PM to join New Connections Amidst Chaos (Bron)

Kelski looses Darvin in the riots and meets someone new.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A lawless town of anarchists, built on the ruins of an ancient mining city. [Lore]

Moderator: Morose

New Connections Amidst Chaos (Bron)

Postby Kelski on March 11th, 2018, 4:55 pm

The Kelvic felt incredibly comfortable around the father daughter pair. And if pressed to say why, Kelski wouldn’t be able to answer. She liked Bron’s touch too, almost coveted it, and freely melted into the girls support when she offered it. Kelski was also relieved that Bron seemed to be getting better by the chime. Normally she’d fuss, but since Matrim hadn’t seemed concerned, Kelski decided to follow his lead and let Bronwen make her own decisions on whether she was okay or not.

The Kelvic hadn’t minded that the Syliran Knight hadn’t returned her slight affection. She was used to men being rough, brutal even, and had not encountered those that gave comfort or showed concern. He was, in that, no different than his peers in Sunberth that Kelski had ran across.

“Help me?” Kelski looked puzzled. She wasn’t sure she needed help, but she let the conversation flow onward and didn’t press the subject. The Kelvic did however note Bron saying her father was an honorable man. He wouldn’t hurt her? No, all men hurt women. It was just how the world worked. Kelski touched Bron’s shoulder a moment, gently, as if acknowledging her words, but she didn’t say anything. It was most likely that this rather large man in front of her sheltered her daughter from what really happened between men and women. It was an ugliness in the world the Kelvic wanted no part of.

The Kelvic could see a myriad of thoughts in the young woman’s eyes, but none of them made sense to her. She understood fear, pain, uncertainty, but Bronwen seemed to not have any of those. Instead, there were questions that went unspoken. Kelski wanted to ask about what she saw in the girls eyes, but she remembered Thorne and how the girl had wanted to take her home… how she’d entertained Darvin in the back alley and then claimed it was all for Kelski… which was something the Kelvic hadn’t wanted to ever see again.

“It’s a sign of nothing for me.” The Kelvic said irritably, responding to Bronwen’s comments about piercings. “It’s a way for him to control me, hurt me, and make me ashamed. He is a hedonist, my owner, and wants his things decorated to the point of being garish. I understand the subtleties of beauty. My jewelry designs are simple and timeless and things anyone would be proud to wear. But over and over he makes me sit at my bench and make things that are too much… too gaudy… ugly even. Jewelry should enhance or highlight something, not overwhelm it. But if you argue, he’ll call a minion in and add a new piercing. Then he will weigh it down with something heavy. He’ll put them in places no jewelry should be… and then display it to someone he wants to covet what is his, never letting them touch or taste. And the bitterness and resentment grows. My owner is ill of the mind.” She said softly, knowing if they were going swimming together, Bron would see just exactly what Kelski was talking about.

“Thank you for… trying to see light in the darkness. But sometimes it is only dark and one should be enough to just let it be dark.” Kelski said, her grey eyes meeting Bron’s gaze. The girl leaped the puddle beside the woman, both of them walking with Matrim now who strode as if he were a man on a mission.

When Bron said her words, her flattery, Kelski reached out and stopped her… interrupting her train of thought. “I am not a woman, Bronwen. Thank you for thinking so and thank you for saying I should be treated as a beautiful woman… but I don’t want that. They are subservient and usually on their back or knees. I am a Sea Eagle and I need no one to treat me as anything like that, especially not here. If I did not wear a collar and have an owner, I would be in the sky and away from here. Humans… the humans here… are decayed. There is something wrong with each and every one of them. If I could, I’d fly away and never wear skin again. Women hate you because of your features. Men just want to dominate you, holding you down and putting their bodies in yours to show you how powerful they are by hurting you. Being human is horrible. Being on the wind, hunting, living free is much better.” She said firmly, knowing her words to be true.

By this time they’d reached the shore, Matrim was already swimming. His dive was clean and he looked like a seal … albeit a very large seal… diving into the water. Kelski was surprised he wore clothing and Bronwen had something on under her outfit as well. Why would they get their clothing wet? The Kelvic shrugged and stripped to her skin, revealing that she did indeed have piercings in places no one should have them and an ugly brand on her right buttock in the style of the Sun’s Birth gang. It was still healing, partially scabbed over where someone had pressed a hot iron into her flesh. She acted as if it didn’t bother her.

When Matrim waded towards them, Kelski paused, watching him a moment. He looked like a predator but there was nothing predatory in his manners. The contrast in the scene gave her momentary pause. How could men look strong and not particularly aggressive? Darvin certainly was. Her owner was as well. Kelski glanced at Bron, taking her ques from the woman. Bron wasn’t getting into the water yet, but Kelski wasn’t going to let that stop her.

Wading into the water, Kelski splashed around happily until she could sink down into the water up to her neck and grin. “I don’t have underthings, so it’s my skin or me fully dressed and I don’t want Darvin to find me with my borrowed clothing soaked.” Kelski said, indicating the neat pile she’d carefully made on top of her prized kidskin boots. Then she frolicked around, dipping her head down and putting her face under the water to splash water up and over her hair and down her back. The action looked exactly like a bird bathing, splashing in and throwing water up on her back. She laughed, carefree, and splashed some more.

Matrim looked at Bron and raised an eyebrow. He beckoned her into the water. “Did I hear her say she was a Kelvic? It explains so much.” He said, gripping his daughter’s hand and walking her backwards into the water. He kept an eye on the playful Kelvic, understanding as only a father with two precocious daughters could, that the slave had to get her delight out of her system before Kelski could actually pay attention to a lesson.

“Now Bron… there’s two things you need to learn first. We have to get you both floating, and then we have to get you both treading water. Floating isn’t hard. People naturally float. The air in our lungs help, but our bodies are very buoyant anyhow.” He kept a grip on her hand and smiled an encouragement at her. “I’ll keep a hold of you but lean back, like you are gently falling onto a soft bed, and let the water pick you up and hold you. Arch your back, spread your arms out… I’m right here if you get nervous…. But do as I say and you’ll float like a champ…” He said with a rumble, watching his daughter with pride.

Kelski, despite her play, had been listening. She moved so she could watch Matrim help Brom and did what he said, lifting her arms out to her sides perpendicular to her body and leaned back, letting her feet come off the bottom and the water hold her. It was terrifying and exhilarating all at once. She jerked a couple of times, losing the relaxation that came with her success and falling into the water. But she kept trying, arching her back a little more until she felt a big hand under her back, holding her up.

Matrim had moved to stand between the two young ladies… as both Kelski and Bron floated. Kelski could touch Bron’s right arm with her left one, their two limbs intertwining as they moved their arms keeping their bodies afloat. Matrim’s arms were stretched out, one cupping the small of Bron’s back, supporting her gently, the other stretched out doing the same for Kelski. He muttered encouragement to both of them.

“Good… very good… ready to learn to tread water?” He asked, gently giving them both a guiding hand back to a bit more shallow water so they could put their feet down.
They laugh at me because I am different.
I laugh at them because they are all the same.

Painted Sky Jewelry (The Wildlands) | Crossroads Jewelry (The Outpost)
Kelski
Freedom is earned. Fight for it.

Words: 2015452
Joined roleplay: July 3rd, 2014, 11:08 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (2)
Mizahar Grader (1) Trailblazer (1)
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Sunberth Seasonal Challenge (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Bronwen on March 18th, 2018, 12:32 am

Bronwen was very quiet when she and Kelski reached the shore. The Kelvic's words had broken something small within the Syliran's spirit that Bron couldn't place. To think that this woman's, this female's, body was being used to control and punish such a friend that Bron was sure to find in Kelski was unthinkable. Some men were cruel, but she wanted the Kelvic to know that not all men were cruel, but how to get this understanding across to her new friend, the woman didn't know. Maybe Kelski would see the gentle kindness in her father and know that, at least, he was different.

When Kelski disrobed, it was all Bron could do not to gape, for true to her word, the Kelvic was not unlike a human pin cushion. Metal dotted her flesh and hung in very painful places, indeed, but it was the mark on her bottom that made Shiress wince. It made her heart wince, just has much as it made her stomach, but to see Kelski so happy, as she played in the water, made Bron smile past the concern.

Mat pulled his daughter from her sympathetic reverie. "Yes," she replied, "a sea eagle, but Father," she turned doleful grey eyes on the Knight, "her master uses piercings as a punishment and other things.." Bron could see the muscles of Mat's jaw work, as he mastered his contempt. "Well," he said, "we can show her that humanity can be different." And he did, for Bron never once saw her Father look at Kelski's nudity any different than he would herself, his daughter.

Floating was a new thing to the Syliran born brunette. It terrified her. To no end. Over and over Bron's head dipped below the surface of the water and she came up spluttering and coughing, scrambling for a handhold as if her life depended upon it, even though if she stood up the water would be waist high. Swimming was a new concept for Bron, because bathing had been the most she had done with submerging herself into the depths of water and the fearful woman suddenly fell into a panic.

"No, Father!" nails bit into Mat's arms as his daughter pleaded with him, "I dont want to go any further in!" Bron shoved soaked hair from her face as she spoke, but her Father only smiled, knowingly. Mat applied gentle pressure to Kelski's back, bracing her against the waters current. "Do you trust me?" Mat asked Bron, then, looking down, he caught his daughters eyes, tone lowering. "Do you trust me, Bronwen Druva?" Bron stared at her Father a tick before answering. "I do trust you." she said. Mat turned to Kelski. "I need you to trust me, too." he said, head dipping to find her gaze. "I need you to know I'm not going to let harm come to you, okay?"

Before Kelski could utter a word, or his daughter scream protest, the soldier had pulled them both out to where the water was over their heads, but merely up to his chin. Mat wrapped strong arms around the waists of both women. "now, let go and move your legs as if you were running in place and let your arms glide slowly back and forth in the water." As he felt the two women comply, he slowly eased his hold on them. Bron's head immediately went beneath the surface, but with another firm hold, Mat pulled his daughter up. "You have to move your legs, Bron, or you'll sink like a stone."

Bron reasserted herself, trying hard to please her father, but in her chest her heart beat against her ribs like a frightened, caged bird. But then, Bron's eyes met Kelski's and a smile split the Syliran's lips. Oddly, Bron's heart slowed, fear ebbed, and she began to tread water as Mat's firm hold withdrew.

If this tormented and enslaved creature could find courage to tread the great sea, then so could she.

Bronwen
Making myself unforgetable

Words: 127034
Joined roleplay: May 29th, 2014, 6:13 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Mizahar Grader (1)

Postby Kelski on March 26th, 2018, 3:17 am

Kelski wasn’t one to believe a man just for his words. Humans lied. The Kelvic simply nodded to Mat’s statement about him not hurting her and kept playing in the water lightly, eyes on Bron with a bit of concern. The Kelvic could tell the woman was scared, but she didn’t want to crowd her or make matters worse by drawing close. Kelski didn’t like that look in the otherwise happy girl’s gaze. This was especially true when Mat pulled them into deeper water. Kelski wasn’t afraid of the sea. She loved it, though she had no skill at all in terms of swimming. That lack of skill was reflected in how she splashed around, fearless, awkward, without any real form or function.

If Bron thought she could talk Kelski into trusting her father, just like that, the young woman would be waiting a long time. Humans had beat the hope out of the Kelvic and turned her into a cynic in all forms of the word. Kelski pretended she didn’t hear Bron’s words about her owners using piercings as a punishment. The Kelvic knew Bron had it wrong. Her owner didn’t use it as a punishment against her, but against others who were sensitive about hurting the innocent and made them preform the actions to punish THEM not the Kelvic. The Kelvic could give a shit less… though she didn’t particularly like metal through her skin. Shifting got rid of it, quickly, and that was reassurance enough.

Kelski watched as Mat held tight to Bron, trying to help her float. The young woman needed to relax, perhaps a shot or two of whiskey would have done her wonders before venturing out. Kelski splashed closer, ignoring Mat for a moment and spoke quietly.

“Bron.” She said, starting out softly. Then a little firmer. “Bron. Listen….” The Kelvic said, quieting in the water. Her voice was soft, a deeper alto than her normal husky whisper. “There are stories among the Svefra… the sea people… that tell of Laviku and life.” There were stories. Kelski had heard them aboard the numerous ships she’d sailed on or been a prisoner of. Kelski reached out a hand and gripped Bron’s shoulder gently. “Bron. Life didn’t come from the land. People don’t know or don’t remember because of the Valterrian. But it’s a true thing. Here, in the water, is the oldest home. It’s the first home. It is the home all of us came from. There are stories, even among the animals. I’ve seen proof of it… myself. With my own eyes. There are great whales, huge black and white ones… mostly black with white slashes across the sides of their faces that highlight their eyes. They were something more once, something different. They crawled out of the sea and became the wolves of the land. But some of them missed the sea, and those wolves went back into the water…. a long time ago. And they shed their fur and grew fins and turned black and white. They grew larger, far larger than you can imagine unless you see these whales, these orcas. But there’s a secret… a way to tell there’s truth in the story. When baby whales die, as they sometimes do, and wash ashore…. wait until the bugs and the birds and all the living things pick the flesh from their bones. And if you can get one, steal a lower jawbone, Bron. And then take the skull of a wolf… one that is the same size as the jaw… and you will find they fit perfectly together… as if they were meant to be. The only way you can tell there is a difference is because the whales have teeth that are shaped like cones where the wolves have sharp pointed teeth. Its because they ‘ve changed over time to eat different things.” Kelski said softly, storytelling with all her might to try and distract Bron.

“Seals and bears were once of one clan too. Their bones fit together almost identically as well. Such a thing would not happen if the stories were not true. And it is said that even your people came from the sea… the humans… crawled out as small things and grew larger and then walked upright. There are creatures that live in this world that are as old as time and they remember. They remember everything.” Kelski said, glancing at Mat.

The Knight said nothing.

“Inside you is the sea. Time has changed it to red and filled it with iron. But in the end it is what it is and you are of the stuff you are in now, Bron. Our blood is like the sea. It is the sea. Can’t you feel it? It will hold you up and keep you safe… it will even feed you, if you let it.” Kelski said, urging Bron to relax, trying to distract her with her voice.

Kelski told her story as Mat pulled them deeper. She followed his instructions as he let go of them gently, remaining close. Kelski didn’t trust Mat. She knew him and had never had issue with him, but he was a man and human and they were full of flaws as much as any other creature. She did, however, follow instructions… and kick her legs, treading water as she moved her arms outwards, as if holding herself up. The water was strong, gentle, and didn’t let her sink. She smiled at Bron and dipped her head under the water to look around before popping back up.

“I can feel it… it’s a comfort. Can’t you too Bron?’ Kelski reached out and touched the girl again, gently on her shoulder, ignoring Mat for the moment, hoping he wouldn’t interfere. Kelski wanted to splash and play with the other girl, but Bron was just too scared. So she treaded water instead, awkwardly, with no real skill, just enthusiasm. And then Mat gave another lesson.

“If you lean back, arch your back, and spread your arms out…. You can let the sea hold you up, like The Kelvic was saying, Bron. All you need to do is lay back, stretch your arms out to form a big T, and breath in and out slowly… keep your back arched and you’ll float. It’s the best position if you need to swim a long time and get tired and need to relax. You can even sleep at sea like this if you learn to hold the position. Come on Bron… Kelski… try it. I’ll be right here if either of you have issues. But if you keep your arms out and your back arched, you won’t sink. I promise.” He added, demonstrating for a moment by arching his massive torso and flinging his arms wide and seemingly settling back into the water where he floated for a moment, gently kicking his legs to steer his position.

Kelski nodded, keeping an eye on Bron then leaned back as Mat had done, arching her back and opening her arms wide. As the Knight had said, the water picked her right up and held her neatly there. She didn’t sink, though occasional splashes of water would cover her face as a wave or one of the other swimmers movements created motion in the water. When she got braver, she turned her head to see how Bron was doing… to see if her new friend had relaxed yet.

Kelski

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Bronwen on June 4th, 2018, 3:19 pm

Kelski's first call for Bron's attention went unheard, but the second, more forceful one pulled the Syliran's widened eyes to the Kelvic, one hand still firmly attached to Matt's forearm. Annoyance was Bron's initial reaction to the Kelvic's words, not at Kelski, but at her own self for being unable to calm herself enough to listen and understand. But, before she could snap off some annoyed response, the Kelvic's words began to unravel into a story that sunk its claws deep within Bronwen's imagination.

The story itself was one the Syliran had never heard, but she had heard of the great beasts of the ocean, but to think that she may have come from one was...Bron's eyes left Kelski's and skidded along the surface of the water, before returning to settle on the storyteller, who, at that moment, had every bit of the skeptic swimmer's attention. The frantic motion of the arm slicing through the water by her side slowed, the vice-like grip on her father's arm loosening, as Kelski's words awakened a vivid imagination.

Bron watched her arm move gently through the water, her fingers ripping like a fan beneath its surface. Bron smiled, allowing herself, for the first time, to actually feel the ocean's gentle and warm embrace around her. Slowly, she followed Mat's instruction and eased back into the water, her back arching slightly, as long legs floated to the surface. She could feel the ocean support her body and she closed her eyes, allowing the gentle motion and sounds of the water calm her thoughts, then plunge them deep beneath the surface of Kelski's story.

Tilting her head slightly, she saw the Kelvic's hand close to her own and, not truly knowing why, moved her hand to let their fingers entwine. Glancing up, she found Kelski's gaze and smiled, not noticing that her Father's attention was no longer on the two females, but on a figure moving down the beach toward them.

"Ser Mat," called a male voice, as the figure came to halt near the water's edge, "a word, please?"

Matrim blew out a frustrated breath, then guided Kelski and Bron through the water until their feet could touch. "Take turns helping each other float, I'll only be a tick." The Knight gave each woman a nod and quick smile, then moved his massive form through the water to greet the stranger. Bron watched her father move away feeling an awkward silence brewing, but before it could fully engage itself between the new friends, Bron turned to Kelski. "Thank you for that story and for helping me." she said, brushing back wet hair from her eyes, "it really did help."

Bron studied Kelski a chime before a wide grin spread across her full lips. Bron forced her arm through the water, creating a wave that washed playfully over the Kelvic's head. "Even if you did all but call me a whale!"

Bronwen
Making myself unforgetable

Words: 127034
Joined roleplay: May 29th, 2014, 6:13 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Mizahar Grader (1)

Postby Kelski on June 10th, 2018, 4:17 pm

“I didn’t call you a whale!” Kelski said indigently. She tossed her wet hair and snorted, her grin showing she understood the lighteness to Bronwen’s words. But as the girls’ father retreated from the water to speak to his associate, Kelski grew serious.

Kelski watched Matrim retreat from the water and sighed thoughtfully, glancing at Bronwen. She continued to tread water, though a thoughtful expression crossed her face. “Your father is the sort of man most should strive to be. He is strong, beautiful… but it is something both within and without. I like watching him move. He fights well and teaches with kindness. I am glad you have such a male as a father.” Kelski said softly, her quicksilver eyes following the Syliran Knight out of the water. She couldn’t help but admire the way he moved. Matrim had struck a chord in her that she didn’t know she had. It was like inside herself she wanted something… no someone to admire… someone worthy of serving. It was ever the internal conflict of a Kelvic. They were designed to serve…. from the tips of their toes to the points of their nose. But when there was nothing around they desired to please, to fetch and carry for, to make life easier around… they grew hollow inside. By their very natures Kelvics wanted to feel loyalty to another, to love another, to bring pleasure and happiness to another… it satisfied them in a way that was rolled into their genetics.

Keski concentrated on treading water, moving her hands and legs in time as she thought hard and spoke to Bron. It took effort, but she was trying, enjoying the feeling that the water was buoying her up and keeping her safe.

“I’m glad we met.” She said absently to Bron. The feelings inside her were hard to manifest into speech, especially for a Kelvic. She barely understood them herself, even though she was busy inside carefully examining them. Being a Kelvic and feeling as Kelvics tended to do… Kelski was constantly torn between what she wanted and what the reality actually was.

So when left surrounded by those who were subpar in some of the ways Kelvics admired, a desert expanded inside of themselves; a place rain never fell, or flowers never bloomed. Bronwen and Matrim were like fresh rain on Kelski’s inner desert and she admired them both. They were close. They had love between them. They had mutual respect and admiration. That kind of relationship, the Kelvic could see, was the sort the world had trouble breaking apart and defeating. Bron was strong, with a bright inner light that shone from her eyes. Matrim was the kind of man that made Kelski want to follow his lead in all things and cover his back when it might be vulnerable.

The Kelvic couldn’t decide if Fate was generous or cruel introducing these two to her. Swimming with them was like a playtime the Kelvic never got to experience. She felt safe and happy and utterly content to be surrounded by the river with the smell of the ocean not to far away. And the way Matrim had treated her had shocked her. Kelski had expected when she’d stripped off her clothing for him to look her over, judge her, and maybe have a flare of lust in his eyes. But Matrim had reacted completely differently and had treated her like he’d treated his own daughter… with courtesy and respect. Kelski wasn’t used to it. She liked it… the respect, the equality, feeling like she had a chance to be on par to another human, even a fine one.

She started to say more but Matrim called to both women. “Bronwen, Kelski…. we need to get going. Something’s come up that needs my attention and I think you’ve both had enough swimming for the day. We can definitely do this again though… perhaps when there’s not a riot in the works and the sun is out.” He called good natured, as he said a parting word to the man who was obviously leaving but had delivered some sort of news that Matrim had to act on.

Kelski gave Bron a look and together the girls started to carefully swim towards the shore, kicking their legs and moving slowly and cautiously as those newly introduced to swimming were prone to do. Reaching the shore, they both dressed, exchanged promises to meet again, and went their separate ways. Kelski refused Matrim’s offer to escort her back to Sun Birth territory. She knew where she was at this point and could safely find her own way home.

Kelski

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Kelski on June 10th, 2018, 4:19 pm

Grading!

Kelski

Experience: Bodybuilding +3, Brawling +2, Socialization +5, Dagger +3, Subterfuge +2, Leadership: +1, Storytelling +1, Swimming +3

Lores: Sunberth: The Mood Of A Crowd On The Verge Of Rioting, Sunberth: Witnessing Magehate First Hand, Bronwen: Good With A Quarterstaff, Sunberth: Being Lost, Bodybuilding: Hauling/Swinging Kegs For Strength Training, Brawling: Using Kegs As Weapons, Observation: How To Spot People Under The Influence Of Drugs, Bronwen: Levelheaded Under Pressure, Bronwen: Good Leader, Subterfuge: Being Deceptively Weak In A Fight, Matrim: Bron’s Father – Syliran Knight, Matrim: Fights Like A God, Sunberth: Best Places To Swim, Bron: Very Kind, Myrians: Have Piercings With Meaning, Matrim: Great Swimmer, Good Teacher, Swimming: How to Float, Swimming: How To Relax On Your Back, Swimming: How To Tread Water

Bronwen

Experience: Observation +5, Negotiation +2, Quarterstaff +5, Socialization +5, Leadership +3, Planning +3, Swimming +3

Lores: Sunberth: The Mood Of A Crowd On The Verge Of Rioting, Ethics: Stopping A Thief, Sunberth: Witnessing Magehate First Hand, Kelski: Slave To Sunberth, Observation: How To Spot People Under The Influence Of Drugs, Kelski: Doesn’t Hesitate To Brawl, Kelski: Good Listener, Kelski: Can Be Deceptive In A Fight, Quarterstaff: Fighting In A Riot, Kelski: The Condensed Version Of Her History, Sunberth: Best Places To Swim, Kelski: Kelvic Sea Eagle, Swimming: How to Float, Swimming: How To Relax On Your Back, Swimming: How To Tread Water, Swimming: Anxiety About Water, Matrim: Great Swimmer, Good Teacher, Svefra Story: How Life Came From The Sea And Returned To It

Note: Let me know if I missed anything. I frequently do!

Kelski

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Previous