Open Scouting New Territory

Where in Nya leads a party into The Maw for practice and to locate perhaps more ruins.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Syka is a new settlement of primarily humans on the east coast of Falyndar opposite of Riverfall on The Suvan Sea. [Syka Codex]

Moderator: Gossamer

Scouting New Territory

Postby Nya Winters on August 6th, 2018, 8:17 pm

Timestamp: 60th of Summer, 518 AV

"This isn't a good idea." Nya all but snarled at the Founder. She was in a mood and Randal was having none of it. The Kelvic paced back and forth restlessly, her sturdy isaus shorts and cropped top causing her to blend into the surrounding jungle due to their camouflaged dye job. Juli more than likely had a hand in the new garments because all of Syka had been suffering in the summer heat until they'd slowly transitioned from cotton and leather to isaus cloth.

Despite the Kelvics obvious agitation, Randal Dor looked calm. He was leaning against one of the railings of The Commons with a slightly amused smile on his face. He had his arms folded across his bare chest and he was leaned back wearing only a set of isaus shorts. Even his feet were bare. This wasn't his first rodeo with Nya's surly personality and it probably wouldn't be his last.

"You need to spend some time with people. You're getting the way you get when you've been out in the jungle too long." He argued, patiently waiting out the storm that was bound to happen.

"I stay in the jungle because I don't WANT to be around people." She countered, staring at him like he'd lost his mind if he indeed was going to move on to the argument that being around people was good for her. It wasn't. She couldn't stand them and only came in to The Commons to report back to Randal for her job or to get some real cooking when she got tired of eating raw.

"Listen, Nya... we pay you to scout and protect. But these people need real experiences out in the jungle. If someone doesn't go with them, they will eventually go on their own due to curiosity. But if we start sending them out with you , one or two at a time, then they will gain valuable skills and you'll have some company along the way while you do your work. I want you to scout northeast today, cut a trail along the ridge that leads from behind the Commons, and see what's beyond the upslope and plateau up there. Take it out about five miles, mark the trail, and come back in. If you see anything interesting along the way, note it on your map and then add it to the main map back at The Tidepool. Got it?" He said, a smile on his face. Randal actually liked Nya. He'd seen through the course abrasive woman more than once and had taught her a great deal about Wilderness Survival already.

It was true most of her facade was an act. People just made her tired though and she had little faith that they'd follow through on what they said they'd do. Nya had spent a year in Ravok's Blacksun's Temple, in a prison vault well below the surface and had came out vastly different when she'd gone in. Fearless, brave, full of spunk in a way her bondmate had called her light and laughter, Nya had emerged something dark and dangerous, unwelcoming relationships and without a bondmate or husband. Her ex-bondmate had emerged as an Ebonstryfe solider, Rhysol marked, and sleeping with the priestess who had first imprisoned them. That woman had given him a son that Nya herself could not, and while he'd played house with her, Nya had been sold to the Kelvic Research Institute.

She was free now. And had gone as far away from Ravok as she could get to lick her wounds and start over. In Syka she'd found a place she could be herself, someplace accepting of Kelvics and tolerant of her new abrasive attitude. Most of her anger and resentment she'd worked off on innocent jungle vines. She also kept The Commons and everywhere close to where the settlers lived free of snakes. And then there was this. The new Ranger Corps that Randal had seemingly so callously left her in charge of. He gave her direction only rarely, and the rest of the time left her to her own devices.

And those devices were normally cutting trail, locating new places that might contain resources the Settlement could use. All of the above was dangerous to those untrained in the jungle and now resentfully Nya had to add babysitting to her job description as she scowled at Randal.

"Fine. But its on you if I don't return with all of them." She muttered, then settled in to wait for whomever Randal thought should go with her.

"I'll have folks rounded up who are interested in going in a quarter bell. Sit tight and try not to scare them when they start showing up." He said with a grin, and pushed off from the railing to wander over to the stairs that lead down to the beach from the lofted area. Undoubtedly he was going to spread the word that Nya was leading a small expedition into the jungle.

The Kelvic hopped up on a table, sat down cross-legged, and began to braid her unruly brindled hair. She was obviously not happy with this plan, but there was nothing she could do about it.

Nya Winters
Let the winds in my heart blow...

Words: 784686
Joined roleplay: June 7th, 2009, 6:53 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Trailblazer (1) Never Say Die (1)
Donor (1) 2017 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)
2017 Top NaNo Word Count (1)

Scouting New Territory

Postby Sophia Sunshore on August 6th, 2018, 9:40 pm

Sophia scrunched her toes into the sand as the sea gently rushed in over her feet. The water was blissfully cool which was a welcome relief from the relentless heat that had been beating down on Syka as the middle of the Summer season had drawn over. The young Svefra woman had been regularly coming down to the water to cool off during the past week, even going for a short swim when she had the time to. It was even worse up in Uta's Place - the proximity to the rainforest often made it too humid to concentrate for long.

After a few moments with her feet in the water, Sophia splashed over to one of the large flat rocks just up from the ocean at the end of her land. She climbed up and sat on the top of it, retrieving an orange she had put there earlier. Pearl, her Tavan, landed next to her and settled down to sun her wings.

Sophia carefully peeled the orange and then popped the segments into her mouth one by one. She smiled. Life in Syka had far surpassed her expectations in the brief time she had been here. The combination of beach and jungle was so incredibly unique and exciting, though the woman wished she was more confident to venture into the trees more often. Her occasional expeditions with Uta were occurring less and less at the moment.

She licked a trickle of orange juice off her hand as a voice rang out behind her. "Sophia" She turned to see Randal standing up by the top of her land. She quickly hopped down off the rock, Pearl completely ignoring her departure, and jogged lightly over to where the Founder waited for her. "Hi Randal, what's up?" She smiled.

"I'm looking for a few people to head on a small expedition into the jungle. I know you go with Uta sometimes, so would you be up for it?" Sophia nearly jumped with excitement. "Oh definitely! Yes please, count me in! When is it?" Randal smiled at her enthusiasm and slightly raised a shoulder. "Now?"
The Svefra woman paused before laughing. "Well I had plans to go swimming and eat oranges today but I'm sure I can reschedule." The Founder laughed before he spoke again. "Great, you'll be going with Nya. She's waiting at The Commons, so grab your stuff and head over. I'm going to carry on up and see who else wants to go."

She waved Randal off and set about filling her backpack with anything useful she could think of. He had forgotten to tell her how long they would be out for so she deliberated over just how much she might need. In the end she went with the usual she took on her trips with Uta. Her waterskin, some fruit and other non-perishable food and her botany kit went in on top of the tiny one person tent she had managed to fold almost impossibly small at the bottom. Sophia knew that skilled people were able to build their own shelters but she certainly wasn't one of them.

Sophia quickly changed into more suitable clothing for a jungle trip. Yellow floaty tops would definitely not do the job. On went a pair of trousers made of some new material Juli had started using, and a three-quarter sleeved top. She would have preferred shorts, but she didn't fancy getting scraped by any nasty shrubs or eaten by ants. The top at least let her mark show while still being practical. Finally she tied her hair up on top of her head. Sophia had yet to master the art of a plait.

She hiked the backpack on and attached her cutlass to her waist. Sophia had no idea where they were going or how long for, but she figured it was always best to be over-prepared in the jungles. After checking that Pearl was still on the rock, she set off for The Commons. The little seabird was used to looking after herself and definitely wouldn't miss Sophi for a while.

After a short walk Sophia came up to the gathering area. It seemed she was the first to arrive, probably because her piece of land was one of the closest to the City Core. She shrugged off her pack and set it carefully down before looking up to spot Nya. The woman was sat up on a table, and Sophia smiled as she approached her.

"Nya? Hi, I'm Sophia." Her bright blue eyes took in the others green ones, and the hair that appeared brown but definitely had other subtle colours mixed in though she couldn't tell what. Sophia knew there was something she should remember about the woman but of course, she had forgotten it completely at this moment.

"Randal said that you were taking some of us into the jungle today? Hopefully I bought enough useful things with me!" Sophia's excitement was palpable, although she hoped that the woman could also tell she was responsible, if one could tell such things from appearances.

Nya, on the other hand, didn't appear to be particularly happy about the days plans, although Sophia figured that perhaps she had just been waiting for a while. Something was still niggling at her about the woman, and she flicked her gaze to her green eyes again. And then she noticed Nya's pupils. Having grown up around Kelvic she was very familiar with their kind, although she wasn't always the best at spotting them.

She smiled again, not quite sure if Nya was one for idle conversation. "I guess you've been into the jungle a lot? I have been before so I hope I won't be a liability! I go with Uta, although we seem to stick to the same sort of area a lot. Do you know where we will be going today?"
NOTE: During the Fall Sophia is a Dhani, specifically a golden eyelash viper. See here for more detailed info.
Sophia Sunshore
Plant Lady

Words: 193757
Joined roleplay: July 5th, 2018, 5:26 pm
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Featured Character (1)

Scouting New Territory

Postby Taren Coballon on August 7th, 2018, 1:14 am

Taren worked in the communal forge and had attempted to put a new edge on his hatchet. It never had a decent edge on it before so he had come here to do so. The grind wheel made short work of honing it down better and faster than he could by hand. Once he had finished and returned the tools to their places, wiped down the hatchet, he finally made his way toward the exit where he grabbed his things and headed for the beach where he ran into Randal headed his way.

“G’day Randal. How are you today?” Taren asked politely after he looked around after he heard a rumble in the sky but it appeared that a storm was brewing off in the distance. Hopefully it would not reach Syka and keep to the south but the sky was definitely darker down there.

“We have a party going into the jungle and I feel it would do you good to go with them” Randal replied.

“As guard or some other reason? Anything special I need to take?” Taren inquired quickly.

“I bit of all things I would say, an extra set of hands is never a bad thing in the jungle and I expect you can learn a few needed skills for yourself as well.” Randal informed Taren. “Nya will be leading the expedition from the commons as soon as you can get there, she is one of our best rangers.”

“Will head there now then, thank you Randal” Taren finished and grabbed his cotton shirt and slipped it on while he already wore leather pants and boots. Then he strapped his long sword on his left hip and lakan on his right hip. After he refilled his waterskin from a water barrel, he stuffed it into his pack with the hatchet, picked up his spear and pack in his left hand, and started to make his way over to the commons.

As he walked up to the commons, he saw two women sitting there talking and waiting. The dark haired lady was sitting up on a table and a blonde in front of her. Both ladies looked young and short with Taren being over seven foot tall although he had not met either of them yet he knew.

“Excuse me ladies, would one of you be Nya by chance?” asked the deep voice of the large blue akalak politely of the ladies. “I’m Taren and Randal suggested I accompany a jungle expedition today.”

He set his spear and pack next to the rail as he waited for an answer but relaxed slightly as he stood there.

Thanks to Gossamer for the boxcode
Taren Coballon
Player

Words: 77184
Joined roleplay: July 11th, 2018, 2:55 am
Race: Akalak
Character sheet

Scouting New Territory

Postby Nya Winters on August 12th, 2018, 2:32 pm

Nya nodded a polite greeting to the woman. Sophia? The Kelvic looked her over and listened to her words, and shrugged at her question about being in the jungle a lot. She’d been there as much as some and less than others for sure. “What did you bring in your pack?” The Kelvic asked, curious and trying to see what Sophia thought of as useless verses useful. She also answered her second question just as the newcomer, an Akalak, approached. Nya made sure he heard as well.

“We’re scouting northeast today, cutting a trail along the ridge that leads from behind the Commons and looking around to see whats beyond the upslope and plateau up there… maybe out about five miles and looping back in. Ten miles is a lot for one days so we might camp and overnight and come in on the morning.” She answered Sophia, filling her in on Randal’s orders.

Nya nodded at Taren as he spoke and she responded in kind. “I’m Nya, this is Sophia. It is nice to meet you.” The Kelvic said. She wasn’t much of a people person and really it wasn’t that nice to meet either of them, but she was being polite for Randal’s sake. “I’d like to know what you brought in your pack.” She said carefully and neutrally. She also took the time to give both of them the once over, checking for boots that at least concealed their calves and protected them from snakebite.

“I don’t want either of you to leave without basic survival items. Each of you should have a Firestarter and dried tinder. We’re hot and humid here, but deep in the jungle its wet and muddy and you will go a long time to find tinder that’s dry enough to start a fire. Make sure your tinder will stay dry. Fire can save your life. You need a small hand axe, a knife that’s extremely strong and razor sharp, some sort of map and hopefully a compass though even I don’t have one because of their expense. You need a first aid kit, proper clothing… especially thick leather boots that cover your calves and hopefully gloves. Here in Syka we have Isuas cloth.. its lightweight and better than cotton and doesn’t retain the moisture. If you stay wet you can get hypothermia and pneumonia. You want stuff that’s tough, lightweight, and will dry out quickly. Then you should each have a hank of cordage. I want tough braided hemp rope or braided Isuas. You need a full flask of water, and anything you can put in your pack to keep you sane. I suggest a journal and ink, or something equally amusing…. That you can burn if you need to in order to start a fire. I’d also like to see hooks, and a bit of fishing line.” Nya said matter of factly. “Mine also has a lightweight hammock and a oilskin tarp in it. I also have a bedroll that’s lightweight but warm. The hammock gets me off the ground when I need to sleep… ants are nasty and so too are the snakes that will come join you in your pack. The tarp keeps me dry.” She added, studying either of them to see if they were paying attention.

“The first aid kit should have bug repellant in it, bandages, bindings for securing them, sheers, scalpel, suture and needle, ointment that will help wounds heal, and wound-stop powder. The healer here locally supplies the medicines for a small fee.” Nya added, leaning back and looking at each of them, hoping they were prepared to go. She didn’t want this to take all day.

“Then I carry the Kukri in my hand and keep the axe on my belt.” She informed them, understanding more than they did that Randal wanted them out in the woods and learning about survival. And he also wanted Nya interacting with more people, worried she’d go feral. She wouldn’t, but he didn’t need to know that.

"Now... how are you doing in terms of being prepared?" She asked, tilting her head and watching each of them curiously.

Nya Winters

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Scouting New Territory

Postby Sophia Sunshore on August 12th, 2018, 3:37 pm

Sophia blinked at the lack of greeting and abrupt question she was met with. Before she had a chance to answer, a set of footsteps sounded behind her, and she glanced round to see who else was joining them. An Akalak approached the pair, and Sophia smiled at him by way of greeting, for Nya had already started to speak again.

A scouting expedition. She felt a small thrill of excitement at exploring an area nobody had seen before, but there was also a healthy dose of nerves underneath. Five miles didn't sound like a lot really, but the young woman knew that in the jungle every distance took at least twice as long to cover than it would over a nice, flat terrain. As Nya introduced her to the newcomer, Sophia smiled again. "Hi Taren."

She listened intently as Nya then proceeded to run through an incredible list of items that one might need in the rainforest. Sophia definitely had a lot of what was mentioned, but there were also some gaps for sure. It hadn't helped that Randal had not been particularly descriptive when he had stopped by to let her know of the trip.

She dragged her pack over and flipped open the flap. She had the feeling that Nya would want to see rather then just be told. The small tent was clearly visible, Sophia had tied it up on the underside of the backpack. It was also clear to see the boots that adorned the young woman's feet. They perhaps did not reach quite as high up her shins as Nya's did, but they definitely reached a way over her ankles. "I think my trousers are made of that stuff...I forgot the name but Juli recommended them to me." Sophia's top was not of the material however, but at least the sleeves were long.

From the pack she showed Nya the flint and steel she carried for starting fire, her filled waterskin, her journal, and at the bottom was her tarp, bedroll, a coil of rope and some insect netting. There was also some non-perishable food including a few of oranges. "I don't have a map or a compass. I suppose I can use pages from my journal to start a fire... I don't have a medicine kit either, Uta has that when we go out though I do have bandages and lavender oil to clean a wound out with. And camphor oil which I use as repellent."

"Oh I have a cutlass too." She twisted so that the woman could see the curving sword where it was attached to a belt. "I don't have an axe... but this is quite good at chopping thinner branches."

Sophia was a little concerned that she was lacking in a few items, but quietly please she had thought to bring along most of the things with her. After she had finished showing Nya what she had bought, Sophia carefully re-packed her backpack. There was certainly a little extra room if she had to go and locate some of the items she was missing.

She would move aside while Taren detailed what he had bought along with him, and then wait to see what Nya thought of her supplies. It was a daunting amount of things one apparently needed, but then again the rainforest was a daunting place. Who really knew what was in there. The Svefra had clearly been a very lucky woman on her previous forays into the trees.
NOTE: During the Fall Sophia is a Dhani, specifically a golden eyelash viper. See here for more detailed info.
Sophia Sunshore
Plant Lady

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Featured Character (1)

Scouting New Territory

Postby Taren Coballon on August 14th, 2018, 2:48 am

Taren acknowledged Nya as she spoke and noted each as Nya introduced the pair and he returned Sophia’s smile as she acknowledged him. Both of the ladies seemed polite and nice. Nya informed them they would be a scouting expedition to the northwest which seemed easy enough although after the last couple of days he knew it may sound much easier than it would be. Regardless of arriving just a couple of days ago, he was mentally prepared to jump into the forest and actually looked forward to it.

Taren listened to Nya’s list of requirements and quickly realized how underprepared he was, he hadn’t even taken the time to think that far ahead. He brought himself back to listen to Nya as she talked and started to make a mental note of the items on her list that he was deficient in and that he would have to purchase. When Nya talked about a “hank of cordage”, Taren had to think quickly as his common was good but he couldn’t remember what a hank was but figured he could sort that out later.

As Sophia showed Nya her supplies, he watched and listened to several of her comments as well to know what she thought worked as well. Sophia sounded as if she had been in the jungle a couple of times before now as well which put Taren in more of a disadvantage. Taren thought that maybe he should of thought on this much sooner as it turned out to be a little late. He doubted Nya accepted excuses to begin with from the way she listed what was needed in the jungle and Taren wasn’t about to start making them.

As Sophia stepped aside after she listed her supplies, Taren grabbed his pack and started to list what he did have without pause. “These boots should work well as you described, I just put a new edge on my hatchet, several days of rations, a cloak for warmth, and flint and steel are all with me at the moment. My water skin was just filled, my leather pants may work for now, but my shirt is cotton, and I should have no shortage of good strong sharp blades with my sword, lakan, and two daggers.” he responded plainly “However if you can point me to the store in town here, I am sure I can fill out a good portion of my supplies quickly enough to not hinder our departure by much”.

Taren quickly repacked his items and stowed the pack back with his spear by the rail as he returned to a nearby chair. Mentally he started reviewing the list he made shortly ago on what was needed as he waited.

Taren Coballon
Player

Character sheet

Scouting New Territory

Postby Nya Winters on August 30th, 2018, 4:40 pm

Nya had in fact greeted Sophia with a nod, which was common in the jungle. Sophia would have to get used to it in Syka especially among the members that didn’t talk much and trusted less. When Nya saw the tent she shook her head. “Get rid of that. It’s next to useless here. Replace it with a trap, line, and a hammock. There are ants everywhere, biting flies, and a whole host of things right on the ground. Scorpions, snakes, you name it… you’re flesh will be well bitten and stung sitting in a tent. They get in a hundred ways and if you try to seal it somehow, they’ll just chew through the canvas.” Nya commented, knowing it was extra weight Sophia didn’t need. “The insect netting is useless too. We have bugs so small they just crawl through it and bite you anyhow. Half the insects are repelled by the oil, half are attracted to it.” Nya wouldn’t force any issues. But Randal had told her to make sure she kept the new folks alive, so all she could do was offer advice.

“You should have some dried tinder in there. Everything interior wise is always wet. Flint and steel won’t start you a fire if you have nothing dry to burn.” The Kelvic said, her voice soft, patient, trying to keep any annoyance out of it. You need rope too. The tarp is useless if you have nothing to hold it up with to keep the rain off you.” The Talderian Forest cat advised. “And I didn’t see any food in there. Food is never a bad idea… at least some jerky or anything that won’t be spoiled by heat or damp.” She advised. Hoping that Sophia didn’t forget water as well.

Water was less of a problem though. Heat and food was.

Taren spoke next and Nya listened patiently. “That’s a good start. You’ll need rope, tarp, a hammock… I hope Juli has one that is big enough for you. You are a large man. If not we can make do and have the weaver make one especially long and strong. The waterskin is smart, rations as well… I’ll show you dried tinder…. We’ll can swing by the mercantile on our way out.” She said, looking thoughtful and nodding. “Just bring your things Taren.” Nya said, setting off at a brisk pace. They were really close to the mercantile anyhow, so visiting Juli was no issue. She had them there in just a few chimes worth of a walk.

“While you guys shop, I’ll be down here getting us tinder.” Nya said, opening a lock box beneath the Mercantile where some things were stored. There was literally a crate full of coconut husk already pre-dried. She didn’t feel bad taking from it because she was one of the ones that had started storing it, having people drop off the brown almost fur-like substance by the armfuls. It made the best tinder in the jungle where everything was wet or rotting. She had a small oil sack for each of them stuffed to almost capacity by the time they returned and she handed them the little bundles to add to their packs.

“This is coconut husk. Save it because it dries well here on the beach, and if you keep it in a small oiled cloth bag, you can really stuff it in and it will be warm and dry for getting a fire started in the rainforest even under the worst conditions.” Nya added, and then waited for both of them to indicate they’d gotten what they needed and were ready.

When they were, Nya set off, Kukri drawn and within a short time they were off the beaten path and moving into deep jungle. The Forest Cat kept her Kukri moving, but in her other hand she kept a bright red ribbon roll that seemed higher quality than most people might actually use. “Isuas ribbon.. dyed with a berry that keeps the stain bright for a long long time. The grove keeper makes it for us.” Nya added, hacking off lengths of the ribbon every line of sight or about ten feet. One ribbon she hung on the side of the tree that faced the direction they were going. The other ribbon she tied on the opposite side of the tree. As they looked back behind them they could see the trail of ribbon leading back to the settlement – at least partially – as it was swallowed into the jungle.

“When you mark trail with this stuff… always mark both sides of the tree. Overmark rather than undermark. You want to be able to find the trail in the line of sight clearly and you want to make sure someone can follow it coming or going.” Nya instructed, gesturing to Taren and Sophia to widen the trail Nya herself was cutting on either side. As she walked, she spoke as well.

“Walking in the jungle is a lot like dancing, you two. If you walk stiff legged and firm, like you are strong, you are going to have a big issue. It will be hard. You must walk light footed, testing the ground in front of you. Also keep your hips loose, your shoulders bending and twisting. You can slide through the brush that way and not hit everything that comes along. Move like the jungle grows, bent and twisted, and you’ll find your pace faster and less restricted. Out here, you must be an animal, not a human… try it…” The Kelvic encouraged.

Their trip was growing heavier and heavier in terms of the foliage. The heat was oppressive and sweat dripped off them. The ground wasn’t firm but rather mostly mud, and the jungle plants colonized very nearly every surface. Nya didn’t mind, but she worried about the humans. It was hard work forcing oneself through jungle and she decided to distract them with casual conversation.

“What brings you both to Syka?” She asked carefully.

Nya Winters

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Scouting New Territory

Postby Sophia Sunshore on September 4th, 2018, 8:34 pm

Sophia listened carefully to Nya's comments on the contents of her pack. Her hand hovered over the small tent tied up to the bottom of the rucksack as the woman shook her head at it. Quickly she un-clipped the canvas, removing the tent from her supplies and stashing it off in one corner of the Commons. Note to self, tents are useless in the jungle. Maybe she could use it to store something in back on the beach.

She added a hammock to the mental list she would no doubt need to make for things to purchase on their way out, and the returned her attentions to Nya. The tarp she had folded into the bottom of her rucksack, the rope coiled on top at least. She had yet to run into issues with the camphor oil, but if the Mercantile had any proper repellent perhaps she'd pick that up too - after all she'd never ventured too deep before and maybe the bugs today would be different.

Food was a check, as was water. The Svefra never went anywhere near the trees without both of those things. The oranges might not last as long as the proper non-perishable food, but she kept them in there anyway. Nya must have missed them under the insect netting. She had barely gotten her pack back in order as Taren finished up and Nya announced they were heading for the Mercantile. She hastily swung the backpack onto her shoulder and stepped out after the others. It had seemed like the Akalak was in a similar situation to herself and would need to make purchases too.

In the Mercantile, Sophia was pleased to see that everything the pair needed appeared to be in stock. She purchased a hammock, some repellent, an extra fishing line, and also decided to add a dagger as a small, extra blade to carry. While in the store, Sophia smiled over at Taren again. "How are you feeling about going into the jungle? Have you been there before?" She arranged her new items into her pack and then made her way outside again to find Nya.

Sophia took the bundle the woman presented her with, and added it to her supplies. "Huh, I never thought about using the coconuts like that." Now that she was aware how useful the rough furry outsides of the coconuts were she would definitely start to save them. "Luckily Juli found everything I needed so I'm ready to go." After waiting for Taren to confirm the same, Sophia turned and headed after Nya and into the trees.

She mimicked the other woman and took her cutlass from her belt, holding it loosely in her hand. Curiously, she watched as Nya cut and tied the bright red ribbon onto the trees as they passed. A small 'ohh' of realisation left her as it was explained as a trail that would lead them back out of the jungle when they were ready to return. She glanced over her shoulder, seeing the red stand out easily against the backdrop of trees.

She walked to one side of the Kelvic, widening the trail as had been requested. She split her concentration between listening to Nya and making sure she wasn't about to trip over anything as best as she could. She knew from a previous foray with Uta that it was easy to catch your foot on an exposed root and have your face find the ground. She nodded to herself as Nya gave them advice on how to properly manoeuvre through the trees. Sophia wasn't one for striding anywhere, so she perhaps found this new way of walking easier than she thought the much taller Taren might. She loosened her shoulders and tried to imagine herself supple like grass as she moved along behind the other woman.

Soon enough though it wasn't just stray roots she needed to worry about, as the further they pressed, the softer the jungle floor became and now she had to avoid slipping and tripping. Sweat ran down the back of her neck and she was glad to have remembered to tie her hair up. She wasn't quite out of breath, but she could definitely tell she was working hard. At Nya's question, she paused to see if Taren would answer first. When he didn't, Sophia supplied her part.

"I spent my entire life on a boat, and I never really belonged there. I always thought that I was meant to be on land, and I think it took me far too long to actually bring myself here!." She used her cutlass to chop back a plant that possessed rather intimidating thorns before continuing. "I have always wanted to learn about the plants that grow on land, and when I heard of Syka I couldn't imagine anything better." Her story was a simple one, but arriving here had certainly turned the Svefra's life upside down. Sophia would pause, waiting for Taren to share his response, and then if he did not ask the same of Nya, Sophia would. "What about you Nya? You've been here for a while longer than both of us I'm sure!" Sophia was curious to know more about the woman, and Taren too, for she had never gotten a chance to converse much with any Akalak during her short stay in Riverfall.

ooc :
Sorry for the dealy - I jsut started a new job! I hope my response is alright to go on Taren!
Sophia Sunshore
Plant Lady

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Featured Character (1)

Scouting New Territory

Postby Taren Coballon on September 5th, 2018, 11:11 pm

Taren listened to Nya’s information and found himself agreeing with most of it or at least deferred to her experience for the rest and fell into step with them to the mercantile where he followed Sophia into the the store. Inside they split apart and picked up the things each needed although they continued their discussion.

“No I haven’t been in the jungle yet, I actually just arrived a couple of days ago but I am looking forward to it. Although if I’m not mistaken, you and I both may be much more ‘comfortable’ on the Plains” He said politely and pointed towards her arm as he half followed her around and grabbed some of the same items she did. He was forced to spend an extra chime or two picking out the largest of the hammocks before he proceeded on. He hoped it was big enough for him, regardless it would have to do for time being.

Once Juli was finished with Sophia, she quickly helped him find a small piece of cotton fabric to buy. With rope, insect repellent, hammock, canvas, and he noticed a fishing kit which he thought would come in handy at some point. Juli had it all neat for him by the time he finished paying so he could leave quickly. He grabbed his purchases and thanked Juli as he walked out the door.

“Thank you and should be ready now” he responded to Nya as she handed him the sack of tinder, he set his pack on his back after putting the tinder into the top and closing it up.

He listened to Nya’s instructions on marking while he drew his long sword to widen the path behind him after falling a little more behind to account for his longer blade. He hacked away at the side and often took a little off the top as he stood taller then either of the others. Within chimes he realized several things about the jungle, it was going to take some time to figure out how to move his large frame around the jungle, using his father’s long sword in this matter seemed wrong in so many ways, and it also was way too long for effective use on this brush in the close quarters. On the good side his sword arm will be solid granite soon enough.

Taren didn’t especially feel a want to answer Nya’s question and when Sophia answered it gave him a moment to form an appropriate answer. “I had started feeling stifled in Riverfall and it’s etiquette so when I heard about Syka, I immediately felt drawn to this place too. So far I’m quite glad I followed that feeling here, to be honest.” Taren answered after Sophia with much more than he had intended but also realized how true the last of that statement was becoming. Not that life here would be easier at all, probably the opposite but he was becoming a little more comfortable and relaxed with each passing day.

As Sophia asked her question of Nya, he also found himself curious of these two. He hadn’t figured until now that Sophia must be a recent arrival as he was,he would of guessed she had been here for a while. He found himself uneasy in the current talk so he continued to watch his steps and work on the trail while he listened to the conversation. Not sure if it was just his own trepidations with socializing or something more tangible but he decided to wait and watch carefully.

LedgerCanvas - 3 sq yard 3sm
Insect Repellent 1gm
Rope, Hemp 50ft 1gm
Hammock 5gm
Cloth, sq yd (Cotton) 6sm
Fishing kit 10gm

-17 GM 9 SM

Last edited by Taren Coballon on October 2nd, 2018, 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Taren Coballon
Player

Character sheet

Scouting New Territory

Postby Nya Winters on September 7th, 2018, 2:08 am

Nya didn’t much like boats, so she couldn’t blame Sophia for wanting something different. It must have been hard not belonging where Sophia was and knowing that all at once. “I’m glad you came.” She said simply, warming up to the woman who felt so alien in the place she’d grown up in. Nya could relate. “There certainly are a great many plants to learn about here. You could spend a lifetime I suspect and never learn them all.” She added, gesturing around her.

The Ranger kept them moving, wanting this area scouted and trail cut. She hung ribbons, but eventually cut off lengths for both Sophia and Taren – handing them the ribbon – so they could help hang them as they walked. Her goal was to get them used to good habits so even when they took walks, they wouldn’t ever get lost. It was easy to get confused or turned around in the jungle. “Get yourself rolls of ribbon from Juli as well. She will just give you some if you ask.” Nya advised, glancing between the two, finding their company not completely unbearable. She didn’t like people, not as a rule, but these two were not chatterboxes and weren’t bumbling along. They were actively trying and picking up skills as they went along.

Soon enough they came to a big game trail – mostly made by Tapir – and Nya paused there. She still hadn’t answered Sophia’s question, as if she were debating on how to do so. So instead she took this as a teaching moment and squatted in an odd way where she rested on her heels. “Stay off these trails when you find them. It’s fine to cross them and note where they are, but big predators will frequent them. If you are lost and want to follow them, shadow them from several feet in the brush even if the walking is more difficult. They will usually go from one water source to another. But its far better to avoid them if you can.” She said, knowing the new settlers often thought game trails were easy walking and preferred. “Never camp by them either.” She added, mainly for the same reason that it would lead a big cat or other sort of predator straight to their camp. “And when you rest in the jungle, don’t ever rest on your rump. The leaf litter is filled with biting ants, spiders, and scorpions. Just use your heels as a seat.” She added, then glanced at Taren.

Taren’s answer to her own question made Nya nod. “People do that to me too… at least big cities.” She added, understanding the need to want to leave a city, to find more solitude and peace. The Kelvic had avoided Sophia’s question long enough.

“I did a year in Ravok’s Blacksun Temple’s prison. I found a Temple to Rhysol outside of Syliras and burned it to the ground. The Ebonstryfe and the Blacksun hunted myself and my husband afterwards. They finally captured us. It was a rough time. I came here to … feel better.” She said finally, glancing between the two of them before moving on. She didn’t mention Abashai or what befell him. It was a long and awful story, one that while she wasn’t trying to forget, was something she wasn’t ready to really talk about.

After that, she rose, crossed the game trail, and kept going…. noting the game trail with ribbon before she moved on. The Kelvic moved through the thickness of the jungle, zigging and zagging, crossing over trees, ducking under overhangs. When she stopped abruptly and held up her arms, then she quietly pointed.

ImageGrazing in a herd of three, Nandhai were gathered ahead of them. While enormous, the smallest was around six foot at the shoulders while the largest was more than eight feet. Nya watched them a moment, and glanced over her shoulder. “They are good eating, but gentle…. Lets circle around them.” She said softly, and turned left, then moved in a giant circle to skirt the creatures and leave them undisturbed.

Nya Winters

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes