Kiva's Scrapbook

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The player scrapbooks forum is literally a place for writers to warm-up, brainstorm, keep little scraps of notes, or just post things to encourage themselves and each other. Each player can feel free to create their own thread - one per account - and use them accordingly.

Kiva's Scrapbook

Postby Kiva on March 4th, 2015, 4:10 pm

Welcome to my scrapbook!

My name is Maria, which I know isn't the most captivating first line to read, but I hope you'll stick with me. I'm in my twenties, and while I wish I had a lot of interesting things to say, really... I'm just someone who has no idea what's going on 99% of the time, and I like cats. That's basically a solid synopsis of my life, but if you want to know any of the gritty details, I adore books, and art. I have an on-again, off-again relationship with learning Japanese, and my life goal is to travel the world and one day become a polyglot.

I can't exactly determine what this scrap will be about, but I think I'll be using it as a catch all, perhaps even a place to write some book reviews. If I'm being honest with myself, I'm sure there will be talk of my characters and even some life related rants. For now, I just wanted to introduce myself and hope you'd be interested enough to stick around. In the meantime, have a look at my face:
ImageImage
Kiva
Player

Words: 225555
Joined roleplay: February 24th, 2015, 7:34 pm
Race: Myrian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Donor (1)

Kiva's Scrapbook

Postby Kiva on July 11th, 2015, 1:55 am

My cat is sick. I wish I didn't have to write this, and I suppose I really don't, but I need some place to put my thoughts. I feel like the people who would care about this already know, but I'm still so worried, that talking about it is the only thing I feel I can do. Where do I even begin? Well, one October day back in 2013, I adopted a cat from the local Humane Society. Best decision I ever made.

The cat I adopted was a girl, estimated to be around 8 years of age, and her name was Jynx. The moment I saw her, I knew. I know that sounds corny, and sometimes people don't believe you when you say that, but she was the one. I also highly recommend adopting adult cats, and maybe overlook the kittens a bit (they always find homes. Adult cats... sometimes not so much. Jynx was there for over 6 months before I found her and others, even longer). Fast forward a bit to the current day and here we are.

She recently had her 9th/10th birthday (like I said, we don't know for sure), and seemed to be doing perfectly. Sprightly and loud, expressive and a purr like a motor. Then, a few days ago, I noticed that she didn't wake me up with her usual crazy meowing so that I'd feed her. I called it a stroke of luck and chalked it up to feeding her a bit later the night before. She eats that afternoon, no issue. Same thing the next day. She seems to have picked a new spot to nap, but again, didn't question it too much. I noticed she did start meowing a me a bit more, but when I go to her and give her attention, she'd calm down.

So, the night before last, my boyfriend and I are up watching a movie and it must have been around 3am. Jynx starts meowing from across the room, staring at me. I say something to her, but she doesn't calm down. I listen and she sounds distressed. I instantly jump up and go to her, but she looks fine.

"What's wrong, Jynx? Huh?" She still is meowing strangely, so I gingerly hold her and she stops. I sit back down and lay her down on my chest where she is just sprawled. Normal Jynx would at least shift to get comfortable. Something's wrong, but I don't know what. I'm trying not to freak out, and that's when I notice her walking to go to the couch arm to perk. She can't even make it to the spot before she sinks down, defeated.

I suppose to some, this might not seem odd, but when you know your cats personality so much, you just know when they're acting weird. I show my boyfriend, and we think maybe she's hurt her back legs since she's staying low to the ground, only walking a few steps before laying down. She just has no energy. It was so early in the morning, the only thing we could do was wait until a vet opened, and I absolutely hated we couldn't go then and there.

I take her to the bedroom, and lay her next to me so I can keep an eye on her. We doze off and I wake up to hearing a meow. Not too strong, but definitely wrong. Jynx isn't next to me. I discover that she had jumped down and tried to crawl to the closet but had collapsed on the way. That's not a normal place she goes, and being paranoid like I am, I assume she's trying to go off to die. I start crying, because I don't know what's wrong and it's still hours before any animal hospital opens. I grab a blanket and pillow and lay right next to her for the rest of the night, even getting her to drink some water in the mean time.

So, yesterday morning rolls around, and I'm instantly up, calling vets, getting there as soon as I can with my boyfriend. Jynx is even weaker now, so I carry her and her bed with me into the vet's office. The vet was an older gentleman with white hair and a thick mustache. He looks at Jynx and is all business. Heartbeat, eye check, mouth check, feels for any masses or issues with her spine or legs. Nothing obvious. He is holding her up as he is doing this because she won't stay up on her own. He sets her on the ground to see what she can do. Jynx walks a few inches. Lays down.

"Good," he says, "That's good." At least she can move a little. They run some blood tests and discover she has severe anemia and it is possible she could die. This can be caused by a parasite, bone marrow issues, cancer, any number of things. We couldn't afford a blood transplant so they gave her fluids and some Doxycycline and Perdnisone. Of course, I cried some more. I was really scared and this cat is my best friend. Even her temperature had dropped and we had to keep her on a heating pad. The vet said to give her whatever she wanted to eat, something like tuna and to keep an eye on her.

That's exactly what I did. Didn't leave her side. She tried to go to the litter box three times after we got back to the vet, and every time she didn't have the energy. Climbed inside and laid down. Peed a little. I would have to pick her up and carry her back to bed.

Today, she's doing a bit better. Her purring is no longer as weak, she's eating more, a bit more vocal. Moves with more ease, and hasn't had trouble going to the bathroom too much. I'm still cautious and stressing over her constantly, but I'm feeling much more hopeful than yesterday. I'm hoping that she pulls through.
★★★
ImageImage
Kiva
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Donor (1)

Kiva's Scrapbook

Postby Kiva on July 14th, 2015, 7:10 pm

Common Misconceptions Regarding The Wonderful Myrian Race

Maybe its just me, and perhaps I am playing them all wrong, but I feel like during my time on Mizahar, I've learned a lot about my favorite race. Kiva is not the first Myrian I have ever played and... I can't promise she will be my last. That's how much I love their culture and the city of Taloba. It really is a shame that so many people don't appreciate them as much. From chat and reading the posts of other PC's, I feel like their is this idea of what Myrians are, that they are incapable of anything but blood lust, and it's just... well, aggravating to me. A personal pet peeve, perhaps.

Anyway, I'll get started. This is a list of things that I think people forget or just don't know about Myrians:

1. Myrians are only good for killing.
Why would this be true? Yes, Myri wants to have Falyndar for her children, yes, a lot of times they see other races as lesser, and yes, they are racist. Myrians are powerful, and they are raised to kill. But their race is also at a perpetual war with Dhani, and people forget that these people are strong, AND artisans. Many (especially men) are capable of many different things, and can be anything from a weapon's smith, to a stall keeper. They are diverse, just like every other character. While war is a huge part of their life, they have other areas of interest!

2. Myrians are incapable of "softer" emotions.
*Sigh.* This one kills me. Many people forget that these people have families (and that large families and bonds are valued!). They forget that they are people. They might try to not show these things as much for fear of being weak, but it's true. If they lose a friend or fang mate, they mourn. Just as others might have a funeral procession, maybe they have a hunt, or sacrifice an animal. It's symbolism, but it's also just the culture. That doesn't mean they can't feel grief or love. They can feel dedication (like to their gods), and they can feel compassion. If they didn't, they wouldn't be such a tight knit of a group. And *gasp*, they can feel fear. The only difference is that they might be a bit more selective in who they put their trust and respect in. This is pretty universal, but can also be PC specific.

3. Myrian women hate men.
This. Just because a society is matriarchal, doesn't mean it's giving the middle finger to every male in a 100 mile radius. I know this can be hard to write when most of the real world is in a man centered culture, but... just think about it. Myrian women, from my understanding, are bigger, and sometimes even stronger than the men. They get better breaks in the military and more respect. They are admired. Men are more likely to be submissive to them, but that doesn't mean they hate their counterparts. Their men are often still better than non-Myrian men (this view could be PC specific as well). Sure, there might be some women who get irritated if a man (more so if a non-Myrian) oogles them, but there are also Myrian women who expect it. Who are unfazed. After all, who wouldn't be blessed to have them bed them? How many men in the real world get angry if someone finds them attractive? Myrian women are tall Amazonians with power and sexuality and I'm sure they know it. Believe it or not, Myrian women might even want to sleep with the opposite (or same) sex! Golly gee. Who wouldn't have thunk it?

4. Myrians only respect Myri.
Tough call, and I can see why this might be thought of as true. Myrian life does revolve around this goddess, but they hold many things in reverence. Their elders, war heroes, athletes (didn't think they had sports, did you?), Myrian tigers, nature, other gods (Navre, Caiyha, Dira, etc). This really does depend on the PC, but I think a character needs more than just one aspect to be interesting. A women who has many children might be respected, or even a man who has a great skill in crafting armor. There are ways to gain respect, and... *drumroll* despite the difficulty of it, even outsiders can earn their keep.

Well, I'll possibly continue this. These were just the immediate ones that I thought of. If any of my fellow Myrians (or savages) have some to suggest, I'd be happy to discuss them, and feel free to comment. Even if you disagree! Thanks for reading.
★★★
ImageImage
Kiva
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Donor (1)

Kiva's Scrapbook

Postby Kiva on July 22nd, 2015, 2:20 am

100 Hands Challenge

Hey, Miz. So, some (or all), might not know this, but I like to draw. I'm not that great, but it's just something I enjoy. Because I'm currently unemployed and running an intense struggle with writer's block right now, I thought I would work on improving some other areas of interest. So, I grabbed my sketchbook and decided to just practice. I've seen a lot of different artists draw 100 different hands, as a way to improve their understanding of them. As someone who literally sucks at drawing hands... this was something I've been fearing, as well as admiring. I decided to go for it. It's taking me way too long and I'm a little disappointed at the results so far. I have about 13/100. I'm going to keep pushing and hope for 20-25 by tonight. Maybe when I get further, I'll post my progress, but we'll see. I'm a bit self-conscious about my work. One of my main goals is to be able to draw my characters and various rp scenes one day, even pitch in and do the same for other players. I just don't feel like I'm at that level yet. So I have to keep trying to improve.

Thanks for reading. I don't want to distract myself any longer. XOXO
★★★
ImageImage
Kiva
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Donor (1)

Kiva's Scrapbook

Postby Kiva on December 15th, 2015, 7:42 pm

If there is one thing you should know about me, is that I usually hate shopping. I love the rewards (when I'm not having buyer's remorse), but dislike the process. Especially in Mizahar. I know the system is straight forward. 1GM = 10 SM = 100 CM

Gross.

So, I have to shop for Kiva since she's pretty much running around half naked in the heart of winter. She doesn't even have proper shoes. Ugh. So we have to spend a pretty miza and definitely get a job this season. So what I'm really doing is going to use the price list and break down the expenses and modifiers here, so I can have someone else look over it, and maybe tell me whether or not my math is right (it's probably wrong).

Here we go. She'll technically be shopping at Rosela's shop in RF, but she has to get custom stuff, so I'm using the Price List.

Dress:

Dress (8sm) x [Large (3) + Cotton (1.25) + Buttoned (10) + Buckled (10) + Dyed Black (1.5)]
= 8sm x 25.75
=206 sm = 20 GM 6 SM

By Myri, that's an expensive dress. Next!

Jacket

Jacket (6sm) x [ Large (3) + Llama Wool (10) + Buttons (10) + Dyed (1.5)]
= 6sm x 24.5
= 147 sm = 14 GM 7 SM

Already breaking the bank.

Boots:
Boots, Low (3sm) x [Large (3) + Leather (2)]
= 3sm x 6 = 18 sm
= 1 GM 8 SM

Then Rosela's shop says I can buy:

Common Fur Scarf: 1 GM
Stockings: 4 SM

I was using their store prices since they won't need customization.

TOTAL: 38 GM 5 SM
★★★
ImageImage
Kiva
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Donor (1)

Kiva's Scrapbook

Postby Kiva on December 29th, 2015, 7:46 pm

★★★
Last edited by Kiva on March 12th, 2016, 2:15 am, edited 19 times in total.
ImageImage
Kiva
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Donor (1)

Kiva's Scrapbook

Postby Nivel on December 29th, 2015, 11:20 pm

congradulations on your new Grader status :)
Nivel
The Pint-Sized Mage

Words: 461307
Joined roleplay: March 24th, 2014, 7:06 pm
Race: Pycon
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Donor (1)

Kiva's Scrapbook

Postby Kiva on January 22nd, 2016, 9:50 am

Eeeeevery once in awhile, I like to give surprises to thread partners. I'm not sure where else to put this at the moment and I don't want to ruin the surprise. Warning: I like to call this the Beta Stage. I couldn't get everything right so I had to settle on some technical details to maintain the aesthetic quality of the overall work (blah blah blah, I sound so fancy). Haven't made a boxcode in some time, and I'm not the best.

A little surprise present for Wikus.
Code: Select all
[center][img]http://www.mizahar.com/forums/gallery/pic.php?mode=large&pic_id=49992[/img][/center]
[center][style=width:650px; padding-top:20px; padding-bottom:20px; border-radius: 50px; background-color: #090909; color: #ffffff; margin-top:-55px; margin-bottom:10px; margin-left:auto; margin-right:auto;][webfont=Houndtim][size=150]Date
Location[/size]

[indent][left][color=#4d4d4d][size=117]Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Nullam molestie iaculis purus vitae interdum. Nulla sodales interdum scelerisque. Mauris laoreet, ligula sed ornare hendrerit, mi libero porttitor arcu, ac gravida turpis ante sit amet sem. Sed id neque orci. Vestibulum congue metus eget ligula accumsan ultricies. Sed at ante tincidunt, fermentum mi vel, ornare odio. Cras eleifend, mauris at laoreet ultrices, neque massa dictum urna, vel luctus lectus elit ut velit. Nam et dui eget mi rhoncus vehicula eu eu tortor. Nulla efficitur, leo ac varius faucibus, mauris enim pellentesque tortor, a finibus sem dolor at leo. Aenean imperdiet erat sed urna tristique auctor. Maecenas fringilla ex vulputate, venenatis orci a, sodales quam. Maecenas vel turpis gravida, sollicitudin purus vel, lobortis elit. Nam sed ultricies orci, nec dignissim ligula. Phasellus nec elit diam. Vestibulum cursus lacus orci. In et erat ultrices, egestas turpis vel, accu. Kiva is the best, obviously.[/size]

[/color][/indent][/left][size=150]WIKUS[/size][/webfont][/center][/style]

★★★
ImageImage
Kiva
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Donor (1)

Kiva's Scrapbook

Postby Wikus on March 12th, 2016, 1:36 am

How I feel when I roleplay with Kiva.

Thanks for the boxcode! :)

Thanks to Kiva for this amazing template.
Wikus
It burns when I pee!

Words: 377704
Joined roleplay: August 26th, 2015, 9:48 pm
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Riverfall Seasonal Challenge (1)