Kelvic questions

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, users can ask questions of one another to work through issues. New players are encouraged to ask their questions here before they turn to the Help Desk or a storyteller.

Moderators: Liaisons, Assistant Storytellers, Regional Storytellers, Domain Storytellers

Kelvic questions

Postby Lilun on September 15th, 2015, 3:24 am

First, the user name is temporary. I really couldn’t think of a character name when I can’t begin to guess my character yet; so random name so I can ask things! –Steven’s Universe still rules though- Now that that’s settled, onto questions and likely a fair bit of rambling which I will apologize for now.

For a week I have been reading, closing tabs coming back and reading more only to finally settle on a race and that is Kelvic. Coin toss was nearly called to play! Kelvic are odd little critters and it seems their history is still ticking along sine they appear to be a newish race; which brings me to my first question.

1. Being a new race I know stuff can happen, like any new thing bugs can simply pop up; but what about viruses? As a human they catch a flu, but say they change into a deer; there is no such thing as a flu for a deer. What then would happen, or as a human can they not catch a flu? Also vice versa, should the Kelvic be a bird and catch an avian flu, does it pass on to the human? Is there a sickness only Kelvic can get?

Now I have read that people say Kelvic’s are hard to play and I do know this as they seem to be a balancing act all in themselves. Humanity and the primal urges of an animal, so on we go!

2. Is there a different level of difficulty between playing a predatory Kelvic and a prey driven one? If you think so could you explain it?

Animals have very unique diets but some a whole lot more than others; like panda’s! Not that birds aren’t odd, they eat clay..

3. Should a Kelvic’s animal have a special diet such as bamboo; what would happen if they couldn’t get it and only ate say, fish? Would they suffer health problems or would they be okay? For that matter now I am curious to know if there is bamboo anywhere.

The world seems torn on how to treat Kelvic, some seem to see them as pet’s others slaves while still more of them see the Kelvic’s as normal people with a furry side to them. This creates a lot of ways for control, namely those collars.

4. I did read that Kelvic are very comfortable in either human or animal and never really choose one form over the other, but what happens if their kept in one form unable to change? Yes they don’t need to change and yes the change does no hurt or heal them; but what would happen to their mind should they for years be unable to change?

5. Should a Kelvic be a horse, would it be possible they could step into their own harness no problem? (Of course keeping in mind the proper fixes have been made to allow this to happen, namely no clenches and buckles.)

Okies then, that about wraps it up for the moment on what I want to know, just; things bugging me batty for a little bit there. Still there is one last question but not one that has to be answered just a small bit of help.

I have an idea for either a Fishing Cat Kelvic, and an Elk; but I really can’t decide between the two. Any thoughts? I did a pro and con’s list but still! So very stuck on this choice; but maybe there is one that has more around then the other or some such thing?
I will be but a small part in my Bonded's life; but they will be my world.
Lilun
Player

Words: 46432
Joined roleplay: September 15th, 2015, 2:51 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Plotnotes

Kelvic questions

Postby Revali on September 15th, 2015, 4:27 pm

Hello, hello! Kelvic here!

Please, someone correct me if I am at all incorrect. This is just my understanding and interpretation of the lore. All quotes are taken directly from the Kelvic race lore page, found here.

Even though forms are traded out in a swirl of lights during shape shifting, injuries do transfer and illness remains the same in either form.

As I understand it, this means that, yes, a Kelvic bird with the Avian Flu would suffer from similar symptoms in their Human form. Although it may not technically be the same illness as we would diagnose it on Earth, today, it still effects the Kelvic in the same way.

There is definitely a different dynamic between playing a predatory Kelvic, and one that is most often prey. I, myself, am a meerkat, which is mostly prey, although meerkats do eat bugs and other such small animals. This being said, I like to play my character as very skittish and perhaps a bit more protective, because of his prey-oriented instincts. However, I do not believe that either is more difficult to write than the other, and it would not be necessary to write all prey animals as timid; each Kelvic has their own personality just like Humans!

If an animal form prefers raw meat, that feeding will not effect the human form. Conversely a grazing animal like a horse will not make a human form ill by shape shifting into a human with a belly full of grass.

Most people play Kelvics with a varied diet. They can hunt or forage in their animal form, but they can also be perfectly healthy while only eating whatever is healthy for a Human, while in that form.

Although there are only a few places where Kelvics are kept as slaves or pets, they do exist, and I can imagine a scenario where a Kelvic is forced to stay in one form.
Kelvics still need to keep in touch with their animal side. Bird Kelvics need to get out and fly routinely to remain mentally healthy while big predators have to hunt in order to remain happy. Horses need to get out of the city and run or graze while squirrel Kelvics would not be happy without some foraging time on their own.

Staying in either form for an extended period of time would result in, at the very least, a depressed or irritable Kelvic. Of course, depending on the amount of time and the severity of the situation (i.e. how they are treated), they may get worse, mentally.

There are a few Kelvic horses out there. I can think of two right now. While I have never seen any step into their harnesses (and frankly have no idea why they would harness themselves), I imagine it could be done with proper modification and a lot of practice.

And lastly, I hate to say this, but the decision of what animal to play is ultimately up to you. Perhaps you should consider which city you might want to play in? For example, a monkey Kelvic would most likely enjoy the tropical areas in Faylndar, while a polar bear Kelvic would probably favor the colder areas, such as Avanthal. That may give you a little help, but other than that, you might have to resort to whichever personality you favor, or which appearance you prefer.

Feel free to PM me if you have any more questions, and I'll do my best to answer them. :)
6/8 Active Threads
Have some time? Come leave a peer review
Revali
'Fraidy 'Kat

Words: 45187
Joined roleplay: August 9th, 2015, 3:34 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Kelvic questions

Postby Nivel on September 15th, 2015, 5:54 pm

I think all the other questions were answered but if you want to be unique go Elk. I feel like a lot of people play felines and wolf kelvics, but like Revali said you should consider the area you're planing to play in.
Nivel
The Pint-Sized Mage

Words: 461307
Joined roleplay: March 24th, 2014, 7:06 pm
Race: Pycon
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Donor (1)

Kelvic questions

Postby Yisanareysin on September 15th, 2015, 6:05 pm

I'd say go with the form that matches the personality you want for your character, honestly.
ImageImageImage
Yisanareysin
Sneaky Snake Spy Extraordinaire

Words: 314458
Joined roleplay: June 8th, 2014, 7:40 am
Race: Dhani
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

Kelvic questions

Postby Lilun on September 15th, 2015, 10:14 pm

Poor Kelvic! The Avian Flu to a human is a death sentence, but perhaps it doesn't pop up all that often.

The reason for harnessing yourself if fairly easy. Say you are traveling; well Kelvic or not you have stuff. Here you are a big strong horse, but a horse with no hands or ability to place a bag on yourself. On the other hand you could rent a carriage but again, you’re a horse! How annoying. So you buy one for yourself and while you could buy a horse yourself; you would have to know when they got tired have to have the right food for them and have to trust them to stay where they are if you decide to go out running. Seems much easier to me to harness yourself and set off!

For where, I picked Riverfall. A very unique town with a lot of things to do and good honest rules to follow and ones I agree with~ Carry your own weight, or suffer. Very simple those.. Plus blue guys are neat! Riverfall is both close to swamps, (Fishing cat) and is part of the The Sea of Grass, (Elk) Also with a bit of leg work you could see the Suvan Sea' each area was interesting to me.

I did see there was a great many wolves and big cats; but by far no small cats. A Fishing Cat is just a bit bigger than a normal house cat, but their neat; they have webbed paws and they can swim under water to catch fish or swim under a fowl and leap up grabbing them! They are also quick climbers and ambush hunter's but their also small so require little room in the grand scheme of things. Being small also means not being in the way should you stretch the four legs in town.

On the other hand and Elk is a very large animal and would need a lot of room. While their diet is simple they are also something much more likely to be accidentally shot for food, or maybe not accidentally; Eep! An Elk is a strong prey animal but they have been known to charge whole packs of wolves, their also one of the bigger deer species out there so could be worked much like a horse as I have seen people ride them. ( It's actually bad for a horses spine to ride them, however cows and deer fair better, funny huh? )

For the Fishing Cat I imagine someone a bit quirky and a little bit obsessed with smooth shiny rocks. They would enjoy fishing and be happy to help work the nets or poles, even simply dive down to catch them that way. Being a smaller Kelvic in Riverfall might let him go unnoticed should he do something stupid or at least forgiven more easily? It also mean's should he change and go off people won’t be as bothered, just an odd looking cat. Small he wouldn't have much use in his animal form but to help scare fish into nets or other such things.

For the Elk I think he would love books and quiet places. He might work to organize things or to help send letters for anyone who can't read, possibly even deliver them throughout town. He would be a happy fellow but one more inclined to smile then laugh. While living in Riverfall he would have the down fall or being larger and should he wish to change, likely be in the way. However as a larger animal who is stronger than an average human; he could easily be put to work.

So yes, also ignore genders I haven't decided on those either. It's really hard to pick between those two.
Lilun
Player

Character sheet
Plotnotes

Kelvic questions

Postby Gossamer on September 15th, 2015, 10:45 pm

You are all correct and thanks everyone who fielded these extensive questions!

Have you thought of a Yowlwing? It's a cat with wings that's native to Riverfall. It's the size of a house cat, but they are very playful and obnoxious in many cases. Great birders.

Horses can't harness themselves. :) That would just be too difficult. That's what a good bondmate is for.
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6356204
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Kelvic questions

Postby Lilun on September 15th, 2015, 11:05 pm

Hello Gossamer, thankies for making Kelvic~ Their very neat!

I had not seen the Yowlwing, but now I am with three choices for a Kelvic. So many neat creatures; and the Yowlwing sound quiet interesting. A quick question about them, what would happen if their wings got wet? Riverfall is a wet area and if you dunk a feather in water they get ruined; or could the wings have oils on them much like a ducks? Do they shed like normal cats, and is their fur like normal cats or is if feather like rather then fur?

For the harnessing, I had thought since my cat could, a horse with human intelligence might. If it's hard leather it would stay in any shape you set it and you would only need a three pieces. One around the chest, one across the back and another around the stomach. If their stiff you could step into them and simply walk forward to have them be in place. Since a cart has two guide poles it would keep the harness off the ground and at the right height. Still, a Bondmate would be good if they had found theirs!
Lilun
Player

Character sheet
Plotnotes

Kelvic questions

Postby Ball on September 15th, 2015, 11:13 pm

Seeign yer in RF, ya could always go with the Yvas? Might be easier to use as a Horse?
Avatar CreditsMy lovely Avatar was drawn and created by the most awesome Nivel

Graders Please Note :
As Ball is getting closer and closer to maxing out Pyken as a skill, I would like to request that in places where Ball is not doing enough to constitute Pyken XP if Pyken technique lores could be issued instead.

Examples of proper XP level for Pyken would be: Ball developing or refining his technique by adding new thing against an actual moving target, not a dummy.

The use of basic skills alone are not enough to accomplish XP at Ball's current level of Pyken.

Thank you.

I will be handling all Ball related posts on Mondays @ 1800 my time *
Ball
Ser Ball -- Pycon Knight of Syliras

Words: 460478
Joined roleplay: January 31st, 2012, 4:52 pm
Race: Pycon
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Contributor (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1)

Kelvic questions

Postby Gossamer on September 15th, 2015, 11:40 pm

Hi Pinks.

Yowlwings are a lot like geese. They can fly in all sorts of weather and have oil glands they can squeeze to groom their wings. Water doesn't bother them and I imagine they'd play in the rain a lot like waterbirds do.

I actually drive horses irl... own a cart and everything. You actually need a lot more pieces to a cart than you might think. For one thing the three piece design your thinking of is great for going forward, but you need BRAKES on a cart, which is why each harness no matter what style includes HANES and TUGS. The shafts drag the cart forward, but you need something to BRAKE the cart with the horse to keep it from rolling up on the horse... and that's why each harness has a secondary peice across a horse's rump with a crupper that attaches to the front of the shafts so the horse can break the cart without the cart rolling into them. So in actuality, its a lot more complex than three pieces. A horse would never be able to harness themselves.

I can draw you a diagram if you don't understand what I'm saying. I had no idea about it either until I started actually driving draft horses in real life.
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6356204
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Kelvic questions

Postby Lilun on September 16th, 2015, 12:07 am

Oh how cute~ I think now I am between the Yowlwing and the Fishing Cat, both seem a better match for Riverfall no matter how neat the Elk is. I am at odd with it being hunted on accident and its size would be a hassle while in a city no matter the size of it. All cities have ally ways and many people; such a large animal just wouldn't be happy.

No that's fine and I know the part you are mentioning I just never thought of that part at all. I have Cold Blooded Trotters and they pull a sulky, but that piece is missing. We have a crupper but, that wouldn't be needed if the horse were human intelligence since it's only to prevent them suddenly backing up and getting out of the harness. They also don't have breaks, it's simply go slower until you can stop action. -Hums- I don't think I have ever seen a horse pull something heavier and needed that back piece. Thank you though; it is a very good point! I will have to see if I can find someone who uses a real cart to see that sort of harness fitting. We have a medieval festival I avoid, maybe I could see then and see a real old fashioned harness at that.

What would you say Goss, between the two different felines? Which would be a better match for Riverfall life and have a better chance at pulling their own weight; but also one that can travel and be fairly okay in the Sea of Grass and toward the sea?
Lilun
Player

Character sheet
Plotnotes

Next