Open [No Man's Land Tavern] Kelvics Gone Wild

One never knows what is going to happen when three unbonded kelvic females get together to do a little 'bonding' of their own.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A lawless town of anarchists, built on the ruins of an ancient mining city. [Lore]

Moderator: Morose

[No Man's Land Tavern] Kelvics Gone Wild

Postby Kelski on June 4th, 2018, 12:19 am

Timestamp: 10th of Summer, 518 AV

It was a little pathetic, Kelski thought, if she actually admitted it to herself that she'd be hanging out here taking a break from what was the almost constant work of getting The Midnight Gem ready to open. Rough stock coming in demanded cutting and the ingot order she'd received from Dagwood Metals hadn't turned itself into rings, bracelets, necklaces, and crowns all on its own. But the truth was, as tired as Kelski was, she was a good tired that overflowed with self satisfaction in the fact she was working for herself and not for someone else's needs.

Wearing a deeply hooded cloak, she concealed the two black eyes and broken nose that was evident if anyone got a clear look at her. She looked beaten, and those wounds were only half-healed. Kelski didn't want to advertise her situation, it was bad enough people were catching a glimpse of it anyhow.

The Kelvic had long since learned to move past things though. And this was one of the things she was going to move past as fast as possible. She was free and that's all that mattered.

Taking up a corner table and sitting half in the shadows where she could whisper in Makath to the residents of No Mans Land, Kelski was people watching. She wasn't admitting it to herself. She didn't come here to maybe catch a glimpse of someone she knew and someone she missed. No... that wasn't it at all. The Kelvic still wasn't in a place where she felt comfortable interrupting someone's life unless it was something they wanted and actively sought.

Still... it didn't hurt if she just sat here and waited to see who would show up. Akajia knew the shadows here were friendly enough, whispering gossip in her ear and teasing her about the Barkeeper that kept giving her expectant glances. She often gave him coin and left items with him. He knew her after half a dozen such endeavors. But still she wasn't handing anything over. She wasn't sure she wanted to hand the last item off.

It sat neatly in her backpack tucked at her side. When he finally wandered over to her and offered to refill her wine, she nodded her thanks and dug into the backpack. It was now or never. Taking a cloth bag out of the backpack, she handed it to him and passed him several gold coins... much more than she had for the arm band or any of the other stuff. She gave him a smile and simply told him... "This is the last time. Thank you for all your help." She said, sitting back and then and only then deciding to order food.

"I'll take something to eat... anything meaty you have... and if you see him again... give him that please." She indicated the cloth bag he held in his hand. It was heavy. She knew precisely what the weight was. It was something Kelski had worn around her neck for two seasons of living here in Sunberth since that Svefra had traded her to Jaren for ship repairs. It was her slave collar... with the clasp removed and nothing to hold it together any more. She knew it would send a message to Kynier, and whether or not he got it would be up to the fates. What he did with it afterward would be up to him.

As for herself.. .she'd be all right. In a few days she'd be opening her shop and it was a victory of sorts. Tonight she was celebrating quietly. Ren had suggested she might meet her here... and who knew whom else would drop by. Well fed, once the barkeep brought a meal, Kelski knew she'd enjoy the day regardless.
Last edited by Kelski on June 13th, 2018, 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
They laugh at me because I am different.
I laugh at them because they are all the same.

Painted Sky Jewelry (The Wildlands) | Crossroads Jewelry (The Outpost)
Kelski
Freedom is earned. Fight for it.

Words: 2015452
Joined roleplay: July 3rd, 2014, 11:08 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (2)
Mizahar Grader (1) Trailblazer (1)
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Sunberth Seasonal Challenge (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Rene Rafar on June 4th, 2018, 4:24 am

It was nearing the twelevth bell when Ren was finally able to meet up with her friend and fellow kelvic Kelski, at the No Man's Land Tavern for lunch. After moving out of Riverside Dovecote Ren has been busy with being a courier just so she can make living as small as it is, But she is her own person now and she likes it that way.

The young girl spotted who she was looking for making her way. "Boy that smells good." Ren smiled as her stomach began to growl. "I hope I haven't kept you waiting long Kels." As she pulled out a chair to sit down in. Looking at Kelski's meal she knew she couldn't afford it. So she ordered a small trout and water to drink.

"So what's this good news you wanted to tell me the other day? I want to say I'm really sorry I wasn't able to talk with you then. I was late as it was for my next delivery." Ren apologized.
Last edited by Rene Rafar on June 6th, 2018, 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rene Rafar
Player

Words: 47214
Joined roleplay: March 19th, 2018, 2:29 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Dusti on June 4th, 2018, 3:17 pm

Aimless was her new purpose in life, little work, little want to do anything even if she had work. Her father had thrown himself into anything he could find and spent most of his days glued to his late wife’s husband and his own bondmate, taking comfort between them. Dusti was happy he had comfort but it was overshadow by her grief and jealously. It made a strange hollow pit form in her stomach that wasn’t the normal longing for things she knew she couldn’t have, and no amount of food or family filled it.

It left the Kelvic wandering familiar streets, staring into buildings she hadn’t gone in, watching children follow their parents until her eyes burned red. The idea of her birthday celebration now sickened her, the Summer season already growing tainted the long it drug itself out. It was certainly what prompted the unsure pause in front of the tavern. Dusti had never touched a drop of liquor in her short life, the smell pungent even from outside but there was a warmth flowing from the building. Not familial but the squiggles above proclaimed the name, and the sounds inside could drown out the white noise in her head. A half check to ensure she was wearing at least her jacket and pants if nothing else, the Kelvic glanced around, ensuring there was no one watching to tattle on her and slipped in.

Food and quiet conversation hit her ears and nose first, a rumble reminding her she hadn’t eaten this morning and had she even eaten last night? But her eyes soaked in the tables, the dim light that cast a strange hue of lateness on the room though it was far form late in the day. Took in the empty tables and the full ones, the empty tables as unappealing as her empty apartment but worried about finding a seat among clear conversations. She wanted some sort of company though, craved it like she now craved the meal being delivered to a table with a lone pretty woman and shortly joined by a shock of bright red hair. It was the hair that truly caught her eye, and the tingle of knowing. A buzz in the back of her mind that gurgled happily.

Kelvics.

Both she’d guess, and looking at them little things stood out to truly make it known. The hard, flinty gaze of the darker haired woman, eyes more reminiscent of an animal than the thoughtless gaze of a human. The red haired womans’ hair was her tell for Dusti, no human hair could have those hues in any light, the stripes that decorated it faintly were amusing to watch. Any worries of rejection weren’t thought of because there was no better company than a Kelvic for a Kelvic, Dusti thought.

It took her several loping strides to finish crossing the room, gaze flicking between the two woman when she reached the table and curled herself into a chair without a word. “Is the food good?”

Cracked and raspier than intended, the Kelvic cleared her throat after, voice firmer and sounding slightly less disused to her own ears. “I’ve never eaten in a tavern before, whats this one?”

A few quick sniffs and her fingers twitched, reminding herself sternly that this was not her family and she didn’t get first pick of the food no matter how she stared it down.
Dusti
Player

Words: 14484
Joined roleplay: May 22nd, 2018, 5:36 pm
Character sheet
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Rene Rafar on June 5th, 2018, 8:51 pm

Ren tilted her head to the rough voice and smiled as she felt that same filling she had the first day she met Kelski. "Why not come join us and find out." Ren slid what was left of her half eaten fish to the new girl, I'm Ren this is Kelski we would like the company. It is not often we meet others of our kind. I hope you don't mind that its fish. Have we met before?" She asked the young girl who looked familiar but couldn't really place from where.
Last edited by Rene Rafar on June 6th, 2018, 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rene Rafar
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Kelski on June 6th, 2018, 4:27 am

A recent existence of having little to nothing to eat besides thin soup and stale sometimes moldy bread did things to a Kelvic’s head. On one hand she really liked that the strange Kelvic came up and joined them without batting an eyelash while striking up a conversation as if she’d known the other two for years. Such things made new acquaintances easy… and friendships fast forming. On the other hand, the Kelvic felt the very real need to take off anyone’s hands that came close to her food. And Dusti was eyeing her thick beef stew as if she was trying to decide whether she could take it or not. Ren did in essence the same thing by her comment, causing Kelski to narrow her eyes and hissed at the women, raptor-like, in a display of ‘mine’ that only another Kelvic would understand.

She was still too thin from her near-starvation. And the stew was as good as it looked. Thick and meaty, the stew came hot and loaded with vegetables that were as fresh as the meat. There was even a hunk of fresh bread spread with butter jammed into the plate alongside the bowl.

It was sooo good.

Kelski hissed again, her mood turning possessive. The meat was hers!

The bartender understood the jeweler’s gesture, even if no one else did, and brought not only two other bowls of stew as fast as he could but a forth and larger bowl he put in the middle of the table that the girls could serve themselves second from family style. Another platter of bread with butter was also laid out and he refreshed their drinks and gave Dusti whatever she wanted.

At the overabundance of food, Kelski calmed and offered the woman a smile. There was more than enough for a group twice their size and the Kelvic knew it as soon as the bartender got done loading their table down with food. Kelski relaxed and started eating, her quicksilver eyes softening on the other two women. The Kelvic ate slowly and carefully as she watched the others set into their food and eat.

“Ren, I don’t remember? Good news…. There’s never any good news in Sunberth.” She said with a slight smile before continuing her eating. Kelski ate deliberately and delicately, chewing each bite thoughtfully as if she were savoring each morsel of meat or chunk of vegetable independently. “It’s all very bad, all the time…. “ She said softly, quietly, around the mouthful of food.

Glancing at Dusti, Kelski offered her a smile between spoonfulls. “I’m Kelski. This is Ren. You are very welcome at our table.” Now that there was enough food. She said, meaning it fully. Kelski didn’t trust most humans as far as she could throw them. But when it came to other Kelvics, they were her kind of people.

Turning to Ren, Kelski gestured to her neck and to the absence of the collar that Ren was perhaps used to seeing her wear. “It’s gone. I’m free. My owner’s father released me to punish my owner. That and my old teacher in Lhavit send him a letter and voucher with coins. I think the Svefra told him where I was… even after all this time.” She said thoughtfully, after all this time still more grateful than she could ever believe of Master Li’s ability to work with people and work around them. She was gone too soon from the shores of Lhavit to learn all she could from him. Someday, Akajia willing, she’d get to see him again to personally thank him.

“So… are you going to introduce yourself?” Kelski asked the newcomer abruptly, then offered her another smile. She had other questions, but she refrained from rapid-fire asking them. Instead, she dropped out one at a time, hoping to learn more about the newcomer. “Are you new to Sunberth or just new to this tavern?” She followed through with that question, curious about Dusti and where the freckled woman was from. Kelski was secretly charmed by the freckles, though it was hard to resist wanting to reach out and touch them … maybe trace their lines on the new woman’s face and see if they made a design of linked together.

Kelski

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Rene Rafar on June 6th, 2018, 6:17 am

"Kels you don't have to share your food," Ren smiled at her friend, "I gave her my fish because she looks as if she could use it." Just then the bartender had loaded their table with food. "Thank you." The young woman said as the sent of the rich stew filled her nose and began to eat hardly.

At Kelski's gesture Ren did notice that her collar was gone. "I call that good news. Though it is true here in Sunberth there isn't much in way of happiness we just make the best of it when it does happen."

Ren quietly watched the new kelvic out of the corner of her eye while savoring a bite of buttered bread she had dipped into her stew waiting to hear abort the new girl.
Rene Rafar
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Dusti on June 10th, 2018, 2:15 am

Dusti felt the hairs on the back of her neck rise, arching in her chair with a curl of her lip in answer to the hiss but she was not stupid. At least she liked to think so, a glance at the woman showed her to be a little taller than Dusti but it’d be even on that scale, the brief thought of grabbing the food nearly overwhelming her before more settled in front of her. Immediately she snuggled back into the chair, fingers already tearing into the food without reservation. Words slipping out between bites of fish, “Thanks.”

When more food arrived, the Kelvic made no qualms hoarding more food to herself. Having others eat normally made her realize how many meals she’d been missing, made her worry for her dad who was missing just as many meals. She made plans to bring him leftovers, whatever would fit in her pockets. It took a few minutes for her to join the conversation, comfortable listening and trying to gauge her companions more fully. They were certainly friendly enough but who knew how long that would actually last.

When words were finally directed to her there was a pregnant pause where Dusti froze, unsure of if or how she wanted to answer before she was able to settle more, asking her own questions before answering.

“You don’t feel new, but I’ve never met you before.” It came out frankly, there was an air that seemed to linger around those comfortable in Sunberth, and the only people comfortable in Sunberth were those born there. A gift and a curse. “Why were you a slave? You could bite their throat out.”

The words weren’t a threat, just a statement of fact and a simple question. Dusti would always want company, a bondmate but she would never desire a collar or let anyone put on her. She detested that anyone thought they could collar a Kelvic, the fact that one who had been collared sat in front of her made her stomach churn even if it didn’t stop her continuing to stuff her face. Sighing as the food began to dwindle she finally answered the questions directed at her, grudgingly giving out her name to the other two.

“I’m Dusti,” she chewed slowly and thoughtfully eyed the red head jutting out an untrimmed nail at her “We did meet, you were at the tents. I’m new to the tavern, never eaten in food in one neither cause ma—“

Her answers flowed a little freer once she started but that brought them to a halt. A dry sting trapping the rest of the words before she could give herself a physical shake to take away the feeling. She wanted to forget for a moment, bask in the company of people not grieving and food that set warmly in her stomach. Rene words setting her on edge for a moment, words leaking a bit shriller than the others, “There is nothing to make good in Sunberth or this season. Nothing.”
Dusti
Player

Character sheet
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Rene Rafar on June 10th, 2018, 1:57 pm

"Welcome Dusti," Ren smiled at the new girl turning in to a look of concern.

"I'm sorry if I had said something to upset you it truly was not meant. As for nothing good in Sunberth, yes it is a miserable place but if all you dwell on is the bad and not try to see some good no matter how small it is..." She shrugged taking a bit of her stew before continuing.

"It may just be me but I see three friends, I'd like to think that is what we are or could become sitting here in this tavern enjoying a very delicious meal." Looking at each kelvic in turn with a thoughtful look on her face. "I'm not saying I don't agree that Sunberth is a horrible place it is, but it is the only place I know. We all have had bad horrible things happen in are lives. Take me for instance I live in Tent City I had a good home or I thought I did until I met Kelski."

The young woman took in a deep breath only to let it out slowly to calm the deep hurt and anger she felt just thinking back to what happened after she returned home. "I went home to the one person I had really known and thought of as family, told her about someone I had met. Instead of being happy for me, she locked me in an attack room at nights maybe would give one meal if I was lucky. When I wasn't I was beaten and what little mizas I made she took. Before you ask why I didn't just kill her..." She paused just long enough to look at each one in turn.

"I would rather live then be hunted down by very the people that protect her. So I did the only thing that I could do and that was to leave and live on my own. It may not be the best thing in my life, But I am able to live for myself."

That said Ren went back to eating her meal savoring each delicious bit.

Ren took a drink to wet her dry mouth after she was done saying how she looked at things before continuing on. "Gods help anyone who tries to treat me that way again." Her eyes narrowed to slits in anger as to dare anyone to challenge her and her freedom.
Rene Rafar
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Kelski on June 10th, 2018, 4:59 pm

Kelski watched the two Kelvics and she realized something then and there. She used to be like them. Strong, opinionated, with the thought that something would NEVER happen to her that she didn’t want to happen to her. The truth was, they were both living under an illusion of security that didn’t exist. In any moment someone stronger, richer, faster, more violent or more determined could take everything from them… even their lives. They could be thrown in slave collars, beaten, used, and forced to do things they never wanted to do. It would change them, warp them, make them harder and less confident than they were right now suffering under their illusions.

Dusti’s question was insulting. What was Kelski supposed to say? She was a slave because she wanted to be one? Because she didn’t bite their throats out? How do you explain to someone when another enslaves you and beats you down to the point where you would scramble for crumbs of birdseed or beg for another blow if it meant you could have fresh water? They would never understand unless they had been in situations where their life meant nothing, and their will was broken. There was no response Kelski could give Dusti that would satisfy or convince her of the how things happened because Dusti didn’t know… she was ignorant and arrogant and there was nothing to change it but time and experience. The brutal truth was there was always someone out there in the world bigger, stronger, meaner, and with more power. Dusti just hadn’t ran into them yet. She would, especially here in Sunberth, and the lesson would come hard and fast and then she’d realize how stupid her actual question was.

No one enslaved let anyone do anything. They just did it. It just happened. And often there was nothing one could do about it and retain their life.

So instead, Kelski just shrugged. “Doesn’t matter.” It was a truthful answer. It didn’t matter. She’d walked from that life free and clear and would do her best to avoid that life again. It didn’t mean she could avoid it, but Kelski was a whole lot wiser now than she had been in Lhavit where life was simple and good, and no one was forced openly to do anything they didn’t want too.

Dusti’s attitude though… the Kelvic felt bad for her. If she lingered in Sunberth, Kelski knew she’d learn hard lessons. They were the same sort of lessons Rene probably had already learned. But Rene had a different take on Sunberth, one that Kelski could somewhat appreciate.

When Dusti said there was nothing good in Sunberth, Kelski’s mind strayed away. There was a lot good in Sunberth. She now bore heavy loans, but there was a building on the far east of town that was full of hope as it overlooked the Mudway and the Sea. It was filled with glittering gems full of promise for a future that was different than what Kelski could have imagined one season ago. Her mind also drifted to a set of warm hazel eyes that were fierce with magic and a scent that drew her in remembering it surrounding her with warmth in the form of a cloak. Sunberth had good in it, but it was elusive and fleeting and something that when one found one had to hang on to with all ten talons.

Kelski thought perhaps Ren understood because she pointed out how there were three of them there enjoying a good meal. That was a miracle in and of itself. Ren was still speaking and Kelski turned her attention to her friend.

Wait. What? Had a good home until she met Kelski? The Kelvic Sea Eagle sat up and leaned closer, narrowing her eyes to hear all of what Ren said. Kelski frowned, upset suddenly by what Ren said and what happened. The Kelvic Ocelots meaning became clear as her story came out. Kelski shook her head, disgusted, and nodded.

“You’ll be happier on your own, Rene. I know you will. They use us… always. I do not think its easy to find someone who won’t. I think the secret is finding someone who will be honest in their dealings with us and call it what it is. That is when we can be truly happy, I think.” Kelski said softly, leaning back and studying Dusti. She’d been eating the whole time they’d been talking and thinking… and was finally getting fully. Later... later she'd tell Ren about the spare room she could rent her. It was small but far safer than tent city.

“Dusti, so what is your story? Are you from here then or elsewhere?” She asked, wondering if the other Kelvic would be forthright. Kelski had no idea what sort of Kelvic Dusti was, but she thought perhaps she was a predator too by her attitude. Rene and Dusti were both fierce, and in many ways unspoiled. Kelski watched them both thoughtfully. It was beautiful to see in them, like it was something pure that she had never had nor never would understand truly herself since she’d come from nothing, and seemed to continuously circle around being nothing.

This season would see if she had the ability to be ‘something’….. if she could be fierce again, bold, and fearless like these two were. The truth was far different though. She was terrified inside. Completely and utterly to her core she was afraid… afraid to be on her own, afraid she wasn’t going to be good enough to keep her business afloat, and afraid someone would be stronger than her. It was a frightful situation to the Kelvic, and one she couldn’t explain to these two.

Shifting, the Sea Eagle adjusted her sore ribs. They were still mending and sitting in one place a long time wasn’t comfortable, especially with an overfull belly.

Kelski

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Dusti on June 11th, 2018, 5:30 am

Pinned down with a direct question the Kelvic stiffened, eyes circling around their table briefly. They were Kelvics. They were safe. She knew this but she also knew her home, knew stones and children with petty words and petty family who fled with more cowardice than she’d ever be brave enough to show. But she found once she started, Dusti found the words that usually stayed trapped between her teeth slipping through the cracks, “Here. You can only be from here. I’d leave but theres no where to go and no one I trust. Mama d-died and papa is with his bondmate. I’m on my own now cause my birthday this season. Mama called it ‘mature’.”

Shifting uncomfortably, not comfortable with sharing so much she shoved more food in her mouth to stifle the flow of words. “I gave my story, so did Rene. Whats yours?”

“You’re braver than me,” Dusti said flatly, with a roll of her shoulders, “I’d fight and die because I can’t fight but I’m no pet so thats better, not even much a person lately.” There was nothing confrontational in her words, just honesty and a hollow stare. She felt like she was losing something even surround by these two in a room full of more people. It was lonely in her own head, in her own home, on her own. Why couldn’t Kelvic just bond with other Kelvics? It’d be so much easier to not feel the aching hole made bigger by every loss her little family took.

It felt as if her grief had come back to swallow her whole swiftly, jealously for the other two and their found happiness in the city. But her oversharing made her frown, waving her hands unhappily and pushing the food more to the middle now that she’d had enough to feel ready to make sure the other two ate enough. Habit made her check their plates now, eyeing the woman called Kelski, habit made her push more with no subtly toward the other Kelvic as she addressed Rene, eyes locking on the darker haired Kelvic as she moved waiting for her to eat more, “ Ignore me, I’m unhappy, its good you moved, its good she helped. We only ever have each other or bonds. Everyone else is…different. Too different.”

When she only leaned back the Kelvic narrowed her eyes but kept her thoughts to herself, peeking at the red-headed Kelvics plate as well. There was enough leftovers, too much in her opinion but it didn’t stop her from grabbing the driest pieces and stuffing them in her jacket pockets nonchalantly. As she did she sniffed the air loudly, eyeing the cups, “Is this stuff good? It smells…not.”

It was an awkward attempt at conversation but Dusti was trying, letting the scent be the reason for the prickle that wouldn’t fade from the back of her eyes. Waiting for the wrong thing to set her off and leaving her uneasy, glancing around to make sure none listened to their sharing.
Last edited by Dusti on June 12th, 2018, 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dusti
Player

Character sheet
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Next