Closed An Awkward Meeting(Markus)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A lawless town of anarchists, built on the ruins of an ancient mining city. [Lore]

Moderator: Morose

An Awkward Meeting(Markus)

Postby S'Essy on March 29th, 2015, 2:27 pm

The cheerful, intimate atmosphere quickly changed. S'Essy's body quivered when Kvist hit the table with his hand so hard. Both her father and she looked up at him. smile has vanished and eyebrows raised at him. His face... oh she has seen that face before and it wasn't kind at all. It was scary, serious and full of rage. She just didn't know what happened, did she really say something so bad? But what? Her lover was so irrationally angry, her blood started to boil too. What did he have to do with how she handled her father. What did he know anything about parenting? Even she didn't know anything about it. And most of all, she didn't say they would have to see Niloc again.

The Vantha just closed his eyes, looked away and ignored him. He was too old for that and it was not his business anymore. He didn't care about Markus at all. S'Essy however couldn't believe what just happened. Petch it?! Then he just storms away to the bar for ale. She became furious too because of him. Her eyes didn't show kindness anymore. The Konti's cheek felt warm, she was angry and the same time embarrassed. Niloc opened his eyes and stood up from the table."I ... guess it's better if I depart?" Her eyes wandered to him. "No.. I mean yes. It's time WE depart. Would you be so kind and accompany me to my house? I can't go home alone and certainly I won't go home with him now."

The Vantha only nodded and S'Essy stood up. "Wait me outside, I need a second." Her eyes were fixed on Kvist, she walked there slowly and didn't even know what to think or say or do. She didn't even care if other guests were staring, she had other problems than that. She stepped there, looking down at him. Her purple eyes only showed anger and her mouth also indicated her displeasure. She opened her mouth but no voice came out. She looked at the mugs.

She was shaking her head, then her arm raised. Just needed a tick to decide if she really wanted that. After that without thinking she gave a big slap to Markus' face. Words came more easily now."You... I don't.. What the petch is wrong with you? I have NEVER EVER been so embarrassed by you. Just drink your little shyke here! Be glad you only got this! I will see you at home..." Her eyes were filled with tears which she tried to stop, but she couldn't stop crying, she was so angry.

She might have caused another little scene, but the Konti didn't care as she ran out from the place. She was wiping her tears, what she needed to show Niloc that she was sad. The Vantha waited there, seemingly wasn't affected by the happenings. "Sorry.. hope you aren't cold." He only laughed at that for her surprise. "This is not cold, dear. Really visit Avanthal once. That's cold!" S'Essy just smiled and went to the direction of the Quay.

"Everything alright between you two?" He finally asked. The Healer didn't look back at him, she couldn't. "It's fine! Let's not talk about him!" The Vantha patted S'Essy back gently. "Are you sure? Beca--" S'Essy raised her voice slightly. "I said let's NOT talk about him, I had enough of him for one night!" Niloc just shrugged, though he wanted to say something about it but he found it better to let it bet instead he tried to calm her down. "How about while we're going to your home, I'll tell you some of my tales? So I would start stories of Avanthal..."
Unless I promised one, I can not accept any more threads at the moment! I'm sorry.
ImageImage
S'Essy
Markus' advisor

Words: 267181
Joined roleplay: February 3rd, 2014, 6:16 pm
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

Postby Markus Andres on March 31st, 2015, 1:51 pm

Kvist looked at the second mug of ale longingly. The sooner her words left his mind, the better he would feel. The sooner he could knock it out of his system he could settle down and relax. Mind was still a whirlstorm of thoughts, trying to convince himself that she had not said that, but despite every argument it was felled by the sincerity in her voice. Reinforced by the inexplicable sigh that had come only moments before those damning words. He wasn't sure why she had said them so cold and unfeelingly. As he began to drink from the second mug, he felt someone right by him. Turned his gaze to look at the S'Essy. There was wrath in her eyes. A wrath he didn't understand by any measure. What right did she have to be angry? But that was cut short when he hand rose. He knew what would come next. He knew his cheeks would singe from the impact. But his only defence would be to shoulder tackle her - and despite all his rage, he wasn't about to tackle S'Essy to the ground in a tavern.

As the knight had predicted, he felt her hand come across his cheek. He felt the pain spread like fire from his cheek, but he didn't flinch. Never had he wanted to slap S'Essy more than that moment. She punished him for her saying he would be bad for his daughter? Teeth gritted together as he rose the mug to his lips. That would be the only slap she would be allowed. Another and he would shove her back and away. But it didn't come to that. She matured and rather than physically assaulting she went to words. Hurled at him. He felt the anger rise as he clenched the mug tighter. There was an implication of more when he returned home. But he didn't care. He was glad she left. Didn't want to be around her any longer. Not after that earful of shyke she spewed at him. There were eyes settled on him and he ignored them as he returned to the ale. Devouring the second one in the same manner as the first and started to fish after more silver to toss at the barkeep to keep the supply of ale coming. Another mug came in and Kvist held the mug like it would slip away the moment he let go.

The knight wasn't sure how long he spent in the tavern. But by the time he consumed enough ale to make his mighty frame shift with each step he took, he knew it was time to go. He had only been holding his latest mug without drinking for the past bell or so. Or else he'd end up a corpse on the streets of Sunberth. He cradled the last mug of ale closely as he got up. Words were thrown his way and emerald eyes focused on the man. Couldn't bring his mug? What a stupid rule. But even as he thought that he dropped the mug on the bar. There was still liquid in the damn thing, but he'd come back later for that. He emerged from the warm bar into the cold and perhaps frigid night. Boots steps onto the slippery sludge of snow and gravel mixed together into a delightfully disgusting colour. He took one step towards the Quay. Then decided not to go that specific path as there was a place with suspiciously melted snow and odour that did not scream "pure snow" in the direction. He crossed the steet, found the same there and instead chose the middle of the road. His path was far from straight. Often veering from side to side. The path was far from direct. He even managed to find street he had never been on inside the city as he walked home. Luckily the cold had chased any would be bandits away. The trek home took well over a bell before he found the Quay. He stood for several long ticks outside the main building.

Reminded of what awaited inside. A lover who was mad at him. A father in law? - Who was an utter selfish bastard that Kvist didn't want anything to do with. He hated that S'Essy and the man had spent the evening getting to know one another. The man was a bad influence. It had taken not more than a few exchanged sentences and S'Essy had been utterly turned against him. So far against him that she thought it better - that Kvist was not a part of his daughter's life. He grumbled as he went for the door. He opened the door and found no sounds coming at him from the lower floor. Perhaps they had gone for the sleeping area to talk. Kvist made it up the stairs. As quietly as possible, but he was not entirely in the best mood nor condition to be silent. He soon made it up and found the path to the bedroom he shared with the angry Konti. He paused outside the door. Grabbed the knob and went inside. Ready for either an argument. Or just undressing and getting into bed. He preferred the latter, much more relaxing. But the former was much more likely. Especially when he saw S'Essy was awake. He didn't say anything. Just closed the door behind him and started working on getting the more cumbersome of his clothing off. Disarming himself first from the dagger. From there, it was whatever he found the easiest to remove that went. All the while keeping his eyes from his lover.
Markus Andres
The OTK

Words: 1104443
Joined roleplay: September 14th, 2010, 7:43 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Medals: 3
Featured Character (1) Trailblazer (1)
Overlored (1)

Postby S'Essy on March 31st, 2015, 4:40 pm

Time has passed really quickly while they were walking to the Quay. S'Essy was just listening to Vantha as he was telling stories about his journey. Not much she paid attention too, but when she paid a little, she could hear they were truly adventurous. But she couldn't concentrate because of her lover. She was so angry at him and she didn't understand why was he the angry one? "... Yes Morwen, the beautiful goddess of winter and ice. She is around the world now, she has been here too." Goddess of winter? Her head turned to him. "Is she in Avanthal then?" Niloc nodded and his eyes were shining while he was talking about her. "Yes, yes! Our queen, I'm one of her people. And we have arrived."

Indeed they had, she didn't even notice that. She was really somewhere else in her thoughts. God she was angry so much. And it was time..."Well... I guess. This is it then!" The Vantha's eyes changed to gray which reminded S'Essy for one last question. "I forgot to ask.. your eyes are changing constantly." Niloc gave her a little smile. "Yes, our eyes show our emotions. My eyes are gray now, aren't they? That's because I'm sad but... yes this is it." She couldn't help it, maybe it was nice that he visited but... "I'm sorry, but you will never be my father. It's too late for that, my father will be always Laviku. But I thank you for visiting me and sorry for my attitude. I hope you will have a good life after this. Oh and sorry about my lover, he is really a nice guy, I have no idea what's got into him. Ergh!"

His eyes changed to slightly blue then. "You didn't want to listen to me but you know I would be also just as angry as him when you said: Many of us grow up fine without a father. We are two different race... it's not easy. And it's better this way. " S'Essy raised her eyebrows and needed a chime to understand. Her eyes would have became paler if it could and she felt like there were stones in her stomach. Her eyes widened. "No... NO! But .. PETCH IT! I didn't mean that! I ... I meant it's better that you and mom didn't say together if you don't agree... Oh for Rak'keli, what have I done? I slapped him!!" The Konti freaked out, her lover had every right to be angry. She said something she didn't mean to. And she even slapped him.

Then she tried to calm down and say good bye from her... mortal father properly. "Thank you and I'm sorry it had to be like that. But I will visit Avanthal someday, maybe you will be there too when I do. Take care and get out of this city as soon as possible. Dad!" She hugged him tight and let out a few tears this time. It was hard but this was life and she had to move on. "Live happily, my daughter and I also thank you that you let me have this opportunity. This will be one of my dearest tale." And they parted, S'Essy was still watching as the Vantha went further and further away from her.

And she went inside her room. Reminding herself the terrible act she had done. She changed her dress and waited in the bedroom silently. A bell has passed when Markus came home... pretty strangely. His face was grumpy and his movement was unbalanced. "Darling are you... no that's not important." Yes he was obviously drunk and because of her... This was worse than she thought. She was ashamed of herself now. She stood up from the bed and went to him. "Okay just turn to me for 5 chimes and listen to me, that's all I ask then I leave you alone. I regret what I did, I'm really sorry for what I did and what I said. I didn't realize that I have said something that would hurt you and what I didn't mean. It was my common as always, you misunderstood me because of my own stupidity. I didn't mean it's better for us to grow up without a father. Oh dear not! It would be so much better if we grew up with one and I'm glad my daughter would. What I meant that it was better for my dad and mom that they didn't say together in misery, being unhappy. So.. that's what I really wanted. And you will never see him again don't worry, but he is not a bad man. Neither you. It's me and I'm really sorry." After her monologue, she turned around and went to the bed straight ahead, put her blanket around herself and lied down. Tried not to cry about it, hardly it went. And she didn't want to see what she had done to him. She thought he didn't want to see her either.
Unless I promised one, I can not accept any more threads at the moment! I'm sorry.
ImageImage
S'Essy
Markus' advisor

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Overlored (1)

Postby Markus Andres on March 31st, 2015, 9:45 pm

Kvist wondered if S'Essy had been waiting for him, merely to yell at him some more for being 'embarrassing' in public. Who cared about what some Sunberthian scum thought about them? Kvist's only care was their safety, and her slap might have chipped away part of the image he tried to portray as The Lion. A dangerous mercenary who was not to be trifled with. Something entirely different from his usual self. Normally he wouldn't care to ask about payment, but the first time he had been out he had forgotten to ask and only because the guy who had hired him had been an honest individual had he gotten any payment at all. As the drunk tried to remove his wet boots, his back found the wall and stabilized him from falling. Kvist removed one boot and it fell to the ground. It only took another half chime to remove the final boot. That was about the time S'Essy began to speak. As he heard her voice first, he was surprised there was no anger. No fire in her voice. Second was the use of the word darling. She had buried her hatchet it seemed, but Kvist was still not about to forgive her for what she had done. The slap alone was something he could forgive, but saying he was going to be a bad influence on their daughter... That was a harder thing to swallow. Still he did not look at her. Only when she pleaded for him to look at her did he turn his gaze at her from the wall. In the darkness it was hard to make out distinguishing features. But her general shape could be seen. He undid the belt and pulled off his chainmail as she spoke.

Her apology was articulated, by him, with a dropping of the chainmail on top of the boots. It made a little noise, but by now the other residents should've been accustomed to that sound when Kvist got home from work. But S'Essy had gotten to the meat of the discussion. He misunderstood? Her common was to blame... She rephraser her earlier statement. Kvist felt the majority of his grief and wrath untangle itself from his heart and his breath came a little easier, though now with a very strong scent of alcohol. He had reacted strongly, with reason. But her explanation made it all seem trivial in hindsight. The fact that she didn't think that he was to be a bad influence on their daughter was what he needed to hear. He was still not ready himself to be a father, or so he thought. He wanted to be a father, have sons and daughters (though it seemed fate had decreed only daughters). But he wasn't sure if he was ready to be a father. He was a young man and his destiny lay on the field of battle more often than not. Juggling duties between a girlfriend and the knighthood was easy. But family and knighthood was something else entirely. He should have asked Orion how he did it. He focused on S'Essy again. Leave the future to the future and the present to now.

It made sense what she said. It was true that if they had stayed together they would have been miserable. But Kvist was from a different place. Duty was important to him and a baby necessitated that one put them before themselves. If only more people did that the world would not be overrun by goons of Rhysol. Her father could have stuck around on Mura. Been there for S'Essy. But he chose to leave. Kvist sighed when S'Essy stopped talking and subsequently packed herself in their blanket.

Kvist felt like a fool for having thought negatively about S'Essy. Only the whole situation had gotten to him. And that sucker punch, that misunderstood sentence that had struck him hardest had come at the wrong time. Kvist removed what remained of his clothes as he spoke. A feat that was harder than assumed considering his intoxication.

"You're right. He is not a bad man. Just someone who made a bad decision." Kvist said. Voice slurred with alcohol. "And I should..." A long hard blink. "Not have reacted so aggressively. Just..." The last article of clothing dropped to the floor and he untangled the blanket S'Essy had wrapped herself in. "I... don't know if I'll be a good father... My life is devoted to the knights." He laid down on his back and placed his head on the pillow and covered himself with what little blanket he had managed to wrest from S'Essy. "And I fear my devotion to them, will make me neglect you and our children." Kvist closed his eyes. He paused for a little as he tried to order his thoughts into words. "I hope... you understand that."

Last edited by Markus Andres on June 4th, 2015, 3:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Markus Andres
The OTK

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Overlored (1)

Postby S'Essy on April 1st, 2015, 11:43 am

She closed her eyes, tried to to shut down her brain and sleep. She wasn't successful of course. S'Essy wanted to forget this day... at least some parts of it. She still wished to remember her Father's voice and face and of course his stories which he could tell with so much enjoyment. But she wanted to delete her fight with Markus and the stupid misunderstanding. She was so angry that she didn't know Common so well, she had to start consciously learn it and not only ask once or twice what is what. Easier to say than done it of course.

Taking down his clothes took a lot of time. She opened her eyes when she felt her lover taking place in the bed too, getting some of the blanket from her and he talked to her. She could smell the alcohol and she could hear that he had to concentrate a lot to form sentences for her. But it sounded he forgave her. And he has his worries about him being a good father. And the same thoughts she had as a mother. "It's not just you... I'm not sure if I will be a good mother of my child. But we can do it together, I'm sure." Together? Well he said he might neglect them for knighthood.

And that moment she realized her Call, which was ticking in. She took a deep breath and stirred in the bed to face with her lover. She hoped he still had the will to understand her. Her eyes were still not quite looking at his face... she didn't dare. "I know well you're devotion to the knights, we... both know our devotions to our gods. But, you know that I know that my Call is you." She started, trying to not remember their break up. "And as my Call I will help you in anything you want me to help you with and I will do anything I can. Markus.. you might not have to neglect me too much. I have been thinking about my Call for a while now. Markus, you're Syliran Knight who serves the order, the city and Sylir. And because of that I wanna join the knights too."

She took a deep breath again, hands reached out to his hand, something she could held. "Of course I would offer my service to your order as Rak'keli's healer. I figured this is great way to support you and your cause. I would serve your order, your city and your God this way. What do you think?"
ImageImage
S'Essy
Markus' advisor

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Overlored (1)

Postby Markus Andres on April 2nd, 2015, 8:44 pm

The knight didn't open his eyes when his lover chimed in to his worries. There was still a tiny lingering resentment at her treatment of him at the tavern. Most of it had been forgiven, but tiny bit still clung to the idea that she should have been less direct in her approach. She spoke of her own worries. Similar to his that she would be a bad mother. Kvist didn't believe that. If any of the two would know of how to raise a Konti, she had the best odds of doing it successfully. He couldn't even get into the ocean without his heart rate going up. He'd be the father standing by the shore as his daughter splashed about in the water having fun. S'Essy shifted the subject. Away from her own worries about motherhood, to his devotion to the knights. Was there to be an argument about his devotion to them now? Emerald eyes opened to a darkened room. Did not yet look at S'Essy. Wanting to hear her out before he spoke. Before he defended himself from the perceived threats to his knightly life. Subject changed. Her call. Mentioned often in conjuration with him. Sometimes he wished she'd drop that. Really drop saying it was the call that made her be with him. He wanted it to be more than that - it shouldn't be that what made her be with him. In his drunken state he was about to open his mouth and say this, but she made it to her point. One which caught him blindsided. For long ticks the ceiling was the only thing that filled his vision. A warm hand of a pregnant Konti reached for his nearest hand and he felt a wince come up his arm.

S'Essy... A knight? His immediate response was a resounding no. She was not to be a knight. Her innocence to combat, the oath to Rak'keli. He loved that she was the peaceful part of his life, apart from the occasional slap, that which gave him pause from endless battles. Before he could argue, again, she pointed out the obvious and Kvist was speechless for a moment. Her as a healer. Working to help and heal the knights as her job. She would fit in with the Soothing Waters. Plus it would be easier to scoop her up and bring her to a private bath if she was already at the Waters. She asked for his opinion. Emerald eyes found her and although he was a little off, he was quite satisfied with pressing his lips against half of hers and her lower jaw. With alcohol on his breath he finished the kiss. She would combine the two things that meant the most to him in the world. The knights and herself.

"Gods I love you, S'Essy." He spoke simply. A little louder than he had intended, but he didn't notice. "I love it, you'd save many knights." Voice turn to a mumble and slur at the end as he leaned closer to her. "Are you sure? You'll..ll see a lot of grievous wunds.". There was a pause before he spoke again. "Can I have some more blanket? It is cold..."
Markus Andres
The OTK

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Overlored (1)

Postby S'Essy on April 13th, 2015, 5:17 pm

She could see the confusion in his eyes as she mentioned it. Probably first he imagined her as a knight. It would be terrible, given her recent history with combat. Very first was the sword when they first met. Then there was their training on the ship, kicking his groin. She was too clumsy with combat... at least not very good. The Healer was too nervous and wasn't suited for that kind of job. Though she had to admit, she had to know some to protect herself in Sunberth. She let out a little sigh. Just before he kissed her... which wasn't a very pleasant kiss from him. Kvist was very drunk and his kiss was clumsy too. She could smell his breath.

Oh for the gods what has she done to him? He drank too much because of their misunderstanding. Tomorrow he would have a funny day. "I love you too, darling!" She said it with a little smile. At least he liked the idea and he was fine with it. The Konti hoped he would remember it tomorrow also. As he leaned closer, she could smell the alcohol more. Ugh... "Yeah, I'm sure. And I'm a healer, Markus! I'm here to mend even grievous wounds, don't you think I have met some of them in my life before? I can handle it." She gave some of the blanket to him, but she was careful not allow him to pull too much. In this condition of his, she couldn't really trust him with these. She turned around, let herself to be hugged by him, if he wanted so and laid her head on the pillow. She went to visit her dreams and forget some of that day and look forward to the tomorrow.
ImageImage
S'Essy
Markus' advisor

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Overlored (1)

Postby Sayana on June 25th, 2015, 5:18 pm

S’Essy

Skills:
Skill EXP
Intelligence +1
Socialization +4
Observation +2
Disguise +1
Interrogation +2
Singing +2
Investigation +1
Rhetoric +5
Intimidation +2
Negotiation +2
Persuasion +2
Unarmed combat +1
Planning +1

Lores:
  • Niloc Snowsong: Vantha Father
  • Father's story and melody
  • Two akalak brothers
  • Morwen: Goddess of Winter, resides in Avanthal
  • Negotiation: Offering a sincere apology
  • Goal: To join the knighthood as a healer of Rak'keli

Comments :
Wonderful thread. It was a great read and I enjoyed seeing first their caution and all the conflict that sprouted by meeting S’Essy’s father. Also, it was very cleverly done that I was able to guess who it was just before it was revealed (like the post just before, where they were humming).

Markus

Skills:
Skill EXP
Interrogation +1
Intelligence +2
Planning +1
Philosophy +1
Scouting +1
Intimidation +3
Investigation +1
Persuasion +1
Endurance +1
Land Navigation +1
Socialization +1
Seduction +1

Lores:
  • Niloc Snowsong: S'Essy's Vantha Father
  • Story of S'Essy's father
  • Getting slapped by S'Essy
  • S'Essy's goal to become a healer for the knighthood

Ledger :
Please deduct 4 sm from your ledger for all the ale Markus drank that night. I’m not entirely sure what his alcohol limit is, but he had at least two mugs at a price of 1sm for both.

Comments :
Brilliant thread. It was very interesting to see how Markus misinterpreted the words and his reaction to S’Essy’s father overall. Some of the social skills I may not have awarded as much because I’d have to see them being done in a more ‘masterly’ way. Still, it was a lovely thread to read.

Don't forget to edit/delete your grade request in the grade request thread.

If you have any questions or concerns about your grade please feel free to send me a message (like really, I’m all ears if you feel like I missed something).

Enjoy.
Sayana
Dancing in the rain...

Words: 1543550
Joined roleplay: September 22nd, 2014, 12:38 am
Race: Eypharian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Peer Reviewer (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Syliras Seasonal Challenge (1) Alvadas Seasonal Challenge (1)

Previous