PM to join Mistaken identity (Crylon Stonecraft)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A lawless town of anarchists, built on the ruins of an ancient mining city. [Lore]

Moderator: Morose

Mistaken identity (Crylon Stonecraft)

Postby Vasin on March 26th, 2019, 12:00 am

"Oh?" Vasin asked partially curious looking to Crylon. He rubbed his chin thinking about it."Yeah, I suppose that board inside would be a good a place as any to look for workers." he said with a moment of pause."Never considered putting a posting up myself. Might be useful for that map..." Vasin said considering the option."Regardless I am sure you will find no shortage of people looking for work. Though depending on whatever talent that is, well you might be kept waiting for a little." Vasin reasoned though not to discourage. Vasin did wonder what talents Crylon was looking for. Though he did not want to pry into the life of the man he had pretty much wronged into a beating.

"Not exactly, but yeah not every place has a roof or wall without holes. You won't get rained on while in there." Vasin said looking to the Tavern itself."It is nice mainly because it is neutral territory. No gang has a stake in it, and the owners keep it that way. The bouncers also keep the place relatively safe. So it's nice because the atmosphere ya see?" he tried to explain to Crylon. Vasin's definition of a nice building was set by the fact that he lived in a tent. So any place that kept you dry was a nice place in his book. But someone with higher standards he supposed would enjoy a more sound building. He did indeed recall how they called the building earlier a pile of crud. Vasin thus believed Crylon must have a higher standard. Must be frustrating to live in Sunberth then he reckoned.

"Make that two." Vasin signaled as he took a seat."Well, the job is mainly about getting it right the first time and not picking fights with people who do not owe money." he would say with a pause."I'm a debt collector more or less." Vasin said shifting on top of his seat which did not struggle as hard with him."But aside from that, I am a bit of an explorer and mapmaker."
Vasin
Player

Words: 290557
Joined roleplay: December 7th, 2018, 10:03 pm
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Mizahar Grader (1)

Postby Crylon Stonecraft on March 26th, 2019, 10:15 pm

Crylon waited patiently as the human appeared to ponder his answer. Whether this was out of a desire to be clear to someone clearly not fluent in common, or because he wanted to prepare his words... Well Crylon could not be sure, but knowing Sunberth the second seemed more likely to him.

His response to Crylon's mind was rather one sided. He had known it was a place to get jobs, but had not ever considered the reverse? Such was the mentality of Sunberth, wanting from others but not wanting to be the one doing on the other end to make that want possible. Or, Crylon pondered to himself, was this perhaps more of a commonality among humans and not necessarily Sunberthians specifically?

As the human continued though it did seem he had a side interest, or a side endeavor. Perhaps a plan for something more some day? Map making? An odd thing Crylon felt for Sunberth, but still better than many other things. And something productive, where at the end of the day you could feel like you had done something. Plus it was something tangible, a craft of sorts though not in the traditional sense.

“My trade is make, to build. Design, and make. If make, make quality. Sunberth standards, is good if no holes in walls not supposed be. No gaps in roof let in rain. Crylon standards, those minimum standards not mark of good. Those average, passable, minimum. Good is... Above standard, above base of what intended for building. Is... More.”

As the barkeeper returned their drinks, Crylon motioned for his human companion. Once he had paid and he had a good pull of the drink, he would continue their discussion.

“If job is get right money, from right people, without fight... Might want work on that part job. Put more... Learning... Research? In, before approach, maybe. Not all Isur same, big detail miss when get completely wrong Isur. Is like... Like looking for goat, and try to take bear instead. Not same.”

“What is explore? Or make map of? Have any? Seems hard place, map, Sunberth. Main stay same, but rest change lot.”

Taking another sip Crylon eyed Vasin, giving him a chance to answer before proceeding.

“You have divine you worship, Vasin?”
Crylon Stonecraft
Player

Words: 679695
Joined roleplay: June 2nd, 2018, 4:26 am
Race: Isur
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 4
Featured Thread (2) Mizahar Grader (1)
Overlored (1)

Postby Vasin on April 1st, 2019, 6:32 pm

"Well..." Vasin would start to say but paused trying to wrap his head around what Crylon had said."Above standards huh?" Vasin would say before glancing around the Tavern. It was old, worn, and not all that well put together but appeared normal as can be for Vasin."If you were the one who built this place, what would you have done differently?" Vasin asked genuinely curious about what exactly he meant. To him, Crylons initial answer had been vague. What did he mean by minimum standards? What was his above standard? Vasin did not have the best frame of reference for thinking of what the above standard Crylon spoke of was. Did he mean the building material? Maybe if this place was made of stone or something?

"Ha..." Vasin gave a slight laugh."I suppose you are right on that part." he would say with a shake of his head."I cannot always rely on what the Secretary at the front desk tells me. I need to dig in a bit deeper." Vasin said adjusting in his seat a little."But yeah, I would for certain say he was a bear. Took me down with his bear's hand like one. Less biting though." he said recalling how awhile back he had a run in with a bear."I'm guessing his standards for fighting are like your standards for building? On a whole other level compared to the Average person here in Sunberth." Vasin said having been thoroughly humbled.

"Well, explore it to head out and find discover things. Find things that you have not seen before. Get a better picture of the world. Then, if I draw a map I can show other people the way to those things. Though I'm not too sure too many people around here are interested in such things."

"Nope, I don't" Vasin said rather simply."Never gave it any thought. Too busy doing other stuff."
Vasin
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Mizahar Grader (1)

Postby Crylon Stonecraft on April 2nd, 2019, 11:53 pm

Taking a large sip Crylon listened, pondering the humans words. Or lack thereof in this case, Crylon supposed to himself. Had the human truly not considered there might be more to a building? The way he did not spoke in truth spoke volumes, forcing a grin onto his face as he replied to his evasive question which was in truth a question rather than an answer to his own question.

“Build stronger. Ground reach up to support roof, more than just means of keeping roof up. Is... Art, to how design. How work together. Here walls just nough to cover out rain. Nothing more, maybe not even that. Is make... More. Stronger. More solid. Less... Cutting to minimum of what gets by.”

Gesturing as he spoke, one handed as he still held his drink, Crylon took in the building.

“Good building, sound building, work in harmony, total make up more than parts when work together. Do more less. Here, try do less with less, and not make things work together. Walls not work with floor, or ceiling, or roof. All alone. Weak, is be alone, is work alone.”

“Solid base. Solid supports. With... Grace. Function meeting form, is type of art. But one live inside. Roof come over, arch, allow more with good shaping, brace on support and walls. Support more, but also stronger. Allow more room, more air, more up. Not just what use, though also important, is how use. Wood. Stone. Metal. Is all same, is just how use. Is material, each with good, each with bad. And if know each, can use each proper.”

If his explanation was lost on the human Crylon would not be surprised, but still he did his best to make himself clear. How could he explain grand architecture to someone who was only familiar with Sunberth?

“In home, people build, is art, is craft, is focus. Isur, build to last. Build strong. Build grand. Take time, do right, and is worth effort as lasts to ages if done well and maintain.”

At the mention of the Coglias Crylon smiled, shaking his head. With another heavy pull he finished his drink, and motioned for the barkeep to bring him another. Surely the human did not think he was so cheap to buy off, that a single sip would suffice?

“He is not bear. He is Isur. Isur, when like him, trained... Would treat bear as treated you. I focus other things. Make, build. He focus on fight. Isur, when focus, will be good at what do. As good as he is fight, I be build. Or will be. Is just being Isur. Is natural. Is focus. Maybe you focus, you get good as well.”

“If could, would like see map. Not seen one of city. Might help with find things. Always looking, always try find things. Is... Like other place, work metal. You know of any others, where would do? Would like know. But if have map, maybe help understand city better. You try do, is good. Good try do, make better, do more. Learn. Not just live, like many in city doing. Or say... Many in city alive, but not living.”

At the humans remark on the divine, Crylon smiled again and shook his head.

“I born, follow mine. Isur, people of Isur, are all of us, child of Izurdin. Great God, he of... Strength. Persistence. Industry. Is why my people, follow so closely to his path as do. When we build, work to... Exemplify these things. Is worship to Lord Izurdin. He is gift his children special arm, like I have, like other Isur have. Is tool, to better follow in his path. If you make, if industrious, show strength, is also form of worship for Him. Is not just for Isur. But if not want, not want. Is not make. Is own choice. But for self... Is for.”

WC: 648
Last edited by Crylon Stonecraft on April 25th, 2019, 12:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
Crylon Stonecraft
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Vasin on April 6th, 2019, 6:20 pm

Vasin considered what Crylon had said about how he would have built this place. He glanced around trying to imagine what he had described. Ground reach up to support roof? Solid, that was the word his mind caught onto as he explained it. Perhaps the walls and supports were too flimsy? Just enough to keep out the rain as he had suggested. Thicker walls and thicker supports sunk into the ground to make it more stable? Kind of like a tent stake anchored into the dirt. Or maybe he meant more like the foundation supporting it? Regardless it sounded like he wanted something sturdy and more able to take abuse. The supports, walls, and roof did not seem meshed together. More like they were laid on top of one another and bonded with material occasionally. He spoke of building techniques, and the majority of it went over Vasin's head with some absorbing in his mind. However, Vasin got the gist of it for certain. Bridges typically had an arch, so that made sense. It all made a lot of sense the more he thought about it. But, it was as Crylon said, people here want to do less with less.

"I think I understand most of what you are saying." Vasin started to say."Especially with that whole less with less part." he said with a shrug."Typically people here... they don't build to last like with what you are saying. Buildings need constant upkeep. Its why the library map I found has buildings in different places I reckon." he said with a pause thinking about it a little more."People around here also probably only build one part at a time. They probably don't plan how it all works together. They get the floor, build the walls, then slap a roof on it. Not like what you are talking about. There are probably a couple of older buildings in Sunberth though... ones that do more of what you are talking about." he said trying to recall them."But this certainly is not one of them."

Vasin smirked as Crylon would motion over another beer and would take a swig from his own."Would probably be a good idea, what with my line of work. Sooner or later my luck will really run out, and I will have to rely on skill." he said knowing that he had barely avoided his life being ended there. Vasin took another sip of his drink before giving a nod."I can show you the map I am working on for sure. It isn't completed though." he said with a pause as he would start to rummage through his things."A more complete map is the one at the library. Not accurate, but more filled out than the one I have. I think it will take some time to make it correctly." Vasin mentioned as he had trouble finding the map."My map has the southern outskirts." he said before pulling it out and would then lay it out in front of them. Indeed it crudely had the southern outskirts on it. The tent city and other places including hills marked out. Paces counted from the tent city and the size of the tent city counted in paces."I don't have any metal working places on it yet. But maybe the maps in the library do? If ya want I can show you towards there some time." he would say before looking to Crylon."I always got that feeling. Like I was alive, but not living ever since I came here. So, after I made a friend I decided to start living instead of just dreaming of living. I hoped that with map making maybe more would do the same."

"Ah..." Vasin said understanding a little of that."Those are some great traits. Also explains why you care so much for things like building... and why Donkorkos is all about fighting. It's worship to be excellent at such things." Vasin said though not entirely sure if he understood.
Vasin
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Mizahar Grader (1)

Postby Crylon Stonecraft on April 7th, 2019, 6:45 pm

Crylon sipped at his drink as the human looked about, seeming to if nothing else fully consider his words. Crylon though was not sure how much he understood, both due to his own communication issues with such technical things and the humans apparent lack of understand of fine building.

At his comment Crylon simply shrugged, taking another sip before responding.

“Is rather buy for one miza, but have to buy one hundred times as not good made, or buy for fifty miza, but not have to buy again? Sometimes, extra work, extra effort, more durable... May cost more at first, but in long, save over poor made. Quality, beat quantity. That is true of more with less, but instead here try do less with less, and then more less, and more, till coat more than more.”

Derision clear on his face at the thought of such a thing, the math seemed simple enough to his mind even if it and the story did not to the human.

“Also, poor made, not can trust. If not well made, who know when fall part. When using? When in house? When swing blade? If not make well, not able trust to work. Isur, make well. Trust make. Not have worry, not have keep buying more, seems worth spending more at first.”

“If build house are parts, is fool. Build house, are whole. No other way. Otherwise, just throwing stuff up, hope holds. No faith. No trust. Not well made, only foolish trust to last, to do as make for.”

At the mention of the map, Crylon nodded and paused in his sipping to inspect it once it was displayed. It was, he soon realized, not very detailed. But then, Crylon reminded himself, it was not a finished product. Just something begun, not finished.

“Is... Close enough. But yes, is worship, to show Izurdin's domain. Isur do, then do proper. Whatever is do. Fight. Build. Take time, get right. Where you live Vasin? You have house? If not, maybe when do, have Isur build, maybe I do. Is job, same as any other, but at end have made something. And get what pay for, or at least what pay for limits minimum of what get. If want made right, need someone make sure done right.”

“But if want show, would not mind see, or have direction to.”

WC: 393
Last edited by Crylon Stonecraft on April 25th, 2019, 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Crylon Stonecraft
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Vasin on April 14th, 2019, 2:25 pm

"You get what you pay for?" he said thinking that term itself was rather fitting for what he thought Crylon was getting at."If you buy cheap boots with lousy stitching but for really cheap, you will just end up having to buy another set later. But you buy really good boots then it will last longer than several really cheap boots. You can invest money, time, and skill into something. But if you don't invest any of those three into something then you will end up something of poor quality." he said thinking he had a grasp at what Crylon was getting at here."But yeah, here they would rather buy cheap boots then get good quality ones. Or as you said, less with less. Sometimes people don't look beyond the present." he said knowing that many in Sunberth would rather look to their immediate needs rather than their future ones.

"Lots of things can go wrong when you are using something of poor quality. Though that does remind me... There is this place..." he said looking to his sword."It's called The Knight's Armory. I hear they make the best weapons and armor in town. The owner of the place is an Isur from what I hear. So as you said when an Isur makes something one can trust the quality. Should be a good investment." Vasin nodded looking back to Crylon before taking a swig of his own drink."Are you working on any building around here? Or maybe providing inspection and maintenance services? From the sounds of things if you made a building it would be the talk of the town."

"Me? I live in a tent." he said rather plainly."Out in the tent city." he further explained."But if I ever do end up being able to afford a house I'll know whom to find." he said knowing that the next step from getting himself better gear was getting himself a proper place to live."Yeah, I can show you to the library. The place mainly has journals. But the map there will give you a better idea of the layout of the city. Once you are done with your drink I can take you there."
Vasin
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Mizahar Grader (1)

Postby Crylon Stonecraft on April 14th, 2019, 8:04 pm

Crylon shook his head at the humans response, disagreeing with his correction which had been something he had self corrected part way through.

“No, is say as mean. Not get what pay for. Pay for what get, unless don't pay. But what pay for, only limits most get, upper... Ceiling. Doesn't mean get what paid for.”

Taking another sip Crylon made a patting motion his free hand, trying to make it clear he would explain further. Holding up the half drank tankard, Crylon motioned at it with his free hand.

“You be hurt say, get roughed up finding money from wrong people. I say, this medicine, touched by... Deity. Of healing. Make you all better, if drink. Will charge five gold mizas. Say is deal. If you take, all get is backwash. Is you get what pay for? No.”

Pausing for a moment, Crylon was enjoying telling his invented tale in a roundabout way. Metaphor and explanations in his mind went hand in hand, and were needed to get a point across. Holding up a single finger, Crylon continued.

“If... You buy barrel of ale. Say charge you... Five copper mizas. Is this what worth? Is good deal. But when get home, take sip, is just muddy water. If pay more, not mean get more, not mean get what pay for. But if pay less, bottom is money allow. Is not made, barrel ale for so little. Mean either someone stole, and not have any cost, or mean not what say is. Either way, bottom only limit what pay, not top.”

“But yes, rest, is true. If spend more, and get more, then is worth more. Spend less money in long. Not many here, as you say, think long term. But caution, just because cost more, charge more, not mean worth more.”

As the two spoke, Crylon continued to sip at his drink, nodding and shaking his head occasionally. He was slowly grasping the human tongue, each season he felt like he knew it better, but he was still not fluent in it.

Still Vasin spoke clearly enough, and did not use odd terms as some did, or slang or half words mixed together like mud in the mouth, and so he did not find too much trouble piecing together his meaning.

He was interested to hear of an Isur running a forge, a place it sounded like he would need to visit some time. There were not too many of his people in the city, but he could see why one of his race would be able to make a living making things of metal. Some people, it seemed, did appreciate quality.

“Well, like say before, may get what pay for, but not always pay for what get or mean if pay get what think getting. Isur, he only one makes there? Or others? Is best make sure, if pay for Isur make, is actually Isur make and not just made in smithy where Isur make other things.”

Taking another sip, Crylon pondered the mans question, trying to find the right words to explain himself. After a few moments pause he felt he had the words tasked, or at least well enough to get his meaning across.

“Is working for lady who own Gem. Is building new place, so helping... Oversee prepare there. Not made building yet, but will. For now, focus more design, plan, that sort thing. Working on making, learning still, more than am with design.”

Taking a heavy pull Crylon held up his free hand again, and finishing off the last of it set the empty tankard down.

“Is done, if want show. And seem silly, live in city of tents, when could live in proper place. Maybe when save up money. Though seem harder keep own money, if anyone just walk through wall of tent, sneak off with. Prefer have walls, even if not ones made. Rent, seem good investment to keep safe, or safer than in tent.”

WC: 663
Crylon Stonecraft
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Vasin on May 22nd, 2019, 3:47 pm

"I think I get what you are saying now." Vasin said with a nod index finger pointed."You have to be very careful of liars and cheats, especially here in Sunberth. You could pay a merchant a good sum of money for something and then it isn't what they said it was. Come back later only to find them having run off. People around these parts are slippery." he said with a brief nod."Though the situation in which you buy stolen goods is extremely likely here as well. So its always a good idea to keep an eye out and not one's self be swayed by honey words." he said thinking for a moment."It's a good idea to purchase from people who are trustworthy. The only problem with that is that you won't know if someone is really trustworthy until you've done business with them."

"I think there is just one Isur there. Other two look human to me." Vasin stated only recalling one of them having the arm of an Isur."I think that they make most of their money by selling used equipment. But, they do special orders. Best to specify and then stick around if you want an Isur to make whatever you commission." he reasoned as he shifted on the stool a little."I'm sure the other two are not bad smiths either. If what you say is true then I don't think the Isur would tolerate bad quality in the same shop." he said basing that on what Crylon had said before about Isur.

"The Gem?" Vasin asked with a blink before glancing back over to Crylon."Huh, what are the odds? You mean Kelski right?" he questioned very briefly."I know her as well. Where is the new building going? or what is it?" he questioned out of mere curiosity.

"Its why I keep most of my valuables on me. Can't trust my neighbors you know? Anything I can stand to lose I keep back at the tent, everyone else I lug around. But, I am going to start looking for an actual place to live soon as well. Been making some gains recently, don't want to lose them so soon." he would say before standing up from the bar."All right, lets head out. To the library!" he said as if they were starting some kind of adventure.
Vasin
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Mizahar Grader (1)

Postby Crylon Stonecraft on May 23rd, 2019, 1:14 am

Crylon nodded in agreement at the mans words, true enough. He was glad he had finally managed to get his point across, once more feeling strained by the vagueness of words allowable in common. Isur certainly had one merit over the common tongue so used by humans, it was much more specific. Detailed. Explicit. Which, Crylon knew from experience, left much less room for confusion.

But then while he spoke in common, he still thought in Isur, which by its nature did not always work in translation when certain specifics and details were not things in the much sparser common.

It was a small wonder, Crylon felt, that he needed to resort to stories and long analogies to explain things. That and well, he sort of enjoyed using them to do so.

“I think you see Isur, you know Isur, not easy miss. Nough in common, know when see once see one. You know water when see water, yes, even though come in many forms?”

He realized as the human spoke the second point of contention, that the human was misunderstanding another thing he had said and meant one way, but that had been taken as another. Being Isur made, versus being made by an Isur. Subtle, but quite different.

Before he could comment on this though, he was surprised into silence to hear that this human also knew Kelski. Or at least, knew her by name as the owner of the Gem, if not actually knowing her. He had not seen the human about the Gem, so he was unsure how familiar he truly was with her.

Still, besides assaulting Crylon on a misunderstanding and without listening to what Crylon said first, he seemed a nice enough fellow. At least, by Sunberth and human standards. Limited as Crylon knew those were.

“New place, go next to Gem. Is to be place of... Celebration, think. Not so sure, is still early so not see plans for make, just helping now prepare before build. Is time off before begin. Breaking ground, before can put up on. Kelski know, is better person ask of what doing.”

Crylon rose with the human, heading outside and letting him take the lead as he was the one showing Crylon where something was. The human, Crylon found, seemed quite excited by a simple trip to the library.

Still, his mind floated back to their prior conversation as they began heading down the street, and he recalled a point of contention he had not yet explained.

“Ah, sorry, is common, so limiting. Own tongue, of Isur, much more detailed. Let explain better if knew. Not all words have in common, to give explanation. But try...”

Crylon paused for a few moments, waving his left hand about as he searched for the words he wanted in common.

“When say before, is Isur made, not same as say is made by Isur. Very different.”

“When made by Isur, yes is fine, is good, but this mean same as when made by human. If made with skill, is good, if made without skill, is bad. More likely if Isur make, is made with skill, but still just... Make what make. But made by Isur, is another thing elseways.”

Once more Crylon paused, trying to explain a concept that really had not proper wording in the common tongue. It was like trying to explain a cloud to a fish, or a additional sideways diagonal downward angle to someone who only saw in the simple dimensions of the world.

“Is say before, Isur, blessed by Izurdin. More than just arm. Though is part. He touch, touch with his domain. His industry. In turn, if true make, then Isur can... Touch what make, with bit more of Izurdin domain than when normal make. All make is touch on domain, all make is to express small bit of his gift to all. But this... More so... Is... Hard explain, if not see. But true Isur made, is much more, much different, than just being made by someone who is Isur. Is to make in way that touch on Izurdin in small part more than normal make. Is just... More.”

“Is probably not make sense. But is true, or as true can explain in this tongue. Not just not know words. This tongue not have concept of explain. Like fish to cloud.”
Crylon Stonecraft
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

PreviousNext