[[Founder Review] Fishing (Skill)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Please post your development projects that have gone through the peer review process here. All articles in this forum must be tagged "Approved" in the Peer Review forum.

Moderator: Scribes

Postby Ferrin Al'Mandrikan on June 7th, 2016, 2:34 pm

Fishing: Founder Review

[indent[size=200]
Fishing:

Article Author(s): Ferrin Al'Mandrikan
Article: Fishing

Lore Workshop: Lore Workshop Here
Peer Review: Here
Founder Review:

SYNOPSIS:

Overall, fishing is a skill used for either occupation and for fun. Fishing dates back even Pre-Valterrian. The skill of fishing has morphed over the years and with it changing many other things of relevance has changed as well.

HISTORY:

Fishing dates back to generations from even Pre Valterrian to the current. Through hard work and a lot of concentration. Fishing, however, can be considered one of the first skills in survival that have been learned by man and traversed throughout the many races of Mizahar.

It was first implemented into the natures of MIzahar with just a reel and a rod. A basic tool for catching the fish that dwell within the seas of Mizahar. The tool known as the net, had been introduced as well to the system of fishing. The responsibility of fishing became loads easier as the fish were easier to catch. As those who progressed in the ability they would be more likely to catch the fish in the most furthest parts of the sea instead of off the shore fishing.

On one side of the boat, no one really knew when the fishing skill first became dated. Throughout time, the locals of Mizahar soon found it to be a job of sorts and used it to gain proficient experience and valuable coin. In other words, it was evolved into it becoming a job.

There are new ways and techniques out there that have been produced. But, only those willing to learn of the fishing responsibility can know the ins and outs of the fishing job. Easier said then done, though. That is for sure.

PREREQUISITES & RELATED SKILLS:

Prerequisites: There are no requirements besides the basic purchases of the tools used for fishing. That is mainly about it.

Related Skills:
Hunting: Fishing has a relation to hunting as it is a search for seafood. Unlike hunting on land. One hunts out at sea.

Observation: One needs to reach that particular level of clear perception. Keeping a nice and fairly keen eye(or eyes) out for those schools of fish that live within the depths of the waters.

Sailing: This skill is important for fishermen. It helps them to maintain the ship(s) that they'll manage.

Food Preservation This is quite important because knowing how to keep fresh fish is always good. No one wants to eat the fish gone bad?

Land Navigation: This can be confused with sailing. Though, this is basically trajectory and the relation of knowing the area(s) of the waters either unkown or known to man.

Scouting: This skill can be confused with tracking most likely. Though, very similar. When one scouts, they can find themselves using the "float" or a buoy to understand where the fish are at that moment.

Tracking: Tracking can be quite difficult. It is probably one of the most difficult skills used whilst fishing. A good tip for finding fish is to look for a flock of birds that would occasionally fly over the body of water. (Again, Observation plays a key role in this).

Trapping: This skill is related to fishing for the reason being. If people either angle the fish or trap them with the netting technique they'll find themselves at a fight between their prey and the predator, the man. Netting would most likely award more skill points for trapping, out at sea.

FISHING TIMES:

Spring: The fish have a tendency to be out. But, not as much in the morning than at night. Best bring your gear later in the evening. That is usually when feeding time occurs. So prepare the bait and get to fishin' my friends.

Summer:Fish can usually be found swimming in the summer weathers, but are harder to find as they like to conceal themselves at the bottom of the water to stay cool.

Fall: Active, these fish that stay awake during the Fall days can be a bit knippy and they'll be easier to find even in the days when it rains. They'll come out to play.

Winter: Not usually the best time for fishing since we all know in Mizahar of those frigid winter nights. It is recommended though, for them ice fishers. Go get them fish guys!

Where to Find Them:

Ponds- Small fish can be found within these waters. Easy enough to go basic hand fishing or Better for practice, spearfishing.
Lakes- Fish can be found just as much as the ocean within these waters. Though, since the lakes are smaller in size the fish tend to be more active at the bottom of the waters.
Rivers-Small schools of fish lurk here and there and are gradually dispersed about the river.
Suvan Sea- Fish are open and more commonly found in these areas.

Mizahar Ocean(s): All fish can be commonly found throughout the open waters. It's just the manner of which one can simply catch them.

FISHING TECHNIQUES:

Line and Rod:A spool mounted on the edge of the wooden makeshift rod. Or if it's made out of any other material. The line and rod is the main player for fishing. Without it, fishing could pose a challenge if you want to fish with bait and or fish for larger fish. Though, one can always use the basic hand fishing.

Process:

*Simply bait the hook by retrieving a piece of bait be it a worm and or other fish-bait the hook by hooking the worm or other bait onto the hook itself.

*remember to keep the bait sturdy on the hook. So the that the bait could stay on it for a certain period of time before it eventually comes off. Either by snagging the line, or a failed attempt of catching the fish. Even by it being hooked on too loosely.

*Casting: Simply raise the rod either behind you and cast forwards. Which sends the line straight most likely. Or try your hand at side arm casting.

Basic hand fishing. One must use their hand eye coordination to determine and successfully execute catching the fish with your hands. It's easy to teach beginners and all one has to do is simply pick up the basic seafood that lie around the shore.

Example Seafood:
Seashells
Clams
Lobster (Be careful though)
Crabs
Shellfish can be picked up as well to be used. Though, they mostly inhabit tidal waves on the outer most parts of the shore. (Suggestion made by Shimoje)

Spearfishing:

This technique can get easier with the practice. When one thinks of a spear, the manner of which it comes to mind is usually thought as a weapon. Not all tools can be weapons per say, unless, one has Mastered it's weaponary. So, without further ado, spearfishing. Spearfishing was dated just as far back as hand gathering. In fact, one of the first tools used to capture seafood, out at sea. It is difficult for Novices as a starting technique, though with the practice of the spear handling it would be much easier.

Items and Tools:

Speargun: Notorious for the fishermen who drive out to sea on boat. This tool can be used to catch large sized fish.

Spear: Obviously known for its technique. Used against fish that are out of reach. Easy to use and built with a long makeshift pole crafted with a metal spear tip. Sharp and keen.

Knives: This tool/weapon can be quite useful if say your speargun had been misfired and caught onto a branch or intwined with some other miscellaneous sea nature. Also, if the Float or the Floatline becomes tangled it would help to cut off the string.

Float: This tool is useful for casting out and entrapping almost large fish. It is more commonly used as a marker for where the school of fish tend to be. Be careful of the floatline though.

Floatline: This is just a slightly thick string tied to the buoy and the boat. There is a sinker which is used to keep the float/buoy at bay and not drift off.

Gloves: Gloves are favoured by the fishing men and women. It is good to keep your hands fairly protected against either the knippy weather or even when the string pulls to fast.

Netting: Easy and simple to use. This can be quite confused with trapping. There is a difference between these two, of course. With netting you are using the crafted tool with ease, simply catching the fish above the waves of the water. These fishing nets are made out of wool and or silk and can sustain the pressure of the fish and the resistance of the water. These tools can be incredibly expensive since of its resources used to create it.

Angling: Usually entitled for casual sport affairs. But, the common fisherman tend to call the basic ability of angling is the simple; catch and release technique. One might start out with learning by their father as a young child. But, be careful of who's around you. There are also many other skills related to catch and release.

Trapping: Fish traps are challenging to make. Though, if one can find an artsy crafter, best to go that route than build your own. The prerequisite for knowing how to trap the fish beforehand is to understand how your contraption works first. There hadn't been many fishing traps invented throughout the time, but the most common one these days are the casual fishing net.

Other Techniques: Crab Fishing. This type of fishing is simple, used mainly with a net and simple metal casings around it to support the weights of the crabs. Used promptly for crab fishing.

Types of Bait:

Fishing Lure: An artificial crafted tool mainly used to drive the fish into thinking that the lure is a fish. Good for not wanting to catch your own bait.

Worms: Any type of worm is good for fish. The worms that fish favor most usually is either night-crawlers or garden worms.

Other Bait: Leeches can be used for a replacement bait if one hadn't had enough coin for worms. Other fish can be used as bait as well, good for catching the massive fish; such as sharks, dolphins, whales; and the like. Chum is used as a standard material for fishing bait.

Salt Vs Seawater:

Salt: Fish; such as: Sharks, whales, dolphins, and other dwell within the tidal waves so once in reach of them it is of course optional to fish or not to fish for them.

Seawater: Sharks and whales, dolphins, and others belong in these waters. It is most advised that one comes out to sea being prepared.

Hazards of Being Out at Sea: There are many things to worry about. Here's a list of them:
  • The weather... this can be a hazard based on the thunderous waves or the treacherous winds.
  • Boat Leaks-These can be fatal, if the crew fails on realizing it's dmage the puncture could increase to dramatic damage.
  • Food Supply- Be sure to pack enough food and water for the duration of the journey if it takes more than a day at most. It's advised to bring at least twice more than what you have already. It would probably be the safest.

Risks:
  • The risk of loosing men out on your voyage is terrible. Be sure to look after them all.
  • Leaks are a huge risk when out at sea
  • Lack of food
  • Predators
  • Drowning
  • Loss of Equipment
  • Stress
  • Death

Novice: (1-25)

Fisherman just starting out can only learn so much at hand. It's easiest to understand and figure out hand fishing. Hand fishing, is by far the most simplest of them all. It only requires a good amount of hand-eye coordination. The original Rod and Reel fishing tool can be practiced at the state as well. But, also, using this tool needs a lot of consistent practice. If one is intending to get better at the fishing skill, it's best advised to take his time at it as well.

Competent: (26-50)

Competent fishermen have the capability of taking on spearfishing. It's quite difficult and he who intakes spearfishing, one must know how to use a spear. One can't go spear fishing if he doesn't have any skill in the weapon.

Also, when one reaches competent skill level, they would have the ability to start learning how to fish with nets and start learning how to use the fishing net.

Fishing on a boat would be easier. Though, it's best advised to stay closer nearest the shore when one is on a boat fitted for one to two men at a time. If one takes a small boat out to a deeper part of either the ocean or a lake, be careful as you might be taking more than one risk listed above.

Expert: (51-75)

Expert fishermen would now be able to classify the different types of fish and bait used or caught whilst fishing. These men and women might keep a fishing journal with them at all times. This knowledge of knowing which fish is what, this level of skill also helps the fishermen to know where exactly the rarer fish might be, depending on the region. These dish men also have the capability to search out the more inhabited regions of where the fish inside the waters live-note this might be confused as a power. This is not a special power, it is common sense and the prior knowledge of experience.

Master: (76-100)

As one becomes more and more used to the skill of fishing. These men and women have the knowledge of knowing where the best and the most valuable fish tend to dwell. They also have the capability of running a full crew at sea. These men and women also know more varied techniques of fishing and other locations where fish might tend to be at times. These fishermen know exactly if there are known fish in the area and they have the skills to fend off anything dangerous. Like a whale or a shark.

Other Notes On Fish:

[/indent][/size]
Last edited by Ferrin Al'Mandrikan on July 19th, 2016, 9:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.

"With a heart of steel, I raise my blade in combat. The only thoughts I have in my mind is whether I'd return home to my family. I am a soldier, and will fight for love and peace. That is the way of being a Syliran Knight"-Ferrin.

Sig :
Dimensions Changed to: 300x150 pixels.

Credits to Prophet for making this amazing Sig. He does a great job!
I'm Open To Guest Storytelling Let Me Know, and I'll See What I Can Do!
|| Syliras Lore * Syliras * Plotnotes * My Scrap *Ferrins CS ||
Ferrin Al'Mandrikan
Loving Family Man - Protective Squire

Words: 705389
Joined roleplay: July 16th, 2015, 1:02 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Artist (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Gillar on July 10th, 2016, 4:52 am

Overall, not too bad. There are a number of minor errors in grammar with a few typos so you may want to go back over it and catch those. There are some things I would suggest modifying and/or delving a bit more into.

First, I would expand on the various techniques and give a bit more detail. What you have right now is mainly generalities that vaguely describe what the techniques are. For example, with the rod and reel, maybe speak something about the actual process. Baiting the hook, slinging the baited hook (connected to the fishing line) out into the water. From there, different fish respond to different things. Making the bait dance in the water by pulling back on the rod repeatedly or setting the rod in a stationary position and watching the end of it to see if it bobs. Holding the reel while fishing can sometimes scare the fish away due to the vibrations on the line and the bait. While you mention a bit of this further into the article, you mention it in the items and tools section. You may want to separate the techniques into their own section.

Also, spearfishing should be made clear that it is a Competent level method and that certain sizes of fish are easier to catch than others.

For the skill progression, you don't really detail much about what can be done at each level. For example, Novices would know how to string their reel and run it down the rod. They would know how to bait their hooks with simple bait such as worms, chunks of meat and so on and use basic weighting techniques. They would be able to use a basic rod and reel in fishing for common fish. By common, I mean those that are not rare, monstrous or otherwise special beyond the norm. They would also know basic gutting and cleaning methods.

Competent fishermen would have a greater grasp on more diverse types of bait and what they would attract. They would understand the benefits of chumming the water to catch certain kinds of fish. They would also have a better idea of where to look for different kinds of fish. Some fish prefer shallow water to deep while others prefer cool water to warm. The Competent fisherman would have a good grasp of this. They would also have a chance of trying spearfishing with at least some chance of success. These fishermen would have the skills necessary to fish for more uncommon, unusual fish and even some of the more dangerous ones such as small sharks, piranha and the like.

Experts would have a grasp on a wide variety of different types of bait, how to harvest it, how to handle it and what it works best on. They would also know where to find the rarer types of fish and how best to catch them. They would be able to read the environment in a way that would tell them the best place to find certain types of fish. This isn't a supernatural ability but more of using their experience to understand the habits and nature of the fish they are looking for. I wouldn't mention the ability to maintain ship and crew. Though such a thing is related, it isn't necessarily a primary aspect of a fishing skill. Experts can confidently fish for larger and more dangerous fish such as the larger sharks, whales and more exotic, even supernatural fish that would otherwise be able to best lesser fishermen.

Masters have a skill that borders on supernatural in the way that it works on instinct. A Master would have an instinctual feeling of where best to find certain kinds of fish. They know of any and all types of bait, how to to use it and how to safely handle it. Their senses (only as they relate to the pursuit of fishing) are such that they could place their hand in the water and feel the movements of nearby fish. While they couldn't determine the type of fish or the number, they can tell if indeed there are fish in the area as opposed to the natural ebbing and flowing of the water itself. A Master fisherman is the one who will go out alone against a killer whale or great white shark without fear; their extreme skill providing them all the confidence they may ever need. There is no limit to the type, size or nature of the fish they can hunt.

I would also check out some of the different cities/regions and see what they have to say about fishing and/or the local sea life. You may find some things in there that could help shape your article. Of course, any information gathered from those places needs to be properly credited but you may be surprised what you can find that is relevant to this article. In general though, if you an get a bit more detail and content into the various sections that goes beyond the current sentence or two that there currently is in some places, you may find a more solid looking product in the end. For now though, you do have a good foundation and some good basic details to expand on.
Gillar
Forging the World

Words: 1345407
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 6:44 pm
Race: Isur
Office
Medals: 1
Featured Contributor (1)

Postby Ferrin Al'Mandrikan on July 10th, 2016, 1:18 pm

Thanks Gillar. I'll update it whenever I can. :)

"With a heart of steel, I raise my blade in combat. The only thoughts I have in my mind is whether I'd return home to my family. I am a soldier, and will fight for love and peace. That is the way of being a Syliran Knight"-Ferrin.

Sig :

Ferrin Al'Mandrikan

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Artist (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Ferrin Al'Mandrikan on July 19th, 2016, 9:11 pm

I have edited the skill progression completely and found a lot of typos that I've fixed. I'm looking at the list of fish that each city has and I'll implement those at the bottom containing a link to each one of them. If there is anything else, please let me know. :)

Sig :

Ferrin Al'Mandrikan

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes