Clash of Commanders(Alexander Faircroft)

Garland and Alex have a mock battle with their squads

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

Postby Garland on September 12th, 2016, 3:49 pm

Garland finished his flurry of random swings and oddly enough it worked, he fended off Alex and got back on his feet.

Though the swings had drained him somewhat and he ended up staring at Alex while the two of them caught their breath. Alex had been resting a few seconds longer than Garland while the smaller squire wasted his.

Garland had endurance, that much was certain, but nothing compared to Alex he thought. The taller squire had carried around two blades almost as tall as he was and had run from one side of the battled to the other while carrying his kit.

Garland had really put himself at a disadvantage at this fight, Alex losing his bastard sword only made his kit lighter, and Garland losing his bastard sword meant he would be using a weapon he had no actual combat experience with.

Garland saw Alex charge and took a deep breath to prepare himself for the impact. He could just dodge, but it seemed that both of them were on their last legs, and Garland had the advantage at close range and Alex charging was a way for Garland to get in close.

He held his shield and stood his ground, he was planning on taking the hit and just pushing through Alex's defenses and attempt to disarm him.

The knights were discussing on who would win, Garland's natural talent and never-give-up attitude matched Alex's hard work and tactics, it was still anyone's game.

"My miza's on Alex, kid's got something up his sleeve, like that counter before, Garland's tough as nails and that's the only reason he's still up, but endurance has a limit. Unless Garland could pull off something or Alex fumbles, this is over I think." Catherine smiled and said to the two other knights. "If Garland ever becomes a knight, he'll be Ser Shorty, being one of the shortest male human knight in history I think."

The squad had been silent, waiting for the end, Lilly didn't even have a chance with Alex. This fight had been even but luck was on Garland's side, if Sylvia didn't risk overgiving, she could turned this battle around, she has wasted her energy with trying to topple Garland over with wind.

Sera Frostfawn just smiled. "Ser Shorty doesn't fit, despite his size, he looks like he can take down an Akalak. I think it'll go either way. What do you think Greyheart?"
Garland
A Father First, A Squire Second

Words: 687461
Joined roleplay: August 24th, 2014, 2:02 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 2
Overlored (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Alexander Faircroft on September 12th, 2016, 4:11 pm

Description "Alex Common" Alex thoughts "Myrian" "Fratava" "Others"

Before anything else happened on the sparring field. Greyheart spoke back to the other two.
“Brute force and ignorance can only get you so far.” Greyheart spoke with a smile. More a compliment than anything else. “He’s made a fatal error. Look at the positioning of the sword. That isn’t meant to charge. It’s a leaver. Garlands tough and ridiculously strong I grant, however what happens when all of that force is transferred back at him? And Garland won’t be Ser shorty, We’ve already got Sera Shorty.” He finished his words planning his hand lightly on Sera Frostfawns head lightly before having it swatted off and a sharp glare shot in his direction.

The truth of the matter with the rest of the teams was simple. They’d been beaten through poor use of their advantages. Alex had pushed his squad into taking on people they’d had an advantage against until everything broke down because their own egos got in the way. They all knew it, even Garland’s squad knew they messed up because they let their ego get in the way. And now it came down to the final furlong. The last leg of the endeavour.

If Garland had charged he would have had a chance to avoid it, but he didn’t. The mentality to rely on pure strength and sheer power was what had sealed his fate finally. Alex barrelled into wards him. Knowing garland would try to take a swing from the proximity he ducked his head tightening his form and using the length of the blade to block as best he could. Before he lifted the tip of the blade. Hopefully it scooped garland up between his legs and rolled him onto his torso atop Alex’s shoulders. And then with a quick and firm shunt which would take the majority of Alex’s restored and remaining energy, he’d toss him from Alex’s full height down onto his back. Using the weight of his armour and his own body mass to damage him and end the spar. Hopefully. Otherwise he was in a seriously bad position with no defences, to speak of.

Alexander Faircroft
A criminal, without a crime.

Words: 945306
Joined roleplay: January 5th, 2016, 9:21 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Garland on September 12th, 2016, 6:22 pm

"Oh Shyke!" Garland kicked the air and just tried to break free from Alex's grasp, all in vain, he couldn't find any leverage to break free.

Garland tried just slamming his fists onto Alex's back, he would have used his axe, but he didn't have the time or room to use his axe before he was slammed to the ground.

"OH PETCH!" He yelled as he landed on the ground with a huge thud and clank, he just lied there on the ground, feeling the pain rush through his body, although all he had was a blank stare, as he was sure Alex had already had his blade poised to strike.

"I think we've tied our wins and losses." Garland groaned out and let go of his axe, surprisingly he still held on even through the punishment he had endured. "I can't move. Carry me?" Garland joked and he just laughed and followed by a groan.

"I'm kidding, help me up though." Garland pulled himself up and with that the fight was over. Garland's team may have had the advantage of experience of skill, but they had very little teamwork and the only reason they obeyed Garland in this fight was that Alex scared them into line.

"And the winner is Alex and his team! I think we're done here, Ser Greyheart, Sera Frostfawn. Let's leave the squires to patch themselves up. I think no one was really injured. They'll tough it out. Wanna get some coffee?"

"Well, the shield games are coming up next season right? Break the tie then?" Garland asked as he felt his back almost give out. "Nope, that's gonna hurt in the morning. 40 pounds of steel does not cushion a fall, if anything it made it worse."

Garland limped off to talk with his team, he'd assume Alex would do the same. "Well, that was eventful. I think we did a fantastic job, every one of you."

"Fantastic? We lost!" Narick yelled out in irritation. The others seemed just as angry or equally feeling melancholy.

"Pretty sure we did fine, Narick. Pretty much down to the wire." Garland stood tall, despite the pain in his back and his height, he still looked the same as when he entered the battle, a bit more tired, but still had that upbeat smile, a smile that one would mistake for confidence or smugness.

"We fought our hardest, I just made bad calls, but that's why we're here on the Training Grounds, learning how to fight, any old fool can swing a sword, any idiot and shoot a bow, but it takes strong men and women to work together, it takes someone strong to be a leader." He glanced over to Alex. "He was stronger, and now I have a target, a goal to achieve. I count this lost as milestone to victory, lose here to survive the battle later or some philosophical shyke about fighting or something. Let's just get wasted because we did the petching best we did and now have a goal to achieve! A rematch! We'll beat them next time, to the ground!"
Garland
A Father First, A Squire Second

Words: 687461
Joined roleplay: August 24th, 2014, 2:02 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Alexander Faircroft on September 13th, 2016, 2:38 am

Description "Alex Common" Alex thoughts "Myrian" "Fratava" "Others"

The sound of steel crashing into the sand was loud enough to make Alex forget the sharp twinge of pain in his shoulder from the point of impact. The shout enough to let Alex know that the weight was lifted from his shoulders. With a loud sigh Alex just gave a cynical glance towards Garland before offering his hand. Even in defeat the man was as gracious as he was in victory. The weight of the stouter squire almost pulled Alex off of his feet as he didn’t fully expect it. The announcement, to Alex’s surprise, of Sera Catherine calling his victory made it official.

“Excellent work from both of them, and their teams.” Greyheart spoke with a soft smirk and a keen glance towards Sera Catherine. Sera Frostfawn then broke the silence with a sharp tone.
“It as an acceptable performance. Let’s just hope the two of them get better in the future. For all our sakes.”

Alex caught the words exchanged between the three knights, and flashing Garland a small smirk he turned to his team the four crowding around him with a look of wonder. Expecting him to say something proud and overly confidant. What they were met with was quite the opposite.
“I’m sorry guys.” His words caught them completely off guard.
“Why’re you sorry!? We won!” Elise blurted out losing her composure lightly.
“We didn’t win. Most of, no. All of you, had this been real combat would have died, and all due down to my shoddy planning. To my lacklustre foresight.” Alex could feel the tension in his hand building. He’d been declared the victor but he still felt like a loser. “Despite my poor orders and planning you four managed to hold your own throughout that. And for that I’m severely honoured to call you guys my team.” He smiled a practiced well preformed and almost genuine looking smile.

As his team began to stride off still riding high from the fact they’d won Alex glanced back At Garlands team, the group altogether much lower in spirits but still together. As usual Garland was already rebuilding those spirits as he’d done for Alex when they first met. Something about a blockhead with a strong optimism was a good thing to keep about. And Alex found that his often fake but well versed smile had turned into a genuine one without his knowledge. He was glad to have the capability to call Garland his friend. Or rather the closest thing he had to a rival. Today was his day in the sun, next odds were it would be Garland’s. Despite all the guessing and uncertainty one thing was assured. He’d have to work even harder to keep up.

Alexander Faircroft
A criminal, without a crime.

Words: 945306
Joined roleplay: January 5th, 2016, 9:21 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Samuel Longwell on February 6th, 2017, 6:31 pm

Grading Complete

Please edit your grade request thread so that it's obvious that it's been graded. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions/problems with your grade.

Name: Garland

XP Award:
  • Leadership 3
  • Planning 3
  • Rhetoric 2
  • Tactics 3
  • Weapon: Crossbow 1
  • Weapon: Shield 4
  • Brawling 1
  • Weapon: War axe 3
  • Running 1
  • Endurance 3
  • Logic 1
  • Acrobatics 1
  • Philosophy 1
Lore:
  • Leadership: Bravado can be a powerful tool.
  • Tactics: Try to remove ranged support
  • Alex Faircroft: Not so green anymore
  • It takes strong men and women to work together
Rewards: +5 Shield points for training, +1 Point for thread with Patron

Notes:A fun thread. You spent a lot of time just narrating the battle without Garland doing much though, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but cut down the opportunities for XP. I hope you enjoy your grades.
Samuel Longwell
Warrior

Words: 219143
Joined roleplay: May 19th, 2016, 2:40 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Previous