the man. Surely if something was different, he would have noticed it right away. It was hard to say. He was glad to accept and renew the friendship, regardless. With a genuine laugh, he nodded and smiled. "No place like home, indeed, Sarge. Never was or will be."

He was glad to hear that Rick's son was alive and well. A young lad in Zeltiva getting by on mother's milk, rations and water would generally grow strong and sturdy or not at all. It turned out he was having another child, which didn't surprise Pulren. Rick seemed like a virile family man. "Haha, another child? That's what you've been doing with all of your free time." He gave the man a friendly wink, happy for his friend. Pulren's look of excitement dropped like a crashing wave when Rick told him the bad news. It was obviously hurting the man, his eyes turned down to the furniture instead of to the business at hand. "That chest'll work. It and the wardrobe are probably the heaviest. The chest as all of my shyke in it." Taking up one end as Sarge..Rick...Sarge! took the other, Pulren gave him a piece of his mind.

"Now what's this shyke about resigning? You are the most proud Sergeant I know, man. What could make you want to turn away from the Guard? I just can't believe it!" He really couldn't. Rick's example had motivated him more than any other and no way was he going to let the man just quit like that.

Pulren Marsh
Your favorite Uncle

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Friend in Need (Ricky)

Postby Ricky Maze on April 4th, 2015, 4:13 am

To hear Pulren mention the idea of this place always being home and how nothing would change that, it surprisingly put a bit of ease into Ricky's own mind now that he knew the younger man felt such a way. Indeed Zeltiva was a place many called home and for some it was the only home they'd come to now, it truly did serve as a bastion of safety and enlightenment for those that dwelt here for long. "Bahaha! Yeah Oi... well d'at ain't an important subject t' share, besides Oi'm pretty sure Oi ain't de only one who's been busy! Ye probably chased around a few skirts yer self while yew were away." He challenged with arms crossed as he could only imagine what other things Pulren might've enjoyed in his own little free time, he reckoned the trip outside the city's own borders was worth the experience alone, but only a naive fool wouldn't take into account the other possible things to "dabble" with in the world.

By the sound of though the best thing to start with were the two heaviest of furniture, which to Ricky sounded like the best option to go with as they could handle the lighter stuff separately. It wouldn't be too long before Pulren would have all his essentials moved back into his own place once more! Of course that didn't stop the younger Wave Guard from saying his piece about Rick's own resignation, granted he decided to give the father a bit of a push about it. "Now now, Oi know it's a bit o' a kicker but after Oi got back home from Syliras, t'ings just didn't feel roi an' Oi was already under a bit o' stress from de trip. Really Oi just needed a break from it all, granted it was a step down from what Oi was used t' doin'." He admitted with a sigh as he bent over to grasp the side of their first cargo, he waited until Pulren had a firm grip before he himself lifted it up. He hadn't expected to feel the weight he had to carry but he quickly adapted to its measure, therefore remained undaunted by it while he maintained leverage with Pulren's own end. "Besides Oi just needed t' find a sense o' normalcy in me life, after everyt'in d'at happened back in spring. Really it's just been everyt'in' in general that's led for cause with a break, Oi'm not as young an' energetic as Oi once was after all."

There he went saying how old he was even when he still had plenty of years to live out, even so he still felt far from the younger version of himself even now. Perhaps it was because of the fact he'd learned so much, faced so many encountered obstacles and overcame them one right after another. "It's not like Oi completely quit eit'er, just not sure how soon Oi wanna join de force again is all." He added for the same of a peaceful argument, even though the reason itself felt weak coming from the heart. Truthfully Ricky somehow felt like he had started to miss those days, the good days where he actually quite enjoyed his job most, where he felt proud to go home after calling it a day as a guard. He still felt loyal to the city without a doubt and even more so to the people, a sense of honor greatly influenced by the task the job provided when he served at the time. How long was he part of it? Two years? That's right! He joined back in 512 AV near the end of autumn, and resigned only just before winter started. Then the big freeze hit, and from there things went further downhill.

Come t' t'ink o' it shyke happened last season an' Oi still couldn't do anyt'in, an' it sure as petch didn't feel roi just sittin' by either. He reckoned in silence while he listened to whatever Pulren had to say, he had more or less allowed the young man to lead the way since he knew where the house had been located.
Ricky Maze
"Bottom's up!"

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Friend in Need (Ricky)

Postby Pulren Marsh on April 4th, 2015, 5:22 am

Taking the chest up in his own hand, he was glad to have the help and the company. Rick was someone that Pulren fully trusted, well, as much as Pulren trusted people. "Chasing skirts? Yeah, I had my share. One was a snake woman. Pretty crazy. For such a dirty place, the women there were pretty stunning." Zeltiva had its share of beauties, no doubt, but most were more interested than studies of books, not bodies. He smirked, thinking it funny that a married man would ask him such a thing, but Pulren supposed Rick was still a man. He wondered if the temptations of Sunberth would sway the Sarge. he hoped not, but one could never tell.

As the pair made their way off the dock and through the crowd toward the small streets of the Old Quarter, Pulren listened to Sarge's many, many excuses and suppositions about his quitting or not quitting of his post in the Wave Guard. He had learned to listen more and talk less in Sunberth in his guise as Palaren. Though he was back at home and relatively safe, there was no reason not to still practice the same information gathering techniques. Shyke, the crew was still in town, too. They certainly wouldn't get softer with a change of scenery. "Well, all I can say is don't dally or you may come back finding me your equal." He laughed heartily as they approached his cottage.

Putting the chest down at the door, he fished the key out from his leather pants, unlocking the door and opening it, dust settling inside. Anywhere will work. I'm going to have to sort out where this stuff will go but might as well get it all in first. Once the chest was secure, they left and Pulren locked the door again before they returned. "I'm just saying, I plan on making Lieutenant one day, so Sergeant is definitely on my horizon. You should enjoy giving me orders while you can." He laughed again as they returned to the dock and the group of furniture. Pulren pointed at the large wardrobe.

Pulren Marsh
Your favorite Uncle

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Friend in Need (Ricky)

Postby Ricky Maze on April 6th, 2015, 5:50 am

It brought about a good bit of mirth out of Ricky when Pulren admitted he had indeed done a little chasing around for women, a comical grin plastered on his expression as the fisherman could only imagine the fun the Wave Guard might've had. Indeed Rick himself often wondered what it must feel like to have such a freedom, not that he couldn't recall it before his marriage but he never exactly indulged in that sort of fun, or at least not as often as he wished he did before then anyways. Now that he'd been married it was only natural that he would recollect those times, and ponder on the amount of freedom that came with it since he'd become a married man. Commitment of course had been something he'd grown serious about, even when his curiosities flared up he still reflected on the one thing that truly mattered. Perhaps it was the fact he loved Telion so strongly that made it easier, or that both she and Martin loved him as well. Either way you looked at it, nothing else mattered when it came to those two. Still... a snake woman though. Pulren probably referred to a Dhani, unless it was a human lady with an fetish for snakes. Sunberth could be weird like that, for all Ricky knew at least.

"Oh? D'at so?" He countered at Pulren's remark of equality within rank, he at least chuckled a bit before he said anything else. "Well rank may be one t'ing, but ye gotta remember Oi still got a couple o' years on ya mate." He argued with a smirk as they finally started to reach the place where they were to put the chest, he stood tall with arms crossed while Pulren unlocked the door for a bit, until they finally moved it inside to where the guard could later situate it however he chose. "Aye, while d'at may be Oi was never one t' like givin' orders. Oi only did what little Oi could t' help train d'ose under me really." He admitted with a passive look to the side, a scratch underneath his ear lobe to follow while they continued their return to the docks. Once they arrived and Pulren signaled that the wardrobe was next the bear followed alongside him, hands placed at the bottom of it while he tried to grasp it firmly beforehand. "Oi will say d'is t'ough, if Oi do come back an' ye 're a Sergeant or even a Lieutenant, d'en its because ye did it on yer own ability. Just know ye do me proud mate, since Oi was de one who trained ya as a recruit an' all." He admitted while he actually managed to grip the wardrobe in a balanced manner.

He had to admit this thing had a bit more weight to it than the chest did, yet while that may have initiated challenge it wasn't nothing the fisherman couldn't tackle. "So lad what comes next? Ye settle down? Find a girl? Start a family o' yer own kin?" He prodded while the two would continue to move the furniture along to Pulren's place, this time Ricky wasn't afraid to lead though since he knew where to go now.
Ricky Maze
"Bottom's up!"

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Friend in Need (Ricky)

Postby Pulren Marsh on April 6th, 2015, 7:42 am

Rick surely had some years on him. He wondered if when a man got older if he got so humble or if that was just Rick's way. The way that he spoke about Pulren's own ability and pride of helping others, it was just a bit to take sometimes. He knew it was legitimate and real coming from his senior, but it was still hard to grasp that someone could be so...good all the time. It was something to help him, something to aspire to. He never thought he could ever be so completely optimistic though.

As they took up the awkward wardrobe and started hauling it back, Pulren looked around at the scenery, felt the dirt under his feet. This was home. He had suffered in the little broom closet on the dead island and froze in the Quay. Here, though, Syna was smiling and his blood , salt and life was waiting for him. "I've got to get back to training, mate. I'm really throwing myself in hard with the Guard now, so that I can really learn some skills to help me in life." He didn't want to Pal's little pal, pining away as others grew and took their prizes. Where was his prize?

When they got to the house, Pulren started lowering the wardrobe. "We'll have to take it low to get it in here." Once the pair managed the awkward pushing and pulling, he smiled and clapped his friend on the shoulder. "Another trip down." He didn't bother locking up when he left. They were not going that far and surely someone wouldn't rob from Guards in such a fashion. They got back and he gingerly placed his chair horizontally on top of his desk before taking up an end of it. "How's crime here? Any big changes since I left?"

Pulren Marsh
Your favorite Uncle

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Friend in Need (Ricky)

Postby Ricky Maze on April 14th, 2015, 5:51 am

With the response Pulren had Ricky's smile only slightly diminished at that moment, the idea of it sounded noble for sure and while Ricky commended it he also had a couple feelings against it. Still he managed to remain cheery about the topic and in turn lent his own two sense into it, hoping that the words would actually sound like wisdom to the younger man. "Aye, not a bad goal at all mate. Just bear in mind de Guard isn't by all means a priority, it can help ya out but it can also git in de way as well. Oh an' dun be t' focused on how much skill ye can gain too, remember d'at while ye 're doin' yer t'ing d'at what's important is how ya enjoy doin' it." He added with a friendly wink to the eye for added effect, hopeful that his words might actually sink in to give Pulren food for thought. It was after one of the several reasons why Ricky decided he needed a break, to clear his head and realize that obstacles such as skill or power shouldn't be in the way.

There were many ways to deal with such obstacles, and generally it worked best to take a step back, and then look at the whole picture before in order to figure something out. So far that's worked well for Ricky, although he'd admittedly wondered from time to time how his brethren were doing. "Aye." He agreed when they'd arrived and Pulren suggested to take the wardrobe in low, he followed the guardsman's lead then before he finally went along and moved his section into the building. "Yep! Pretty soon we'll 'ave it all stocked in 'ere, t'en ye've got a lot o' organizin' t' do." He mused after the clap of the shoulder, already the two were on their way back for the next piece they were to move.

The desk was the next object it seemed and with it the chair, which would be more of a trial with balance when they would begin to move it. "Oi wouldn't know, Oi ain't been part o' de Guard remember?" He jested as he lifted his end to continue the same steps as before, of course now he had to work in unison with Pulren to avoid tilting the desk any, lest the chair fall off due to imperfect balance. "Really t'ough Oi'd like t' say it's been quiet, only incident we had was last season when de big freeze hit. Someone apparently sabotaged de city rations fer de season, thus led de city into a period o' starvation." He explained briefly as they moved. "Apart from d'at t'ough, everyt'in has been great. New season an' new year, so far all 'as been good." He continued with a bit of a doleful grin on his face, mostly because he'd started to expect something was abound. Usually when disaster did strike like last season, it would happen during what appeared to be a promising start. The asylum breakout was just the perfect example for one, and granted its happened to Ricky time and time again; he easily suspected something could go wrong.
Ricky Maze
"Bottom's up!"

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Next