PM to join Never Walk The Streets Alone

Kelski meets an Akalak for the first time.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A lawless town of anarchists, built on the ruins of an ancient mining city. [Lore]

Moderator: Morose

Never Walk The Streets Alone

Postby Kelski on June 26th, 2018, 4:52 am

Truth be told Kelski was worried about Ebon. She was glad she wasn’t alone with him because the Kelvic knew nothing about medicine and was sincerely worried that she’d hurt him more than he already was hurt. And while Aer’wyn professed he knew nothing about being a medic, the Akalak did step up and take charge in a way that Kelski appreciated. The Jeweler wasn’t sure when the Akalak decided to step up but he was there suddenly, gently moving the smaller males body around so Kelski could clean his back wound.

“I have nothing like that here, nor any wine…” She said uncomfortably, but it was the truth. Kelski hadn’t touched drugs since Darvin had stopped forcing them down her throat. Something he’d said to her as he’d caressed her lips the last day she’d seen him had been enough to deter her forever.

“I’ll hold him though… but I don’t think hes going to move much. He looks exhausted and he’s lost a lot of blood.” Kelski said, worried, but still shifting the Kelvic so she was partially cradling him in her arms.

Unasked he retrieved the needle and suture, strung them, passed them through fire and stitched the wound. Kelski wasn’t sure she could have done it, but as the Akalak worked, she kept the Kelvics clothing out of the way and advised the Akalak on what she did know. “When they stitched the gang members up after a fight in The Barracks, they left a little opening on one corner… sort of at the downward side so any sort of ooze could drain out.” She said, glad he stopped after the stitches he made.

Ebon screaming awake and Kelski struggling to hold him brought torment to her eyes. She whispered soothing words and wished she could take his pain for herself. Even the blood on Aer’wyn’s chin from him biting his own lip gave her pause. None of them should have to be doing this… the city was relentless in its thirst for all of their blood.

Ebon eventually fainted. Kelski was so grateful for that.

To her untrained eye, the work was handy. It did the trick, and even if it left Ebon with scars, at least he’d have his life. And running her hands across the Kelvic’s shoulders, she could see that whatever mark the wound left on Ebon’s flesh, it wasn’t the only one he wore. It was so typical of her kind. The Kelvic looked sad a moment, gently brushed the boy’s forehead, and looked gratefully at the Akalak.

“You did a good job…. And I don’t think you hurt him worse.” She said, shifting to rise and retrieve the jar of ointment that had been labeled for after surgery use. She figured stitching was surgery and liberally coated the wound with the pungent yet fresh smelling balm. Then she laid a bandage over the wound and rolled out lengths of her already torn cloth to secure it in place around Ebon’s torso.

When Aer’wyn leaned back against the sofa, Kelski appeared before him with a fresh cloth in her hand. She gently dabbed at the blood on his chin and then took a finger full of the ointment and ran it across the puncture his tooth had left in his flesh.

“You did a good job.” She said firmly, and began to tiredly clean up the mess. She got out a spare blanket, covered Ebon with it, leaving him laying on his side so the wound was visible and easily accessed, then looked to Aer’wyn.

“I have a spare unused room if you’d like to get a good sleep. I’ll sit with him a few bells if you want to get some rest and I can wake you to take a turn. I’ll run down to the workshop and get one of my hourglasss timers to make sure I don’t let you sleep past two or three bells. We need to get water into him and maybe a bone broth or something. I can put some on the hearth and get it to cooking so he has something when he wakes up.” She said thoughtfully.

“I’ve never met an Akalak, Aer’wyn, but I’m really glad you were there today. I could have never gotten him here without your help and I certainly don’t think I could have stitched him up. I’m a very independent person, but sometimes you just need a little help. I don’t realize that enough. I’m very thankful to Akajia that she put you in my path.” Kelski said thoughtfully, knowing she’d light a black candle to the Goddess later and say a proper prayer for Aer’wyn’s assistance and Ebon getting free. She’d pray to Rak’keli too… asking the Healer to save one of her own. For there was no doubt in Kelski’s mind that Ebon was a healer or that the mark on him was Rak’keli’s. It couldn’t be anything else.

The Kelvic stifled a yawn, got up, and began putting fresh bones, marrow still intact, into the remaining boiling water on the hearth. She added salt and pepper and then uncovered another pot that was sitting just to the side of the fire. The scent of rabbit stew filled the room. “If you are hungry there’s a bowl or two left of stew. I bought fresh bread this morning for it, but I already ate half the loaf so its growing a bit stale now… all yours though if you need it. I haven’t quite gotten used to figuring out how to cook -= even simple things – just for myself.” Kelski admitted, taking a moment to stir up the fire and add another log. She refilled Ebon’s mug with water in case he awoke and finally took a seat herself.

“Bowls and spoons are in the cupboard. Help yourself.” She added, yawning again. Kelski could stay awake a bit longer – several hours if necessary – but she would need sleep before the night was over. She was still recovering from Darvin’s attempt to murder her the day she was released. And it had taken a toll on her.
They laugh at me because I am different.
I laugh at them because they are all the same.

Painted Sky Jewelry (The Wildlands) | Crossroads Jewelry (The Outpost)
Kelski
Freedom is earned. Fight for it.

Words: 2015452
Joined roleplay: July 3rd, 2014, 11:08 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (2)
Mizahar Grader (1) Trailblazer (1)
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Sunberth Seasonal Challenge (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Aer'wyn Grisghul on June 28th, 2018, 2:16 pm

Aer'wyn watched as she finished dressing the wound, breathing a sigh of relief hearing that she didn't hold the act of stitching the Kelvic up against him in spite of Ebon's screams. Sometimes the most spine curling things needed to be done. Between them the two unlikely friends seemed to have accomplished the impossible. Wether it was the hands of gods that tied their lifelines together or simply the most welcome hap chance of all, the three of them were the luckiest people in Mizahar that night to have found one another.

The Akalak looked up at her as Kelski cleaner and rubbed the healer's ointment on his lip. There was something so very innocent in those huge eyes. For somebody who had spent the last fifty something years with a sword in his hand he still had the eyes of a child. But then his tongue glided over the balm and he winced. A minty, herbal, bitter taste filling his moth.

"That does not taste good." he chuckled. There was really very little else they could do in the situation than lighten the mood. After all they made it though the day without loosing their lives and that itself was worthy of celebration in a way.

Her words made Aer'wyn smile. She wasn't the only one thankful for the other's presence for he sure as anything was thankful to have met her. "Likewise, dear Kelski. We made a good team tonight." he said softly. "You know, you're precisely the opposite of what I've come to understand about Kelvics back in where I'm from. Your independence... and you can certainly handle yourself. You're a testament to your kind and I respect that. Akija was watching over us both tonight and I am glad for having crossed your path."

The smell of rabbit stew suddenly grabbed all of his attention and the thoughtful, emotional monologue trailed off as just one thing filled his mind and nostrils. Food. The Akalak's belly gave out the loudest rumble as if to give confirmation of his actions before he even made them. But then again Aer'wyn was always hungry. And being a man of impressively unrefined tastebuds, he'd eat anything as long as it wasn't poisonous or raw, regardless of taste to others.

It would have been completely incorrect yet completely unreasonable for Kelski to assume that the big blue bastard hasn't eaten in days from the way he marched for the dishes. A purpose in his stride. A kind of passion fuelled animation in his movements as if the few seconds it took to shovel the stew between the pot and his bowl were seconds waisted. Truly is he was alone he'd likely eat right out of the pot but it was Kelski's presence that just about managed to prevent such rudeness of his behalf.

"Thank you, thank you." he mumbled holding the spoon between his teeth and his hands were far too busy ladling stew into his bowl and filling it right up to the top. Before he disappeared into the other room however he reminded her for fear she's take pity of the poor Akalak and do otherwise. "Wake me when you get tiered."

There was a certain urgency for Aer'wyn to find himself in solitude, behind closed doors and it wasn't just hunger. Albeit his stomach was the first thing he sought to. Devouring the whole bowl of step in seconds in a manner of a starving animal rather than a man, Aer'wyn then began to give his full and undivided attention to the second task he needed to accomplish. And it seemed he was slowly running out of time.

The Akalak unbuttoned his armour and slid out of it rather unceremoniously. Bare chested and with a full belly it was not time for him to get to work before time ran out.

Aer'wyn sat on the floor with his legs crossed and eyes closed. It grounded him, to feel the wooden floor panels beneath him. Though his blue nostrils he breathed in and held onto the breath only to release it though his mouth. Breathing like that he calmed down his heart rate, slowly, rhythmically and in a controlled way. He began clearing his mind although that proved difficult after the events of the evening but eventually he felt calm enough at least to feel the djed flowing though his body. His mind focused in on the djed of his left arm where a cut has now scabbed over.

Very slowly he focused on the flesh returning to it's normal shape like a rubber band, feeling the tissue move and shift. It was a slow process, one that he controlled to the best of his ability. Bones shifted, joints dissolved. The flesh recoiled strand by strand until the shape of the hand melted away, loosing the definition of fingers and muscles. He carried on without hesitation, bringing yet more djed flesh up into it's rightful place around his shoulder, biceps and pec where it originated from until nothing was left of the once blue arm but a stump ending just below the elbow. That joint was still his own.

But checking whether all was morphed correctly proved not to be next on the agenda as an immense wave of pain crashed into Aer'wyn like a horse in gallop. It would have knocked him out cold if he wasn't quite so used to injury. A scream of agnoy slipped his tongue as he clutched his chest, shutting his eyes tight and trembling. His teeth bit down on his lip once more to prevent himself from making any more noise and the foul taste of the antiseptic balm, that just about lingered around the corners of his mouth, made him wince in disgust.

By the will of Akija, please don't let them have heard that, he thought, feeling a wave of anxiety come over him. But the pain was so intense it paralysed him for a few moments. What the hell was this? Had he left the metamorphosis too long and entered the state of overgiving? No that couldn't be it. He had sone this exact morph countless times and never felt such pain come over him as it did now. It was too much for him to even pull the cloak over himself to disguise his now exposed contusion.

What Aer did not know was that once he morphed his arm and pulled the wounded tissue back into his body along with whatever traces of infection might have been on it. What he was now feeling were the effects of doing so. Morphing wasn't a healing magic and although he knew it to be the case, he wasn't quite able to figure this part out just yet.

Aer'wyn pulled himself towards the side of the bed, leaning against it and breathing heavily as the pain very slowly subsided. A thin line of sweat broke out against his forehead. He was still shaking but the pain slowly turned from stabbing to throbbing across the whole left side of his body.
Aer'wyn Grisghul
I'm blue, dabu-di dabu-da...

Words: 107489
Joined roleplay: June 15th, 2018, 2:43 pm
Race: Akalak
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Kelski on June 30th, 2018, 11:20 pm

Kelski had to admit, she was enjoying the company. Something about Aer’wyn comforted her, though she wasn’t certain if it was his presence or his gentleness with the way he’d handled Ebon. And even though he’d claimed no medical knowledge, he’d stepped up to assist cleaning up Ebon and getting him straightened out. They’d gotten lucky with what they’d found in Ebon’s bag. Ebon had probably saved his own life packing things around and certainly Kelski had been smart taking his bag with them. The Kelvic stroked the other Kelvic’s brow, worried about the young lion and the sadness she saw in his eyes.

Was it worth it? Bonding? She wasn’t sure. Certainly, he hadn’t seemed to indicate his bondmate was reckless or weak. Like everyone else in Sunberth, the violence just touched them differently. And yet she still ran across good people. Glancing between Aer’wyn and Ebon, she suddenly didn’t want them to leave.

Kelski managed to read labels and hand Aer’wyn what he needed when he asked for them. They’d made a good team, managing to blunder through a situation none of them were prepared for. He also managed to stitch flesh neatly, and she bandaged everything firmly. She couldn’t have done a better job alone She cleaned bandages, dampened them as Aer’wyn instructed, and generally made herself useful as the Akalak swung into leadership mode and got what needed to be done accomplished. She even appreciated the apology he whispered for the hurt he had to do to Ebon. Kelski was there every moment, at the Akalak’s elbow or holding the young lion’s human form.

“He’s going to owe you his life.” She said softly, nodding at the young lion still passed out on the couch. Kelski then turned to her own wounds as the Akalak took her up on the offer of food and began scarfing down a lions portion of stew. She was glad she had made plenty. It would be no hardship for her to go hunting again in the morning, and the shopping she’d done in the market had meant there were vegetables left that they could add to make another stew. Maybe she’d try a meat pie though. She’d seen them for sale in the market and only had to pick up a few ingredients. The crust would intimidate her, but she’d never know unless she tried.

And besides… there was a satisfaction in seeing the big male devour what she’d made. It was like a furious itch inside herself that had needed scratching that had finally gotten a long deep rub. It was the need to take care of someone, to watch someone benefit from her care. Between Ebon and Aer’wyn, she’d never felt as satisfied as she had in that moment. And as Aer’wyn shoveled food into his mouth like he hadn’t eaten in months, she noted the size of her stewpot and decided if she was going to go to the market to buy flour and lard for the pie crust, she probably should get a stew pot of a larger size.

Wait… why?

The Kelvic paused in that moment, watched the Akalak eat, and then glanced at Ebon. She wanted them to stay. Both of them. Certainly, the Kelvic for sure because he didn’t seem to have a home or a place to go. But what about the Akalak? Would he if she asked? Maybe they both needed jobs. She could afford to hire a couple people to help her around here for sure. And she started to say something but Aer’wyn’s exhaustion was showing. He took her up on the room almost immediately after the food, and disappeared behind a closed door.

Kelski took the time to eat herself, washed the dishes, and cleaned out the now empty stew pot. She liked manual labor, the day to day chore of taking care of the things that were hers. And it was a good excuse to do something besides sit at her workbench which took up far to much of her time. Aer’wyn had been quiet for near a half bell if not longer, so Kelski checked on Ebon and tip toed to his door to check on him as well.

She paused at the door to knock and heard his cry.

Kelski lifted a hand to the door but instead of knocking, she simply leaned against it, palm flat against the surface. She glanced right and then left, a deep shadow moved and caught her attention before it whispered to her quietly. “He’s fine. Leave him be. If you want to keep him you’ll give him privacy and not crowd him.” Zavath whispered in Makath. Kelski nodded, understanding what the creature was saying. Slowly she moved backwards, releasing her touch on the door and turning away.

She didn’t bother Aer’wyn for four bells. Instead she sat with Ebon and gently talked to him, whispering quietly of stories she’d heard in the city of Lhavit and trying to think of anything a lion might like. She told him some of her favorite adventures hunting and how often it was difficult for an eagle to snag a salmon out of the water.

When she was growing hoarse and her yawns were growing profuse, Kelski quietly rose and noted that four bells had passed. She slipped to Aer’wyn’s door and tapped lightly. Waiting, she tapped again until she opened the door and found him passed out on the floor leaning against the bed, devoid of armor and other things. She quickly retreated to the living room, plucked an even heavier blanket off the back of one of the arm chairs, and walked back to Aer’wyn’s room. Spreading it as she walked, she gently draped the massive quilt over his slumbering form and then took the pillow off the bed and tucked it behind his head.

Silently she moved to his feet and gently removed one boot then the other. She picked up his armor and took it from the room, gently closing the door behind him. Then she sat and cleaned his armor of blood and various unknown substances to wake herself up. Kelski hadn’t looked at him the whole time, not closely, because she’d respected his privacy and wanted him to be comfortable. Men with bare chests bothered her as well… her history of seeing men partially without their clothing had taken its toll on her. It was one of the reason she’d brought the quilt to cover him before she’d made his head comfortable and removed his boots.

His armor she left cleaned in front of the door to the room he was staying in. Then she put a kettle on, brewed some tea, and opened the drapes across the big floor to ceiling glass panes to watch the sun come up. Sunrises over the Eastern Sea were amazing and she took comfort in the summer sky. Ebon hadn’t grown warm during the night and had instead shifted into a restless sleep that she’d had to wake him from more than once when he’d screamed. Early before sunrise he’d woken once, drained two mugs of water. Then she’d helped him to the privy, back to the couch, and had offered food which he’d declined.

Assured that he’d sleep a bit longer, Kelski slipped out of her clothing, shifted her form and circled the sky above The Midnight Gem after Syna was done with her light show. She didn’t have long to circle before she saw rabbits playing in the tall grass, nibbling away at delicate berries that grew low to the ground. Tucking her wings, she dove, banked and snagged one up catching it alive. Kelski neatly broke its neck, dropped its corpse on her balcony, and banked to circle west to look for another. Three trips later and three rabbits wealthier, the Kelvic returned, shifted back into her human form and skinned and cleaned the rabbits after checking on Ebon once more.

He was fine so she cut up the rabbit meat, de-boned it, and added it to water with the remainder of the vegetables. She salted and added pepper before she stoked the fire in the hearth and hung it to heat. She suspected the big Akalak and Ebon both would be hungry when they woke up and she wanted something for them to eat. Maybe at the market she’d treat herself to salted pork and make the meat pies with that. Later in the day she could hunt for more Salmon and grill them on the fire pit. But she wouldn’t leave again until Aer’wyn got up to watch Ebon and she had a chance to leave for more than a few minutes to hit the market.

Word Count: 1452

Kelski

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Aer'wyn Grisghul on July 3rd, 2018, 7:56 pm

If there was ever a truly deep sleeper competition in Sunberth, the winning prize would certainly go to Aer’wyn. The skies could fall down, the earth could tremble under the fury of displeased gods, but the Akalak could sleep though it all. Kel would have had to shake the man awake with quite some force to wake him, so the carefulness with which he tended to his big, sleepy body had no chance of stirring him even a little. Let would make his full journey across the sky only to be chased off by Syna, by the time the sands of sleep fell from his eyelashes.

Wasking up was always something of a confusing moment for the Akalak warrior. But waking up in a barely familiar place, with his clothing nowhere in sight and with little else than a blanket to provide safety from prying eyes - a blanket which he was almost entirely certain he did not get himself - was enough to send Are;wyn into a brief state of panic. Questions swirled around his mind as the events of the night prior began slowly coming back to him. The faces and names of two new friends. The unfortunate set of circumstances that had brought him to the very place he was now. But there was not a single thought more pressing on his mind than a question which slowly twisted his gut with anxiety; did she know?

Becoming more and more lucid by the second as if somebody had thrown a bucket of ice cold water over him, Aer’wyn leant forward and brought a finger up to his mouth. Teeth bit down on blue flesh, hard. The pain now being the only thing that kept him from succumbing to what he could only imagine was the beginning of a panic attack as his mind swirled with possibilities, every one worse than the other.

If he hadn’t grabbed the blanked himself before retiring to his slumber, he though to himself, then the only logical explanation was that Kelski was the one to bring it to him. And if that was the case then she would have seen the stump ending his left elbow. Surely she had to have seen it. A very old wound that even complete novices to the world of warfare would clock as an old wound, impossible to acquire overnight. He looked down at his arm and tapped into the djed of the flesh. He wasn’t quite ready to morph it into a brand new arm quite yet. A dull ache beneath his skin was still there though nothing even close to the pain of last night.

Had she guessed him a mage? And if so would she kill him for it or would she give him time enough to explain so that he could get his blue ass out of there? Shreds of memories made him think he saw a book or two about autistics on the shelves of her guest room but he couldn’t be quite confident on having not dreamt that sight in hopefulness.

Aer’wyn couldn’t believe how reckless he had acted. The situation he found himself in was one of his own doing and thus he blamed no one else but himself for his own stupidity. This perhaps was why in spite of his well meaning nature and looks that generally offended few, that he only needed one arm to count all his living friends. And most of them were back in Riverfall.

The Akalak sat on Kelski’s floor for as long as he could, trying to figure out a way out of this mess without loosing the first chance for real friendship he had in years. But it seemed he was just thinking himself around in circles. And so as Syna’s golden face climbed the horizon line, a guilt settled in his chest over letting Kelski stay up all night as he slept. There was only one way to settle things - actually face them. But just to be sure he clasped the belt of the sword scabbard around his chest just for his own peace of him. There was no doubt in mind that with those daggers, if she really wanted to do some real damage, she could.

A few minutes, Aer’wyn spend looking for his cape but neither that nor his shirt was anywhere in sight. She must have taken them with the armour. His eyes darted to the window one last time, as he briefly contemplated whether hurling himself out of it would have been the wiser idea, before he finally opened that dreaded door.

A delicious smell hit the Akalak in the face as he saw the Kelvic woman standing over the stew pot once more, with her back to him. A smell to make the stomach rumble. Or perhaps it was just him - perpetually hungry. She could cook up a dozen more of those and one would guarantee there was Room in Aer’wyn’s stomach and his heart for more. His attention, albeit with some difficulty, was only on Kelski however. Who to his horror was far less clothed than he wished to see her first thing in the morning. Beautiful of course but staring lustfully at someone he just met was hardly the gentlemanly thing to do.

Thankfully enough a familiar bit of cloth and leather caught the corner of his eye before he had any more time to embarrass himself. His clothing. The fine line between the safety of obscurity and secrets which he had come to be so comfortable with and standing half naked in the doorway like the idiot that he was. Of course Aer'wyn chose the firs. Swiftly enough he wrapped the cloak around himself and leant against the door frame. One problem at a time. He was a fighter not a thinker and there was only so many stressful things he could handle at once.

Trying, and perhaps failing, to be as polite as he possibly could in such a situation, the Akalak audibly cleaned his throat. A sound which alone wasn't likely to grab her attention. “I thought you said you’d wake me.”

What else was he suppose to say? The sight of her naked form twisted his tongue in knots. He may have been the experience, stoic Akalak fighter but at the core of it all he was a simple man. A simple man who did not know how to act around a naked woman. Not after all these years.
Aer'wyn Grisghul

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Kelski on July 10th, 2018, 1:54 am

Kelski was growing more and more exhausted by the moment. Her second and third wind had already come and gone and she was practically swaying as she tended the meal. It was perhaps the reason she didn’t notice when the Akalak’s door had opened nor the rustle of him moving into the space to lean on the door frame. Her form was lean, corded with muscle, and he could see a brand on her left buttock – a symbol of the Sun’s Birth. Between her shoulder blades, a double triangle interlocked in a dark symbol of Akajia’s favor. She looked thin, scarred various places, and stood with what looked like noticeable exhaustion. As she turned, he could see the rest of her, and while there was no doubt she was a female, Kelski really didn’t have ample attributes that would land her a good job in the brothels of Sunberth. She was just too well muscled around her shoulders. Her breasts were small, feminine, and by the narrowness of her waist and the flat hollow of her stomach he could tell she’d probably never given birth.

When Kelski turned from where she tended the pot, and caught sight of him awkwardly wrapped in the cloak and staring at her. Puzzlement crossed her face for a moment. Then she glanced down at her form, then back up at him. “My apologies. I forgot about human shyness. It’s not exactly a Kelvic trait.” She said, moving quietly to the table where an oversized silk man’s shirt draped over the back of one of the chairs. She slipped the deep purple garment on and it slipped down covering her to her knees. “I didn’t expect you up so soon. Are you hungry?” She said, gesturing to the pot on the hearth. “I went hunting this morning, so I changed skin for feathers, and got back a bit. Its ready to eat now, but it will be better in a bell or so.” She said, her eyes lingering on him wrapped in the cloak.

Her eyes traveled down to where one arm gripped the garment around him and circled back to where the other was seemingly either shielded beneath the cloak or missing altogether. “I hope you don’t mind. I covered you last night. I would have moved you onto the bed, but you are so very big there was no way I could lift you without hurting you or even myself. I… I didn’t wake you because I … you looked really tired. And we are both alive because of you.” She said very simply, glancing at where Ebon still slumbered on the couch. Kelski reached up and impatiently pushed her mass of black hair out of her face and studied him carefully.

“You had an arm for the fight… but you had none last night as you slept. I don’t know how that is possible. But I imagine it makes things difficult for you here in Sunberth. They don’t like anything that remotely reminds them of magic, and to me that looks a lot like magic. But I lived in Lhavit for two years… two happy years… and magic was all around. I didn’t learn to hate it like they do. I respect it and give it space. I hope to someday learn a bit of some on my own. I just wanted you to know that. Because the presence or absence of your arm is no one’s business but your own. I won’t discuss it with anyone.” She said abruptly. Shifting, Kelski felt awkward. She wasn’t sure how to tread onto the next topic delicately so she just spit out the words.

“I’m a jeweler. Beneath us is my shop, The Midnight Gem. I know you haven’t seen much of it, but I am in desperate need of some security around here. A guard or someone to run errands, delivering valuable pieces of jewelry to clients when they are finished, would be a very welcome edition. I was hoping someone would take the job for 5 gold a day. I know its not much, but I can offer a room – that room in fact – with a privy and very terrible cooking. If someone accepted, they’d have the run of up here and down on the deck and beach. I’ll add on as I have more coin to do so. The job is lousy with Kelvics that tend to forget clothing is important. The couch often has Ocelot hair on it, and I drop silver feathers everywhere when I molt. Ebon is a lion, so I imagine he’ll be a while here so he can recover. I’d like to talk him into staying since he’s a healer and looks like he has nowhere else to go. That would mean you wouldn’t be the lone male. Ren is the other Kelvic. She’s female. It’s not an ideal situation, but no one is going to care if you sometimes have an arm and sometimes don’t.” She said softly, not sure if she was making a good enough case or not. Kelski wasn’t good with people. Her only advantage was that she spoke plainly without dancing around topics.

“Would you consider the job? Preferably before tasting the rabbit stew?” She said hopefully, moving to flop down in one of the arm chairs that caused her to look like a child. She drew her bare legs up, rested her chin on them, and somehow managed to conceal all her girly bits as she did so. The girl offered him a bright hopeful smile that turned into a huge yawn.

Kelski

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Aer'wyn Grisghul on July 15th, 2018, 2:15 am

Aer’wyn did his best not to stare. Though very very briefly he had noticed something on her buttcheek. A scar maybe? A terrible terrible scar. Only moment later did his mind recognise the mark as that of sun berth. But before his heart could break for a woman another mark had hurried itself into the folding pages of his memory. The symbol of Akaija. A gnosis.

The gods had meant for them to meet that night. Of that he was sure. What else would bring a man whose veins flowed with the blood of the shadows to the sworn, beloved daughter of his patron goddess. Aer’wyn did not believe in coincidences.

Her apologies were met with a well intended protest, albeit a little mislead. “No, no. I apologise. I should have knocked before enter…” a nervous chuckle broke up his reply. “It’s your home. Your rules. It’s only good practice to never walk in on a lady unexpectedly.”

In spite of this she was soon to shroud her self with a shirt. A garment which clearly wasn’t tailored to her form. It lead Aer’wyn to wonder what other men lived here. Perhaps she had a lover or worse, a long term partner. This only added to the awkwardness of the situation as embarrassment and shame flooded over him like torrential rain. What an impression to make so soon after meeting…

Whatever question he had regarding her Kelvic form were soon pushed to the back of his tongue for a more pressing conversation was at hand. Those question would have to wait another day. Perhaps if he had the chance to linger about he’d come to know the answer far more organically. But the moment Kelski mentioned his hand, both anxiety and relief came over him. Soon enough he’d find out where he stood but would he come to find his footing or fall from the cliff of the promise land?

As she spoke Aer’wyn could do little more than listen. His tongue felt thrice the size in his mouth tied with anticipation of every next words she said. Fear dances across the glistening surfaces of his huge eyes.

In that exact moment… that blissful moment when those precious words, like gems, spilled from her mouth. “I won’t discuss it with anyone. In that moment Aer’wyn had found the safety he long yearned for. Not physical safety that a sword of a shield could give him but something far more important to a deeply scarred and wounded heart.

It that moment he wanted to bear all. He wanted to, oh so badly, tell her the story of a lifetime he had hidden so deep inside it had created a mass as dark as Vel. A tumour of a past slowly but surely eating at the inside of him. He wished to tell her the story of how he lost the love of his life along with that arm down to the last heart wrenching detail. The magic that he had once shared. The darkness that followed him; his very own shadow. But the damns which held back his secrets remained strong beneath the pressure of emotion.

In the absence of words, action spoke a-plenty. There was nothing more Aer’wyn could speak with such fleeting things as words than his eyes didn’t already tell her. Thank you, Kelski.

In that moment, as Kelski confirmed once and for all that the Midnight Gem was nothing other than a safe haven of a sort, he did the one thing he knew that would signify his trust in her. With the one hand he had left he reached up to the clasp of his cloak and unfastened it. Fabric slid across polished musculature, revealing 58 years of battle scars, none of which compared to that of his left arm, and with a loud thud it fell to the floor. Aer’wyn didn’t do this to make her uncomfortable. He was a wolf, baring his neck to the other as a symbol of defeat, knowing that she wouldn’t sever the arteries. There was a lot of fight left in him for another day, but that one secret he’d relinquish all battle over from that moment onwards.

Naked flesh hid no secrets, one would think.

The offer that came next couldn’t have taken him more by surprise if she tried. And truly there was that little part of Aer’wyn that leaped at the thought and would be ready to refuse any money at all for the gift of friendship was far more valuable to him. A man with little purpose other than the long long wait for the blissful release of death had a habit of underestimating his own value severely. A kindness in the city of thieves was as rare as a priceless gem. But the voice of a pragmatist in him kicked in before he had the chance of committing to such foolish promises. Without money how was he to ever leave Sunberth for greener pastures? How would he afford blades and armourments a-plenty that brought him precious joy?

“Of course.” he said simply as that, doing his best to commit to the name of the other Kelvic to his memory. It was a mighty load of information to take in all at once. In fact the entirety of the past chime was a little much for an Akalak who’se whole life just took an abrupt turn for far more interesting.

In her chair, Kelski looked like an empress of her dominion. A leader whom Aer’wyn would gladly follow. Together they’d do a lot of good for each other. He could give her protection, and she a distraction just long enough to begin the long road to healing. All it took was that dreaded first step. A step from the many years of comfortable sadness.

Aer’wyn would fluster for a moment, putting his clothes back on. That was sincerely more than enough blue flesh the Kelvic needed to see for one day. In fact there was a small piece of Aer’wyn that worried she’d grow sick of looking at him soon enough. But it didn’t stop him from grasping at the road she held out to him. He took a seat in the armchair beside her, eyes glancing to Ebon every so often to ensure the lion was still enveloped by heavy slumber.

“It would be an honour to help you, Kelski. I do mean it.” As he affirmed his impulsive decision both in words and in his own mind, The Akalak’s brow furrowed. “You mentioned another Kelvic, Ebon and yourself. Am I wrong in assuming the shirt you’re wearing belongs to another man? Or is my sense of fashion so out of touch?”

As soon as he had started that line of thought however, Aer’wyn stopped himself. His eyes met hers. The exhaustion on her face was apparent in sunken in underlies, heavy lids and wide yawns. “What am I saying… You should sleep. I’m so sorry for making you stay up for this long.”

Credit for template goes to Luminescence :idea:
Aer'wyn Grisghul

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Kelski on July 17th, 2018, 3:49 am

Kelski grinned at his apology. “I honestly don’t care…. come and go as you please. And don’t worry about human things like modesty unless that’s a thing among your people. It’s not among mine.” Kelski said, suddenly worried she’d offended him. The Kelvic looked for signs of it, but as bad as she was reading people, he left her guessing. They talked a bit more, and then the Akalak dropped his cloak.

The Sea Eagle knew better than to stare, but the sight startled her. It wasn’t his beautiful body that startled her. It was the missing limb. His arm had been taken, violently by the look of it, and it was still healing. Kelski slowly rose from her spot on the oversized arm chair and padded quietly towards him. She looked him up and down, taking a lot of time to stare at his arm. Her voice was raspy when she finally spoke, standing immediately before him. “I cannot imagine how much this hurt you, both inside and out. I am a winged thing in my other form and to have something like this done to me would be like to cut the soul from my body….” She said softly, then stepped closer and wrapped her thin arms around him, drawing him into her comfort to hug him firmly. “I’m so very sorry…. so very very sorry…” The Kelvic repeated, multiple times, before she stepped back and then leaned in to kiss his severed limb just above the wound.

“I saw an arm there earlier though… you’ve found away around it. At least sometimes… “ She didn’t say it but her words were full of admiration. It took great strength to find work-arounds to short comings in life. For her, a limb loss would mean death. For him, it just meant existing a different way. That was noble in a way Kelski could only aspire to reach.

She retreated to her chair, shifting her legs under her so Kelski was sitting cross-legged like a child. Another yawn found its way out as she shook her head at his question. “Ren lives here. She’s another unbonded Kelvic Ocelot. You’ll like her. She’s quiet and resourceful. You are here now. And Ebon there as long as he needs to stay.” Kelski glanced down at the shirt and frowned. Her cheeks flushed bright red a moment, and then she looked up at Aer’wyn.

“I don’t actually have many clothes of my own. When… I left the place I was at, they let me wear a lot of borrowed clothing. I….” She hesitated a bit, then went ahead and told him. “I was owned by the Sun’s Birth until the first of the season. I was freed because a higher level gangster wanted to punish my owner – his son – and the Warmarshal had gotten a bribe from my old Master in Lhavit whom I apprenticed under. I was not born a slave, but made one through trickery. I owned nothing of my own.. and was just given discarded clothing and things people forgot or lost. I have one fine dress and when I left after my release I just grabbed a bunch of things that I hoped would fit… this included. I don’t… actually know much about clothing. Maybe that could be our first job? Will you escort me somewhere I can get some decent clothes and advise me on what to wear? I know its not the traditional situation, and it won’t be something you’d need to do more than once. I just have no clue what I should get…” She said, clearly embarrassed by what she felt he might be critical of.

“I’ll be right back.” She said, rising and heading downstairs to her office. She returned a few moments later with a bound leather book. She handed it to him and if he were to open it to the marked page, he would find a hand-written calendar with all sorts of dates inked in. There were deadlines for pieces to be finished, brokers to meet, suppliers to pay or collect shipments from, and assorted other tasks.

“These things… here where I have work put in … that means I need to be in the workshop getting these deadlines done. But these tasks here… paying people in person, meeting with suppliers to place additional orders, picking up shipments…. they are things I would very much like someone else to take over for me. It’s more of an assistant position than an actual guard, but the fact that you are an akalak will deter a lot of the humans in the city. This date here? I need to go to Daedalus Dagwoods place and get more ore to use. Daedalus branded me the last time I was there and I hate going to see his furnace. I have bad memories. If I gave you the list and the money to get the ingots, you could fill my order, pay him and return back here freeing me for time in the workshop.” Kelski said.

She pointed out other suppliers and regular dates she picked up shipments and placed orders throughout town. There was also a raw gem supplier she met with once a month. “I can’t avoid going there because I couldn’t tell you what I needed and trust that you would know you weren’t getting cheated with the quality of gems. But its always frightening getting there with the coin and returning here with the gems safely. I am an easy target and I would be grateful for you to accompany me.” She said, gesturing other places on her calendar where pieces were supposed to be finished.

“I get pieces done two days or more before the deadline so I can last minute check them out and reset or clean or whatever needs done. But I’d like you to drop by these addresses… they are in the back… and set a time to deliver their pieces the day before they are done. Then I’d like you to hand deliver them whenever you can.” She said, looking around thoughtfully. “I also supply inexpensive pieces to some of the vendors in the Seaside Market so I’d like you to go once a tenday and take orders from the vendors listed and bring them to me then return on the following tenday to deliver them and collect the funds. I can go with you the first time to give you a sense of how we do it. Then… maybe … I don’t know Aer’wyn… I’m making this job up as it goes… if you want to learn some metalsmithing or to work the forge, I can show you some stuff in the workshop and when there’s nothing else to do, you can maybe pour some blanks for me… a bit of jewelcrafting that’s more blacksmithing than anything.” She added, more than willing by her expression to trade any task in and out he liked or didn’t like or elaborate on anything he was unsure of.

“Would any of that work? I know it’s a lot, but my day is too busy to get everything done without help.” She asked, hopeful and yawning again. “I do need some sleep… and fairly soon. But I didn’t want to wait to ask you to stay.” Kelski said, taking the calendar from him and tracing the date she had marked out for this day. She handled the book like the date was special, glancing from him to Ebon with a little grin. “I will have to note how good of a day this has been… especially if Ebon feels better soon.” She interjected, smiling a little at the slumbering Kelvic. Both the new males were growing on her quickly.

Kelski

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Aer'wyn Grisghul on July 17th, 2018, 12:41 pm

Aer’wyn wasn’t used to the eyes of another on this scar. He had grown so used to hiding it beneath cloak and died. Kelski was right, she couldn’t imagine just how much it hurt, for the severed limb wasn’t just that. It was a constant reminder of the woman he loved more than anything and watching her die by his own hands, being unable to stop the tide of fate. For Akalaks who’se lifetimes last centuries, a few years wasn’t enough to heal old scars.

The sudden contact started him a little but soon enough, a gentle but strong arm wound around Kelski. His cheek pressed against her hair. Her scent filled his nostrils. And though eventually he’d have to he didn’t want to let her go. A kiss on his scar marked their mutual understanding better than any words ever could. A promise, now branded into his skin.

“Don’t apologise, my dear.” he smiled, a sad eyed smile. Perhaps one day he’d tell her the story of how it happened. But it was not today. And so, instead of diving into the voids of grief, Aer’wyn pulled himself together by the sheer force of his will. “ A warrior shouldn’t hide his scars. It’s the magic that I’m more concerned with hiding. As I’m sure yo know, if the wrong people find out about it, the whole of Sunberth will be at your door with torches and pitchforks. I’d rather save you the headache.”

Aer’wyn reached out to tuck a lock of black and white hair behind the Kelvic’s ear and smile at her warmly. “It’s called morphing. With it I could have a different face, different skin, I could even become a bird like you… granted I put some time into learning how a bird’s anatomy works. But it’s possible.” A wink suggested that perhaps one day he’d show her, before they both retreated into the comfort of the armchairs. There was so much they had to talk about. So much they still had to learn.

“I’m looking forward to meeting Ren. And as for Ebon, he won’t be going anywhere any time soon. Not with those wounds.”

For a moment he worried he said something wrong, seeing Kelski’s cheeks turn the colour of freshly ripened tomatoes. He bit his lips, watching for his queue to apologise but soon enough an explanation came. And her tale yanked on his heart strings. It lit the fires of hatred for the Sun’s Birth in him. Even though it wasn’t will for revenge over his own wain, Aer’wyn was one to fiercely protect the honour of his friends as well as his own.

“I’d be more than delighted to do so, Kelski.” He replied to the offer. The idea of shopping, such a seemingly mundane thing that most take for granted, seemed such a perfect excuse to spend some time getting to know each other and just simply have fun. How often did he get to do that where alcohol wasn’t involved? Besides he didn’t have many things of his own. “I’m not sure how good my advice would be. My wife was the one with an eye for these things…” a moment of pause to reign back the words that have rolled off his tongue a little too fast. “I… at least from a man’s perspective I can tell you if something looks goof enough for someone as beautiful as yourself.”

Aer’wyn staid in his chair, patiently, quite enjoying this ‘no modesty requirement’ lifestyle of the Kelvics, as Kelski returned with the leather-bound notebook. He graciously took it and the marked page almost opened by itself. And an exceptionally well organised, in his opinion, calendar met his eyes. Dates upon dates upon deadlines upon plans. He would never have accused the work of a jewel crafter artisan to be simple, but neither had he really understood it’s complexity tis now. As she explained the dates and her expectations of him, Aer’wyn hummed a low “Hmm…” very briefly before his eyes snapped back to her’s at the mention of the brand. For Kelski said it so very unexpectedly. It took him a little off guard.

“You… you’re still willing to do business with a man who did such a thing to you?” As soon as the question came, he bit his lip, wishing to take it back. “No it’s not for me to judge. I’m certain that if there was someone else who for the job, you’d have switched contractors already. I’mm get the ingots… and do my best not to take his head with them.”

His head nodded along as she explained a little more of her job to him, taking in all this information at once and storing it away fro later. There wasn’t a task that his loyal heart wasn’t prepared to help him with. Shake, if she asked him to step foot on their territory and pick fights with the San’s Birth one by one he’d do it.

Blacksmithing, though nothing he had ever excelled in, was always something he found rather fun. He loved learning about how to forge a lakan as a child. Perhaps, starting off simple, he could certainly help. “Well, we can make it up together. You’d have to show me the ropes. I only remember bits and pieces from my childhood but I’d be honoured to pull my weight around here any way that I can.”

“I would certainly work. Now that you’ve got me around, you’ll be hard pressed to get rid of me.” grinned Aer’wyn. “Now go to sleep already. I’ll watch over Ebon until then and you must be exhausted.”

Credit for template goes to Luminescence :idea:
Aer'wyn Grisghul

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Kelski on July 22nd, 2018, 3:12 am

“They won’t find out.” Kelski said confidently. “No one cares about a house full of Kelvics and now with an Akalak. We don’t sell or make drugs here. We don’t peddle flesh. We don’t have liquor or arms. Those are the only things that these Sunberthians care about. Jewelry is a pretty accessory, that’s all, and the people here are casts out that no one else covets.” She reassured him. Kelski firmly believed in hiding in plain sight. People only suspected things if you built walls and lived behind them. The thought caused the Kelvic to glance south, towards The Quay, realizing that the existence of The Quay also did something to hide their presence so close to them.

Kelski’s grin slowly grew. “You should learn to be an eagle. I’ll teach you to fly and you could soar with me. There’s nothing better, I swear, Aer’wyn!” The Kelvic said with quiet excitement. She liked Aer’wyn… liked him a lot. She liked that he was tactile and didn’t mind touching, something that Kelski did a lot. And he had a lot of wisdom. Kelski too had scars and after hearing what Aer said about hiding them, she wasn’t going to anymore.

“Morphing sounds amazing.” She said, stifling the urge to ask him to teach her. She’d asked Kynier once and he’d told her how dangerous it was. Farris had said the same thing. Kelski would never do anything to endanger him. “You’ll like Ren… and I hope Ebon will stay. I hope you will too and be happy here. I need someone to care for… more people are even better.” She said, glancing at Ebon and then back at Aer’wyn. “I’m glad you will go shopping… it’s a relief. I often don’t know what to wear or when. Maybe you could help me with that after we shop. I want to be presentable for meetings with my loan agent and important clients.” She added, rambling now, because indeed she was tired.

He’d seen her calendar, none of it had bothered him, and he was willing to work for her… which was something Kelski was worried about finding good help to do. He’d even help out in the workshop if she needed a hand. Kelski was quite sure she could make it interesting and fun for him if he gave her half a chance. After all, who couldn’t or wouldn’t like metal? The Kelvic yawned again, widely and curled deeper into her chair. She rarely slept in her room, the bed to big and the space too echoing compared to the bottom of the wardrobe where she was used to making a nest.

The chair suited her just fine and she shifted once more, finished curling up before giving herself a shake as if ruffling feathers into place and then immediately drifting off. Kelski forgot about the food on the hearth or checking on Ebon one last time. Aer’wyn had done more than enough to reassure her that he’d see to a few things while she was asleep and keep watch on Ebon. So the kelvic was indeed able to fall into a deep and restful sleep, a half smile on her face.

Kelski

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Kelski on September 11th, 2018, 1:58 am

Grading

Kelski

Business +4, Dagger +5, Dual Wield +5, Acrobatics +3, Hand Axe +1, Subterfuge +1, Planning +1, Persuasion +5, Leadership +4, Investigation +1, Hostessing +3, Medicine +3, Philosophy +1, Cleaning +1, Hunting +1, Scouting +1, Cooking +1

Business: Advertising For A Sale/Opening, Dagger: Dagger Vs. Ice-Pick Shanks, Dagger Vs. Hand Axe, Subterfuge: Faking Attacks, Persuasion: Getting Strangers To Trust Her, Leadership: Giving Orders After Combat, Investigation: Searching Dead Bodies, Aer’wyn: Akalak/Fighter of Sunberth, Ebon: Healer of Rak’Keli/Night Lion Kelvic, Sisala: Ebon’s Dead Bondmate Healer, Medicine: Cleaning And Caring For Basic Wounds, Aer’wyn: Has only one arm, Can Magically Make a Second One, Aer’wyn: Hires Him For a Guard, Morphing: The Magic Of Changing One’s Body

Aer’wyn

Observation +5, Stealth +2, Planning +2, Bastard Sword +5, Brawling +2, Unarmed Combat +3, Body Building +3, Leadership +3, Investigation +5, Logic +3, Philosophy +1, Medicine +5, Meditation +1, Morphing +1, Teaching +2

Stealth: Sneaking Up On A Crime Scene, Planning: Assessing A Battle Scene, Brawling: Using Ones Shoulder As A Weapon, Unarmed Combat: Throat Kicking, Medicine: Knowing The Quickest Way To Kill A Man (Slitting Throat), Investigation: Searching Dead Bodies, Kelski: Jeweler/Fighter of Sunberth, Ebon: Healer of Rak’Keli/Night Lion Kelvic, Sisala: Ebon’s Dead Bondmate Healer, Midnight Gem: Kelski’s Business/Home, Midnight Gem: Layout, Medicine: Cleaning And Caring For Basic Wounds, Logic: Thinking A Healers Bag Will Have Medicine, Medicine: Suturing Basic Wounds, Kelski: Accepts Mages & Magic, Kelski: Offers Him Employment, Kelski: Holds a Mark From Akajia, Guard: The Appointment Book & Job Explained, Kelski: Her Schedule And Needs From Him, Kelski: Will Pay Him Fair Guard Wages

Kelski

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Previous