NPC squires

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, users can ask questions of one another to work through issues. New players are encouraged to ask their questions here before they turn to the Help Desk or a storyteller.

Moderators: Liaisons, Assistant Storytellers, Regional Storytellers, Domain Storytellers

NPC squires

Postby Samuel Longwell on June 12th, 2016, 4:45 pm

I've been looking at the NPC lore, and it says that NPCs need to be supported through seasonal expenses even if you are only using them in flashbacks. I assume this applies for dead NPCs as well then? If you do need to pay expense,s how would it work for an NPC squire as their expenses are provided for by the knighthood? I'm asking as I'd like to use an NPC squire in flashbacks to develop my characters history.

Many thanks for your help.
Samuel Longwell
Warrior

Words: 219143
Joined roleplay: May 19th, 2016, 2:40 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

NPC squires

Postby Ixzo on June 18th, 2016, 10:04 pm

Here is the latest resource on Dead NPCs. There doesn't seem to be a change in the rules for paying for them, however. When you use an NPC in a season, you have to pay for it, unless they are under the age of 12 (too young to be a squire, I think).

Most people try to do most of their flashbacks with NPCs in one season so they do not have to pay for them too frequently, I would suggest that.
Ixzo
Lion of the Night

Words: 524570
Joined roleplay: September 1st, 2015, 5:57 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 4
Featured Thread (1) Mizahar Grader (1)
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

NPC squires

Postby Samuel Longwell on June 19th, 2016, 11:45 am

Thank you for the reply, I guess my main question was how does it work for squires. Their seasonal expenses are 0, so would just paying common expenses be the general rule to fit in with their living conditions?
Samuel Longwell
Warrior

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

NPC squires

Postby Ixzo on June 19th, 2016, 5:44 pm

So I cannot claim to know very much about Syliras, and much of what goes on with the city, becuase it is not a city I pay attention to.

However, I was looking at the lore and this is what I found. In the lore, it states that a PC squire does not have to pay LE becuase the knights pay it for them.
When playing a Squire, your Seasonal expense is handled by the Knights, though your living conditions are considered Common; Squires live in communal barracks, and the food provided is more than enough to keep you healthy but it's nothing at all fancy.
This has me thinking that if you are a PC knight training an NPC squire, you may need to pay their LE (which would be common).

From what I gather, you'll only have to pay a Common LE for this NPC during the seasons that you write with him (flashbacks or present). If there is another resource on this, I don't know about it. Hope this helps!
Ixzo
Lion of the Night

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

NPC squires

Postby Samuel Longwell on June 20th, 2016, 4:50 pm

Yeah I think that's reasonable. However if you weren't training the squire, for example if you are also a squire at the time, I'm not sure how it would work.
Samuel Longwell
Warrior

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

NPC squires

Postby Ixzo on June 20th, 2016, 5:28 pm

I'm not the best at trying to get around paying SE, so you'll have to ask Nightmare or Reflection about all that. I don't have all this information, I can only give you links and my experience. Good luck!
Ixzo
Lion of the Night

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

NPC squires

Postby Ferrin Al'Mandrikan on June 20th, 2016, 5:37 pm

Well, all members of the Order, they don't have to pay living expenses as they get free living and food + drinks when they're a page and up. :) at least from squires and up. Not so sure about pages. Even if the squires are in your squad. :)

The squires that you train, are all taken care of by the Order. So the Knight in command does not need to pay for the squires.

"With a heart of steel, I raise my blade in combat. The only thoughts I have in my mind is whether I'd return home to my family. I am a soldier, and will fight for love and peace. That is the way of being a Syliran Knight"-Ferrin.

Sig :
Dimensions Changed to: 300x150 pixels.

Credits to Prophet for making this amazing Sig. He does a great job!
I'm Open To Guest Storytelling Let Me Know, and I'll See What I Can Do!
|| Syliras Lore * Syliras * Plotnotes * My Scrap *Ferrins CS ||
Ferrin Al'Mandrikan
Loving Family Man - Protective Squire

Words: 705389
Joined roleplay: July 16th, 2015, 1:02 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Artist (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

NPC squires

Postby Net on June 21st, 2016, 12:35 am

Knights pay expenses as they get paid. They get common lifestyle at 45gm a season.
I will be handling all Zeltiva related posts on Tuesdays @ 1800 my time *
Net
Ensnaring

Words: 46023
Joined roleplay: April 29th, 2016, 4:39 am
Race: Staff account
Office