A New Philosophy

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This is the first step to starting a lore article. Please hold all conversations about lores here in this forum. No development takes place here ie Article posting. This forum is simply for threads that want to hash out what a lore should or shouldn't include as well as its merits and flaws. One can also gauge interest in new lore here as well. Polls are encouraged.

Moderator: Scribes

A New Philosophy

Postby Kynier on January 30th, 2019, 9:32 pm

This idea came to mind and I've been thinking about it for a few days now. Magic has been around forever in Mizahar and there must have been different philosophies regarding its usage in the world throughout the ages. While I have not found anything more specific than just vague references that they have existed, I was considering doing a write-up for one possible philosophy/meditative practice that has a bit of focus on Reimancy. It would probably include concepts that could be applied universally to the different forms of magic, but the more advanced forms would be focused to the one discipline. The intention is to have it be something that was developed post Valterrian, so that way its not some lost form of thinking, but probably not well known.

What do people think about that?
Sometimes the only way to win is by relinquishing a superior position.

Character Sheet
Sunberth Map
Midnight Gem Floor Plan
Kynier
Brooding Sorcerer

Words: 1048695
Joined roleplay: May 13th, 2018, 3:14 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 6
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Overlored (1) Sunberth Seasonal Challenge (1)
2018 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1) 2018 Top NaNo Word Count (1)

A New Philosophy

Postby Mauriel on February 2nd, 2019, 12:05 am

That does sound cool. It would be interesting if some philosophies fell out of fashion and got replaced by different ones - or even if that process was occurring IC right now. That way, it could be a cause for a lot of conflict among mages. Even if it's pretty niche, it can be politically/academically relevant where applicable, and some prominent NPCs can be involved in the conflict.

Have you had any more specific ideas? The focus Reimancy makes me think it's going to be something centered around balance and avoiding overgiving, but that's just a guess.
Mauriel
Shining On

Words: 158725
Joined roleplay: July 12th, 2014, 12:45 pm
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Thread (1) Artist (1)
Lhavit Seasonal Challenge (1)

A New Philosophy

Postby Kynier on February 6th, 2019, 3:34 am

While balance and Overgiving/Inordination avoidance would be good concepts to focus on, the one I will make a write-up for will be more about the elements and their usage. Including explanations of mindsets one should have when casting to be more "attuned" to their spells. So yeah, I guess a little bit of overgiving/Inordination avoidance will be included. But there would be a focus on what sort of purpose each element is supposed to serve. It'll be a little tricky I feel, because I'll want to write it up in a way that allows it be open to interpretation and less of a rule book.

I hadn't considered the conflicting philosophies aspect. That would be really interesting.
Sometimes the only way to win is by relinquishing a superior position.

Character Sheet
Sunberth Map
Midnight Gem Floor Plan
Kynier
Brooding Sorcerer

Words: 1048695
Joined roleplay: May 13th, 2018, 3:14 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 6
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Overlored (1) Sunberth Seasonal Challenge (1)
2018 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1) 2018 Top NaNo Word Count (1)