PM to join Party for a Spider

Drusilla's birthday party

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The westernmost tip of Kalea, Wind Reach is home to an amazing group of people and their giant eagle mounts. [Lore]

Party for a Spider

Postby Drusilla on February 14th, 2015, 12:48 pm

"No problem at all, Chickadee. I found books on Pavi at the Enclave. I can pass it to you once I've studied a bit more myself... I tend to mix up sentences and butcher them. But I believe it entertains Zhol." Drusilla smiled at the girl and then glanced at Zhol. How were they so ignorant of one another? It was baffling in a way. The more she thought about it the more she wanted to laugh. She suppressed a giggle and moved on. Her room wasn't of that much interest...

She suddenly was aware that Zhol had said nothing in awhile, "Verda? Is something wrong?" Her brother was rarely quiet like this and she enjoyed the chatter they kept going. Had Azira said something to him? She gave a mental sigh, these three were the people she deemed 'family'. A mismatched web of people, but these were the people she trusted most... If only they could manage to get along with one another...

Drusilla caught eyes with Azira and quickly looked away. She knew enough to not look her in the eyes. In fact, it was best to pretend she wasn't there. That's how she liked it and Drusilla tried to treat her this way. But Azira seemed to find the slightest things flustering. Most wouldn't of cared about the arrows, but Azira did. Why did such small sentiments make her so uneasy?

"Next is Turrin's room. Please don't mess with anything inside. In fact I don't normally go into his room while he's gone, except to change the bedding and change the flowers on his nightstand." It wasn't that she wasn't allowed to go in Turrin never really cared where she went. It was more of Drusilla respecting the Endal's space. Out of habit she knocked on the door before opening it.

Common|Symenos|Nari|Pavi

My Girls
Drusilla|Lyn'nice|
Piper|
Sioffra
Drusilla
New mother

Words: 272571
Joined roleplay: August 14th, 2010, 6:55 am
Race: Symenestra
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 2
Featured Thread (1) Overlored (1)

Party for a Spider

Postby Khara on February 15th, 2015, 11:59 pm

Where Drusilla suppressed a laugh - though Khara wasn't entirely sure why she had - Khara barely managed to keep the small giggle that left her under control. The back of her hand that was quickly pressed to her mouth helped some. Zhol being amused at mix up with words was something Khara was well aware of, she knew her own attempts at common sometimes ended up with unexpected results that always seemed to entertain him. It was one of the few ways Khara had learned to know when she had said something incorrectly, not in a bad way, more in some oddly endearing way that she almost looked forward to when she began experimenting with Pavi.

A glance was given to the two others, embarrassment flooding in the wake of her slight outburst. Gods, if things were awkward now what was it going to be like once they actually sat down to relax after the tour? The whisperings between Zhol and Azira wasn't exactly helping matters, either. Khara tried to push it all from her mind as they continued on.

Then they came to Turrin's room and Khara immediately felt herself tense. It was one thing to be inside the Aerie at Drusilla's invitation, but to actually enter the Endal's private space? That seemed all kinds of wrong, especially with the respectful way that Dru knocked before entering and the small warning she gave them. It was only out of a sense of politeness that she allowed herself a look inside and her heart dropped a bit. Sure it was full of things, and rather beautiful in it's own way, but the hinting of dust that had gathered and the overall undisturbed tidiness spoke all too well of the missing owner.

Turrin had been the first Endal that Khara had ever really interacted with and his kindness as not something that she would ever forget. The small pang at his absence was unfortunate but as Khara glanced towards Drusilla she could only begin to guess what it must be like for her. The room wasn't decorated how she had imagined Turrin would do, so it must have been more of Dru's handiwork. The care in where the candles were placed for the light they offered, the soft fabric that was draped to soften the otherwise plain furnature, all of it spoke of something that Khara couldn't quite put her finger on.

Not until she glanced at Zhol, at least. Her attention quickly shifted back to Drusilla and Khara couldn't help but fidget as she felt the words start tumbling from her before she could put a stop to them. "It's very nice in here. You did a lovely job, Dru."

"Nari" | "Common" | "Pavi"
Image Image Image
Khara
Lost Little Sparrow

Words: 660741
Joined roleplay: July 4th, 2014, 6:17 am
Race: Human, Inarta
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Overlored (1) Wind Reach Seasonal  Challenge (1)
2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Party for a Spider

Postby Zhol on February 18th, 2015, 3:49 am

Azira's answer came dripping with sarcasm, of course it did, but there wasn't the same bite behind it as usual; for once, Azira's defense against whatever had been bothering her was not a strong offence aimed at Zhol. She was almost behaving like a normal person; or perhaps this was just what she was like, when you took away the bow and the wilderness, and pushed her outside her comfort zone. Not a wounded animal anymore; just wounded.

"I know I don't know you very well," he admitted, still keeping his voice quiet enough to not be overheard, "But you were me, you'd probably be worrying about whether or not Drusilla really does like the gift you got her, or if she's just saying that to be polite." He shot a quick glance towards Dru and Khara, making sure they hadn't progressed too far ahead on the tour. "I didn't even find out about this until last night, after the market had closed. At least you didn't show-up empty-handed."

He let that sentiment linger, another glance in the direction of the others, his body urging him to catch up, and very nearly starting without his mind's consent. "I have never known Drusilla to lie," he assured; reflex grazed his fingers gently across Azira's arm in a fleeting few seconds of attempted comfort. "If she says she liked it, then she did, and there's nothing to worry about."

He left it at that, quickening his pace to catch up with Khara and Dru. He let his expression grow into a broad smile. "Nothing wrong, sister," he replied, feeling his gaze being drawn towards Khara, and hastily steering it away before the glance became a magnetised stare. "Azira and I were just talking about how much tidier your room is than mine."

He loitered in the doorway, close behind Khara, struggling to fight the urge to stand just a little closer, to take hold of the hand that hung oh so temptingly by her side, instead of trying his utmost to look at anything but it. "Wow," he said, peering around at Drusilla's handiwork. "I'm jealous. You're going to have to give me some tips so I can make my room look less boring and empty."

"Pavi" | "Common" | "Nari" | "Symenos"
Dad Thoughts | Dinah Thoughts | Khara Thoughts
This template was made by Khara. She was bribed with coffee and jammy dodgers.
Zhol
Carry on, wayward son.

Words: 710796
Joined roleplay: July 10th, 2014, 4:45 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Wind Reach Seasonal  Challenge (1)

Party for a Spider

Postby Azira on May 10th, 2015, 11:32 pm

The man's persistence was exasperating. He seemed to be having trouble understanding that she had no desire to make conversation. Why couldn't he just pay attention to Drusilla's tour and leave her in peace? She was self-conscious enough without having him asking after her welfare. Was her vulnerability and discomfort so plain to see? She wanted to blend into the background, or better still go back in time and prevent herself from coming in the first place. The latter was impossible and Zhol wasn't going to allow her to get away with the former. It had been stupid of her to come but there was nothing she could do about it now, exact make good of a bad situation. If she wanted to survive this party then she needed to get rid of the horse boy's attention and try to make herself as unnoticeable as possible after that. It wouldn't be easy to accomplish but perhaps she could rid herself of her unwanted companion for starters by being rudely blunt.

She waited, allowing him to give her the ammunition that she could use against him once he left her an opening. It irked her that tried to compare himself to her. She was nothing like him, nothing! And why did he need to have brought a present? It was clear that his presence alone was enough of a gift for the Symenestra. He wasn't out of place at this party, gift or no gift, because she was the odd one, even if she had followed conventions. There was no easy chatter between herself and Drusilla and it was apparent that the spider found it easier to speak with the others and draw them into conversation. Azira was missing that. She had no desire to engage in conversation and she was fairly sure that Drusilla knew it. Every attempt at including her was going to be awkward so ignoring her - unless she chose not to be ignored, of course - would be far better.

He kept looking towards the others and it was clear that their whispering together was being noticed. Drusilla actually went so far as to ask Zhol if something was wrong. He'd have to reassure her no doubt and so she spoke quickly before he had a chance to say anything else or move to join the other two. "I'm not you. You're not me. I don't care what she thinks about the gift. Like you said, you don't know me very well. Not well at all," she hissed. Yet he still seemed to believe that she cared, trying to offer more words that he believed to be comforting, no doubt. She fixed her eyes on the other two, determined to ignore him from here on out. The thought of catching up with the them was just entering her mind when his fingers brushed off her arm. The huntress didn't simply flinch at the contact, she actually moved away from him. A quick step to the side, arm jerked in protectively close to her side and turned wild and horrified eyes upon him. It was too late for her to hide it and he'd have to blind to miss it. She forced herself to recover, to try to smooth her features into an almost bored expression but she was fairly sure that she failed at that.

"Petch!" she swore, the sound coming out louder than she'd intended as she watched Zhol's retreating back. It was a strange outburst perhaps, but not one that she expected the others to take note of; she could have been swearing at or about anything after all. She pressed her lips tightly together, rubbing the spot where he'd touched her as if he'd hit it. A glare shattered her attempt at a facade and her arms were crossed over her chest but the man was already too engaged with the others to take any notice of her. A sigh escaped her before the annoyed expression collapsed and she was left looking pensive, caught up in her own thoughts, wondering why he was being so nice to her. Why was everyone trying to be nice to her? She trailed after the others, a dark look fixed on Zhol as he moved forward to expect the next room, Turrin's. She couldn't care less what was in there or how it looked, the teen too absorbed in her own thoughts. Why had he had to touch her? Why couldn't she just react like a normal person? She didn't want anyone to touch her, didn't trust anyone to be willing to allow them to touch her. Well Drusilla had managed to hug her but that was different. She was female, Zhol wasn't. Men weren't to be trusted in Azira's experience. She was sure that he'd have something more to say to her about that. He just had to see to the others first. He'd probably come back soon enough to try to be her friend again and the huntress wasn't sure how she was supposed to deal with that.

The room was afforded a quick glance, the huntress not really taking it in, before she stepped away from its entrance and waited for the tour to move on.
Nari | Common
Template courtesy of Khara
Last edited by Azira on August 10th, 2015, 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
4 out of 5 active threads

Azira
Prodigal Daughter

Words: 907811
Joined roleplay: August 31st, 2013, 3:43 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) 2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Party for a Spider

Postby Drusilla on May 21st, 2015, 11:18 am

Drusilla stopped at Azira's yell and looked at her questioningly, blinking a few times. "Azira?" She didn't have to say anything else to the Avora. The fact that she had been noticed and attention had been brought to her was enough. All of this came with a mental sigh, even at a time that was supposed to be easygoing Azira was guarded. And while Drusilla wanted to take her aside and find out what was wrong. She knew not to. It wouldn't do any good anyway. Azira would just clam up. If she was ever going to speak to people, it would have to be on her terms.

She turned to Khara, "Thank you Chickadee. I had to try and find a way to make it seem manly. Deep reds seem to work for that here in Wind Reach, which is funny to me as Symenestra Marriage Gowns are a deep red." She shrugged, "It shows how different two places can be! I'm not sure what the Myrians find manly or girly, I should find out...."

Drusilla chuckled at Zhol, "Have me over to see, you do should!" She instantly knew she had messed that up. "Indoor plants and earth tones would work more for you I believe. Maybe a small herb garden? Oh and also....Her to be ignore. Her be let." She did a handsign to back up what she said.

"The last thing is the bath, as we use the other room for....storage. I can't say whether this bath is better or worse than other baths. I've never gone into another aeries' bath so." She opened the door and let them in.

Common|Symenos|Nari|Pavi

My Girls
Drusilla|Lyn'nice|
Piper|
Sioffra
Drusilla
New mother

Words: 272571
Joined roleplay: August 14th, 2010, 6:55 am
Race: Symenestra
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 2

Party for a Spider

Postby Khara on May 23rd, 2015, 6:03 pm

This was a disaster, Khara was sure of it, but everyone was being polite enough to not point it out. She hadn't really thought this all out, she had never asked how well anyone got along with anyone else, nor had she taken her own conflicting feelings into account. Dru seemed to be taking it all in stride, easily adapting to the quirks of her web but everyone else...?

It was obvious there was something disagreeable between the two Avora. Between Azira's slight outburst that Khara had to force herself to not look back towards - she knew first hand how much the huntress hated having anyone judge her, especially a lower caste member - and Zhol's vague comment about them discussing his room... There were too many strange conjectures that could be made and Khara hated herself for even considering any of them. She didn't think of herself as jealous, but in that moment she certainly didn't feel blameless, especially at the strange twinge that came with watching Drusilla speak back to Zhol in Pavi once more. Or, at least, she thought that's what language it was, the little hand gestures that Drusilla did were a bit clumsy but they certainly seemed to have a purpose.

She tried her best to keep a smile through it all, no matter the growing discomfort with a situation she'd apparently caused, again reminding herself that this was for Drusilla and so long as the Symenestra was enjoying herself then it was all worth it. Was Dru enjoying it though? It was hard to tell with how she lead the trio through the Aerie. Just another thing to fret over, Khara supposed. At least this was all good practice for trying to hide how you felt from others. That's the best you can come up with? Her thoughts accused and Khara instantly redoubled her efforts to look as blissfully unaware of the awkwardness that lingered between everyone.

The next door offered another distraction, as did Dru's description. Khara had heard that the rooms in the Eagle Aeries offered private baths, but she hadn't really known whether to believe it. It did make a certain about of sense, though - you never saw an Endal in the public baths, though without their usual finer clothing and adornments it was somewhat hard to tell what caste anyone was there.

As the door to the bath was opened, Khara couldn't help but be envious. She wasn't really the sort to be uncomfortable around others, most of the time she just focused on the task of getting clean and getting back to her room or to the kitchens after a long day's work. It must be nice to have your own, though. To really be able to take your time and relax, to not have to worry if there was space in the warmer scented waters for a Chiet to risk using them without earning the ire of the upper castes. To not have to worry if glances cast your way were simple curiosity or something more. And with Turrin not around, Dru had them all to herself?? Lucky.

A thought crossed her mind as she looked to the waters and then downward as if she could peer through the layers of stone to see the rest of Wind Reach far below them. To simply get to the Aeries was a task that required scaling numerous steps and she couldn't recall watching Dek head this way laden with buckets or anything like that.

"How do they get the warm water all the way up here?" She asked, her curiosity blatant though she still managed a nervous shrink away from how her voice seemed to echo back to her from the empty room.

"Nari" | "Common" | "Pavi"
Image Image Image
Khara
Lost Little Sparrow

Words: 660741
Joined roleplay: July 4th, 2014, 6:17 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Wind Reach Seasonal  Challenge (1)
2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Party for a Spider

Postby Zhol on June 18th, 2015, 10:00 am

A herb garden?

It was one of those things were, when you initially suggested it, it seemed strange and preposterous. Herbs grew in the wild. They grew outside, under the open sky, not down in the depths of a volcanic cave. Zhol had never really understood the concept of bringing plants inside at all, save perhaps for flowers when you were trying to win the affection - or forgiveness - of someone you hared for; but the people who lived permanently in static places seemed to like doing that, and Zhol had learned to simply shrug it off as one of the oddnesses that such people had.

But then, not flowers, not attractive foliage, but herbs. Zhol didn't know much about herbalism, though admittedly it was something he'd considered trying to learn about, especially recently. Kami at the stables made many of the medicinal remedies that they used to treat injured horses, and Zhol had always been fascinated by the premise, but not really comfortable enough or confident enough to ask her to explain. He wondered if perhaps Khara knew anything about it, considering how much time she spent in the wilderness, but he hadn't managed to find a way to ask her, either. Of course, Drusilla knew none of this, so why would she suggest such a thing?

Because it will smell like outside, a voice in his mind offered helpfully, trying it's hardest to sound like Dru. It was right too, that little imaginary voice: that was exactly the sort of reasoning that his Symenestra sister would use to suggest such things. She'd seen first hand how Zhol reacted to being trapped beneath a mountain sometimes; if he couldn't live outside, in a tent, the way he was accustomed to, then perhaps he could find a way to bring the outside to him.

He remained silent as Khara enquired about the way the water was moved around inside the mountain; it was something that he was curious as well, but had decided to keep to himself this time. "Up," he muttered sagely under his breath, recalling the not-particularly-enlightening answer that he'd received when he'd asked about the smoke.

"Pavi" | "Common" | "Nari" | "Symenos"
Dad Thoughts | Dinah Thoughts | Khara Thoughts
This template was made by Khara. She was bribed with coffee and jammy dodgers.
Zhol
Carry on, wayward son.

Words: 710796
Joined roleplay: July 10th, 2014, 4:45 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Wind Reach Seasonal  Challenge (1)

Party for a Spider

Postby Azira on July 2nd, 2015, 10:35 pm

The huntress gritted her teeth, eyes downcast to avoid the Symenestra's questioning gaze. Of course, Drusilla would be the one to look around and try to unravel what had just taken place between herself and the other Avora. Khara didn't so much glance in her direction, which Azira was glad about but the spider would be the one interested in making sure there was no conflict. It wasn't her fault that the horse boy had tried to be "friendly" as he no doubt considered himself to be. He'd had no right to make assumptions about her and certainly not to touch her.

Her eyes flickered up as she lost Drusilla's attention and breathed a sigh of relief as she became aware that she had faded back into obscurity. Their hostess was too busy continuing her tour and Khara and Zhol seemed quite absorbed in it as well. The horse boy hadn't even bothered to look back at her.

Scowling, she moved forwards so that she wasn't too far behind the others but she kept some distance between them. Close enough that she could hear what was said, including any quiet asides. Not that they were saying anything of interest. Drusilla was chattering away in Common about red things and men, or at least that's how it sounded. It sounded peculiar to her, especially the odd gown to which she kept referring. She had no idea what a "wedding" was. It was a Common word that she hadn't heard before. She tried to puzzle over it. She gave up though as soon as that strange tongue came from the spider's lips. One that the woman obviously couldn't speak very well as there was a bit of hesitation in her voice. The meaning was completely lost on the huntress and she wondered if that was the point, if it was some remark about her that was only meant for Zhol's ears. Back to Common again to talk about herbs that certainly wasn't about her and then back to that strange language again with the hand signs.

Just like that, the tour continued as if there had been no interruption at all. She sighed, remaining reluctantly in tow as the baths were opened to them. It wasn't the first private bath that she'd seen but that didn't stop resentment from stirring within her. Why did the Endal get to bathe in the privacy of their own rooms while she had to go down to the Tisuma Baths and get looked at? Well, it was only the men's looks that bothered her but that was beside the point; it wasn't fair. The privilege that came with having a giant bird like you was unreal. It was a privilege that you could gain in other ways but she certainly didn't want to be an Endal's bed warmer. The thought of it had her shuddering slightly before she looked sharply at Drusilla.

Was that how she'd gained her place here? The idea was quickly dismissed. It would be too strange although there were rumours of course. Turrin wasn't a typical Endal, he was weird. It'd be just like him to let someone stay in his rooms without expecting something in return. He was an odd one to be sure but even he had managed to gain the prestige and respect that Azira pined for.

Khara looked to be in awe of the sight but the huntress tried to affect a look of boredom. She was far from bored, more frustrated than anything else. She shouldn't have come and she knew it and she hated that Drusilla and Zhol had tried to be kind to her as if they sensed her vulnerability in this situation. She wanted the tour to be over, for the formalities and exchanges to be over so that she could return to her own space as soon as possible.

Despite her attempts at boredom, curiosity still managed to flicker into her gaze at the simple question that the game scout voiced. The Avora had never considered before how the waters came to be there. A natural spring or one that had been constructed by reimancers perhaps? A heat source in their volcanic home wouldn't have been hard to come by so if it was directed to the right place, you could have a heated bath. She didn't know for sure of course, she was only guessing but she waited for an answer, hoping that Drusilla could shed some light on the subject.
Nari | Common
Template courtesy of Khara
4 out of 5 active threads

Azira
Prodigal Daughter

Words: 907811
Joined roleplay: August 31st, 2013, 3:43 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) 2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Previous