PM to join [The Drunken Fish] A Dangerous Intervention (Amora)

When a thief is caught in the act, Kaie is forced to decide whether or not she wishes to step in.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A lawless town of anarchists, built on the ruins of an ancient mining city. [Lore]

Moderator: Morose

[The Drunken Fish] A Dangerous Intervention (Amora)

Postby Amora Jade on March 29th, 2015, 2:23 am

Being used to all of the loud noises and slamming of the doors, the thief almost didn’t pay any mind to the sounds that the woman she sat with had. Amora only turned her head when she saw that she had. A couple annoying men looking to get drunk.. she thought. Nothing that she hadn’t seen a million times, she wondered if the woman didn’t venture into taverns often.

Kaie.. Amora made sure to repeat the name in her head once it was spoken. She didn’t know if it would come in handy later, if she needed the muscle some time in the future or not. It wasn’t like she knew a whole lot of people who were willing to step in and give a thief a helping hand when she was in trouble, so even one was extremely valuable to her. Plus the woman seemed stronger than the majority of thugs she passed on a daily basis; it peaked her interest.

As Kaie talked about how many thieves she had seen in the city since her arrival, Amora couldn’t help but laugh a bit and nod. It was a common and easy way of life there. People who actually worked hard for their mizas always ran into the risk of having the coin stolen right off of them, so it was almost pointless. The fact that she had seen the elderly people stealing was unusual to her- not because it was rare for older people to be thieves, but because it was unusual for older thieves to be seen in their act. Thieves who lived to be old were the ones who never got caught.

She seemed more and more dangerous by the minute, it was a good thing she didn’t pick her to steal from before. As she aired her question a couple things made the thief ask her own mental questions. She only recognized a couple of the city names she voiced and she had no idea what a Myrian was, or why they were obligated to a certain trade. It was so unusual for her to be so openly curious towards someone, but it had also been a while since she learned anything new that didn’t have to do with larceny or death.

Amora decided to take a long drink of her ale to prevent herself from voicing too many questions at once, then she looked back at Kaie to answer, “Hmm.. I’m not sure. I really do love the rush I get from stealing, plus I kinda crave it.” She swept her hair out of her face then leaned back lazily in her chair and looked around, “I never really thought of trying anything else, or living anywhere else. I like it here, as awful as it seems…

The thief ran her index finger around the rim of her mug and returned her gaze to the mercenary once more, “What exactly is a Myrian? And why are you obligated?” She hoped her questions didn’t seem too juvenile to her, and that she wouldn’t seem uneducated- even though she was. Something she really hated was being looked at as ignorant.

Amora Jade
Pronounced Thief

Words: 165569
Joined roleplay: September 28th, 2011, 10:53 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Donor (1)

Postby Kaie on April 4th, 2015, 11:38 pm

The savage woman pursed her lips at the thief's answer. At first it was perhaps disbelief that best described her expression or maybe suspicion. In any case it was difficult for the Myrian to accept the simplicity of Amora's answer. Never a thought for a safer world. Strange, was all she could conclude within the confines of her mind. Then again, it was unrealistic for her to expect a new acquaintance to open up to her despite their circumstances. Other than her life, Amora offered Kaie very little indeed. At least her passion for larceny continued to prove genuine enough.

Amber eyes scanned the room once more. There was nothing to note. No Dhani. No Akalak kin or thuggish compatriot bursting through the tavern doors and demanding revenge. Just the usual drunkards laughing too loudly, belting out tunes far too off key, and bar maids flitting from table to table with mugs to be tended. Kaie's attention snapped back to rest on Amora again when she heard the name of her race. She flashed the woman her teeth.
"You're the first to ask me that in a long while," she mused as she drummed her fingers upon the table while she gathered her thoughts. There were many different answers to that question. The trick was choosing the one the thief would find useful. After all, what would be the point of sharing more information than the woman could somewhat connect?

"We're a people from a jungle very far from here, where we worship our Queen Myri the Merciless, Goddess of War. We accept her as our divine mother, and we are not human. It was a good, simple start in any case. She leaned back in the chair and rested her hand routinely on the hilt of her sword. "I wouldn't say we are obligated to occupy a certain trade, if that's what sort of thing you're asking." Eyes darted to the door as it opened again. A haggard, gangly man trudged in and sat at the bar. The Myrian's gaze settled back upon Amora when the door slammed shut behind him.

"We have jobs to do just like any other society. Blacksmiths, fishermen, hunters, cooks, and you get the idea. However, we are all soldiers, too. We are a people of war who are always at war. Victory and blood sacrifices in battle are the ways in which we make our Goddess Queen proud. We serve her as she sees fit. As Her children, that is our highest obligation." Kaie's grin widened. She gave a gesture toward the other's person, arching an inquisitive brow. "And what of you? I've been around humans long enough to know what you are. It seems to me you have no inborn obligations. You each choose your own as you see fit...but what of you? What does a thief in Sunberth like you concern herself with most? What do you see as your own obligations?"

Kaie
Player

Words: 1635197
Joined roleplay: May 9th, 2013, 3:13 am
Race: Myrian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 7
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) Riverfall Seasonal Challenge (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Amora Jade on January 1st, 2016, 5:14 am

It was interesting talking to Kaie. Amora was learning a lot about a place she never knew of, and it peaked her curiosity of places outside of Sunberth more than anything else ever had. She began to wonder if there was any place besides there that would suit her way of life- not that she was looking for any reason to leave. It was just a nice thought to have somewhere she could run off to in case things went terribly for her in the anarchist's paradise. Knowing the risks she too often took, it was almost a necessity to have a backup plan.

Not only was it her first time communicating so peacefully with an outsider, but it was also the first time anyone took any interest in asking her questions about herself. Amora wasn’t used to anything beyond “Where’s my money you took?” or “Who do you think you’re messing with?

After she finished off the drink in her hand she smiled slyly and answered simply, “Well, my only obligation is to myself. To take what I want when I want it and to survive. I don’t have anyone else to look after and I’m not here to please anyone but myself. My life is much simpler than yours, I have no one to let down.

As much as she enjoyed sitting there and having a civilized conversation with someone, she knew it was about time for her to be headed back home. It would be getting dark in only a couple of bells and she really didn’t need to push her luck much more that night.

It was really nice to meet ya,” she started as she stood up and collected herself. “Maybe we will run into each other on better terms next time. I don’t mean to be rude but I really should shove off.” With a slight two-fingered lazy solute from her brow she turned to the exit and began her trail home.

The thief pushed open the door to the tavern and nearly ran into a drunken woman dancing around right outside- a drunken woman who wouldn’t notice if she were to steal that pretty little handbag that dangled from her shoulder.

No! Amora scowled at herself, no need in being so greedy and risk getting caught a second time for the day.. but on second thought, no one was watching.

The familiar itch crept up on her and she couldn’t fight it. As quickly and smoothly as she could she stepped towards the woman whose back now faced her and she slid her fingers onto the thin strap and grabbed hold of the purse. With a quick motion she flicked the top of the strap off the woman’s shoulder and it fell out of the drunk’s grip. Amora hid the purse behind her as the woman turned to face her, “Aye why dun you gon in theer and fetch me another drink huh?

The thief let out a breath she didn’t realize she was holding and rolled her eyes at the woman whose words she could barely understand, it was clear she was too drunk to understand what was going on, “Get it yourself you old hag.

Still concealing what she had stole, Amora pushed on towards the Sunset Quarters with a hurried pace.

OOCMight as well tack on another point while I have the chance :D This was a lot of fun even though it took well over a year to complete lol.
Amora Jade
Pronounced Thief

Words: 165569
Joined roleplay: September 28th, 2011, 10:53 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Donor (1)

Previous