Completed Masks of Smoke

reflected in blind mirrors.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This lazy agricultural settlement rests on the swampy shores of the Middle Suvan at the delta of The Kenash River. The River's slow moving bayou waters have bred a different sort of people - rugged, cultured, and somewhat violent. Sprawling plantations of tobacco and cotton grow on the outskirts of the swamp in the rich Cyphrus soils, while the city itself curls around the bayou and spawns decadence and sins of all sorts. Life is slower in Kenash, but the lack of pace is made up for in the excesses of food and flesh in a city where drinking, debauchery, gambling, slavery, and overbearing plantation families dominate the landscape.

Moderator: Gossamer

Masks of Smoke

Postby Estrellir Konrath on November 30th, 2014, 9:58 pm

Fall 87-91, 514 AV
Continued from here.

“I will not cut off my hair.”

And that was it. Defeated, Escanis left the room. With a sigh, Estrellir allowed herself one last look in the mirror. She’d never sacrifice her curly mane to get a practical bob like her sister, convincing herself that hairstyle was a valuable weapon to every girl. She had, however, let Escanis cut a few strands and style them into bangs just like hers. It gave Estrellir a more modest look, almost shy if it wasn’t for the rebellious glint in her violet eyes.

Grimacing, she tugged at the green and white dress she’d borrowed from her sister’s wardrobe. Like most people, Escanis was taller than her by several inches, but they had the same bone structure and the younger girl worked out far more than she did. The dress fit well enough.

Sitting at her desk, she opened a notebook and went over her list again. Over the last few days, she’d observed Escanis as much as possible, noting little mannerisms and body language. If she was to impersonate her sister in public, she was determined to do it properly. Although Escanis was known as a wallflower, hardly ever attending parties and social gatherings, Estrellir still wanted to play her convincingly. The hairstyle could be explained, but she couldn’t have anyone associating the younger girl with the aloof owner of Konrath’s Detective Bureau.

She’d memorized everything she could learn about her sister in that short amount of time, so her gaze flew over the extensive list in little to no time. With a nod, she stood and crossed the room. Escanis walked delicately, with slight hesitation in her step. As she tried to mirror that, Estrellir noticed her knees weakening and her pace softening with a sort of nervous air.

Good. She only had to remember that feeling to walk like her sister. The mirror approved too. Body language, gestures and glances – those were the things she had focused on. A respectful knock at her door announced the arrival of her carriage. The time was up, sink or swim.

Estrellir left her suite to meet Isaac Morealis in Kenash.
Last edited by Estrellir Konrath on June 16th, 2015, 9:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Estrellir Konrath
She Who Finds What Was Lost

Words: 338742
Joined roleplay: September 13th, 2013, 8:24 pm
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 6
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Artist (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) Power Fork (1)

Masks of Smoke

Postby Estrellir Konrath on May 24th, 2015, 8:38 pm

Estrellir smiled as she waded through the shallow water that rimmed the paths of Fountain Plaza, sandals in her left hand. Isaac turned around to glance at her briefly before he chose a white couch and gestured for her to sit. “Would the lady enjoy a drink?”

She lowered her gaze at the playful edge in his tone. Her sister would’ve blushed by now, but Estrellir couldn’t bring her cheeks to change color. It was unusually warm, but the water cooled her. “Please. Why don’t you surprise me?”

They’d met at the edge of Fountain Plaza and taken a short stroll on the white cobblestone paths before settling down. Theirs was a social meeting rather than business and the location had been chosen accordingly. Visiting the Plaza at night would’ve been suggestive, during the day it served as comfortable and relaxing environment for two Dynasts to meet and chat. Due to the reduced number of slaves, Isaac had to approach the bar and order in person.

His brief absence allowed Estrellir to cast a look around and sigh in relief. None of the faces around seemed familiar. Eventually he returned with a pink cocktail and a tumbler of rum for himself. So he enjoyed Morealis products or at least displayed the image. She noted that and tugged it away in her mind.

When Isaac raised his glass, she hastily took a sip of her drink, tasting grenadine and what she thought was whiskey or gin. She wasn’t sure what kind of alcohol her sister preferred – or if she drank at all – but the bartender had done a good job at least. “It’s good.”

Isaac smiled, every bit the gentleman. “I’m glad to hear it. So, Escanis… Tell me, what else do you do besides martial arts?”

She moved her feet in the water, looking at the webbing between her toes, before looking up. Escanis was too timid to withstand glances from others, so she lowered her gaze after a tick or so. “Not much really. I read whatever finds its way into the household and I write occasionally. Mother makes sure I don’t neglect my lessons.” Biting her lip, she reminded herself not to overplay her sister’s naiveté.

Isaac didn’t seem to notice though. “Interesting. You must read a piece of yours to me someday.”

Estrellir who was sipping her unbearably pink cocktail spluttered. “I’m really not very good. It’d be less than entertaining… but if you insist…”

His dark eyes glittered as he teased her. As she clumsily deflected his arguments, Estrellir wondered how long he’d keep up the game. They’d been sitting together for at least a bell, if not longer, and still not moved beyond the stage of small talk and light banter. At that point, it had become clear that she had to bend the image of the timid Konti a little to get what she wanted.

Receipt :
1 sm for entrance inc. seat at Fountain Plaza
2 gm for cocktail ‘Pink Lady’
= 2 gm, 1 sm
Estrellir Konrath

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Artist (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) Power Fork (1)

Masks of Smoke

Postby Estrellir Konrath on June 15th, 2015, 9:54 pm

Before long they got up and strolled across the plaza to follow the sweet scent wafting out of a certain shop. Patisserie Novak welcomed its guests with simple white letters, followed by colorful confectioneries and an abundance of blond manes behind the counter. Everyone knew of Novak’s preference, but Estrellir tended to use Draer chocolates to sate her sweet tooth.

As they were led to a table and asked about their orders, she observed Isaac carefully. He smiled at the gorgeous waitress like every Dynast with eyes would, but that was it. No spark in his dark gaze, no suggestive tone. After ordering cake and tea, his gaze fell and hit her expectantly.

Swallowing, Estrellir turned away. “What can you recommend?”

The waitress smiled proudly. “Our specialty would be the macaroons which come in a lot of different flavors. Whatever you happen to fancy today, it’s likely that we’ve got it.”

Licking her lips, Estrellir considered. A quick glance at Isaac confirmed that he was still looking at her. “I’ll have a few of those then.” A few ticks later, she had chosen a selection of different flavors.

As the girl sauntered off, she finally faced Isaac. With a smile, she shrugged her shoulders, almost apologetically. “What can I say? With all that training, I reward myself every now and then. Would you like to try something from my plate when it arrives?”

Although Isaac mirrored her smile, his turned out doubtful. “You read my mind, Escanis. I was wondering, in fact, how you maintained your figure even with the training. The average Dynast doesn’t live a healthy life as I’m sure you know.”

Estrellir held his gaze a tick too long before lowering her head, remembering her persona. “I know, although I cannot say I agree with such a lifestyle. Sweets and the occasional cocktail… Compared to others, my sins are far from spectacular.” She gestured, almost knocking over the plates as they were being served. “I once heard there was a brothel nearby, although I cannot remember where exactly it was supposed to be located.”

At last her chance had come. Estrellir kept her violet eyes wide and fingered a honey-colored macaroon.

Behind his cup of steaming tea, Isaac didn’t bat an eyelash. “That is also what I’ve heard, although I’m surprised a lady such as you would listen to gossip. Since you do, however, let me tell you one more thing.”

Nervous butterflies were wreaking havoc in her stomach as Estrellir leaned over the table. The macaroon turned to crumbs in her hands. One after another, she slid them between her lips as she observed him.

“They say it’s an exclusive club that caters to a man’s darkest pleasures. They say it harbors maidens more beautiful than the moon. Some claim a girl threw herself at their feet and begged them to own her, crying hot tears. Such are the things they whisper about the Caged Sun.” Leaning back in his chair, he laughed.

Receipt :
4 gm for 12 macaroons
= 4 gm
Estrellir Konrath

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Artist (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) Power Fork (1)

Masks of Smoke

Postby Estrellir Konrath on June 16th, 2015, 11:08 am

Perplexed, Estrellir stared at Isaac Morealis. There had been sarcasm and a teasing undertone in his words, but she didn’t know what he wanted to achieve. Was he simply enjoying the company of an innocent young girl such as Escanis? Or was he referring to something else? Had she been found out? There was no doubt he’d exaggerated the pleasures the Caged Sun offered to shock her, but that in itself didn’t mean he knew what she’d met him for. No, he was merely playing the game of words. Dynasts liked dancing around each other and dangle hints before their noses only to snatch them away again, but Isaac seemed to go a step beyond that.

After some consideration, she could only say one thing for certain: He was watching her just like she was watching him. Interesting. So she’d underestimated him. In light of such a clever tongue, his remarks at the party had to be reconsidered as well.

For the time being, however, she struggled to remain Escanis. Covering her mouth with one hand, she gasped lightly. “Is that so? My, I didn’t know Kenash housed such foul establishments! But it also confirms what I’ve said about a Dynast’s lifestyle, won’t you agree?”

Still smiling, Isaac ran a hand through his ebony hair. “I would. I dare say, however, that it’s an integral part of our culture and as such shouldn’t be condemned lightheartedly. It could even be described as part of the glue that holds the system together.”

Estrellir licked her lips. A rebel on top of everything else? It felt too easy to be entirely true. Once again, she didn’t know how to decipher the tone he used with her. “Truthfully? It sounds like that’s a whole lot of credit you give a simple brothel.” Nibbling a macaroon, golden honey and maple leaf, she paused briefly. “I’m curious though. Have you visited this Caged Sun yourself?”

Laughing again, he shook his head. “I was invited by friends multiple times, but I’ve stayed away. Thankfully, my pleasures are easier to satisfy.”

Estrellir took a deep breath. If he told the truth, she’d followed a wrong lead. There was a chance he’d only invented the prostitute Selen to impress his friends. It could be a game he played regularly which would explain his sister backing him in public. She’d learned another thing about him, filing it away carefully: Isaac was a liar and an exceptionally skilled one too.

Which, of course, further complicated things between them. Before she could fully digest his words, however, he already took the next step.

Suddenly he leaned forward. His smile seemed to stretch in front of Estrellir until it filled her entire vision. “May I reveal to you one more secret, Escanis?”

She meant to be confident, but the word came out as a whisper. “Yes?”

Still smiling pleasantly, he snatched a deep red macaroon from her plate. “If you wish to know more about me, don’t try and coax it out of me like this. If, however, you feel the need to do it that way, I can recommend a rhetoric teacher.”
Estrellir Konrath

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Artist (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) Power Fork (1)

Masks of Smoke

Postby Estrellir Konrath on June 16th, 2015, 9:28 pm

Coincidentally, the Caged Sun opened its doors to the public for a single day just after their meeting. With a heavy heart, Estrellir sent out Mell to investigate. She couldn’t risk being seen at the club right after socializing with Isaac, no matter what he said. Despite her doubts, however, the slave girl fulfilled her task with care and diligence.

Her report turned out to be enlightening. Chatting with the cleaning girls and a barmaid, Mell had found out the Caged Sun currently didn’t employ any prostitutes called Selen. One girl had remembered a former employee by that name, but she hadn’t been able to specify when and why she’d left. Mell stressed that the owner seemed to rotate prostitutes to keep things interesting and fresh.

Estrellir dedicated another day to looking into Isaac and anything else that seemed connected to his remarks, but didn’t find anything worth mentioning. Eventually she sent for Escanis to discuss her findings.

Her sister gasped when Estrellir quoted his last statement word by word. “What did you say?”

Estrellir shrugged. “Just mumbled that I didn’t know what he was talking about. He knew better, of course, but he left me alone. We cleared our plates and said goodbye in front of the bakery.”

Escanis blinked, confused. “So he also knows you only pretended to be me to investigate and question him?”

Sighing, Estrellir leaned back against the white window frame. Once again, they were sitting in her suite, their usual meeting place. Escanis was sitting cross-legged on the carpet, basking in the sunlight that cascaded through the open window. The older Konti looked down at her. “I don’t think so. He had no reason to suspect I wasn’t Escanis. He’s never seen you before and we look alike. Just pray that he won’t come into my bureau anytime soon.”

Her sister breathed a sigh of relief.

Estrellir, however, couldn’t rest yet. “You do realize what that means, right? It was a misunderstanding. You have to tell mother about it. Considering the circumstances, I doubt she’ll return to her earlier plans though, so I guess you got what you wanted.”

Escanis lowered her gaze to the floor. A webbed hand followed the beige and white lines on the carpet. “That’s not really what I wanted…”

After they’d agreed on a story Escanis was to tell Estratia Konrath, she left. Estrellir leaned back against the frame and looked out over the earth her ancestors had claimed. Somewhere to the east, Isaac Morealis was probably doing the same. There was one thing she hadn’t shared with her younger sister. It would’ve frightened her to know that Isaac was a far better player at the game of politics and intrigue than Estrellir had anticipated. He could lie, plant false leads and had seen her true intentions through rhetorical tricks.

Of course, Estrellir wasn’t so foolish as to take pride in her rhetoric skill. Far from competent in the art of intelligent conversation, she kept a low profile and avoided attention where she could. All the more important were the things she’d learned about that man over the last few days.

His skills surpassed her own. She’d have to keep an eye on him and his social circle. Only time would tell what he’d do with the things he’d learned about her.

Estrellir smiled, slowly and lazily. Ah, how refreshing, how exhilarating the dance could be!
Estrellir Konrath

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Artist (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) Power Fork (1)

Masks of Smoke

Postby Dravite on June 20th, 2015, 10:26 pm

Estrellir Konrath

XP Award:

• Planning: 2
  • Observation: 2
  • Acting: 1
  • Organisation: 2
  • Disguise: 1
  • Impersonation: 2
  • Intelligence: 1
  • Seduction: 2
  • Socialization: 2
  • Rhetoric: 2
  • Investigation: 2

Lore:

• Seduction: Hair is a girl's best weapon
  • Escanis: The wallflower
  • Acting: Nerves aren't always bad
  • Impersonation: Walk the walk
  • Isaac Morealis: The gentleman
  • Impersonation: Don't overdo it
  • Acting: Breaking character to get what you need
  • Patisserie Novak: Chocolate for a sweet tooth
  • Patisserie Novak: The best macaroons in town
  • The Caged Sun: Will meet your darkest desires
  • Isaac Morealis: Talks the talk
  • Isaac Morealis: Liar, liar
  • Isaac Morealis: A brilliant mind
  • Investigation: A refreshing game

Notes: I couldn’t help myself, the intrigue this story creates was far to enticing not to read the second part, and seen as I was doing that, I thought why not grade it too? Fantastic work, would love to know what happens next! I awarded you quite a few different skills that I thought you were more than deserving of. Let me know if you think I have missed anything here and be sure to edit your grading request!

Dravite
Ra’athi of The Watch Troha to Tavehk

Words: 775240
Joined roleplay: April 20th, 2015, 12:38 am
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Overlored (1) Advocate (1)
2015 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)